Trading Richardson

SenorGato

Upon signing the contract Watt received a $10 million signing bonus and guaranteed salaries in 2014 and 2015 to bring his total of fully guaranteed salary to $20.876 million. If he is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2015 League year he wil receive a $10 million roster bonus and will have his 2016 and 2017 base salaries become fully guaranteed in 2016. Watt converted the roster bonus to a signing bonus in 2015 to create $8 million in cap space.

Wouldn't that increase his guaranteed money?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upon signing the contract Watt received a $10 million signing bonus and guaranteed salaries in 2014 and 2015 to bring his total of fully guaranteed salary to $20.876 million. If he is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2015 League year he wil receive a $10 million roster bonus and will have his 2016 and 2017 base salaries become fully guaranteed in 2016. Watt converted the roster bonus to a signing bonus in 2015 to create $8 million in cap space.

Wouldn't that increase his guaranteed money?

So what do you think Mo should get?? With Mo due and 50 million for Mac to spend no one found it odd that Mo didn't get a contract?? I think when Mac and Mo's agent sat down to talk Mac decided to take another D-lineman in the draft..LOL Mo has been hanging with Revis too long..

So what do you think Mo should get?? With Mo due and 50 million for Mac to spend no one found it odd that Mo didn't get a contract?? I think when Mac and Mo's agent sat down to talk Mac decided to take another D-lineman in the draft..LOL Mo has been hanging with Revis too long..

I take it that you think Jets should not tag Mo or try to get a contract done?

What do you think Mo is worth?

Cameron and Heyward received a $16 mil and $12 mil SB.

Listen, why don't you come up with a conytract offer you think Mo would take and fair to the Jets.

Easy to criticize..... put some effort into this debate.

And I think Cameron is defenitely comparable to Mo with less talent around him.

I already did.  

he's not signing for Heward money, Mos a lot better player

60 you're proposing a 60 million deal, 20 of which is signing bonus?  Which means his 5 year contract is 40 million?  8 million per?  Don't think that happens.  He's a 12 mil per player plus a 20 mil SB player.  Minimum.  Don't know what he would be willing to take to stay here.  

That is not how it works.  Regardless of how the money is distributed, the deal would be for $60 Million, or $12 Million per year.

What exactly does trading Sheldon Richardson do for the Jets salary cap. I can't see how the Jets can keep both Damon Harrison , and Muhammad Wilkerson. ( too much money that going to effect other areas of the team.

i think after 2016 season might be the better time to trade Sheldon Richardson ( let him prove he can stay out of trouble).  Right now due to his drug suspension( failed four  drug test) his trade value isn't going to be as high.    

Heck who knows he might grow up , and  the Jets might be glad they didn't act too hastily . 

too much money for a line that does not terrorize passers

You draft Stanley in rd. 1 and you can release D'Brick..... or go Coleman in Rd. 2 to take over for Breno.

Brick counts $14 mil to the cap EACH of the next 2 years. He won't make that kind of money elsewhere.

I think we may be able to cut and resign him on a 2 yr. deal which works for both sides. He'll want to retire a Jet.

Stanley will be gone in the top ten. 

I'm personally not seeing the enormous marginal value of Wilkerson over Richardson. You could pick up a very very good FA with the difference in their total price tags.I think that does more for the team overall than giving Wilkerson the big contract. The Jets are in the very lucky position of having this kind of problem. Most teams would be fighting over either on of these guys.

OTOH, the value of keeping Wilkerson over Harrison - and not messing with 3 more cheap years of Richardson in the early years of Wilkerson's extension - should be plain as day (except with an actual number, because I'm lazy).

Basically, what I'm saying is that it's not a Wilkerson or Richardson situation here. That actually basically covers why not to trade Richardson. Their best move is to lock up Wilkerson and enjoy having three top tier DLmen in their 20's through almost the end of the decade, two on their rookie contracts.

OTOH, the value of keeping Wilkerson over Harrison - and not messing with 3 more cheap years of Richardson in the early years of Wilkerson's extension - should be plain as day (except with an actual number, because I'm lazy).

Basically, what I'm saying is that it's not a Wilkerson or Richardson situation here. That actually basically covers why not to trade Richardson. Their best move is to lock up Wilkerson and enjoy having three top tier DLmen in their 20's through almost the end of the decade, two on their rookie contracts.

Fair enough. But you will have 4 top tier DL with L. Williams. Somebody should go with a maximum return in draft pick compensation and freeing money to go after other FA's.

Richardson is arguably the team's best player. He's been subject to a minimum of three drug tests a month since his suspension, and has obviously remained clean. A naturally brash guy, he seemed genuinely humbled by his run in with the law. And again, no new incidents on that front, either. 

