All Time Great Jets Who Barely Played Here

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mathis is always one of the first that comes to mind for me.  I don't recall a player who went from "nobody" to "superstar" overnight.  Had more catches in his first year with the Falcons than he'd had in his previous four seasons with the Jets.

I thought Mathis was a nice player for the Jets and I wasn't surprised that he was successful.  That Falcons team also had Tony Martin who had like five seasons of 1,000 yards.  He was a Jets draft pick that they were converting from small school QB to WR.  Rather than develop him that moron coach and moron OC carried 47 tight ends. Guy ended up having 1,000 yard seasons for the Dolphins, Falcons and Chargers. 

Finds like Mathis, Martin and Chrebet and the team still had to burn firsts on Rob Moore and Chrebet.   If they hadn't drafted Moore they would have had their first and could probably have traded down and still gotten Favre instead of trading up for Browning ******* Nagle.

To this day I wanted to slay 3/4 of the jetsinsider forums for the outright fellating of jason taylor when he was deciding whether to come here.  The guy had no offers, no big interest from any other team and the fan base was throwing out rose petals at the feet of one of the most assinine dolphins of all time.  Made my tummy queasy.

To this day I wanted to slay 3/4 of the jetsinsider forums for the outright fellating of jason taylor when he was deciding whether to come here.  The guy had no offers, no big interest from any other team and the fan base was throwing out rose petals at the feet of one of the most assinine dolphins of all time.  Made my tummy queasy.

Jason Taylor is still at the top of my "must punch in the face upon site" list.  Brady a very close second.  

I thought Mathis was a nice player for the Jets and I wasn't surprised that he was successful.  That Falcons team also had Tony Martin who had like five seasons of 1,000 yards.  He was a Jets draft pick that they were converting from small school QB to WR.  Rather than develop him that moron coach and moron OC carried 47 tight ends. Guy ended up having 1,000 yard seasons for the Dolphins, Falcons and Chargers. 

Finds like Mathis, Martin and Chrebet and the team still had to burn firsts on Rob Moore and Chrebet.   If they hadn't drafted Moore they would have had their first and could probably have traded down and still gotten Favre instead of trading up for Browning ******* Nagle.

No probably about it Ron Wolf said that was a fact they would have used the 1st on Favre..

Jason Taylor is still at the top of my "must punch in the face upon site" list.  Brady a very close second.  

he was awful for us too.

No probably about it Ron Wolf said that was a fact they would have used the 1st on Favre..

he can say that but who knows if it is true? someone recently said they had a 1st rd grade on Brady(I think it was Polian).  I get they had Manning but why wouldn't you take a 1st rd value in rd 3-4-5 if that was the case?  Not saying wolf was lying but we really don't know.

he was awful for us too.

he can say that but who knows if it is true? someone recently said they had a 1st rd grade on Brady(I think it was Polian).  I get they had Manning but why wouldn't you take a 1st rd value in rd 3-4-5 if that was the case?  Not saying wolf was lying but we really don't know.

Well as soon as he was the Packers GM he sent a 1st rd pick to the Falcons for Favre..

John Riggins but in the other direction. He was very good as a Jet and went on to become a Hall of Fame player with the Redskins. 

84e83f7da9b1b918d94ac6b9e2e61ad4.jpg

My favorite Jet of all time, even if he's considered a Redskin to many. No better memories as a Jet fan than watching him catch a flair and turning up field, and I'm yelling "RIGGINS". 

Favre and GB was a perfect marriage.

He needed a town that loves to create a hero to worship through thick or thin.

That's not NY. Favre would've been run out of NY after his 10th redzone INT.

Um...

Bubby Brister

Neil O'Donnell

Frank Reich

We didn't run these sh*tbags out of town, why would we have done that to Favre? 

Well as soon as he was the Packers GM he sent a 1st rd pick to the Falcons for Favre..

I guess, the point was sometimes these guys say certain things later to try to make themselves look better but if he wanted him that badly why didn't he move up a few spots and take him for us?  

I guess, the point was sometimes these guys say certain things later to try to make themselves look better but if he wanted him that badly why didn't he move up a few spots and take him for us?  

Two weeks after wrapping up a brief stint as a consultant for the New York Jets, Ron Wolf is on the verge of football immortality.

Wolf is nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in the contributors category and, if the 46-person selection committee doesn't fumble Saturday during its annual meeting at the Super Bowl, the former longtime general manager will be elected to Canton, Ohio.

Not many people remember this, but Wolf actually spent 17 months as the Jets' personnel director before taking over the Green Bay Packers in December 1991 -- a period that included one of the biggest "what if?" moments in Jets history.

The time they almost drafted Brett Favre.

Wolf fell in love with Favre while working for the Jets' late general manager, Dick Steinberg. He scouted him in the fall of 1990 at Southern Mississippi and was blown away by Favre at the East-West Shrine Game in Palo Alto, California.

"Dick and I were at the East-West game, and Brett was outstanding," Wolf said in a phone interview Thursday. "I remember, we both said, 'This is the best player in the draft.'"

