Uppity Jets Cheerleaders Win Class-Action Settlement

SenorGato

According to the New York Post, the lawsuit was originally filed in 2014 by one Krystal C., who claimed the women made only $150 per game and were not compensated for practice time. The Associated Press reports that the women were also forced to pay for their own hair, makeup, and transportation.

According to Krystal’s attorney, via CNN: 

"When you look at the actual hours worked versus what Krystal was paid, she only made $3.77 per hour," Pierce said. "When you factor in the required hair, makeup and transportation expenses, the hourly rate goes below $1.50 an hour."

That means it requires 39.78 hrs (roughly a normal work week) to prepare for each game and approx $90.33 in extra expenses as mentioned. 

But what exactly do cheerleaders practice all week - a unique game plan? They're basically background talent, film extras. The $150 rate per game is equivalent to film/tv extra pay per 8 hr day. How long is a game? Extras are paid 1.5x after 8 hrs; up to 12 hrs. Double time pay after twelve. Maybe we had a couple OT games but it's not like those bimbos got us to the postseason or anything. We need better cheerleaders.

According to the New York Post, the lawsuit was originally filed in 2014 by one Krystal C., who claimed the women made only $150 per game and were not compensated for practice time. The Associated Press reports that the women were also forced to pay for their own hair, makeup, and transportation.

According to Krystal’s attorney, via CNN: 

"When you look at the actual hours worked versus what Krystal was paid, she only made $3.77 per hour," Pierce said. "When you factor in the required hair, makeup and transportation expenses, the hourly rate goes below $1.50 an hour."

That means it requires 39.78 hrs (roughly a normal work week) to prepare for each game and approx $90.33 in extra expenses as mentioned. 

But what exactly do cheerleaders practice all week - a unique game plan? They're basically background talent, film extras. The $150 rate per game is equivalent to film/tv extra pay per 8 hr day. How long is a game? Extras are paid 1.5x after 8 hrs; up to 12 hrs. Double time pay after twelve. Maybe we had a couple OT games but it's not like those bimbos got us to the postseason or anything. We need better cheerleaders.

The cheerleaders attend other events on behalf of the team that they were not being paid for at all. It would be like getting paid for working Monday and then going the rest of the week for free.

Wonder why some feminist actions are not taking them to task on this issue?  No one cares that cheerleaders can do routines they are there fro eye candy 100% and that's it.  People can try and lie to themselves and think they are a cheer team or team ambassadors or whatever but they are there because they are good looking and that's it.

Cheerleaders are really underpaid, knew one in Tampa and I dont even think they paid her, she just got paid to do promotions.  Either way, they deserve reasonable pay, they practice a lot and are professionals.  My $0.02.

+1

I have met a few of them and they are all very polite and approachable and put in a lot of hours.

Having to pose with some of the knuckle draggers we have in Jet Nation alone justifies a large increase in pay.

I hadn't realized they were being forced to take these positions, not told what the pay was before hand, and unable to leave once they took the job. It's not like they were drafted and forced to play in 1 city

I hadn't realized they were being forced to take these positions, not told what the pay was before hand, and unable to leave once they took the job. It's not like they were drafted and forced to play in 1 city

+1

They should have just gone to the job store and gotten a new job.

+1

They should have just gone to the job store and gotten a new job.

I don't see the issue, the girls choose to do this job and if they choose to stop doing it , there are probably 1000 girls willing to take their place. This is almost certainly more of a resume builder for some other long term goal and I imagine they earn money in other ways, appearances , modeling, etc.

I actually kinda/sorta know one of them, maybe I'll ask what else she gets out of it next time I see her or her relative who I know better. I know the tickets they give her are terrible though, like 3-4 rows from the top

Ultimately  paying them more isn't going to effect the Jets so whatever but I generally don't believe in setting artificial floors/ceilings that go against market forces, nor do I feel bad for girls choosing to do this while building towards some other goal. Most of these girls are attractive and will do just fine

I just really wanted to use that line. That said, whether they're using the job as a resume builder or not should not be a factor in their pay, not even a little bit. Neither should imagined or maybe possible revenue streams this gig may or may not play a part n landing. 

Honestly, if I broke my hours down, I'd not be making much more than her. Folks in the entertainment industry have always been paid poorly--and I'm talking about the real ones, the everyday people who keep an industry running-- it's part of the job at this point. I live in Chicago and living on that kind of money is a challenge. I can't imagine what that's like in the tri state area.

