Junc - Azog Duke UNC Discussion

AzogtheDefiler

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I think they have a legit shot too.  Have to hope duke isn't lighting it up from 3 and see if you can get Allen/Ingram into foul trouble.

UNCW plays man-to-man almost exclusively, so we've been pretty good at handling the 3 ball (33.7 % 3-pt defense, ranked 131st).  Granted, Duke is going to be the best 3-pt shooting team we've faced this year, and by a pretty significant margin. 

Foul trouble will definitely be a significant factor, for both sides.  We play aggressive defense that leads to a lot of fouls.  On the positive side, if both teams get into foul trouble, that favors us.  We have a lot of bodies we can throw out there without a huge dropoff in talent.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

UNCW plays man-to-man almost exclusively, so we've been pretty good at handling the 3 ball (33.7 % 3-pt defense, ranked 131st).  Granted, Duke is going to be the best 3-pt shooting team we've faced this year, and by a pretty significant margin. 

Foul trouble will definitely be a significant factor, for both sides.  We play aggressive defense that leads to a lot of fouls.  On the positive side, if both teams get into foul trouble, that favors us.  We have a lot of bodies we can throw out there without a huge dropoff in talent.

what they do well is put the ball on the floor and get to the line(specifically Allen and Ingram).  I have only seen a limited amount of UNCW but do they have the type of athletes that can handle the penetration?  

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what they do well is put the ball on the floor and get to the line(specifically Allen and Ingram).  I have only seen a limited amount of UNCW but do they have the type of athletes that can handle the penetration?  

Yes, 2 in particular.  Jordon Talley, who is our most intense one-on-one defender and lightning quick, and Chris Flemmings, who is very long and athletic.  Plus we have shot-blockers underneath.  As a team we were tied for 59th in the country in shot-blocking (4.4 per game).

Our biggest strength comes from playing 94 feet of defense and getting opponents out of their rhythm.  We're the kind of team that will be down by 6-10 points at the half against teams with more talent, then make a comeback late.  Duke has been losing halftime leads of late due to their limited bench.

Perhaps, but the main thing is we take advantage of that particular deficiency.  We play a "token press" for the first 30-32 minutes in a game, then in the final 8, ratchet it up to another level.

In our loss @ Georgetown, we were down by 25 with 8:14 left in the game.  Ended up cutting the deficit all the way to 3 with 10 seconds left.  We still lost, but played a lot better in the 2nd half of the season than we did on that day.  If we're within 12 points with under 10 minutes left, we have a shot in any game we're playing in.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps, but the main thing is we take advantage of that particular deficiency.  We play a "token press" for the first 30-32 minutes in a game, then in the final 8, ratchet it up to another level.

In our loss @ Georgetown, we were down by 25 with 8:14 left in the game.  Ended up cutting the deficit all the way to 3 with 10 seconds left.  We still lost, but played a lot better in the 2nd half of the season than we did on that day.  If we're within 12 points with under 10 minutes left, we have a shot in any game we're playing in.

is that what happened against Hofstra? I was flipping around and Hofstra had a nice lead then all of a sudden you guys took control.

21 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

is that what happened against Hofstra? I was flipping around and Hofstra had a nice lead then all of a sudden you guys took control.

Yep.  Did that to them twice this year.  We were down 18 on the road and beat them, then were down by 16 in the championship and won in Overtime.

Hofstra has even less depth than Duke, so I felt confident even when we fell behind.  They played their 5 starters something like 36 minutes per game apiece nearly all season long.  I was amazed they made it as far as they did. 

2 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Are we seriously discussing Duke getting tossed in round 1? Are you trying to send me into a deep depression?

they lost in round 1 as a 2 in 2012, a 3 in 2014 so naturally as a 4 they will lose this year:D

2 hours ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Are we seriously discussing Duke getting tossed in round 1? Are you trying to send me into a deep depression?

Just consider it a little vengeance for all the non-conference NC teams Duke has refused to play over the years. :)

Almost had it despite everything.  Damn.

Coach Keatts has been saying for a while now that it was Year 3 (next season) when he expected this team to be something special.  I'm inclined to believe him given the talent we're keeping/developing and the talent we add.  Proud to be a Seahawk and UNCW alum today. 

22 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Good Luck in the Final Four, Junc. UNC has a legit shot and probably are the favorites. Incredible!!

ACC is gonna make, what, $40M off their collective tournament success?  $50M?  More?

As much as I dislike basically all ACC teams, always makes me laugh how people try to argue that the PAC-12 or Big 10 are going to kill it in a given tournament, then fall flat on their faces.  Like it or not, the ACC is king.

3 hours ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Sorry Junc, tough break. Although truthfully I was rooting heavily against UNC. Still very tough break. 

Good Luck next year.

didnt you get memo, per Junc refs gave the game to Nova, Car was lucky to get to the final 4 beating just 1 good team to get there.

5 minutes ago, afosomf said:

didnt you get memo, per Junc refs gave the game to Nova, Car was lucky to get to the final 4 beating just 1 good team to get there.

LOL, what? I thought it was a great game and fairly officiated. If anything that Paige shot was complete and utter luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2016 at 3:45 PM, AzogtheDefiler said:

LOL, what? I thought it was a great game and fairly officiated. If anything that Paige shot was complete and utter luck. 

Carolina was duked.  it was like playing in Cameron.  They allowed 'Nova to play as physical as they wanted and didn't allow Carolina to play physical.  The officiating determined that game, there is no doubt about it.  

Yes the Paige shot was lucky but it was luck they wouldn't have needed if not for the horrendously one sided officiating.

you thought it was fair b/c you wanted Carolina to lose.

Just now, alleycat9 said:

its always the refs fault

Not always, give credit to Jenkins for making the big shot but if the game was officiated properly it's not close.  Basketball is a tough game to officiate, it's the best athletes in the world at super speeds.  In most games there are bad calls both ways, they will try to call a game the same for both but the officiating dictated the outcome of this game and it is a shame.  the team that deserved to win did not.  all you had to do was watch the game, it wasn't one call here or there it was all game.  Carolina goes to the basket gets hammered play on, Carolina barely touches 'Nova(if at all) and whistles all over the place.  no one will remember b/c of the great ending w/ those 2 great shots but I will and all Carolina fans will and honest 'Nova fans will admit they got away with one.  

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Not always, give credit to Jenkins for making the big shot but if the game was officiated properly it's not close.  Basketball is a tough game to officiate, it's the best athletes in the world at super speeds.  In most games there are bad calls both ways, they will try to call a game the same for both but the officiating dictated the outcome of this game and it is a shame.  the team that deserved to win did not.  all you had to do was watch the game, it wasn't one call here or there it was all game.  Carolina goes to the basket gets hammered play on, Carolina barely touches 'Nova(if at all) and whistles all over the place.  no one will remember b/c of the great ending w/ those 2 great shots but I will and all Carolina fans will and honest 'Nova fans will admit they got away with one.  

Your delusion is equally pathetic and hilarious.

Just now, nj meadowlands said:

Your delusion is equally pathetic and hilarious.

you can hurl insults all you want, that game was dictated by poor officiating.  You should watch more basketball than just the final few games of a season.

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

You are more widely reviled on this board than JetBoSoxFan.  Congrats, dumbass.

I don't know who that is and either way it doesn't bother me that a trio of idiots dislike me.  If posters I respect say those things it would bother me a little bit, I don't live my life worrying about what anonymous buffoons think of me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived