Junc - Azog Duke UNC Discussion

AzogtheDefiler

1990 = modern era right? Cable TV, 64 team field, 3 pt shot, etc. 1996 just doesn't make any freaking sense to me such an arbitrary date. So if we start counting from the modern era of the 3 pts shot. Duke is better than UCONN. Has sent more players to the NBA and has more Natl titles (your definition of better). UCONN is also a bigger school so it collects from a bigger pool. Duke is a small private college and must use guile to recruit or at least it did until K made it THE place to go. 

UNC would have had more titles but unfortunately since 1984 it has had to deal with Duke and hence both schools have beat each other up a tad. :)

ha, duke hasn't kept Carolina from winning.  I think both teams beating each other make each other better.

Duke became relevant after the arrival of K and he had to deal with some serious heavy hitters in the ACC with Smith, Valvano, Cremins among others. He took a team to the Natl championship in 1986 and lost to Ellison and Louisville but since then the school has been relevant and consistently in the Natl Championship pic. You and I both know how hard it is to win in the 1 and done tourney. Upsets happen. So since the K era, Duke has been the best team in CB. Period. UCONN cannot compare. I am sorry man. Even your Natl title argument falls one short and you have to agree that there is a better chance of Duke getting #6 than UCONN getting #5. 

duke was in the Nat'l Title game in 1978, K took over in '80 or '81?  they weren't a consistent power but they still had many great years.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

duke was in the Nat'l Title game in 1978, K took over in '80 or '81?  they weren't a consistent power but they still had many great years.

Right. Duke and UNC have been powerhouses forever....since way back before I was born. What UConn has done since becoming relevant in 1990 is simply incredible. Duke had the two nice wins in the early 90's when UConn was still a baby, but since then, it's been UConn hoisting the trophy more than anyone. 

Right. Duke and UNC have been powerhouses forever....since way back before I was born. What UConn has done since becoming relevant in 1990 is simply incredible. Duke had the two nice wins in the early 90's when UConn was still a baby, but since then, it's been UConn hoisting the trophy more than anyone. 

what Calhoun did was amazing, it's kind of like UM in CFB in the 80s and beyond.  can they sustain in a post Calhoun era?  they have a title but they haven't been a top program consistently since Jim left.

what Calhoun did was amazing, it's kind of like UM in CFB in the 80s and beyond.  can they sustain in a post Calhoun era?  they have a title but they haven't been a top program consistently since Jim left.

Agreed. I'm also not sold on Kevin - regardless of the fact that he was able to get us one after Calhoun left. He's got a lot of the herm/rex Rah-Rah in him, but like those two, I think he coaches with his emotions far too much. The discipline details just aren't there. Little things like guys not running through backdoor screens or stepping in for a charge....those things matter. Under Calhoun, we didn't see much of that at all.

edit: He could really learn a thing or two from Geno and the girls. With the exception of the obvious differential in athletic ability, those girls play the game year in and year out the way basketball should be played. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did any of you f*ckers actually GO to the schools you're bragging about?  Unbelievable how stupid these debates are when you invest nothing in these programs except the cost of tickets and some clothing.  Schools are more than just basketball programs, in case anyone forgot about that part.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did any of you f*ckers actually GO to the schools you're bragging about?  Unbelievable how stupid these debates are when you invest nothing in these programs except the cost of tickets and some clothing.  Schools are more than just basketball programs, in case anyone forgot about that part.

shut up little boy, this doesn't concern you.  go root for your division III team and leave us alone.

I love when people run and hide when their teams lose and crow when they win.  Congrats to duke, they hung around in a game they had no business being in and found a way but again please spare me the 6 players garbage.  It's amazing how K manipulates the media and their fans parrot every excuse he hands out.  Coming into the game they had one injury to a role player, he has McD's AAs on the bench, he NEVER has a bench b/c he always buries players on the bench which is why he has an extraordinarily high transfer rate.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I love when people run and hide when their teams lose and crow when they win.  Congrats to duke, they hung around in a game they had no business being in and found a way but again please spare me the 6 players garbage.  It's amazing how K manipulates the media and their fans parrot every excuse he hands out.  Coming into the game they had one injury to a role player, he has McD's AAs on the bench, he NEVER has a bench b/c he always buries players on the bench which is why he has an extraordinarily high transfer rate.

Don't be bitter because UNC is the better team this year and will advance further in the NCAAs but AJ is not a "role player" he was the starting PF and averaged 10 boards and 4 blocks per game. With a thin rotation he has been deeply missed and I watch every game. I cannot gauge if Johnson is an NBA prospect or just a good college player. He has good size but he scores around the rim and I am not sure his game translates to the NBA as he is not an elite PF athlete and cannot shoot well enough to play SF. Junc, what sayeth you?

17 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Don't be bitter because UNC is the better team this year and will advance further in the NCAAs but AJ is not a "role player" he was the starting PF and averaged 10 boards and 4 blocks per game. With a thin rotation he has been deeply missed and I watch every game. I cannot gauge if Johnson is an NBA prospect or just a good college player. He has good size but he scores around the rim and I am not sure his game translates to the NBA as he is not an elite PF athlete and cannot shoot well enough to play SF. Junc, what sayeth you?

he is a role player, nothing more.  this is just like Ryan Kelly a few years ago.  he gets hurt and he's treated like Jordan.  Congrats on the win, they made enough plays to pull off the upset but we need to stop w/ the 6 players BS.