That being said, I chose to work in the entertainment industry. I signed that contract. I knew what I was getting into. Very few people actually understand how much work it takes to put on a good performance. No one really ever sees the rehearsals, set up, breakdown, travel, equipment management, parking, tickets-- not to mention the years and money it took to get to that point. The understanding-gap between entertainer and entertained is pretty massive.

Me? I don't ask for more money. I think it breeds resentment and widens that gap. I just work as hard as I can and take what I can get. Sometimes I have a great month and sometimes I squeak by (no gov handouts, in case anyone's wondering).

Bottom line, they took the gig. Gotta play by the rules until/if somethings changes.

(And btw, hanging out with millionaires ain't really as great as it's made out to be)

Agreed.  I play guitar (not out), but many of my colleagues do.  They get between $50 and $100 for a night in small bars etc.  If some suit was filed to pay these 

guys a minimum fee of say $100 to $200, my bet is most gigs would disappear. Some of these guys actually believe that here should be a minimum fee. they simply done see the economics.

Agreed.  I play guitar (not out), but many of my colleagues do.  They get between $50 and $100 for a night in small bars etc.  If some suit was filed to pay these 

guys a minimum fee of say $100 to $200, my bet is most gigs would disappear. Some of these guys actually believe that here should be a minimum fee. they simply done see the economics.

I have serious doubts getting $50-$100 dollars to spend 3-4 hours gigging at a local bar is the same situation as a full time job paying what these girls are/were supposedly getting paid.

I have serious doubts getting $50-$100 dollars to spend 3-4 hours gigging at a local bar is the same situation as a full time job paying what these girls are/were supposedly getting paid.

Its entertainment....  its value is not based on a minimum wage.  That was his point.   Please lets not take it out of context. 

Its entertainment....  its value is not based on a minimum wage.  That was his point.   Please lets not take it out of context. 

Aren't you taking it a little out of context when you compare your colleagues' hobby - netting them well over the minimum wage - to the full time jobs of these women?

Getting 50-100$ for a three hour gig is par for the course. I don't think anyone is saying that a guy/gal who does it as a hobby is the same situation as these gals. I'm talking about professionals who perform for a living. Generally you're trying to get 4 or more of these gigs every week, usually with various groups. So that's 12-16 hours of music you have to learn, memorize, rehearse, and perform at a level that allows you to return to that venue. 4-8 hours/week of set up and break down (you don't just show up at your scheduled time and hit, it's usually required that you show up at least an hour before showtime), 20 or so hours of rehearsal and practice, 5-6 hours communicating with venues and group members (most of whom are flaky and dont get back to you right away) trying to setup your next few months of performances. Then you play them (12-16 hours) and move on to the next week which hopefully all the work you did this week doesn't get completely changed the next week.

Not even mentioning travel, equipment, rehearsal space, promotion, taxes, tolls, etc. it's not easy.

All for 300-500$/ week on average. Full time job.

^^ I hear you 100%. Always hear about comedians vs. club owner battles over money...sick sh*t. I'd suggest a union - at least for comics and I think there is one or one got kicked around - understanding that that is no small task. These cheerleaders should unionize across the NFL but I won't hold my breath. That might be the straw that breaks the camels back as far as teams having cheerleaders.

Aren't you taking it a little out of context when you compare your colleagues' hobby - netting them well over the minimum wage - to the full time jobs of these women?

No...  cheer leading is NOT full time. For example, my ADP payroll REP (full time job) is a Panther Cheerleader (she looks good too! :) ). It is WELL established that Cheerleaders make a few hundred bucks a game. They don't do it for the money. 

Yeah but musician performers don't need to spend hardly any time before the gig practicing, buying equipment, gas to meet up for practice jamming, nor...oh wait.

Well never mind that. Look at the other side instead: these girls NEVER would have styled their hair or purchased makeup if they weren't cheerleaders right? Women - particularly ones with model looks - never otherwise do that on their own. If they weren't cheerleaders they wouldn't own any makeup or so much as a single hairbrush, right? 

And no one else has to wear non-reimbursed clothing - suits, pants, shirts, ties, shoes - or have reliable transportation, show up groomed, bathed, etc. as part of their job requirements. 

:)  

Truth is my joking aside, in practical terms this isn't remotely related to other jobs/businesses. Publicly subsidized stadium alone that throws off so much that, for the # of cheerleaders employed, the amount in question isn't even a rounding error. Or if Woody truly wants to pay so little, then as jgb threw out there, make it a non paid intern activity instead of a true job. 

