what needs to be addressed:

Special Teams

- Total overhaul of our kick/punt coverage units has to take place.  Younger
more athletic back end roster players have to be found

- Quigley MUST BE REPLACED, hopefully before training camp.  It's amazing that
he's been our punter for THREE YEARS and still regularly has 20 yard shanks

- Two returners must be found and they both should be able to return kicks
and punts.  They have to backup one another 

- Our units have to get to the middle of the pack (14-18) after last year's fiasco

Offense

- Running game must become more consistent.  This will require us bringing in
1-2 OT's and 2-3 durable/speedy RB's.  A better running game will take pressure
off Fitzpatrick and not put him into situations where he has to "carry" the
offense

- Secondary options must step up at WR & TE to give our offense more variety
and lessen the pressure on Marshall & Decker

Defense

- Increase the speed of our LB unit by bringing in at least 3 (1 ILB & 2 OLB)
new players

- Shift the attacking focus of our front seven from our DLine to our "new" LB
unit

- It's time for Milliner & McDougle to live up to their draft positions and
get on the field.  If they do they increase the talent/depth of our secondary.
If they can't it's time to move on

And all this must be done with 6 picks and limited cap space . So let's see.

Use the draft to address the OLber and ILber positions  early .  Use the mid round picks to address the RB position .  use the 5th and 7th round picks to get some special teams players..

Where do we get the OTs

I'm assuming RB can always be addressed in like the 3rd or 4th round.  We probably need a LB in the 1st round (according to your plan).  ST players can always be picked up later on.  We might have to trade down to acquire more picks.  Pretty sure we're missing picks this year.  Last year we had a lot of cap money and I think all of our picks.  This year we don't have either luxury.

Cuts-

Giacomini

Cro

Cumberland

Stacy

Geno

Signs-

Andre Smith

Aldon Smith

Haloti Ngata 

Resigns-

Fitz

Snacks

Henderson

Drafts-

Hunter Henry rd 1

Alex Collins rd 2

Cardale Jones rd 3

Steve Longa rd 4

Aaron Green rd 5

Tyler Ervin rd 6

Dwayne Washington rd 7

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, KRL said:

With all of the Super Bowl nonsense behind us, it's time to focus on our
off-season.

Goal

To improve by at least 2 games and challenge NE for the AFC East.  Here's

Special Teams

- Our units have to get to the middle of the pack (14-18) after last year's fiasco

Offense

offense

Defense

new players

unit

Looking back at this "wish list" from three months ago, I'm pretty pleased with what's been accomplished.

Let's see how it turns out on the field

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, KRL said:

With all of the Super Bowl nonsense behind us, it's time to focus on our
off-season.

Goal

To improve by at least 2 games and challenge NE for the AFC East.  Here's

Special Teams

Offense

offense

Defense

new players

unit

To begin with, I think you were asking for too much change. That much change in one offseason is a nearly impossible task. Besides, I don't believe that much change was required to make the Jets a better, more competitive team.

But now that the draft is over with, I can see very clearly that they pretty much missed on every single area. Nothing was improved. Mac just sought to replace what was walking out the door. It's as if Mac is content to be 10-6 every year. The fact is, this team won't even sniff 10 wins this season. More like about 6.

What did he add maybe a few ST players? The entire unit needed to be overhauled based on last years abysmal performance.

They did NOTHING to increase the talent among the starting OL. They actually picked one guy in the 5th round that will surely need time to develop and even then he's just depth. Total FAIL.

They brought in a speedy LB for sure but I can't see how he'll help? How often will he be able to shed blocks from 325 pound men?

How about a TE? Pretty much everyone knew that was a major need for this team. Mac completely ignored it. What TE on this current roster is going to step up and start catching passes? Total FAIL.

Milliner and McDougle were never going to live up to their draft status. They are bums and everyone knows it. That was an unrealistic expectation. The Jets are better off without them on the team.

All in all, in regards to the big offseason picture, this offseason was a total failure. They did nothing to improve the roster, if anything they got worse in a lot of areas. All said, even with Fitz, this is a 5 or 6 win team at very best.

45 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

To begin with, I think you were asking for too much change. That much change in one offseason is a nearly impossible task. Besides, I don't believe that much change was required to make the Jets a better, more competitive team.

But now that the draft is over with, I can see very clearly that they pretty much missed on every single area. Nothing was improved. Mac just sought to replace what was walking out the door. It's as if Mac is content to be 10-6 every year. The fact is, this team won't even sniff 10 wins this season. More like about 6.

What did he add maybe a few ST players? The entire unit needed to be overhauled based on last years abysmal performance.

They did NOTHING to increase the talent among the starting OL. They actually picked one guy in the 5th round that will surely need time to develop and even then he's just depth. Total FAIL.

They brought in a speedy LB for sure but I can't see how he'll help? How often will he be able to shed blocks from 325 pound men?

How about a TE? Pretty much everyone knew that was a major need for this team. Mac completely ignored it. What TE on this current roster is going to step up and start catching passes? Total FAIL.

