Realistic Picks by round

CanadaSteve

I am sure we all hope a top pick drops to us at 20, just like the hope Ezekiel Elliot will drop into the 2nd round.  But I compiled a pre-combine list of players at the five positions that I (emphasis "I") think we should consider within the first four rounds.

Round 1

QB:  Connor Cook  and Jared Goff.  If Wentz skyrockets, Goff could slip a little.  Who knows.

RB: Ezekiel Elliot.  He really is the only first round RB.

OT: Taylor Decker and Jack Conklin

ILB: Reggie Ragland and Jaylon Smith

OLB: Kevin Dodd, Silique Calhoun, Leonard Floyd, Scooby Wright. 

The value at around 20 seems to be in the OLB.

Round 2

QB: Christian Hackenberg

RB: Devontae Booker, Alex Collins, Derrick Henry

OT: Shon Coleman, Jerald Hawkins, Jason Spiggs

ILB: Kentrell Brothers

OLB: Su'a Cravens, Darron Lee, Noah Spence, Joshua Perry

2nd round might be where to look for the RB.  It is worth noting that there seem to be A LOT of C this year.  It might be time to look at drafting Mangold's replacement.

3rd-4th Round

QB: Kevin Hogan, Brandon Doughty, Dak Prescott

RB: Paul Perkins, Kenneth Dixon, Jordan Howard, Kenyan Drake

OT: John Theus, Germain Ifedi, Kyle Murphy, Brandon Shell, Willie Beavers, Joe Haeg, Denver Kirkland, Avery Young
ILB: Dominique Alexander, Kyler Fackrell, Tyler Matakevich

OLB: Vince Biegel, Eric Striker, Dadi Nicola, Terrance Smith

3rd round seems like a good spot for a RT.  I do not think they pick a LT until next year, with the intention that unless a QB falls, they need to invest in D'Bricks replacement.

FIRE AWAY!

I am sure we all hope a top pick drops to us at 20, just like the hope Ezekiel Elliot will drop into the 2nd round.  But I compiled a pre-combine list of players at the five positions that I (emphasis "I") think we should consider within the first four rounds.

Round 1

QB:  Connor Cook  and Jared Goff.  If Wentz skyrockets, Goff could slip a little.  Who knows.

RB: Ezekiel Elliot.  He really is the only first round RB.

OT: Taylor Decker and Jack Conklin

ILB: Reggie Ragland and Jaylon Smith

OLB: Kevin Dodd, Silique Calhoun, Leonard Floyd, Scooby Wright. 

The value at around 20 seems to be in the OLB.

Really only have an opinion on Round 1 at the moment.  Goff, Wentz, Ragland, Elliott and Decker would be my wishlist, in that order. 

Fitzpatrick's possible extension shouldn't scare us off from the QB's IF we like either of those 2.  An athletic ILB like Ragland would be my next best, and something we've needed for a long while.  Elliott would be very hard to pass up, though I don't see him lasting that long.  Decker is the most realistic choice for us, and would be a good one.  He works in a zone blocking scheme like ours, and has long arms to handle most pass-rushers.  He could start at RT and, perhaps, eventually flip to LT.

Cook I see as more of a Round 2 option.  Never know how the QB's will move up or down, however. 

I think Noah Spence is a first round pick maybe a top 10 if he falls to 20 I think Mac takes him 

Spence is a HUGE question mark.  First round talent, but I have seen him drop to late round 3 because of all the off-field crap.  He is a huge talent that comes with huge HUGE question marks.

Spence is a HUGE question mark.  First round talent, but I have seen him drop to late round 3 because of all the off-field crap.  He is a huge talent that comes with huge HUGE question marks.

Yeah, there are way too many Justin Blackmon's/Josh Gordon's and even Sheldon Richardson's to take a kid like Spence in the top 10. With that said, he becomes "draftable" once we get to around the 20th pick imo which is where we select. I would probably avoid him simply because of the NFL suspension policy. But he would fit our defense perfectly and IF he can stay clean could be a steal. 

Edit to show why this kid is trouble and doesn't appear to learn his lesson:

Treated for drug addiction and banned for life from Big Ten after failed drug tests in 2013 and 2014. Arrested in May of 2015 for alcohol intoxication and second­-degree disorderly conduct, 

The good news for us is that we can sit back and let someone drop down to us.....we could realistically take  an ILB, OLB, OT, RB, WR, or QB.  Heck, at ##20 we could even take a guard or a TE.  We don't have a glaring hole at any one spot.  Somebody is going to slip to us at a position of need.  That being said, if I had to bet money, I'd bet on Ezekiel Elliot or Leonard Floyd.  I think Spence goes in the Top 10 

Really only have an opinion on Round 1 at the moment.  Goff, Wentz, Ragland, Elliott and Decker would be my wishlist, in that order. 

Fitzpatrick's possible extension shouldn't scare us off from the QB's IF we like either of those 2.  An athletic ILB like Ragland would be my next best, and something we've needed for a long while.  Elliott would be very hard to pass up, though I don't see him lasting that long.  Decker is the most realistic choice for us, and would be a good one.  He works in a zone blocking scheme like ours, and has long arms to handle most pass-rushers.  He could start at RT and, perhaps, eventually flip to LT.

Cook I see as more of a Round 2 option.  Never know how the QB's will move up or down, however. 

No Jaylon Smith?

Round 2

QB: Christian Hackenberg

RB: Devontae Booker, Alex Collins, Derrick Henry

OT: Shon Coleman, Jerald Hawkins, Jason Spiggs

ILB: Kentrell Brothers

OLB: Su'a Cravens, Darron Lee, Noah Spence, Joshua Perry

Pretty sure we're only allowed to take 1 person per pick.

Before the Senior Bowl, I agree.  Since Senior Bowl Week, I don't think anyone is mocking him in the 3rd any more.

Spence is one of the people that the Senior Bowl soared.  He kicked everyone's butt.

There are people now talking about him going top ten.   Hard to believe, but it's happening.  Of course I don't know what GM's are thinking 

Almost stopped reading after I saw Conner Cook in the 1st if I'm being honest.

That is where he is projected to go, and IF we were going to pick a QB, he could be the only one in that spot.  I am not saying we draft him, I am just trying to realistically show who could be at these spots when we draft at each position

Archived