Colin Kaepernick wants out of SF, prefers to join Jets. Thoughts???

Mogglez

I remember after our 2nd AFC Championship the offseason made me feel like we were going to be a bad no fun team and I checked out of being a Jets fan up until this past offseason when the team felt like it was being recreated in a positive way. If they make this move it will be like that former offseason all over again. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Johnson seemed bothered by what he perceived as similarities between the team’s two losses to the Bills. Both games were bad games for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick that came down to the fourth quarter. Fitzpatrick threw three fourth-quarter interceptions in the final game, and two in the first meeting.

“I think we played the game the same way twice,” Johnson said. “That’s what I recall. I don’t know what you guys think. I hate to lose the same way twice, and that’s not what we did during the season. We played pretty well. We got better. When we played the Patriots the second time, we did better. Todd’s aware of that.”

• On Fitzpatrick, another pending free agent: “Ryan did a nice job for us last year. He’s a good leader and people like him.”

Look, I'm not the biggest Kap fan, but we all know how talented the kid is. His lack of talent last year contributed to a horrible season, but he was a very good player when he had talent around him. 

If if you look at the past couple of Super Bowls, each had a mobile type QB. All I'm saying is I'd definitely consider it. 

This is a tough one .. I kinda like the pocket passing gun slinger mentality Fitz has brought back to the jets .. 2 1,000 yards recievers it's been a while .. I can't remember has Kaep ever helped a Reciever light it up ? He is 28 and has done some very good things in this league .. Price would definitely play a big factor . I wouldn't completely close the door on it .. 

Fitz is a gun slinger?

If he wants to come to the Jets they would be crazy not to take a shot.  

We're talking about one of the most promising QB's in the NFL three years ago - and since then he's been on one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the the NFL. 

I would LOVE to see him with Gailey  

people saying no are crazy - as if we have so many other QB options and/or prospects.  

And you pay him what it takes (just not long term)

with that said, not happening.  Chip is there for Kaep.  They're not letting him go   

I'd take my chances on Kaep over Fitz, Geno and Petty.  If we could get him on the cheap, I'd roll the dice.  But I hope it wouldn't prevent the Jets from drafting a QB.  Ideally we draft our future starting QB this year.  We let Kaep play while the rookie gets up to speed.  Then, after a good comeback season, we trade Kaep for a good pick (as his value will be back up) and we let the guy we draft take over.

If Kap returned to his early form, I'd say that might not be a terrible option, but I still wouldn't want to hang our season's hopes on just him. Like I said, he was woeful last season. Was it a down year? Injuries? Personnel? Scheme? Just not a right fit? I don't know, but I think it's way too optimistic to think he would be as successful as he was.

I didn't watch a whole lot of his play, but my theory on his regression had, at least in part, to do with his style of play. That is, run-option QB. I, for one, would prefer a QB who thinks to throw first, instead of panics and takes off running (a la RGIII) I think after a while teams figure it out, stack the box, pressure the QB and dare him to throw and that's when either injuries or mistakes happen. I think that's what happened with Kap. Geno is actually a "throw first" QB, but he doesn't have the composure of quick-thinking that Fitz has, so he makes colossal mistakes, too.

So, I guess it's not just Kap himself that I'm not sold on, it's his style of play. I'm not a fan of the read option QBs. Of course, I want the QB to run when he can and take what the defense gives him (Geno didn't do that enough), but I think for some QBs that becomes a crutch.

I think Kap may be a fine backup and perhaps starter, but he'd first have to prove it. No handing him the job and hoping a change of scenery is all he needed, and he'd legitimately have to win the back-up job, which I still don't think is a given.

And no, I would not, at this point, keep Kap over Petty, even.

If we can bring Fitz back at reasonable # I do that first.

if we can't retain Fitz, or luck out with a Brees caliber QB being let go .... And Cap is cut so I give nothing up and don't take on his current contract, I'd bring him in on a short term, incentive laden under 10 per year at best deal

No thanks. He takes one read and runs. No wonder defenses have figured out how to neutralize him.

If we can sign him for vet min as a backup I guess it's not bad if we can unload Geno on another team. I doubt he goes for that deal and I doubt we can trade away Geno. Makes no sense to replace one bad backup on a cheap deal with a slightly less bad backup if you have to eat dead money on the first one.

Obviously we don't want to overpay, but anyone who says no, should have their head examined.  This guy has more talent in his butt than Fitz has in his entire body.  You give any half way decent qb, Marshall, Decker, a solid run game and a quality OC who has a history of helping qbs excel and you they can have a Fitz type season.   You bring Kaep in here and let Gailey work with him and we will have our best shot to dethrone the Pats.  This guy has played in two NFC championship games and came close to leading his team to a  super bowl victory and everyone is like "he is garbage".  I know that that was three years ago, and last year he didn't play well, (he was also hurt for part of the season).    We have not been to the big game in over 45 years; make it happen Mac. 

Obviously we don't want to overpay, but anyone who says no, should have their head examined.  This guy has more talent in his butt than Fitz has in his entire body.  You give any half way decent qb, Marshall, Decker, a solid run game and a quality OC who has a history of helping qbs excel and you they can have a Fitz type season.   You bring Kaep in here and let Gailey work with him and we will have our best shot to dethrone the Pats.  This guy has played in two NFC championship games and came close to leading his team to a  super bowl victory and everyone is like "he is garbage".  I know that that was three years ago, and last year he didn't play well, (he was also hurt for part of the season).    We have not been to the big game in over 45 years; make it happen Mac. 

Why not bring back Sanchez then? At least he got better year to year where Kaepernick regressed to pitiful. Not worth the time or money investment to fix for average QB play. 

I would not pay him the salary he wants but if he will come here on a prove it deal on the cheap with incentives you do it in a heartbeat-Fitz is not a qb that has the talent to take a team deep in the playoffs which has already been proven-number of playoff wins  in career? Cap has tons more ability and with decker and marshall he would be deadly-

No thanks.  This offense needs a guy who can get rid of the ball quickly and make smart decisions with the football.  Kap is ideal for Chip Kelly's offense, he needs to stay put.  I question the authenticity of this report because it makes no sense.  Maybe Kap is convinced Kelly is a racist or something and had his camp leak it as a way to get out.  Regardless, the Jets don't need a running QB.  Despite the highlight reel plays Kap makes with his filthy athleticism, he makes even more dumb ones.

Archived