Official Pats' Elimination Thread

Bugg

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has there been any blowback on not attemtping the FG with 6:03 or 2:25  to go ?

that was a big mistake in my mind

• 4th and 1 at DEN 16

(6:03 - 4th) T.Brady pass short left to J.Edelman to DEN 17 for -1 yards (C.Harris; A.Talib) [D.Ware]

• 4th and 6 at DEN 14

(2:25 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to R.Gronkowski (A.Talib)

He should have been replaced last season in that case right?

It's the optics, tons of teams have made coaching changes this off season, including the jets as i pointed out.  How many of them did it less than 24 hours after a game in which their oline got a beat down.  And not just because they had a bad injured oline and a bad oline coach. 

No running game at all.  Few screen type plays. 

It's a big excuse move, 'this guy caused us to lose thus he is fired.'  But not fired after a day or two when things cool down a bit but less than a day after the game.  Scape goat move if there every was one.

Seriously, you have never heard of Black Monday? 

Jim Tomsula was fired within hours of winning the last game of the season.  Lovie Smith was fired within a day.  Where is the outrage?

The OL rankings they showed for Googs were bad.  They were 31st in 3 of 5 and 25th in another.  They were all related pass protection.  The one ranking they were in the top 10 was run blocking.  I am curious as to how this could be because they could not run the ball.

It is an outrage because it is the Patriots.  Coaches were fired in London and no one bats an eye.  Fire a coach a day after the franchise QB was pummeled a league high amount of times, everyone loses their sh*t.

Because he wouldn't be the first to know he's being made a scapegoat? 

BB:  Dave, could you get in here please?

DD:  Sure, Coach.

BB:  Dave, you're a great coach and you've really picked up seamlessly from where Dante Scarnecchia left off.  The players love you and have really improved under your tutelage.  We have one of the best offensive lines in the entire league thanks to you.

DD:  Thanks Coach.

BB:  Just wanted to let you know that if we lose in the playoffs in a few weeks because Tom gets hit more than 20 times, you are going to be the fall guy.  I owe my whole career -- not to mention my self-worth -- to the public's favorable perception of me and I will need a scapegoat so that nobody thinks that I'm the reason for our team losing in the playoffs.  So even though I've lost 9 playoff games in NE and never fired a coach before, THIS time, I'm going to have to throw somebody under the bus.  And that somebody is going to be you.  Sorry Dave.  But the good news is that if we win the Super Bowl, your job is safe.  

DD:  I understand, Coach.  But since public perception is so important to you, shouldn't you wait a few days after we lose before firing me, so fans of other teams on internet message boards won't think you are trying to blame me for your own failings as a coach and GM?

BB:  That's a great idea and your insight and knowledge of my psyche is second only to your outstanding performance as a coach.  So I will carefully consider that excellent suggestion.  

DD: My pleasure.  In the meantime, I will mention to my friends and family that I think I may be fired.  Just in case we lose three weeks from now in the exact manner you described and you don't change your mind between now and then. 

BB:  Dave, you're a great coach and you've really picked up seamlessly from where Dante Scarnecchia left off.  The players love you and have really improved under your tutelage.  We have one of the best offensive lines in the entire league thanks to you.

BB:  Just wanted to let you know that if we lose in the playoffs in a few weeks because Tom gets hit more than 20 times, you are going to be the fall guy.  I owe my whole career -- not to mention my self-worth -- to the public's favorable perception of me and I will need a scapegoat so that nobody thinks that I'm the reason for our team losing in the playoffs.  So even though I've lost 9 playoff games in NE and never fired a coach before, THIS time, I'm going to have to throw somebody under the bus.  And that somebody is going to be you.  Sorry Dave.  But the good news is that if we win the Super Bowl, your job is safe.  

DD:  I understand, Coach.  But since public perception is so important to you, shouldn't you wait a few days after we lose before firing me, so fans of other teams on internet message boards won't think you are trying to blame me for your own failings as a coach and GM?

BB:  That's a great idea and your insight and knowledge of my psyche is second only to your outstanding performance as a coach.  So I will carefully consider that excellent suggestion.  

DD: My pleasure.  In the meantime, I will mention to my friends and family that I think I may be fired.  Just in case we lose three weeks from now in the exact manner you described and you don't change your mind between now and then. 

Lots of entertainment value but none of which disputes or proves anything. 

Jim Tomsula was fired within hours of winning the last game of the season.  Lovie Smith was fired within a day.  Where is the outrage?

The OL rankings they showed for Googs were bad.  They were 31st in 3 of 5 and 25th in another.  They were all related pass protection.  The one ranking they were in the top 10 was run blocking.  I am curious as to how this could be because they could not run the ball.

It is an outrage because it is the Patriots.  Coaches were fired in London and no one bats an eye.  Fire a coach a day after the franchise QB was pummeled a league high amount of times, everyone loses their sh*t.

They can't blame the guy for their injuries on their o-line, which has been happening all season.

Just because their subs weren't as good can't be his fault. 