You want to see your blood boil over cheerleaders' woes? See what goes on with these girls, with the uniforms scams and injuries, in high school. Now that is something worth getting bothered over. 

Wait... You think this is a full time job?  So, at 150-200 a game X 8 games for non-playoff teams, the cheerleaders full time job pays them 1200-1600 a year?  Professional cheerleading is just as big a hobby as they guy who plays guitar in a bar.  That said, I do agree that they should not have to lay out of pocket for hair/make-up.  As for transportation expenses, whether I'm going to work, or to one of my hobbies, I pay for that.  As for practice, I'd have to know the time requirements before venturing an opinion on that (ie, does compensation for the game make up for practice time).

The important difference here is that your guitar playing pals are independent contractors hired to perform services at an agreed rate. The cheerleaders are controlled by their employer in a manner that makes them employees subject to wage laws. You're a CPA so you're likely aware of the IRS test for independent contractors vs. employees. In wage matters a very similar test is applied. The day bars start telling your friends how to dress or how much they can weigh then we can start talking about a valid comparison.

If cheerleader jobs were eliminated, how different would these girls' "career arc" be?  The ones who become strippers I'm referring to. 

I still say cheer leading opens legit doors for these girls.  One example (admittedly not the most common) is Teri Hatcher. 

one example.

cheering for the jets doesn't open any doors. 

Wait... You think this is a full time job?  So, at 150-200 a game X 8 games for non-playoff teams, the cheerleaders full time job pays them 1200-1600 a year?  Professional cheerleading is just as big a hobby as they guy who plays guitar in a bar.  That said, I do agree that they should not have to lay out of pocket for hair/make-up.  As for transportation expenses, whether I'm going to work, or to one of my hobbies, I pay for that.  As for practice, I'd have to know the time requirements before venturing an opinion on that (ie, does compensation for the game make up for practice time).

I was hoping that would go forever ignored.

Then log off before EY logs on.  He been doing this for a decade.

I also play out. Your friends are getting ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what? you don't think musicians have to prepare for gigs ? 

The important difference here is that your guitar playing pals are independent contractors hired to perform services at an agreed rate. The cheerleaders are controlled by their employer in a manner that makes them employees subject to wage laws. You're a CPA so you're likely aware of the IRS test for independent contractors vs. employees. In wage matters a very similar test is applied. The day bars start telling your friends how to dress or how much they can weigh then we can start talking about a valid comparison.

Wouldnt they be exempt under the management provision?  Half of them could be GM based on Idziks moves. :)

If these women want to cash in on their role, they should either open up a dance studio or associate themselves w/ one and advertise "current NFL cheerleader teaching the classes" (they can also partner up w/ a cheerleader accessories store that sells pom poms etc and get a commission for referrals).  That would carry an awful lot of weight for people deciding whether or not to join a particular studio.  So the dance lessons that these girls get as part of their job are VALUABLE.  Plus their title ("NFL cheerleader") is valuable as well. 

Let's also not forget that it bumps up their "desireable-ness"  (I know - not a word) w/ males.  So it helps them get the guy of their choice.  So maybe they date a CEO (who wants to brag to his friends "I'm dating a cheerleader") instead of some average guy. 

Of course, there are also calendars and appearances that can make these girls money.  In short, with the slightest amount of creativity these girls can absolutely cash-in on their "low paying" job.

the mistake is accepting a fee for services arrangement in the first place

I would have thrown this out of court based on that alone

with that said, it looks really bad for an NFL team worth billions to be so damned cheap with the ladies

If these women want to cash in on their role, they should either open up a dance studio or associate themselves w/ one and advertise "current NFL cheerleader teaching the classes" (they can also partner up w/ a cheerleader accessories store that sells pom poms etc and get a commission for referrals).  That would carry an awful lot of weight for people deciding whether or not to join a particular studio.  So the dance lessons that these girls get as part of their job are VALUABLE.  Plus their title ("NFL cheerleader") is valuable as well. 

Let's also not forget that it bumps up their "desireable-ness"  (I know - not a word) w/ males.  So it helps them get the guy of their choice.  So maybe they date a CEO (who wants to brag to his friends "I'm dating a cheerleader") instead of some average guy. 

Of course, there are also calendars and appearances that can make these girls money.  In short, with the slightest amount of creativity these girls can absolutely cash-in on their "low paying" job.

I think they need to go to these appearances already.  That was part of the lawsuit. 

I dont think ceos are going for the jets cheerleaders.  

I doubt they receive licenses to advertise their own businesses with NFL or team trademarks or copyrights.

Archived