Is Carson Wentz our qb of the future?

drdetroit

I think he's the best qb in the draft.  Reminds me of Joe Flacco.  Big tall qb who has a great arm and throws lasers downfield but is also deceptively very mobile.  Played well at the Senior Bowl.

Jets scouts have already met with him and PFF mocks him to us at 20. Only issue is I don't know if he lasts that far

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If he's the best QB in the draft, which some think he could be, then he won't make it to 20. There are still a bunch of QB needy teams.

A bunch?  Nope.

1.  Titans:  NO

2.  Browns:  YES

3.  Chargers:  Doubtful.  The Chargers are committed to Rivers for at least the next 2 years based on his contract extension.  They'd be far more likely to burn a 2nd rounder or later on a developmental type of QB; at the 3rd pick they're trying to grab an elite player elsewhere.

4.  Cowboys:  Doubtful.  The Cowboys will likely pick up a Manziel or RG3 as the backup to Romo, who they are committed to for at least the next 2 years, and more likely 3 years.

5.  Jaguars:  NO

6.  Ravens:  NO

7.  49ers:  Maybe.  Depends on what Chip Kelly thinks of Kaep and Blaine Gabbert. 

8.  Dolphins:  NO

9.  Bucs:  NO

10.  Giants:  NO

11.  Bears:  Likely.  The Bears are committed to Cutler for 2016 based on his contract.  But they could definitely look to draft his replacement to groom for a year.

12.  Saints:  Maybe.  Brees' contract expires after 2016, so this is their opportunity to get something for him.  But with Payton returning its hard to imagine them making a trade.  Either way, there is a very good chance they look to draft a QB.  But will that be in Round 1, when their whole roster is a mess?  Who knows.

13.  Eagles:  Maybe.  With only Mark Sanchez under contract, I could see the Eagles signing someone like Chase Daniel (who is a UFA, and who Doug Pedersen worked with in KC) and also drafting a QB to bring in to camp, while letting Bradford walk.  But again, that might not be a 1st round QB.

14.  Raiders:  NO

15.  Rams:  Maybe.  The Rams are committed to Nick Foles for another season financially, and its rare that Jeff Fisher makes major investments in QB's via the draft.  Possibly because he got burnt by Vince Young.  I could see them using a mid-rounder on a QB but not necessarily the 15th pick.

16.  Lions:  NO

17.  Falcons:  NO

18.  Colts:  NO

19.  Bills:  Doubtful.  I imagine the Bills are mostly happy with Tyrod Taylor's performance last year.  Plus this is Rex we're talking about.  They'll take a Front 7 guy here.

20.  Jets:  ???

So I count:

1 definite YES.

1 LIKELY

4 MAYBE's

Obviously, teams may try to trade up.  But then again so could we, we don't know what's in Macc's plans.  But there aren't tons of teams ahead of us in need of QB's like there are in usual drafts.  I don't EXPECT Wentz to be there at 20, but its possible.  There's a lot of time between now and May for these guys to get evaluated.  Wentz may be seen as more of a 2nd rounder by the time the draft comes around, or he could shoot all the way up to # 2.  Just too many unknowns to say anything with certainty like you can with other QB classes.

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A bunch?  Nope.

1.  Titans:  NO

2.  Browns:  YES

3.  Chargers:  Doubtful.  The Chargers are committed to Rivers for at least the next 2 years based on his contract extension.  They'd be far more likely to burn a 2nd rounder or later on a developmental type of QB; at the 3rd pick they're trying to grab an elite player elsewhere.

4.  Cowboys:  Doubtful.  The Cowboys will likely pick up a Manziel or RG3 as the backup to Romo, who they are committed to for at least the next 2 years, and more likely 3 years.

5.  Jaguars:  NO

6.  Ravens:  NO

7.  49ers:  Maybe.  Depends on what Chip Kelly thinks of Kaep and Blaine Gabbert. 

8.  Dolphins:  NO

9.  Bucs:  NO

10.  Giants:  NO

11.  Bears:  Likely.  The Bears are committed to Cutler for 2016 based on his contract.  But they could definitely look to draft his replacement to groom for a year.

12.  Saints:  Maybe.  Brees' contract expires after 2016, so this is their opportunity to get something for him.  But with Payton returning its hard to imagine them making a trade.  Either way, there is a very good chance they look to draft a QB.  But will that be in Round 1, when their whole roster is a mess?  Who knows.

13.  Eagles:  Maybe.  With only Mark Sanchez under contract, I could see the Eagles signing someone like Chase Daniel (who is a UFA, and who Doug Pedersen worked with in KC) and also drafting a QB to bring in to camp, while letting Bradford walk.  But again, that might not be a 1st round QB.

14.  Raiders:  NO

15.  Rams:  Maybe.  The Rams are committed to Nick Foles for another season financially, and its rare that Jeff Fisher makes major investments in QB's via the draft.  Possibly because he got burnt by Vince Young.  I could see them using a mid-rounder on a QB but not necessarily the 15th pick.

16.  Lions:  NO

17.  Falcons:  NO

18.  Colts:  NO

19.  Bills:  Doubtful.  I imagine the Bills are mostly happy with Tyrod Taylor's performance last year.  Plus this is Rex we're talking about.  They'll take a Front 7 guy here.

20.  Jets:  ???

So I count:

1 definite YES.

1 LIKELY

4 MAYBE's

Obviously, teams may try to trade up.  But then again so could we, we don't know what's in Macc's plans.  But there aren't tons of teams ahead of us in need of QB's like there are in usual drafts.  I don't EXPECT Wentz to be there at 20, but its possible.  There's a lot of time between now and May for these guys to get evaluated.  Wentz may be seen as more of a 2nd rounder by the time the draft comes around, or he could shoot all the way up to # 2.  Just too many unknowns to say anything with certainty like you can with other QB classes.

A bunch is a group of things (more than one). You did a lot of work to prove me right.

• 7 months later...

Archived