Jets are aiming for a QB early - and I think they mean it

Paradis

script>

Insiders tell me New York Jets will target a QB in the 1st two rounds. Team has been extensively scouting the top QB prospects all season

The new regime wants their guy. They made it public, they've made it known.  They did so last year - and worked out Winston, Mariota and anyone else they felt was worth the time..Now it's 2016 and they're playing that song again. 

Why?

Well, consider the following not-so-unlikely scenario.. .. A year from now we enter the 2017 offseason and this is the situation:

1. Fitzpatrick regresses to the norm and plays more like an 6-10 QB, than the 10-6 we finished this year. Am I wishing for that? No but i'd be an idiot to rule it out. 
  2. Geno is gone... whether it's this year or next, anything but his departure is unlikely.
  3. Petty continues his legacy of holding a clipboard on the sidelines. If this wasn't likely, we wouldn't be meeting with Wentz at Mobile, Alabama last week.

If Fitz plays poorly or even mediocre next year, he won't be afforded the luxury of faith that someone like Rivers or Brees gets. Which brings us to the present; I feel like this year (while our draft position is less than ideal) is the right time. 

So I ask you, are you ready for the Jets go all in on a QB? How do you see that playing out?... 

Myself: 

I'm not buying this trash about DAL and SD considering a QB. None of the 3 prospect are can't miss, and neither team is desperate. One of those 3 is going tumble into the mid-teens. We may have to go up and get him, but i think he'll be there. I'm personally smitten with Lynch. I love everything about him and his potential. I see giant sized aaron rodgers... but this isn't a Paxton blow job thread. Lets hear from others.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you.  As much as if love to see the jets refortify their OL or finally grab an edge rusher with their first round pick, right now seems like the ideal time to go get a potential franchise QB.  Why?  Because he can sit behind Fitzpatrick for a year or two and be groomed.  That approach worked pretty well with Pennington and I'd like to see the Jets try it that way again.  Fitzpatrick also seems like the ideal person for a young QB to watch and learn from so why not take advantage of the situation while they can. 

I don't think any of the QBs make it to 20 and the Jets are an old team and should not be trading up for any of them. I just don't see it happening. Maybe in the 2nd round, but not the first. Someone would have to fall pretty hard to even consider taking at 20. That said, if they draft someone in the first round, I'm not sure they bring back Fitz. There's a lot of time between now and May. Will be interesting to see it play out. 

Wentz

Goff

Lynch

Cook

Hackenberg

These are the only QBs I believe are worthy of 1st or 2nd round picks .

Wentz and Goff will probably be off the table  so of the remaining 3 I can see why everyone will have their favorites .

I like Cook, but his off the field has soured him with fans and supposedly some evaluators, which will cause him some money which is unfortunate .

That leaves Lynch and Hackenberg,  one in Lynch a 1st rounder reportedly and the other maybe a 2nd rounder  whose on the field has evaluators scratching their heads.

If it's me, I am not spending a 1st round pick on a QB when there's no clarity on what I might get . Sometimes you have an Idea on what a player might be, and his tape re-enforces those ideas. With Lynch and Hackenberg, I have no idea . Both players have all the tools to be upper echelon NFL starting QBs but the competition level of Lynch and the lack of production of Hackenberg leaves much to be desired.

If I had to choose, I take a shot at Hackenberg in the 2nd  and use my 1st rounder elsewhere.  If all things fail, then I turn my attention to Jacoby Brissett with a 4th or 5th rounder .

I do think the Jets would like to get a QB in this draft to replace smith, but I don't think it will be in the 1st or 2nd round.  I think , like last year, they will hope to get a QB in the mid rounds who, according to their big board has a higher value.

I honestly don't think they are "targeting" anyone in this draft.  I think they are going to let the draft come to them, and take BAP.

I don't think any of the QBs make it to 20 and the Jets are an old team and should not be trading up for any of them. I just don't see it happening. Maybe in the 2nd round, but not the first. Someone would have to fall pretty hard to even consider taking at 20. That said, if they draft someone in the first round, I'm not sure they bring back Fitz. There's a lot of time between now and May. Will be interesting to see it play out. 

Dunno about falling "pretty hard". These 3 guys, while full of potential, are not Mariota or Winston. They're not top 5 locks. 

1. TEN -- obviously not
  2. CLE -- a near lock to take 1
  3. SD -- way more likely to burn a pick on OT than QB
  4. DAL -- not buying it. They need defense in the worst way. Bosa is a talent Jerry will jump at
  5. JAX -- no
  6. BAL -- no
  7. SF -- If you believe the reports, Kelly was chosen because he wanted to work with Kaep. I don't think it's a lock at all. 
  8. MIA -- no
  9. TB -- no
  10. NYG -- nope
  11. CHI -- maybe a wildcard here. 
  12. NOS -- same as CHI
  13. PHI -- completely depends if they resign Sam. 
  14. OAK -- no
  15. LA -- legit threat. 
  16. DET -- nope
  17. ATL -- no
  18. IND -- nope
  19. BUF -- Who knows.
  20. Jets -- maybe?