I am not sure about brice either but there will be a role for him in the NBA.  I thought he did an excellent job guarding Ingram last night.  That is a good sign considering the quickness advantage Ingram has and the ability to score from all over the court.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

he is a role player, nothing more.  this is just like Ryan Kelly a few years ago.  he gets hurt and he's treated like Jordan.  Congrats on the win, they made enough plays to pull off the upset but we need to stop w/ the 6 players BS.

I am not sure about brice either but there will be a role for him in the NBA.  I thought he did an excellent job guarding Ingram last night.  That is a good sign considering the quickness advantage Ingram has and the ability to score from all over the court.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll agree to disagree on the importance of AJ and the rotation :). 

I think Ingram will be an outstanding pro. He only weighs 190 and is 6'10. As he grows into his body he will be a very tough cover. Paul George / Danilo Gallinari are his comps IMO. 

Just now, AzogtheDefiler said:

Thanks for the feedback, we'll agree to disagree on the importance of AJ and the rotation :). 

I think Ingram will be an outstanding pro. He only weighs 190 and is 6'10. As he grows into his body he will be a very tough cover. Paul George / Danilo Gallinari are his comps IMO. 

it makes it that much more frustrating knowing he should be a Heel.  he would have been the one to put them over the top.  the ridiculous "scandal" has been killing the Heels for years.

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it makes it that much more frustrating knowing he should be a Heel.  he would have been the one to put them over the top.  the ridiculous "scandal" has been killing the Heels for years.

You may still win the title this year without him but your lack of consistent shooters may be your undoing in the end. 

3 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

You may still win the title this year without him but your lack of consistent shooters may be your undoing in the end. 

it's so frustrating seeing all these other teams hit 3 after 3 after 3 and the Heels cannot hit any.  the biggest problem has been Paige, I expect he will be back to normal by the end of the year and if so the Heels are still one of the favorites but if not they can't win.  all they need was one more 3(to make the total just two) and they win last night.  

On 2/18/2016 at 9:54 AM, nyjunc said:

it's so frustrating seeing all these other teams hit 3 after 3 after 3 and the Heels cannot hit any.  the biggest problem has been Paige, I expect he will be back to normal by the end of the year and if so the Heels are still one of the favorites but if not they can't win.  all they need was one more 3(to make the total just two) and they win last night.  

Frustrating for you. I enjoy it. :)

all is right in the sports world again w/ the Heels looking like the team we were expecting all season in thrashing a very good Miami team and duke falling at UL w/ K getting a T(should get at least 1 a game) and the dirtiest player in CBB getting a T and fouling out.  

On 2/17/2016 at 8:49 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, I did in fact go to the school with the most successful mens and womens college basketball programs over the past two decades. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2016 at 8:49 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes sir! Why do you ask?

I have a bad feeling for the Devils in the NCAAs. Jefferson is not coming back and that leaves them with a 6.5 man rotation. How far can Ingram and Allen really carry the team. UNC is poised for a big run. Please shoot me. At least UCONN is mediocre this year! 

:)

16 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

I have a bad feeling for the Devils in the NCAAs. Jefferson is not coming back and that leaves them with a 6.5 man rotation. How far can Ingram and Allen really carry the team. UNC is poised for a big run. Please shoot me. At least UCONN is mediocre this year! 

:)

I hope you are right :)

35 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Is it me or did the powerful UCONN Huskies just get smoked by SMU? 

Duke vs. UNC all the way the rest is fodder.

While I appreciate your UConn envy so much that you come here to gloat about them during an obvious fail year, I'd hold off till either NC team catches up to UConn's hardware over the last twenty years.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

While I appreciate your UConn envy so much that you come here to gloat about them during an obvious fail year, I'd hold off till either NC team catches up to UConn's hardware over the last twenty years.

You mistake envy for disdain

1 hour ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Duke  = 5 :)

Next year could be SIX!

Giles is damaged goods.  

can the jealous UConn fans(who may not even make the tourney) please stay out of the thread?  when we want to talk women's college basketball we'll let you know.

another game a little too close for comfort but this time the Heels knocked down their FTs late and pulled it out.  They just dominated on the glass but duke made a million 3's to keep it interesting.  It's nice to have another ACC regular season title and the ACC Tourney should be a fun one.  we could see a Carolina-duke semifinal on Friday night.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

another game a little too close for comfort but this time the Heels knocked down their FTs late and pulled it out.  They just dominated on the glass but duke made a million 3's to keep it interesting.  It's nice to have another ACC regular season title and the ACC Tourney should be a fun one.  we could see a Carolina-duke semifinal on Friday night.

Yeah freaking Brice Johnson is quickly ascending to "I hate you as much as Hansbrough list". UGH!!! UNC is just better this yr. I begrudgingly admit it. We'll see what happens next yr.

Archived