Tony Dungy - Hall of Famer - Yeah or Neigh

no psls

57 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Dungy: Sure fire HoFer, Coughlin: not deserving. 

You're the very best of the best. 

I agree Coughlin is a better HC.  When they announced Dungy made the HOF on Saturday night, they said he was the first African American HC to win a Super Bowl.  My assumption is that is why he made it.  

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I agree Coughlin is a better HC.  When they announced Dungy made the HOF on Saturday night, they said he was the first African American HC to win a Super Bowl.  My assumption is that is why he made it.  

can you please tell me why you think he is a better HC than Dungy?

9 minutes ago, peebag said:

That's your opinion that's not shared by HOF voters.

it was shared by voters for many, many years until the PR campaign finally got Swann in.  he does not belong, the Hall is completely watered down.  it's for very good players instead of the best of the best.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

it's not my fault I know and understand this game better than you.

Tony Dungy took over the WORST franchise in the sport, w/in 2 years had them in the playoffs.

Dungy coached 13 seasons:

-he had ONE losing season(1st season taking over worst franchise in the sport), 8% of the time

-won double digit games 10 times, 77% of the time

-made playoffs 11 times, 85% of the time

-Peyton manning had played 4 seasons and didn't have a playoff win until Dungy got there

-most consecutive losing seasons? 1

-most consecutive seasons missing playoffs? 1

-most consecutive winning seasons? 10

-most consec times making playoffs? 10

Coughlin had the benefit of taking over the jaguars when the league gave them and Carolina every advantage to succeed quickly.  Both expansion teams made title game year 2(Car at 12-4, jax at 9-7)

Coughlin coached 20 seasons:

-had SEVEN losing seasons, 35% of the time

-won double digit games just 7 times, 35% of the time(that's 3 more times in 7 less chances for Dungy)

-made playoffs 9 times, 45%(2 less time than Dungy and Dungy had 7 less seasons)

-most consec losing seasons? 4

-most consec winning seasons? 4

most consec times making playoffs? 4

it's nice Coughlin had 2 great postseason runs but greatness is about what you do over time not what you do over the course of a month.

tl;dr;dont care.

This is why you're the very best of the best.

No one, not even the staunchest of the staunch pats fans that I know, goes to the unashamed and completely unobjective lengths that you go through to discredit Peyton, the Giants, or the coaches and team surrounding Brady than you do...and you do it all so that you can worship the toilet that brady* sh*ts on.

Some of your greatest hits on JN over the past three weeks since Peyton beat your boy brady* (again) in the postseason:

- Dungy's a HoFer because he dragged Peyton to a SB = discredit's Peyton.
- Coughlin and his 2 SBs over the pats including an 18-0 pats team = Coughlin isn't a HoFer.
- belichick* was nothing without brady* and only developed into a great coach because of brady* but isn't an all time great.
- Peyton was dragged to all 4 super bowls and even the two he won had nothing to do with him, while brady* dragged the pats* to all of theirs. But when brady* lost, it wasn't because he played poorly, it's because the giants mediocre D was elite. Newsflash: you're saying brady* can't beat elite defenses...
- brady* plays with no one great but Peyton had uber talented teams around him (conveniently forgetting that over the past 9 years, brady* has played each year with either the greatest WR threat in NFL history (Moss) and/or the greatest pass catching TE threat in NFL history), and Eli and Coughlin get no credit because they won due to miraculous plays and an "elite D" (guess HC and QB deserve no credit for those throws and the "elite" defense)

11 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

tl;dr;dont care.

This is why you're the very best of the best.

No one, not even the staunchest of the staunch pats fans that I know, goes to the unashamed and completely unobjective lengths that you go through to discredit Peyton, the Giants, or the coaches and team surrounding Brady than you do...and you do it all so that you can worship the toilet that brady* sh*ts on.

Some of your greatest hits on JN over the past three weeks since Peyton beat your boy brady* (again) in the postseason:

- Dungy's a HoFer because he dragged Peyton to a SB = discredit's Peyton.
- Coughlin and his 2 SBs over the pats including an 18-0 pats team = Coughlin isn't a HoFer.
- belichick* was nothing without brady* and only developed into a great coach because of brady* but isn't an all time great.
- Peyton was dragged to all 4 super bowls and even the two he won had nothing to do with him, while brady* dragged the pats* to all of theirs. But when brady* lost, it wasn't because he played poorly, it's because the giants mediocre D was elite. Newsflash: you're saying brady* can't beat elite defenses...
- brady* plays with no one great but Peyton had uber talented teams around him (conveniently forgetting that over the past 9 years, brady* has played each year with either the greatest WR threat in NFL history (Moss) and/or the greatest pass catching TE threat in NFL history), and Eli and Coughlin get no credit because they won due to miraculous plays and an "elite D" (guess HC and QB deserve no credit for those throws and the "elite" defense)

I deal in reality, I don't discredit.  sorry the truth bothers you.

Peyton is an all time great reg season QB, he has been mediocre in postseason.

