All Time Great Jets Who Barely Played Here

TuscanyTile2

I thought Mathis was a nice player for the Jets and I wasn't surprised that he was successful.  That Falcons team also had Tony Martin who had like five seasons of 1,000 yards.  He was a Jets draft pick that they were converting from small school QB to WR.  Rather than develop him that moron coach and moron OC carried 47 tight ends. Guy ended up having 1,000 yard seasons for the Dolphins, Falcons and Chargers. 

Finds like Mathis, Martin and Chrebet and the team still had to burn firsts on Rob Moore and Chrebet.   If they hadn't drafted Moore they would have had their first and could probably have traded down and still gotten Favre instead of trading up for Browning ******* Nagle.

Ummm,

Chrebet was undrafted.  Rob Moore put up good #'s for us, and even led the league in receiving yards on the Cards.  Plus we traded him for a 1st rounder that could have gotten us Warren Sap or Derrick Brooks. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm,

Chrebet was undrafted.  Rob Moore put up good #'s for us, and even led the league in receiving yards on the Cards.  Plus we traded him for a 1st rounder that could have gotten us Warren Sap or Derrick Brooks. 

That was supposed to say Keyshawn.  Board has been acting up and wouldn't let me edit. If you look, you will note I mentioned Mathis, Martin and Chrebet as reasons not to take Moore and Keyshawn (but typed Chrebet - smooth!)  Good point on the trade. FWIW, they got the Hugh Douglas pick.  Sapp was gone by then.  The Jets used their own pick on Kyle Brady when Sapp was on the board.  My point was that they had good WRs in the fold and still used resources rather than developing what they had.  Moore's career was very similar statistically to Mathis and Martin.  Hell, Keyshawn only had one more career TD than Mathis.  Apparently, Walton, Kotite and Coslet didn't know how to use them. FWIW, they also drafted Reggie Rembert at the top of the 2nd in 1990 and he refused to sign and they traded him for Joe Kelly. 

That was supposed to say Keyshawn.  Board has been acting up and wouldn't let me edit. If you look, you will note I mentioned Mathis, Martin and Chrebet as reasons not to take Moore and Keyshawn (but typed Chrebet - smooth!)  Good point on the trade. FWIW, they got the Hugh Douglas pick.  Sapp was gone by then.  The Jets used their own pick on Kyle Brady when Sapp was on the board.  My point was that they had good WRs in the fold and still used resources rather than developing what they had.  Moore's career was very similar statistically to Mathis and Martin.  Hell, Keyshawn only had one more career TD than Mathis.  Apparently, Walton, Kotite and Coslet didn't know how to use them. FWIW, they also drafted Reggie Rembert at the top of the 2nd in 1990 and he refused to sign and they traded him for Joe Kelly. 

ohhh, the 90 draft.

Blair Thomas, Reggie Rembert, Tony Stargell (a corner nicknamed Toast).  Wow, what a soul crusher that was. 

For the record, I was in HS, but I so wanted Cortez Kennedy.  

ohhh, the 90 draft.

Blair Thomas, Reggie Rembert, Tony Stargell (a corner nicknamed Toast).  Wow, what a soul crusher that was. 

I wanted Keith McCants because Joe Willie made me an Alabama fan, but my Dad was all in for Junior Seau.  I remember him sitting there saying "He has to be the pick.  100%.  He fits perfectly.  How can they pick anybody else?"  He still talks about a Coslet interview where he tried to explain that Thomas was hit the hole that split second faster than McNeil or Hector and revolutionize the offense.  I remember him watching it and asking the television "Is this guy a moron?"  He got his answer.

Don't forget Troy Taylor!  Confession:  I thought Rembert would be a good pro and I liked the Dale Dawkins pick.  I had hopes for Basil Proctor who was a super fast LB out of West Virginia.  Apparently, he is a total criminal and played in Arena and minor leagues until he was well past ancient.  Rembert is 4 days older than me and I was about to get out law school when that mook was drafted.

ohhh, the 90 draft.

I remember how excited I was for the new era w/ Coslet and Steinberg

I wanted Keith McCants because Joe Willie made me an Alabama fan, but my Dad was all in for Junior Seau.  I remember him sitting there saying "He has to be the pick.  100%.  He fits perfectly.  How can they pick anybody else?"  He still talks about a Coslet interview where he tried to explain that Thomas was hit the hole that split second faster than McNeil or Hector and revolutionize the offense.  I remember him watching it and asking the television "Is this guy a moron?"  He got his answer.

Don't forget Troy Taylor!  Confession:  I thought Rembert would be a good pro and I liked the Dale Dawkins pick.  I had hopes for Basil Proctor who was a super fast LB out of West Virginia.  Apparently, he is a total criminal and played in Arena and minor leagues until he was well past ancient.  Rembert is 4 days older than me and I was about to get out law school when that mook was drafted.

To be fair, jimmy Johnson said he would have taken Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith if he had the choice. 

Bubby Brister and Frank Reich also. Jets were the best at signing over the hill guys who had nothing left. They also signed a RB from the Cardinals who had the longest non scoring run in NFL history as he went 96 yards but was brought down at the one yard line and the Jets did not score. I can't recall his name, but he looked like a conehead so I labeled him Mass Quantity Yardage. Johnny Johnson I think his name was.

Archived