Which Jet (player, coach, GM, owner) Did You Like But Everyone Hated?

TuscanyTile2

consistently dropping 30,40,50?

they had 2 big offensive games- Arizona who got crushed every time they came east and 2-14 SL

20 at Mia

10 vs. NE

29 at SD but it was all in garbage time as we trailed 38-14 in the 4th

26 vs. terrible cincy team

13 in 5 qts at awful oak team

19 at buffalo

17 vs. den

14 at sf

24 vs. Buf

3 at Sea

17 vs. Mia

he was mostly bad that season, had a few games to skew #s.  he basically had the Ari game then about 3 games in November where he played really well, other than that he was terrible.

No excuses, he's the ironman.  late in his career he struggled in cold weather and as soon as it turned cold here he tanked.

Good for you. When someone asks you to name someone you like that others don't, be sure not to mention Favre, and thank you for proving my point.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you. When someone asks you to name someone you like that others don't, be sure not to mention Favre, and thank you for proving my point.

I was just responding, I have nothing but negative thoughts on that season based on the way it ended.  sure it was fun at times but so was 1993, 2000 and this season.  ultimately they all ended in disappointment.

I was just responding, I have nothing but negative thoughts on that season based on the way it ended.  sure it was fun at times but so was 1993, 2000 and this season.  ultimately they all ended in disappointment.

Once again, good for you. When someone asks you to name someone you like that others don't, be sure not to mention Favre, and thank you for proving my point.

Every season other than '68/'69 has ended in disappointment. Based on the above, that helps explain why your posts portray a poster who has nothing but negative thoughts on everything Jets. 

Getting back to the thread topic, I liked Favre, but he was mostly disliked by our fanbase. Curious too, considering he single handedly with a torn bicep got rid of Pennington and Mangini for us and paved the way for your beloved Sanchy. 

Once again, good for you. When someone asks you to name someone you like that others don't, be sure not to mention Favre, and thank you for proving my point.

Every season other than '68/'69 has ended in disappointment. Based on the above, that helps explain why your posts portray a poster who has nothing but negative thoughts on everything Jets. 

Getting back to the thread topic, I liked Favre, but he was mostly disliked by our fanbase. Curious too, considering he single handedly with a torn bicep got rid of Pennington and Mangini for us and paved the way for your beloved Sanchy. 

it's a discussion board, sorry to discuss this w/ you.

yes every season other than 1968 has ended in disappointment but not many, if any, more disappointing than 2008.

I thought the fanbase loved Favre actually.

and yes in the long run it helped us b/c him sabotaging our season led to Rex and sanchez and 2 legit SB shots.

it's a discussion board, sorry to discuss this w/ you.

yes every season other than 1968 has ended in disappointment but not many, if any, more disappointing than 2008.

I thought the fanbase loved Favre actually.

and yes in the long run it helped us b/c him sabotaging our season led to Rex and sanchez and 2 legit SB shots.

But ultimately, those 2 legit SB shots also ended in disappointment and were followed up with 4 years of non-winning football, so I guess you hate Rex, Sanchey, and everything else about the Jets other than '68, yes?

But ultimately, those 2 legit SB shots also ended in disappointment and were followed up with 4 years of non-winning football, so I guess you hate Rex, Sanchey, and everything else about the Jets other than '68, yes?

they did but I'd rather be disappointed w/ a chance at a SB than be disappointed we couldn't even make the playoffs.  they gave us an extra 3 weeks of incredible excitement, I'll take that any day over failing to make the playoffs w/ a choke.

I can't read his posts because I have him on ignore, but lemme guess, nyjunc rattled off Mark Sanchez, Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum and Brian Schottenheimer?  Because those guys were all awesome and totally went on to success elsewhere and stuff.

This is his favorite thread ever.  Maybe Pac's also.

I can't read his posts because I have him on ignore, but lemme guess, nyjunc rattled off Mark Sanchez, Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum and Brian Schottenheimer?  Because those guys were all awesome and totally went on to success elsewhere and stuff.

This is his favorite thread ever.  Maybe Pac's also.