Coughlin has 2 great postseason runs but they were 10-6 and 9-7.  that's not greatness.  Dungy exhibited greatness over time not over two months.

the record shows what BB was w/o Brady as a HC

Brady hasn't had half the talent around him that Manning has had.

again, I apologize you don't like reality.  If you would like me to lie I guess I can pretend Coughlin was pure greatness and Peyton better than Brady and all that but I prefer to give honest, educated opinions.

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I don't think most remember how bad Tampa was.

1976-1995(20 seasons): TB made 3 postseasons

1996-2001 w/ Dungy(6 seasons): TB made 4 postseasons

2002-2015(14 seasons): TB made 3 postseasons

It's amazing, people talk about outing coughlin in the Hall b/c he had 2 fluky runs at 9-7/10-6 but they want to keep Dungy out whose teams were consistently among the best in the league and turned around the biggest laughingstock in sports.

Coughlin built the 90's Jags teams.  Dungy built the 90's Bucs teams.  Without David Tyree making the luckiest catch ever they have the same # of SB wins yet Coughlin is a lock first ballot HOFer while people here are calling Dungy "decent."

Lol

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

Well, Dungy did.  He really helped turn that around, him and the GM.

To me, he should have won with TB.   He couldn't, but Gruden could, and that's not a great endorsement for Dungy.

It's not a great endorsement for a Raider coaching staff that was too lazy to change a playbook that was written by the opposing coach

I'm not even exaggerating. Jon Ritchie was on the Artie Lange show talking about how Bill Callahan did nothing to prepare for that game and wouldn't even consider changing strategy

9 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Coughlin built the 90's Jags teams.  Dungy built the 90's Bucs teams.  Without David Tyree making the luckiest catch ever they have the same # of SB wins yet Coughlin is a lock first ballot HOFer while people here are calling Dungy "decent."

Lol

it was A LOT easier for Coughlin in Jax do to the NFL not wanting a repeat of the 1976 expansion teams.  they set it up for those teams to succeed quickly and jax went up then down w/ Tom, TB only went up w/ Dungy.  In Indy they went up, in NY w/ coughlin they went up, down, up then down again.

9 hours ago, HessStation said:

I agree Dungy seems like a man of decent morals and character but what's that have to do with being in the HOF. Secondly, just some perspective, a man I once worked with had two adopted children and he was Satan. He was a lazy, vile, self serving man who cost a lot of good people their careers. Not trying to draw a line back to Dungy or other good people who adopt on this but just making a point, I wouldn't be so quick to automatically bless all who adopt into Sainthood either. 

Fair enough but again, my first 3 words were i dont know ....thats answering the question of the OP who asked if he deserves the hof

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

it was A LOT easier for Coughlin in Jax do to the NFL not wanting a repeat of the 1976 expansion teams.  they set it up for those teams to succeed quickly and jax went up then down w/ Tom, TB only went up w/ Dungy.  In Indy they went up, in NY w/ coughlin they went up, down, up then down again.

They both belong in the Hall of Fame.  Most HOF voters lost credibility this past weekend however how do you not put Terrell Owens in first ballot.  That's embarrassing.

13 hours ago, drdetroit said:

They both belong in the Hall of Fame.  Most HOF voters lost credibility this past weekend however how do you not put Terrell Owens in first ballot.  That's embarrassing.

Coughlin was a very good coach, he does not belong in the HOF.  Too many down years, fired multiple times.

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Two Super Bowls, built the Jaguars, of of course he's a HOF'er

You are correct.  Coughlin makes a difference.  Both teams he was the HC for were successful. Dungy is a good HC, but I would rate Coughlin higher.  Again, Dungy made it to the Hall becuase he was the first African-American HC to win the Super Bowl. This is not a political comment on my part, they said it on TV Saturday night when he was introduced.

45 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Two Super Bowls, built the Jaguars, of of course he's a HOF'er

2 SBs, one at 10-6, one at 9-7.  clearly had SB talent but could only only win 10 and 9 games.

jax was EASY to build, the league made it simple for the expansion teams which was why both were in title games in year 2 except Carolina was 12-4, jax 9-7.

In 20 seasons only made playoffs 9 times, only won playoff games in 5 of those postseasons(so was one and done 4 times)

was FIRED in Jax after 3 straight losing seasons

was FIRED w/ NYG after 3 straight losing seasons

missed postseason 4 straight times TWICE and missed playoffs 6 of last 7 years as a HC.

very good HC, not a HOFer

23 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

You are correct.  Coughlin makes a difference.  Both teams he was the HC for were successful. Dungy is a good HC, but I would rate Coughlin higher.  Again, Dungy made it to the Hall becuase he was the first African-American HC to win the Super Bowl. This is not a political comment on my part, they said it on TV Saturday night when he was introduced.

I rate Coughlin ahead of Dungy but not by a lot.  Everyone keeps pointing to the two Super Bowls if it wasn't for a lucky catch by David Tyree he and Dungy both have 1.

On 2/9/2016 at 0:50 PM, nyjunc said:

it was shared by voters for many, many years until the PR campaign finally got Swann in.  he does not belong, the Hall is completely watered down.  it's for very good players instead of the best of the best.

