PSL Holders Sue Rams

Jets_Win

I didn't see a thread for this and just heard about it today. Intention is not for this to devolve into another Jets/MetLife PSL debate but good for the fans in St. Louis for taking some action against Stan Kroenke. Opinions differ about the Rams' relocation - the team sucked anyway, the franchise moved from L.A./O.C. to St. Louis - but I think as fans we can support this suit by fellow fans against an NFL owner. 

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/illinois/personal-seat-license-holders-sue-rams/article_0d6e239f-639a-5d95-b20e-14e514e074e9.html

Some holders of Rams personal seat licenses are suing the team’s owners alleging that the licenses should remain valid even though the team is leaving for Los Angeles.

They argue in the lawsuit filed in St. Louis County Circuit Court that they purchased their PSLs under an agreement that the licenses would stay valid until March 2025, no matter where the Rams play.

“It’s our position that our clients are entitled to either purchase tickets for the games being played in L.A., or whatever stadium they’re being played at, or to transfer their PSLs, which is a right to purchase tickets up through 2025,” said David Bohm, the lawyer who prepared the lawsuit.

A Rams executive declined on Wednesday to comment on the lawsuit.

According to the agreement that one of the plaintiffs received with purchase of the PSL, in the case that the Rams do not play at the normal St. Louis stadium, the team “will use its best efforts to assure Licensee the right to purchase, on a pro rata priority basis, tickets for seats in the stadium where the transferred games are played.”

Bohm said the Rams “have made it clear in a communication” that current PSL holders would have no right to buy season tickets in L.A. or transfer them. After the NFL approved the Rams’ move to Los Angeles last week, the team shut down the sale of PSLs and posted on its website that PSL “transfers can no longer be processed.”

The PSL agreement also states that the Rams reserve the right to terminate the agreement and refund “part or all” of a PSL holder’s deposit.

The lawsuit also claims that the Rams have failed to offer to sell season tickets to current PSL holders.

Pause
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time0:00

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00
Fullscreen

00:00
Unmute

Bohm is representing his brother, Robert Bohm, and Robert’s wife, Sue, both St. Louis County residents who spent $1,000 on two PSLs when the Rams moved to St. Louis. Other plaintiffs are Edward Mock, a resident of St. Charles County, and Envision LLC, an IT consulting firm and staffing agency that bought six PSLs for a total of $27,000.

The lawsuit suggests that the court consider it a class-action suit on behalf of the thousands of other PSL holders.

This is the second lawsuit known to have been filed against the Rams since the team announced its official move. The first called for the Rams to give refunds to fans who have spent money on the team since Stan Kroenke became its owner in 2010, claiming the Rams deceived fans with false promises.

Really interested to see how this turns out.  Hopefully makes enough news to be noticed by the masses.  A big move like this sucks for PSL holders (or any fan).  Doubtful many would actually attend most (if any) games that far away, but they paid for the BS PSLs.  At bare minimum they should be able to benefit from being able to still purchase tickets in equivalent seats and then perhaps attend a game or two a season while profiting from the LA market for the rest of the games.

If not, hopefully people see PSLs as a joke and don't buy them anymore.  Would have to imagine the NFL sees this and concedes.  Otherwise they're screwing themselves on future stadiums.  Who the hell would lay out thousands or tens of thousands for a PSL that can become worthless overnight?

If their PSL Agreement grants them a right they can sue over, good for them.

Gonna guess the PSL agreement is clear cut and doesn't give them sh*t, and it'll get tossed out of court in short order.

NFL and team lawyers are generally not stupid.

From what I read there seem to be conflicting clauses, the agreement can be terminated at any time by the team BUT the contract doesn't stipulate the games had to be played in St. Louis.

We need the BMW driving guy on here to give his opinion

Hopefully this PSL talk lures SAR I out haven't heard from him in weeks

JN doesn't work in China and I just got back. 