There's only 2 teams with clear agendas. If Sam resigns, you can scratch Philly off the list and it just comes down what SF is thinking. I'm totally fine with the Jets leapfrogging up ahead of LA, but honestly... I think LA is the one who will trade into the top 10 for Goff assuming the Browns take Wentz. If Lynch makes it out of the top ten and Philly resigns Sam... well, there's always BUF.

If we have a chance to grab one of the top three I say go for it.  I'm not saying that a guy like Lynch is a lead pipe cinch to be a great Qb but sitting and taking him at 20 is much more palatable than teams who trade up for Jags.  Geno is a goner so we will take a Qb somewhere, I guess if we draft another raw potential guy in the 4th round we increase our chances of him or petty being good but I'd rather draft one in the 1st round if one of the top 3 is there.  I'm not very high on Cook or Hackenburg to be honest, at least not high enough to us that 2nd rounder.

The other factor in this is Wilkerson, we just  might find ourselves with another 1st rounder or 2nd , 3rd rounders.

A QB who no body is talking about, and i like for the Jets in the 4th is Cardale Jones.  

Great size, arm, athleticism. Only 10 games experience, and got benched this year for JT.

Think he would be a great 4th round pick to sit and forget about for a few years.  A lot of things were going on at OSU this season that affected him.  

The bouncing around of QB's coaches, and OC's, and who had play calling responsibility, plus Meyer's use, and development of QB's in general didn't help Jones' cause at all.   With his tools think he would be a great 4th round value (if he is still there)

A QB who no body is talking about, and i like for the Jets in the 4th is Cardale Jones.  

Great size, arm, athleticism. Only 10 games experience, and got benched this year for JT.

Think he would be a great 4th round pick to sit and forget about for a few years.  A lot of things were going on at OSU this season that affected him.  

The bouncing around of QB's coaches, and OC's, and who had play calling responsibility, plus Meyer's use, and development of QB's in general didn't help Jones' cause at all.   With his tools think he would be a great 4th round value (if he is still there)

He got benched because he's awful. Nothing about him is appealing. The Jets already have Petty, a developmental QB like Jones doesn't make sense.

He got benched because he's awful. Nothing about him is appealing. The Jets already have Petty, a developmental QB like Jones doesn't make sense.

It all comes down to opinion of course, but I would take him before either Cook or Hackenberg.   

IMO a lot of his awful is 10 games experience, and  a very unstable coaching environment,  Guy has as much natural talent as anybody in this draft, including Wentz. and Goff.  He has a hell of a lot of work to do.  What situation he falls into in the NFL is going to determine how he develops.

I like Petty as a prospect, and hope he is #2 this year.  With Fitz probably being around for 2 or 3 years, i think having 2 developmental QB's behind him makes a lot of sense.   Maybe one of these guys can make the next step with all the physical tools both of them have.

Every QB in this draft IMO is a developmental player.  Don't see any of them being an effective opening day starter.   

It all comes down to opinion of course, but I would take him before either Cook or Hackenberg.   

IMO a lot of his awful is 10 games experience, and  a very unstable coaching environment,  Guy has as much natural talent as anybody in this draft, including Wentz. and Goff.  He has a hell of a lot of work to do.  What situation he falls into in the NFL is going to determine how he develops.

I like Petty as a prospect, and hope he is #2 this year.  With Fitz probably being around for 2 or 3 years, i think having 2 developmental QB's behind him makes a lot of sense.   Maybe one of these guys can make the next step with all the physical tools both of them have.

Every QB in this draft IMO is a developmental player.  Don't see any of them being an effective opening day starter.   

IMO; Cardale didn't stand a chance this year.

What's the recipe for fcking up a QBs development? well, you take a guy who has little starting experience, give him the momentum of a winstreak to a championship - then strip him of his starting title, and enter him into a god damn Urban Meyers magic show. I don't even need to get into 2015, it was botched from the get go. 

I don't like Cardale before the 3rd that's for sure, but people who throw "awful" and "sucks" around discredit themselves.

After the 1st round, i see value in the 4th round with Prescott/Cardale/Hack in that order - but like someone else said, we already have that guy in Petty. 

It's 1st round or forget it for me.

I don't know in my eyes he did look very good the year before.  He honestly looked like a good prospect the year before this past one.  I view him and Cook in the same way (Cook a better prospect obviously).  Both looked good the year before this past year.