I love gutless posters who are afraid to debate me but keep talking about me.

they did but I'd rather be disappointed w/ a chance at a SB than be disappointed we couldn't even make the playoffs.  they gave us an extra 3 weeks of incredible excitement, I'll take that any day over failing to make the playoffs w/ a choke.

So net outcome is the same, but you just love Sanchez over Favre? Got it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but an injury to a QB's throwing arm is not considered a choke job. 

I love gutless posters who are afraid to debate me but keep talking about me.

The issue is that this isn't up for debate or discussion. I like Favre, most else hate him. End of discussion. That's the point of this thread. 

So net outcome is the same, but you just love Sanchez over Favre? Got it.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but an injury to a QB's throwing arm is not considered a choke job. 

The issue is that this isn't up for debate or discussion. I like Favre, most else hate him. End of discussion. That's the point of this thread. 

I wasn't talking to you w/ that 2nd response.

the outcome was not the same, w/ sanchezx we were on the doorstep of the SB, w/ Favre we couldn't make the playoffs.

sorry to burst your bubble but the injury wasn't we he sucked, he played the same most of the season and the injury supposedly happened in October and he had his only good stretch of football in November. 

I wasn't talking to you w/ that 2nd response.

the outcome was not the same, w/ sanchezx we were on the doorstep of the SB, w/ Favre we couldn't make the playoffs.

The outcome was 100% exactly the same. It's been the same for every year of the Jets existence except the '68 team. The only difference between '09/'10 and every other year is that your Sanchez was along for the ride.

You can't have it both ways. You can't tell me that I can't celebrate Favre's year because it didn't end in a super bowl - and then go on to say that the '09/'10 runs were something to celebrate because they were different. They weren't. All three of them ended us in some unimportant position between 2-32. 

FTR, I celebrated and appreciated all three years. You seem to only be able to celebrate accomplishments by Sanchez and Brady, and any appreciation for anyone else is viewed by you as a slight to those two.

sorry to burst your bubble but the injury wasn't we he sucked, he played the same most of the season and the injury supposedly happened in October and he had his only good stretch of football in November. 

Ok, so according to you, the 1-4 stretch was not due to injury since he had been playing hurt since October (they were 7-1 in October and November btw). 
Also according to you, he had been playing the same during the 1-4 stretch as he did during the 8-3 stretch. 

So then how is that collapse Favre's fault? 

If, according to you, he's the constant variable on the same team that went 8-3 and 1-4, then it's the team around him that let him down during the final 5 games. 

The outcome was 100% exactly the same. It's been the same for every year of the Jets existence except the '68 team. The only difference between '09/'10 and every other year is that your Sanchez was along for the ride.

You can't have it both ways. You can't tell me that I can't celebrate Favre's year because it didn't end in a super bowl - and then go on to say that the '09/'10 runs were something to celebrate because they were different. They weren't. All three of them ended us in some unimportant position between 2-32. 

FTR, I celebrated and appreciated all three years. You seem to only be able to celebrate accomplishments by Sanchez and Brady, and any appreciation for anyone else is viewed by you as a slight to those two.

yes, getting to and winning in the playoffs makes a season successful, watching player put up meaningless fantasy #s and choking when it matters most to get to the playoffs is not a successful season but we all have different criteria.

If Fitz would have led us to a title game this year I'd celebrate him too, heck if he would have won a playoff game or even got there but who have I not celebrated that I should have?

Ok, so according to you, the 1-4 stretch was not due to injury since he had been playing hurt since October (they were 7-1 in October and November btw). 
Also according to you, he had been playing the same during the 1-4 stretch as he did during the 8-3 stretch. 

If, according to you, he's the constant variable on the same team that went 8-3 and 1-4, then it's the team around him that let him down during the final 5 games. 