Again your opinion.  I believe he belongs.  He was a great player on a great team.

7 minutes ago, peebag said:

Again your opinion.  I believe he belongs.  He was a great player on a great team.

we are all giving opinions, I think people are too swayed by the 2 SBs.  GREAT runs but he had SB talent and won 10 and 9 games- that's not a HOF coaching job in my opinion.  Dungy's teams were consistently at the top of the league, Coughlin's were not.

17 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we are all giving opinions, I think people are too swayed by the 2 SBs.  GREAT runs but he had SB talent and won 10 and 9 games- that's not a HOF coaching job in my opinion.  Dungy's teams were consistently at the top of the league, Coughlin's were not.

As usual the metrics of good old njunc sway in the wind to fit his particular argument today.  The flip flop over the importance of reg season success vs playoffs is changes from hour to hour rather than day to day to suit your always flimsy arguments.

Dungy playoff record 9-10 (1 SB), total NFL wins 139

Coughlin playoff record 12-7 (2SB), total NFL wins 170

Coughlin took a stinky expansion team to the playoffs 4 times in its fist 5 years.

Coughlin took over a 4-12 giants team and had them 4 straight playoffs starting his 2nd year there.

As if all of this was not enough, coughlin took two wild card teams to win the superbowl over dominant pats teams.  You fellate Rex and Sanchez over just getting to 2 afc title games daily and slough off a guy that actually finished the job.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

As usual the metrics of good old njunc sway in the wind to fit his particular argument today.  The flip flop over the importance of reg season success vs playoffs is changes from hour to hour rather than day to day to suit your always flimsy arguments.

Coughlin took a stinky expansion team to the playoffs 4 times in its fist 5 years.

Coughlin took over a 4-12 giants team and had them 4 straight playoffs starting his 2nd year there.

As if all of this was not enough, coughlin took two wild card teams to win the superbowl over dominant pats teams.  You fellate Rex and Sanchez over just getting to 2 afc title games daily and slough off a guy that actually finished the job.

Coughlin's candidacy my not enjoy the endorsement of the Congressional black caucus.

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

what Dungy did in TB was a million times more difficult than what Coughlin did in jax.  Dungy took over the worst franchise in the league and made the them SB contenders w/in a few years.  Coughlin had the easy job of making Jax into a good team as the league set it up for both them and Carolina which was why theywere BOTGH in title games in year 2.  The difference?  Coughlin, as usual, was 9-7 while Carolina was 12-4.

coughlin had 2 great postseason runs but again w/ SB championship talent could only go 10-6 and 9-7.  That is NOT greatness.

total NFL wins? how stupid is that?  Coughlin coached for 20 seasons, Dungy for only 13 and despite coaching 7 less seasons he had MORE playoff apps, more winning seasons, more double digit win seasons.

average season record:

Dungy 11-5

Coughlin 9-7

the 4-12 Giants were a year removed from double digit wins and a playoff spot and the GM made a move to acquire the #1 overall pick in the draft.  w/ all that they only won playoff games in TWO of his 12 seasons and missed the playoffs 7 of 12 seasons.  Missing 7 of 12 seasons is a HOFer?  are you serious?

Never thought of Dungy as a HOF coach, but looking back on what he did in Tampa was pretty remarkable. They were the worst franchise arguably in sports prior to his arrival. Add on he's the first AA coach to win a Super Bowl, kind of a no brainer I guess.

He was a tremendous motivator and incredibly successful head coach in the regular season with a 139-69 record. He had ten 10+ win seasons in 13 years as a HC and only 1 losing season (6-10 in his first year as a HC for TB). He won a Super Bowl and made it to three Conference Championship games with a 1-2 record and an overall 9-10 playoff record during his career. Although he had quite an impressive record in the regular season, his teams' playoff performances left a lot to be desired.

For me it's a tough call because not everyone already in the Hall of Fame has a picture perfect resume and Tony Dungy has definitely accomplished as much if not more than some of those who are already in. I'd personally lean slightly towards saying "Neigh," but I would not be shocked or disappointed if he made it in.    

2 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

He was a tremendous motivator and incredibly successful head coach in the regular season with a 139-69 record. He had ten 10+ win seasons in 13 years as a HC and only 1 losing season (6-10 in his first year as a HC for TB). He won a Super Bowl and made it to three Conference Championship games with a 1-2 record and an overall 9-10 playoff record during his career. Although he had quite an impressive record in the regular season, his teams' playoff performances left a lot to be desired.

For me it's a tough call because not everyone already in the Hall of Fame has a picture perfect resume and Tony Dungy has definitely accomplished as much if not more than some of those who are already in. I'd personally lean slightly towards saying "Neigh," but I would not be shocked or disappointed if he made it in.    

he has already made it.

Just now, nyjunc said:

he has already made it.

Haha ... I didn't realize that they named the class already. My post still applies as to what I think about him as a coach and I can't say that I am upset he made it. He had an impressive career for sure.

Archived