BMW makes a great car, just put the snow tires on her, not sure if I should break the blizzard emergency law and go for bagels but I haven't had a fresh one since New Year's and the jet-lag has me awake. 

SAR I

This is excerpted from "The Myth & Mystery of Personal Seat Licenses and Season Tickets: Licenses or More?" that appeared in the St. Louis University Law Journal in 2006:

Historically, courts have analyzed season tickets and personal seat licenses on a very fact-specific and jurisdiction-specific basis to determine if a property interest exists. Courts often look at the policies of the sports organization or seller of the season tickets regarding revocability of tickets, annual renewal of season tickets, and transfer restrictions on season ticket holder status and personal seat licenses, as well as exceptions to their policies. Additionally, courts have based their findings on state laws. Because of this fact-specific and jurisdiction-specific analysis, court holdings regarding season tickets have conflicted. It seems courts faced with similar facts have different results on the property interest issue. Here, the lack of uniform treatment among courts concerning PSLs and season tickets undercuts the property system. Courts addressing the issue are faced with the difficult decision of which precedent to follow. This divergence makes it difficult for ticket sellers and purchasers to predict how a court addressing this issue may rule in the future.

If anyone's really bored and wants to read 26 pages on the law and PSLs, you can do so in PDF form at http://www.slu.edu/Documents/law/Law Journal/Archives/Davis_Article.pdf

BMW makes a great car, just put the snow tires on her, not sure if I should break the blizzard emergency law and go for bagels but I haven't had a fresh one since New Year's and the jet-lag has me awake. 

SAR I

I would hold off on the bagels for another day or two just for safety.  How was China btw?  Aren't things supposed to be crashing over there (sort of like here after we lost to Rex the 2nd time).

If the team (owner) can profit from the move to the LA market, then the PSL owners (fans) should be able to profit as well, they invested in the team and should be allowed to buy and resell tickets or resell the PSL's to LA based fans

Good luck to Bohm, I would think all PSL holders would support this

If their PSL Agreement grants them a right they can sue over, good for them.

Gonna guess the PSL agreement is clear cut and doesn't give them sh*t, and it'll get tossed out of court in short order.

NFL and team lawyers are generally not stupid.

You must have missed that whole Deflate thing

SAR I

After all these years, you were right.

Just picked up my new BMW last weekend (my first lease ever!).

What a great vehicle.

From what I read there seem to be conflicting clauses, the agreement can be terminated at any time by the team BUT the contract doesn't stipulate the games had to be played in St. Louis.

Then PSL owners should unbolt their seats and plop them down in the new stadium.

I would hold off on the bagels for another day or two just for safety.  How was China btw?  Aren't things supposed to be crashing over there (sort of like here after we lost to Rex the 2nd time).

China was good, was a successful trip.  I'd rather spend more time in Hong Kong as it's a nicer place but can't complain.  Slingbox worked well over there, thought I would need it for a Jets wildcard game, oh well.

Thanks, Cromartie

LOL, very good.

My first car was a BMW. My dad gave me his when I left for college.

I got my son an older BMW this past summer for him to take his road test and get used to before the big move to college this September.  Time flies.  Just yesterday he had a car seat in mine, now he has his own.

SAR I

SAR I

Most people haven't had to put snow tires on their car since the 70's.  Thank god I have an Audi.

As to the whole PSL/Rams thing...here's what nobody is considering....

History suggests that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of the Rams selling out the stadium, so the PSL holders won't be able to make any profit off their tickets most likely anyway.  Team should offer the pro-rated license cost back and be done with it.  If they don't do that much, they suck and should get roasted.  If they do, the fans should let it go and become Chiefs fans.

Most people haven't had to put snow tires on their car since the 70's.  Thank god I have an Audi.

All Wheel Drive is a gimmick by car companies to instill false confidence in lazy drivers.  Nothing is better than snow tires.  And I've owned several All Wheel Drive vehicles, BMW's included. 

SAR I

Archived