Senior Bowl Week News

flgreen

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4. Contrary to Wentz and Goff there’s little excitement for Connor Cook. I took flak from Michigan State fans last week after posting teammates were “less than effusive in their praise” of the quarterback, but scouts and insiders I spoke with in Mobile said the situation surrounding Cook’s personality poses a problem for them. The fact he chose not to attend the Senior Bowl further complicates the situation and it’s something Cook will be grilled about during the Combine. One of my guys gets kicked in the mouth.

The Bama game is all you need to know about Connah

"Some of the scouts and evaluators we speak to watch the tape of the Senior Bowl game, but many of them don't. Some evaluators like to see how they compete and whose competitiveness stands out. Overall though, this game means next to nothing in terms of players' draft grades. Teams give a lot of credence to how the players practice during the week, and that is why all of the evaluators leave town after the practices are finished. Still, the game is fun to watch to get a glimpse of players who will be playing for NFL teams next fall."

I find this strange to say the least.  At the very least seeing players in live game action should make you make a note on a player that they looked either better or worse in game conditions.

I feel like I totally get it.

The actual game itself, is such a distorted version that it provides an unreliable predictor of in-season game performance. That's the way I feel. Braxton Miller did sh*t in that game...So what? The hell can these guys do with 5 days of practices with new coaches? Rotating in and out for playing time... It's a terrible illustration.  

I'm sure that there's a couple of instances where a player in the game made scouts go back and revisit their notes -- but otherwise how they measure up and respond during practice lets the scouts and teams get up close and personal. And it's relateable. 

The Bama game is all you need to know about Connah

I see you one Bama game and I raise you career at MSU .   This was a tough year for Connor Cook no doubt .  His play makers were not what he was accustomed to, and he was hurt down the stretch of this last season . The issue with the OSU Legend put a different spotlight on a kid who may or may not deserve it causing teammates and people outside the Spartan program to question his mental makeup . 

I think when this kid is healthy and has a comfort level with his receivers he's a 1st round pick all day long . That's just my take because his career at MSU is one of a winner.

The actual game itself, is such a distorted version that it provides an unreliable predictor of in-season game performance. That's the way I feel. Braxton Miller did sh*t in that game...So what? The hell can these guys do with 5 days of practices with new coaches? Rotating in and out for playing time... It's a terrible illustration.  

I'm sure that there's a couple of instances where a player in the game made scouts go back and revisit their notes -- but otherwise how they measure up and respond during practice lets the scouts and teams get up close and personal. And it's relateable. 

Practices like Tarzan plays like Jane or visa versa.  Let's look at the opposite of Miller, that Oakaman due, didn't do shi* in practices but had a very good game.  This is especially true of QB's , game action vs practice action?  Not even close.

Yep, I think you get it to.   

Virtually no GM's actually stay for the game.  I'm sure at least one scout in every organization watches the tape of the actual game, but for the most part the game is structured for the fans.   The week leading up to it is for the scouts, with a lot of 1-1 match up's of top players who are hard to grade because often they are matched in games with inferior opponents..

In the game they get limited reps  against who ever is against them.  I enjoy the game a lot.  Probably more then this year's Super bowl if I even watch it.   But the week leading up to the game is where the players rise or fall in the draft.  There is also an unofficial interview process that goes on all week by both scouts, and GM's.  For most this is the first time they have seen these guys up close.

All I know is that after watching some of the practices some of the players just showed much better in the game, most of the Qb's for example all ran the offenses pretty well all made pretty good throws.  Then we have the shrine bowl where guys like sudfeld were being touted for having good arms and looking good and then he was absolute garbage in the game whereas Adams looked okay in practice but showed the whole package in the game.

Practices like Tarzan plays like Jane or visa versa.  Let's look at the opposite of Miller, that Oakaman due, didn't do shi* in practices but had a very good game.  This is especially true of QB's , game action vs practice action?  Not even close.

QBs need live bullets, true... but again like i was saying - the game is not a good predictor. So even though Oakman had a big day, i don't think scouts and such put a huge amount of stock in how well they played in a gloried scrimmage game. Maybe in his case, some teams will hold off taking Oakman off their boards, but... you get what I'm saying. 

All I know is that after watching some of the practices some of the players just showed much better in the game, most of the Qb's for example all ran the offenses pretty well all made pretty good throws.  Then we have the shrine bowl where guys like sudfeld were being touted for having good arms and looking good and then he was absolute garbage in the game whereas Adams looked okay in practice but showed the whole package in the game.

A good case to follow will be Arkansas' Allen... By all accounts, Wentz's performance was meh. Spun a few balls, but nothing really came of his drives. His practice week, the stuff scouts were more interested in, send his stock through the roof... Allen on the otherhand looked better than people thought in the game. I'd wager that won't effect his stock much. Probably keeps him off the UDFA list, but.. eh, who knows. 

QBs need live bullets, true... but again like i was saying - the game is not a good predictor. So even though Oakman had a big day, i don't think scouts and such put a huge amount of stock in how well they played in a gloried scrimmage game. Maybe in his case, some teams will hold off taking Oakman off their boards, but... you get what I'm saying. 

Jamrcus Russell can sure spin that ball!  Best pro day ever!  I will stay with my thought, you learn as much about a player or more in game than in some simulated one on one thing with no white noise around you.  A glorified scrimmage is far closer to a game than one on ones.  I think one on ones totally devalue 'instincts'.  There have been so many cases of a player not looking great one on one but in game he shows up all over the place.

A good case to follow will be Arkansas' Allen... By all accounts, Wentz's performance was meh. Spun a few balls, but nothing really came of his drives. His practice week, the stuff scouts were more interested in, send his stock through the roof... Allen on the otherhand looked better than people thought in the game. I'd wager that won't effect his stock much. Probably keeps him off the UDFA list, but.. eh, who knows. 

Well yes all a matter of opinion Wentz looked far from meh to me.  Allen did look good though.

Well yes all a matter of opinion Wentz looked far from meh to me.  Allen did look good though.

The smart answer (to your other post) is probably a mix of everything. Game tape, drills, work outs, etc. Why leave anything to chance? Maybe they feel they can catch the coles notes on the game and get what they need. 

Interesting thing abut the Senior Bowl is that every GM is there during the week for practices, and very few stay for the game.    I'm sure they can watch tapes of it, but still 

A part of it may well be the essentially wasted day of friday, gms are so busy they can't afford throw away days, In any case most gms rely on the scouts so as long as scouts are there for the game then I suppose it is no big deal.

A part of it may well be the essentially wasted day of friday, gms are so busy they can't afford throw away days, In any case most gms rely on the scouts so as long as scouts are there for the game then I suppose it is no big deal.

From what I've read at least, most GM's conduct interviews all day on Fri, and leave Fri night.

I'm sure the time factor is a big part of it on Saturday.  

Archived