IMO; Cardale didn't stand a chance this year.

What's the recipe for fcking up a QBs development? well, you take a guy who has little starting experience, give him the momentum of a winstreak to a championship - then strip him of his starting title, and enter him into a god damn Urban Meyers magic show. I don't even need to get into 2015, it was botched from the get go. 

I don't like Cardale before the 3rd that's for sure, but people who throw "awful" and "sucks" around discredit themselves.

After the 1st round, i see value in the 4th round with Prescott/Cardale/Hack in that order - but like someone else said, we already have that guy in Petty. 

It's 1st round or forget it for me.

I agree with 90% of your post in that Meyer, and the OSU CS certainly didn't  do Jones any service the way that offensive was handled this year.

Where our opinions differ is I really don't like ANY of he QB's in this class in the 1st round.  Generally when a GM takes a QB in the 1st, the team will be committed to him.  I just don't see any one worthy of that commitment.

IMO Jets will take a mid rounder.  In the 4th as you said is where the value might be, unless some GM's get antsy and take a QB undervalue, which happens often with QB's 

I don't know in my eyes he did look very good the year before.  He honestly looked like a good prospect the year before this past one.  I view him and Cook in the same way (Cook a better prospect obviously).  Both looked good the year before this past year.

He did look great i the championship run, for sure. But I like to see QBs get better over the four years of school, not regress.

He did look great i the championship run, for sure. But I like to see QBs get better over the four years of school, not regress.

Agreed, actually that is a mantra for most positions and it amazes me how often the experts look at production from the year before rather than draft year and excuse lesser draft years performances.

Wentz

Goff

Lynch

Cook

Hackenberg

These are the only QBs I believe are worthy of 1st or 2nd round picks .

Wentz and Goff will probably be off the table  so of the remaining 3 I can see why everyone will have their favorites .

I like Cook, but his off the field has soured him with fans and supposedly some evaluators, which will cause him some money which is unfortunate .

That leaves Lynch and Hackenberg,  one in Lynch a 1st rounder reportedly and the other maybe a 2nd rounder  whose on the field has evaluators scratching their heads.

If it's me, I am not spending a 1st round pick on a QB when there's no clarity on what I might get . Sometimes you have an Idea on what a player might be, and his tape re-enforces those ideas. With Lynch and Hackenberg, I have no idea . Both players have all the tools to be upper echelon NFL starting QBs but the competition level of Lynch and the lack of production of Hackenberg leaves much to be desired.

If I had to choose, I take a shot at Hackenberg in the 2nd  and use my 1st rounder elsewhere.  If all things fail, then I turn my attention to Jacoby Brissett with a 4th or 5th rounder .

Would avoid Cook like the plague. You could probably count on one hand QB's who start for 3 years in either High School or College who aren't voted captain their senior year. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Don't we already have a Qb who his teammates hate?

I think this kid Cook has awesome Talent, but he's gonna lose some big money on draft day unless someone steps up and save him .  If 3 QBs go before 20 and so does Spence, I think I want to trade down . I would even take less to move down .

Fitz, Petty and this year's pick... fill the QB room with guys you actually chose to bring in, rather than guys you inherited.

If you don't find "the guy", then find "the right now" and keep drafting QBs until you find at least 1.

They are lottery tickets, and finding one makes your team relevant for 10 years. Completely worth over-investing in the position.

On 2/3/2016 at 1:46 AM, Paradis said:

The new regime wants their guy. They made it public, they've made it known.  They did so last year - and worked out Winston, Mariota and anyone else they felt was worth the time..Now it's 2016 and they're playing that song again. 

Why?

Well, consider the following not-so-unlikely scenario.. .. A year from now we enter the 2017 offseason and this is the situation:

1. Fitzpatrick regresses to the norm and plays more like an 6-10 QB, than the 10-6 we finished this year. Am I wishing for that? No but i'd be an idiot to rule it out. 
  2. Geno is gone... whether it's this year or next, anything but his departure is unlikely.
  3. Petty continues his legacy of holding a clipboard on the sidelines. If this wasn't likely, we wouldn't be meeting with Wentz at Mobile, Alabama last week.

If Fitz plays poorly or even mediocre next year, he won't be afforded the luxury of faith that someone like Rivers or Brees gets. Which brings us to the present; I feel like this year (while our draft position is less than ideal) is the right time. 

So I ask you, are you ready for the Jets go all in on a QB? How do you see that playing out?... 

Myself: 

I'm not buying this trash about DAL and SD considering a QB. None of the 3 prospect are can't miss, and neither team is desperate. One of those 3 is going tumble into the mid-teens. We may have to go up and get him, but i think he'll be there. I'm personally smitten with Lynch. I love everything about him and his potential. I see giant sized aaron rodgers... but this isn't a Paxton blow job thread. Lets hear from others.