In fact, they made Favre the No. 1 player on their draft board -- much higher than most teams rated him. Thing is, the Jets didn't have a first-round pick, having used it to select Rob Moore in the previous summer's supplemental draft. Much to their surprise, Favre slipped into the second round.

The Jets, picking seventh in Round 2, made a deal to jump up two spots, ahead of the Atlanta Falcons, who were known to covet Favre. The plan was to swap places with the Arizona Cardinals and select Favre with the 33rd overall choice.

"Dick thought he had a deal with Arizona," Wolf said. "Fortunately for me and unfortunately for the Jets, when he called Arizona to finish the deal, they backed out because a player they wanted was still there [defensive end Mike Jones]."

As expected, the Falcons took Favre and the Jets got stuck with quarterback Browning Nagle, an all-time bust known for his erratic arm and hard-partying ways. Then-coach Bruce Coslet lobbied hard for Nagle, who was supposed to play with Favre in the East-West game but didn't play due to a late night. Nevertheless, Steinberg trusted Coslet and, man, did they get burned.

The Jets' misfortune worked out brilliantly for Wolf, who, in his first big move as the Packers' GM, traded a first-round pick to the Falcons for Favre. With three moves, Wolf restored the Packers to glory. He hired Mike Holmgren (who spurned the Jets in 1990), traded for Favre and, a year later, signed Reggie White (who spurned the Jets in free agency).

Is this a joke? You can't be serious.

Favre lasted 16 years in GB.

Brister and Reich were Jets for one year, O'Donnell for two.

I can't be serious?  Favre is a HOF QB and those guys ******* sucked.  We didn't/couldn't run Chad Pennington out of town, but we are supposed to think Favre couldn't succeed here?  You're the one that sounds like he's joking to me.  In '92 when the Jets were trotting Nagle out there for a perfect preseason, Favre was making his first pro bowl.  He made the pro bowl in five of his first 6 years in Green Bay, but "we" were going to run him out of town?

Two weeks after wrapping up a brief stint as a consultant for the New York Jets, Ron Wolf is on the verge of football immortality.

Wolf is nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in the contributors category and, if the 46-person selection committee doesn't fumble Saturday during its annual meeting at the Super Bowl, the former longtime general manager will be elected to Canton, Ohio.

Not many people remember this, but Wolf actually spent 17 months as the Jets' personnel director before taking over the Green Bay Packers in December 1991 -- a period that included one of the biggest "what if?" moments in Jets history.

The time they almost drafted Brett Favre.

Wolf fell in love with Favre while working for the Jets' late general manager, Dick Steinberg. He scouted him in the fall of 1990 at Southern Mississippi and was blown away by Favre at the East-West Shrine Game in Palo Alto, California.

"Dick and I were at the East-West game, and Brett was outstanding," Wolf said in a phone interview Thursday. "I remember, we both said, 'This is the best player in the draft.'"

In fact, they made Favre the No. 1 player on their draft board -- much higher than most teams rated him. Thing is, the Jets didn't have a first-round pick, having used it to select Rob Moore in the previous summer's supplemental draft. Much to their surprise, Favre slipped into the second round.

The Jets, picking seventh in Round 2, made a deal to jump up two spots, ahead of the Atlanta Falcons, who were known to covet Favre. The plan was to swap places with the Arizona Cardinals and select Favre with the 33rd overall choice.

"Dick thought he had a deal with Arizona," Wolf said. "Fortunately for me and unfortunately for the Jets, when he called Arizona to finish the deal, they backed out because a player they wanted was still there [defensive end Mike Jones]."

As expected, the Falcons took Favre and the Jets got stuck with quarterback Browning Nagle, an all-time bust known for his erratic arm and hard-partying ways. Then-coach Bruce Coslet lobbied hard for Nagle, who was supposed to play with Favre in the East-West game but didn't play due to a late night. Nevertheless, Steinberg trusted Coslet and, man, did they get burned.

The Jets' misfortune worked out brilliantly for Wolf, who, in his first big move as the Packers' GM, traded a first-round pick to the Falcons for Favre. With three moves, Wolf restored the Packers to glory. He hired Mike Holmgren (who spurned the Jets in 1990), traded for Favre and, a year later, signed Reggie White (who spurned the Jets in free agency).

If they really believed he was the best they would have had a backup plan, they have to get high enough to take him.

I can't be serious?  Favre is a HOF QB and those guys ******* sucked.  We didn't/couldn't run Chad Pennington out of town, but we are supposed to think Favre couldn't succeed here?  You're the one that sounds like he's joking to me.  In '92 when the Jets were trotting Nagle out there for a perfect preseason, Favre was making his first pro bowl.  He made the pro bowl in five of his first 6 years in Green Bay, but "we" were going to run him out of town?

actually we did run Chad out of town, had we kept him in 2008 we win the division easily.

Favre may or may not have worked here if we drafted him but he went to the perfect team and perfect coach after the trade to GB.

Archived