Favre is, was and always will be a turnover machine.  He settled down for a bit, but during the "good" stretch, he had 2 picks and a fumble against the Bengals, 2 picks and 3 fumbles against the Raiders in the OT loss (**** you Chris Baker) and three picks against the Chiefs.  Those teams sucked badly enough that they overcame it twice and forced OT the third time, but let's not act like he folded down the stretch.  He threw for some of his higher (4th and 5th most) yardage totals in the losses to Denver and Miami down the stretch.  Difference was Mangini's D couldn't stop Cutler and Hillis (and Brad Smith's fumble returned for a TD (only Rex ran the WIldcat!) and the team couldn't overcome Favre's 3 picks against Miami.

7-1 was a meaningful as thr 5 game win streak this year, when it matter most he folded. 

how is the collapse favre's fault? he was putrid, we won one game and we needed the D to score a late TD to win that one game.

we weren't 8-3 b/c of him by the way.

Whether Favre choked with the Jets is not that big a deal.  He would have if they made the playoffs.  He choked plenty of times for other teams.  His OT pick is the only reason the Giants made it to beat the *Perfect Pats.  4 INTs against the Vikings?  The guy wasn't exactly playoff gold.

He's a sure fire 1st ballot HoFer who will go down as one of the greatest of all time. He was fine in '95 when he had a 3:0 TD:INT ratio in the super bowl, and a +24 turnover ratio for the playoffs as a whole. He was great the next year as well with a 3:2 TD:INT ratio (both TOs sucked but they were in the first half, but he was phenomenal in the second half which is where people talk about choking). He also was abused beyond the scope of the game in the Vikings game and even the refs said after reviewing the game that they missed three roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness penalties on the Saints defense on the final two drives. Still, he had them in contention even against an illegal defense till the final minutes while getting destroyed. The guy wasn't exactly a choker either. 

Tell me, is the following person a "choker" as well? He threw the game sealing INT against the Colts in the '06 AFCCG. He threw a huge INT in the 4Q and took a sack on the second to last play of the game against the Giants in the super bowl. He was 54% for 157 yards and 3INTs in the '09 playoffs. He lost to Sanchez...SANCHEZ(!!!!), in 2010.

Funny how a long playing career is almost always discussed with a negative connotation unless you're Brady* or Montana. 

He's a sure fire 1st ballot HoFer who will go down as one of the greatest of all time. He was fine in '95 when he had a 3:0 TD:INT ratio in the super bowl, and a +24 turnover ratio for the playoffs as a whole. He was great the next year as well with a 3:2 TD:INT ratio (both TOs sucked but they were in the first half, but he was phenomenal in the second half which is where people talk about choking). He also was abused beyond the scope of the game in the Vikings game and even the refs said after reviewing the game that they missed three roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness penalties on the Saints defense on the final two drives. Still, he had them in contention even against an illegal defense till the final minutes while getting destroyed. The guy wasn't exactly a choker either. 

Tell me, is the following person a "choker" as well? He threw the game sealing INT against the Colts in the '06 AFCCG. He threw a huge INT in the 4Q and took a sack on the second to last play of the game against the Giants in the super bowl. He was 54% for 157 yards and 3INTs in the '09 playoffs. He lost to Sanchez...SANCHEZ(!!!!), in 2010.

Funny how a long playing career is almost always discussed with a negative connotation unless you're Brady* or Montana. 

I don't actually think Favre is a choker, but he is a turnover machine.  In and of itself that will cause some losses. He did on the big stage what he did in regular games.  Throw a bunch of TDs and throw a bunch of picks. 

we weren't 8-3 b/c of him by the way.

Favre is, was and always will be a turnover machine.  He settled down for a bit, but during the "good" stretch, he had 2 picks and a fumble against the Bengals, 2 picks and 3 fumbles against the Raiders in the OT loss (**** you Chris Baker) and three picks against the Chiefs.  Those teams sucked badly enough that they overcame it twice and forced OT the third time, but let's not act like he folded down the stretch.  He threw for some of his higher (4th and 5th most) yardage totals in the losses to Denver and Miami down the stretch.  Difference was Mangini's D couldn't stop Cutler and Hillis (and Brad Smith's fumble returned for a TD (only Rex ran the WIldcat!) and the team couldn't overcome Favre's 3 picks against Miami.