I agree with everything you said, but I don't know about the Aaron Rodgers analogy with Lynch. 

7 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

With two years left on his 4-year, $2.4 million contract, AJ McCarron could help a team looking for a QB

Jets will have an opportunity to add another quality QB prospect and that's good news to hear

I don't think McCarron looked all the good this season. He's certainly not an upgrade at the position currently. If the Jets were going down that path, why not see what Petty has?

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't think McCarron looked all the good this season. He's certainly not an upgrade at the position currently. If the Jets were going down that path, why not see what Petty has?

Agree, he is not an upgrade for the Jets but I could see Cleveland sending a 2nd round pick to reunite Hue and AJ and using their first on another player - could make the first round QB picks more interesting 

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree, he is not an upgrade for the Jets but I could see Cleveland sending a 2nd round pick to reunite Hue and AJ and using their first on another player - could make the first round QB picks more interesting 

I don't know why in heavens you guys are discussing McCarron and a NC UNFA QB who's tossed around practice squads like the town harpy. 

I'm talking big balls Quaterbacks here. Future face of the franchise material.  

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Thanks. Check out some games with that same comparison in mind. The HOU and Ole Miss games in particular give you a good variety. 

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/paxton-lynch/

I'm with you Paradis... love Lynch and think having him and Petty on the bench learning from Fitz for a season or two could be a great scenario.

Honestly think we'd have to trade up to #12 with the Saints if the Bears pass. Depends on what the Eagles and Rams do pre-draft.

Hackenberg this year - he's not even an option in the 5th round IMO.

Cook -  locker room melanoma.

I like Petty, but Mac is too smart to think that's all you need.

I'm ok drafting a QB because why not - that's really the best reason I got.

I think the Saints trading Jimmy Graham away told me everything I need to know about their rebuilding plans.  I see them heavily in the market. 

On 2/5/2016 at 1:49 AM, David Harris said:

Hackenberg this year - he's not even an option in the 5th round IMO.

Cook -  locker room melanoma.

I like Petty, but Mac is too smart to think that's all you need.

I'm ok drafting a QB because why not - that's really the best reason I got.

I think the Saints trading Jimmy Graham away told me everything I need to know about their rebuilding plans.  I see them heavily in the market. 

Idk about Hackenberg... he's so used to being the guy that I think if you put him on the bench for a year or two and simply make him learn (give him weapons and protection over time) he could be legit.

I don't see how you rule out DAL taking a QB. They have invested heavily in their OL and as much as Jones wants Romo to remain the star it's impossible to overlook Romo's injury risk and age, not to mention DAL's lack of a legitimate replacement. Moore looked alright as a backup and Cassel is or should be out. Maybe they have faith in Showers developing...maybe. If Showers isn't the future and DAL has a chance to draft a good prospect at QB then I have a hard time seeing Jones not take it.

I don't disagree about the need for defense.

56 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't see how you rule out DAL taking a QB. They have invested heavily in their OL and as much as Jones wants Romo to remain the star it's impossible to overlook Romo's injury risk and age, not to mention DAL's lack of a legitimate replacement. Moore looked alright as a backup and Cassel is or should be out. Maybe they have faith in Showers developing...maybe. If Showers isn't the future and DAL has a chance to draft a good prospect at QB then I have a hard time seeing Jones not take it.

I don't disagree about the need for defense.

I understand the logic, i just don't see it happening.

DAL isn't in a full rebuilt mode. In fact, with Romo healthy* they're expected to own that division... and yet they have sooo many needs right now on defense. They just can't afford to use the #4 pick overall on a luxury like a QB (and not a bonafide talent like Winston).. not happening. RG3 has basically voiced his desire to go there, and i'm sure they'd love to have him. DAL is gonna be all about Bosa and/or Jack.

Trade Mo wilk to the raiders for their 14th pick and take Paxton Lynch

Remember people thought the draft with Alex Smith and Arod in it were weak too.

Last year ppl were down on that class, talking up 2016 like it was legendary with cook hack and cardale. None are projected to go in the 1st as of today and both Winston and Mariota appear to be hits.

I think you have to throw all that jazz out the window. Next year, this year, comparing what's available to what's not etc. Just scout the guys available as they are and go after one of you see franchise potential

If we're not developing the next face of Geen and White, then we're just wasting our time with the Fitz show IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree... they need to take a QB every year until one emerges.

Ideally I'd like a Fitz/Rookie/Petty trio going into next year. Drafting in the teens/20s also takes the pressure off of starting the rookie right away if they're not totally ready.

Also, if Petty (who I really like) shows no growth next TC then they need to move on from him too. There are guys every year that slip and have some nice tools.

Archived