2016 Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Tex retiring....anyone care?

Did he officially announce?

He was a real good player, who signed too long a contract and was hurt a lot at the end.  Even last year he was productive until he broke his leg.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:45 AM, Matt39 said:

Tex retiring....anyone care?

Very, very good career. Professional.

Injuries will keep him from being remembered among the all time Yankee greats or from seeing much HOF talk.

Lots of big years but also a guy who wasn't bashful about sitting when nicked up or taking a DL stint. Eerie to see the number both he and ARod were putting up for the first 2/3 of last season only to completely fall off the face of the earth since. 

I will always remembers him as being part of one of the best infields ever for Texas in 2003-2004.

As for ARod, I imagine they either hope to shame him into a buyout or eat the remaining money. Not a good look the way the entire matter was handled since they looked for loopholes to get out of his contract when MLB suspended him.. 

I'm not a Yankees fan but I was in Boston for 4 days and went to Red Sox-Yankees on Tuesday night.  Overall I thought their fans were ok at least where I sat in the Grandstand. And didn't harass fans wearing Yankee caps and jerseys or throw beer at them (which they're famous for). Not that it wasn't a heavy drinking crowd but most of them hit the bars right outside the ballpark around Yawkey Way. Actually there were long lines to get into these bars, longer than to get into Fenway. They did rag on A-Rod during the game but most of their booing was on Ellsbury. Late in the game there were a few "Free Brady" chants (sickening) and I saw Free Brady tees for sale outside the stadium. Too bad, he's suspended??. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not a Yankees fan but I was in Boston for 4 days and went to Red Sox-Yankees on Tuesday night.  Overall I thought their fans were ok at least where I sat in the Grandstand. And didn't harass fans wearing Yankee caps and jerseys or throw beer at them (which they're famous for). Not that it wasn't a heavy drinking crowd but most of them hit the bars right outside the ballpark around Yawkey Way. Actually there were long lines to get into these bars, longer than to get into Fenway. They did rag on A-Rod during the game but most of their booing was on Ellsbury. Late in the game there were a few "Free Brady" chants (sickening) and I saw Free Brady tees for sale outside the stadium. Too bad, he's suspended??. 

the rivalry isn't that heated at the moment, it was great 10 years ago but now it's like it has been in most years throughout history.  I have always felt this was a very overrated rivalry.

Good chance we see a lineup next season with;

Gary Sanchez at C

Greg Bird at 1B

Clint Frazier in LF

Aaron Judge in RF

and sprinkle in Tyler Austin who can play corner outfield and 1B, and Refsynder at 2B/3B. Didi and Castro are also both 26-27 years old.

18 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Good chance we see a lineup next season with;

Gary Sanchez at C

Greg Bird at 1B

Clint Frazier in LF

Aaron Judge in RF

and sprinkle in Tyler Austin who can play corner outfield and 1B, and Refsynder at 2B/3B. Didi and Castro are also both 26-27 years old.

57848d08c69b3122c52682887558c0f1.jpg

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

What is wrong with Severino?   Pitched well in that long relief game, got bombed again yesterday.

I'm not watching, but is his stuff off, bad control, like what is it?

Needs a 3rd pitch.  Fastball is legit but his secondary stuff (slider) is his downfall when he doesn't have it working.

I guess they want him to work on developing a ML change-up.  I really thought he was going to have a good year based on how he did down the stretch last season.   

With A-Rod gone and the Yankees seemingly showing an interest in stockpiling young talent, I might start paying attention again.  A-Rod and a collection of overpaid superstars took all the fun out of baseball for me.  Always loved player development...something the Yankees completely lost interest in after winning a bunch of rings with players they developed.

Who remembers Kevin Maas?  I saw that dude hit two homers against the ChiSox in the midst of his magical run after his call-up to the Bronx when I was a kid.

Yanks are rollin' though.  Can anyone remember a team making a run like this after holding a fire sale?

We all remember Maas.  That was pre-Core Four, so the drafting didn't count yet. :D

Crazy that he was intentionally walked twice, but made sense based on who was batting behind him.

Yeah, he'll cool off, but he's always been able to hit and his defensive skills are top notch.  Rare combination for a catcher today.  Another great Yankee catcher?  I like the sound of that.

Sanchez' back-swing follow through is ARod-esque, but his batting stance through the swing reminds me a little of Edgar Martinez.  That was the one guy who terrified me as a Yankee fan in the 1990s.

On 8/24/2016 at 9:27 PM, AFJF said:

Who remembers Kevin Maas?  I saw that dude hit two homers against the ChiSox in the midst of his magical run after his call-up to the Bronx when I was a kid.

Yanks are rollin' though.  Can anyone remember a team making a run like this after holding a fire sale?

Shane Spencer in 98.   Hit 10 HR in 67 at bats.  Hit 49 more the rest of his career, about 1600 more at bats.

On 8/25/2016 at 3:27 PM, SMC said:

We all remember Maas.  That was pre-Core Four, so the drafting didn't count yet. :D

Crazy that he was intentionally walked twice, but made sense based on who was batting behind him.

Yeah, he'll cool off, but he's always been able to hit and his defensive skills are top notch.  Rare combination for a catcher today.  Another great Yankee catcher?  I like the sound of that.

Sanchez' back-swing follow through is ARod-esque, but his batting stance through the swing reminds me a little of Edgar Martinez.  That was the one guy who terrified me as a Yankee fan in the 1990s.

Why is the core four a thing?  

Archived