Head coaches are fired quickly because teams need to get a jump on the best head coaches available out there.  Firing a position coach less than 24 hours after a loss and making that the only big public firing at this time is scape goating at its finest.  It's pure ass covering by Bellichick, why was this guy the coach to begin with if he was so bloody awful?  why was he not canned mid season?  Nope, just less than a day after getting beat, toss the guy under the bus.

They can't blame the guy for their injuries on their o-line, which has been happening all season.

Just because their subs weren't as good can't be his fault. 

Isn't it a coaches job to develop players? 

And to be honest, the starters struggled as well.

The OL play was not good.  Brady's quick release masked a lot of issues.  When his weapons got hurt and he could not get rid of the ball as quick, the OL was exposed more and more. 

Injuries are part of the game.  While Vollmer, a career right tackle is not going to be as good as Solder, he should appear competent.

Again, several coaches were fired on Sunday night/Black Monday.  No one gave a sh*t.  Von Miller grabs his crotch.  Not even a peep.  A story comes out a player tried to wipe his genitals on Brady last Sunday.  Again, the silence is deafening.  If a Patriot did what Miller did or the other 'alleged' incident, there would be a 1000 more threads on this board. 

TL;DR version please. 

Head coaches are fired quickly because teams need to get a jump on the best head coaches available out there.  Firing a position coach less than 24 hours after a loss and making that the only big public firing at this time is scape goating at its finest.  It's pure ass covering by Bellichick, why was this guy the coach to begin with if he was so bloody awful?  why was he not canned mid season?  Nope, just less than a day after getting beat, toss the guy under the bus.

The best coaches are still coaching in the playoffs.  And that does not affect contacting college coaches.

Again, a coach, regardless of position, are commonly fired within 24 hours of the season ending.  Should we look for threads back in 2009 after Dan Pees was fired a day after the Ravens ran for like 300 yards against the Patriots?  Probably none.

TL;DR version please. 

BB was going to fire his OL coach at the end of the season regardless of when and how the season ended (although perhaps another SB win could have saved him, but I'm not sure even that would have done it).  The fact that it happened immediately after a loss where Brady was hit 23 times is just a convenient coincidence for the team's detractors.  

BB was going to fire his OL coach at the end of the season regardless of when and how the season ended (although perhaps another SB win could have saved him, but I'm not sure even that would have done it).  The fact that it happened immediately after a loss where Brady was hit 23 times is just a convenient coincidence for the team's detractors.  

No chance he fires him if they win. Come on.

Perhaps if Brady didn't throw the ball directly to Von Miller with no pass rush in his face, or didn't skip his second progression on the two point conversion (a wide open gronk) to try to squeeze it into his covered third option with no pass rush in his face, this OL coach wouldn't have been fired.

The broncos D- specifically their pass rush ability without having to blitz and sacrifice coverage, is gnarsty. Has been all season. It was not news to anyone that they'd give any OL problems. Meanwhile, this pats OL with their 30-whatever combinations was getting praised along with Beli all season long - even though they're playing third stringers everywhere. 

Those are the facts. Create your story however you'd like with it. I'm gonna go with: the guy used all sorts of combinations to put together a line that was serviceable with third stringers everywhere for the majority of the season, but it's not his fault his main guys got hurt, and it's also not his fault that they just happened to go up against the best defense with the best pass rushing DL in the NFL. Whether he deserved to be fired isn't the point. The way it was done so close to such a brutal loss is. It's scape-goating by the best coach in the NFL who shouldn't feel the need to do such a thing - but did. 

Perhaps if Brady didn't throw the ball directly to Von Miller with no pass rush in his face, or didn't skip his second progression on the two point conversion (a wide open gronk) to try to squeeze it into his covered third option with no pass rush in his face, this OL coach wouldn't have been fired.

The broncos D- specifically their pass rush ability without having to blitz and sacrifice coverage, is gnarsty. Has been all season. It was not news to anyone that they'd give any OL problems. Meanwhile, this pats OL with their 30-whatever combinations was getting praised along with Beli all season long - even though they're playing third stringers everywhere. 

Those are the facts. Create your story however you'd like with it. I'm gonna go with: the guy used all sorts of combinations to put together a line that was serviceable with third stringers everywhere for the majority of the season, but it's not his fault his main guys got hurt, and it's also not his fault that they just happened to go up against the best defense with the best pass rushing DL in the NFL. Whether he deserved to be fired isn't the point. The way it was done so close to such a brutal loss is. It's scape-goating by the best coach in the NFL who shouldn't feel the need to do such a thing - but did. 

Assuming that BB cares one whit that people on the internet are going to accuse him of "scape-goating" (I can assure that you that he does not), how long does he have to wait to officially fire a coach that he has decided to fire? 

Assuming that BB cares one whit that people on the internet are going to accuse him of "scape-goating" (I can assure that you that he does not), how long does he have to wait to officially fire a coach that he has decided to fire? 

He can fire anyone when ever.

It's not coaches fault.  They had backup offensive tackles going against 2 elite pass rushers.  That's what happens.  Some of those plays, Von Miller looked like he was shot out of a gun.  He's turning the corner, and the OT is getting out of his stance.

So I'm just someone on the internet, but you are someone who can assure me of Belichick's feelz? 

Archived