So you're both saying that Mangini's Defense was the reason we were 8-3, but not the reason we ended 1-4? Favre gets no credit for 8-3, and shoulders complete blame for 1-4. 

That's convenient. 

Once again, thank you both for proving my point - I liked Favre, most here hated him. 

I don't actually think Favre is a choker, but he is a turnover machine.  In and of itself that will cause some losses. He did on the big stage what he did in regular games.  Throw a bunch of TDs and throw a bunch of picks. 

Agreed with everything here. It seemed like you were agreeing/piling on with nyjunc about the whole "choker" thing. Can't wait to see what he has to say about his boy Brady and the whole "choker" thing. 

So you're both saying that Mangini's Defense was the reason we were 8-3, but not the reason we ended 1-4? Favre gets no credit for 8-3, and shoulders complete blame for 1-4. 

That's convenient. 

Once again, thank you both for proving my point - I liked Favre, most here hated him. 

where did I say that? favre gets credit but you guys act like he was THE reason.  like he was carrying us and that just wasn't true.  he played awful in many of the wins.

That's convenient. 

Agreed with everything here. It seemed like you were agreeing/piling on with nyjunc about the whole "choker" thing. Can't wait to see what he has to say about his boy Brady and the whole "choker" thing. 

I'm not nyjunc.  Please don't start that rumor.  I liked Favre okay.  I actually liked him more as the "one that got away" than I did as a Jet.  I felt he was a carpetbagger and just using us.  As a player I don't have any huge complaints, but I 100% feel that team was overrated around here.  They had a nice little run, but they only had two or three good wins. 

I'm not nyjunc.  Please don't start that rumor.  I liked Favre okay.  I actually liked him more as the "one that got away" than I did as a Jet.  I felt he was a carpetbagger and just using us.  As a player I don't have any huge complaints, but I 100% feel that team was overrated around here.  They had a nice little run, but they only had two or three good wins. 

if someone confused you w/ me that would be a compliment to you:D

where did I say that? favre gets credit but you guys act like he was THE reason.  like he was carrying us and that just wasn't true.  he played awful in many of the wins.

The question was and still is, "who do you like that others hate?".

I posted that I liked Favre on the team when everyone hated him. I posted that until that point in my fandom, the only other fun season I'd seen out of the Jets was the '05 loss to the steelers in the div round. During the '98 AFCCG run, I was still hardcore into baseball and football was just a passing interest unless it involved the Packers - due to my dad's fandom. 

I didn't once post about Favre's Jets tenure being "successful" or "carrying us" until you started tearing down everything he's ever done in his entire career. My initial post was all about how much fun having him on the team was, and that ultimately he helped us out by getting us out of our terrible relationship with Chad and getting us Rex. 

Also, you literally posted "we weren't 8-3 b/c of him by the way". Go ahead and take a gander above. That's your post. That's where you said that Favre gets no credit for 8-3. 

I posted that I liked Favre on the team when everyone hated him. I posted that until that point in my fandom, the only other fun season I'd seen out of the Jets was the '05 loss to the steelers in the div round. During the '98 AFCCG run, I was still hardcore into baseball and football was just a passing interest unless it involved the Packers - due to my dad's fandom. 

I didn't once post about Favre's Jets tenure being "successful" or "carrying us" until you started tearing down everything he's ever done in his entire career. My initial post was all about how much fun having him on the team was, and that ultimately he helped us out by getting us out of our terrible relationship with Chad and getting us Rex. 

Also, you literally posted "we weren't 8-3 b/c of him by the way". Go ahead and take a gander above. That's your post. That's where you said that Favre gets no credit for 8-3. 

Wow.  You're ******* young.  I was already worried about having suffered traumatic brain injuries during the '82 Freeman McNeil run.  Go watch the youtubes in nyjunc's classic thread.  The Bengals and Raiders playoff games were awesome.  Do not, under any circumstances watch the Mud Bowl Dolphin game.  It was the defining moment in making me the miserable cynical **** that I am today.  **** you Don Shula! 

meaning solely b/c of him.  obviously he contributed but I felt he was holding us back until November.  w/ Chad we easily win the division that year.

Archived