I hope they're not even considering trading him. 

he disappeared for long stretches last year.  he was out of shape after his suspension.  he is a really bad long term risk.  he doesn't give a sh*t about the coach or GM, he didn't even tell them he was arrested

he disappeared for long stretches last year.  he was out of shape after his suspension.  he is a really bad long term risk.  he doesn't give a sh*t about the coach or GM, he didn't even tell them he was arrested

Yeah, I'd give him the best athlete on the team, but not the best player. That is Revis or Wilkerson. I didn't know all this about Richardson.

The reason to keep him is because he's young, they already have him, and he is on a rookie deal for two-three more years. That has immense value for the Jets, though this nonsense above doesn't sound like a player to keep around. 

If the Seahawks offered pick 26, how much more would they have to add on before it's an interesting offer?

He was asked to play LB for the first time in his career.  He was the good soldier and helped the team while hurting his personal numbers.

Hardly the guy you claim didn't give a shlt about the coach or GM.  

Richardson is arguably the team's best player. He's been subject to a minimum of three drug tests a month since his suspension, and has obviously remained clean. A naturally brash guy, he seemed genuinely humbled by his run in with the law. And again, no new incidents on that front, either. 

I hope they're not even considering trading him. 

It's immaterial that Sheldon Richardson has been able to stay clean so far?   why. He had the structure of football to keep him busy.  Now without that structure, and back home with his buddies, ( free time) this is the time where he most likely going to screw up again.( he can make it to next year training camp without getting caught it will be a big deal.

The Jets are losing Snacks or Muhammad Wilkerson this year, and there is no way Sheldon Richardson is going anywhere this year.

They'd get over not extending Harrison. 

Perhaps. But I'm with the posters who see his role as a NT being quite valuable and difficult to replace. He also performed quite well in the past year. I wouldn't underestimate his value -- much depends on what sort of contract he wants. Most of this is in the end about reasonable vs. ridiculous dollars that impair flexibility to fill other holes. We are very fortunate in a sense to have a cheap QB who is solid.

Perhaps. But I'm with the posters who see his role as a NT being quite valuable and difficult to replace. He also performed quite well in the past year. I wouldn't underestimate his value -- much depends on what sort of contract he wants. Most of this is in the end about reasonable vs. ridiculous dollars that impair flexibility to fill other holes. We are very fortunate in a sense to have a cheap QB who is solid.

Is it possible that the talent surrounding Snacks has made him seem better than he is, and may be easier to replace than say Wilkerson or Richardson?

I agree though, depending on what he is demanding for compensation is the deciding factor here.  It is important to keep in mind that any team could have snagged him last year, and no offers came in, even if it would have cost a 2nd round pick.  If any team thought he was a large contract guy, a second round pick and $2 Million per would have been a simple decision.  

Is it possible that the talent surrounding Snacks has made him seem better than he is, and may be easier to replace than say Wilkerson or Richardson?

I agree though, depending on what he is demanding for compensation is the deciding factor here.  It is important to keep in mind that any team could have snagged him last year, and no offers came in, even if it would have cost a 2nd round pick.  If any team thought he was a large contract guy, a second round pick and $2 Million per would have been a simple decision.  

That's a very good point. Things that make you go Hmmmmm?

Could that same talent make Simon become the next Snacks?

Is it possible?? How about a fact instead?? Mo wasn't the player he is till Snacks and Sheldon were added in 2013..In 2011 and 12 he had less sacks then Coples did his first 2 years playing with half the game starts as Mo..

The Jets have been wanting for a NT once in the past 16 years - the year between Ferguson leaving and Pouha emerging. They've never had to spend more than the third and fifth to get one.

Harrison performed well, Wilkerson was better and waaaaay better against the pass. 

The Jets have been wanting for a NT once in the past 16 years - the year between Ferguson leaving and Pouha emerging. They've never had to spend more than the third and fifth to get one.

Harrison performed well, Wilkerson was better and waaaaay better against the pass. 

and our defense was absolute trash when we had a crap Nose Tackle like Dewayne Robertson.  Snacks not only stops the run he makes everyone around him better including Wilk.  Letting Snacks walk, who only wants $5 mil per season, to give Wilk $15 mil per season would be the dumbest thing ever

and our defense was absolute trash when we had a crap Nose Tackle like Dewayne Robertson.  Snacks not only stops the run he makes everyone around him better including Wilk.  Letting Snacks walk, who only wants $5 mil per season, to give Wilk $15 mil per season would be the dumbest thing ever

Where did you get the 5 million number from?  Just curious.

Very good post.

Archived