Milliner and McDougle were never going to live up to their draft status. They are bums and everyone knows it. That was an unrealistic expectation. The Jets are better off without them on the team.

All in all, in regards to the big offseason picture, this offseason was a total failure. They did nothing to improve the roster, if anything they got worse in a lot of areas. All said, even with Fitz, this is a 5 or 6 win team at very best.

WHAT?  MaineJet, dude, what are you talking about.  They did a great job.  This was NEVER going to be done in one season.  This team needed three years to rebuild, thanks to 3-4 horrendous drafts.  They have done well so far in two seasons.  Not sure what you expect.  He picked up some solid guys in draft and F/A with good Special teams ability, and we have 2 new punters and 2 new kickers.  That is a MAJOR overhaul.

We drafted two LB's and brought in some in F/A....I think it was 5 in total.

Gailey does not use the TE, and with Amaro coming back, I am sure that was all he needed for now.

This was NEVER anything more than a three year fix.  We are in season two of it.  Last year's fluke season did nothing more than raise unrealistic expectations.  He has drafted well in the first three rounds for two seasons....he has got two QB's to grow, and will keep drafting them until he finds one.  We are younger and faster at LB now, and the OL next year will get revamped.  You can only do so much each season.

On February 7, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Tinstar said:

And all this must be done with 6 picks and limited cap space . So let's see.

Use the draft to address the OLber and ILber positions  early .  Use the mid round picks to address the RB position .  use the 5th and 7th round picks to get some special teams players..

Where do we get the OTs

Ah, you almost hit the nail on the head 

It is impossible for a team in the Jets' position to get everything done in one shot.  Both LB's will contribute this season and the D has a shot at being much more dynamic as a result.  There is ample depth in the secondary. The Quigly problem was specifically addressed.  The FO has followed through on their desire to get faster everywhere on the field.  Judicious FA signings/trades at positions of need with limited resources were on target. All in all, the team has a good chance at improving in 2016, but most of all they did a good job of setting the table for 2017 when we jettison a load dead weight and contracts.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

WHAT?  MaineJet, dude, what are you talking about.  They did a great job.  This was NEVER going to be done in one season.  This team needed three years to rebuild, thanks to 3-4 horrendous drafts.  They have done well so far in two seasons.  Not sure what you expect.  He picked up some solid guys in draft and F/A with good Special teams ability, and we have 2 new punters and 2 new kickers.  That is a MAJOR overhaul.

We drafted two LB's and brought in some in F/A....I think it was 5 in total.

Gailey does not use the TE, and with Amaro coming back, I am sure that was all he needed for now.

This was NEVER anything more than a three year fix.  We are in season two of it.  Last year's fluke season did nothing more than raise unrealistic expectations.  He has drafted well in the first three rounds for two seasons....he has got two QB's to grow, and will keep drafting them until he finds one.  We are younger and faster at LB now, and the OL next year will get revamped.  You can only do so much each season.

Sure, he made the team better going into last season. But looking at this offseason and only this offseason, this team very clearly went backward. They used FA to put Band Aids on players walking out the door. I don't believe anyone thinks Steve McLendon is as good a player as Snacks was. Due to the injury history, I can't see Ryan Clady being as good a player as Brick was. He might be better but that's only if he can stay healthy.

But like I said, when considering their MUCH harder schedule and their limited offense, this is a 5 or 6 win team. Now, if you're looking down the road and saying, "They will be a much better team down the road as a result of this offseason?" Well, that could be debated.

But this season I see a team that only beats one winning team per season having a bonafide playoff team schedule. I also see a team that did NOT improve during the offseason. Certainly not at OL. Certainly not at TE. I also very much disagree with the idea that Gailey never uses the TE. If he had one, he would use it. He would use it more specifically to beat cover 2. MANY teams will use cover 2 against us and without a TE to keep them honest our offense will get choked out.

So I guess you are just far more optimistic than I am. But at least this season, this team will flounder.

3 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Yes the running back and LT we got in the off season. Hopefully one of the many we've drafted comes through...Qvale?

Otherwise spot on. 

Aren't the jets really high on Qvale? Hope he comes through

I think other than QB, the Jet team is as good or better than 3/4 of the league. Top 5 Dline, top 10 secondary, top 5 receiver group, top 13 Oline if Clady stays healthy (Breno gets cut if Qvale proves worthy), Mangold is still a pro bowler. Top 10 RBs with Forte/Powell/Robinson.

MaineJet is the most pessimistic Jet fan on this site. But, Maines cloudy & Gray like 50% of the year so the place is filled with Eyores suffering from SAD.

On February 7, 2016 at 0:03 PM, Integrity28 said:

The running game was non-existent by the end of the season. We need a complete positional overhaul. The only one I'd keep is Bilal because he does his job, but the rest can go.

A very good point. While, I recognize Fitz's limitations and understand he is not the franchise QB for us long term and don't wish to spend big money on him....if that running game kept up the second half of the season, the Jets would have made the playoffs and then some.

The whole offseason revolves around Fitz coming back.  If he doesn't, it's a rebuilding year and I'd rather let Hackenberg/Petty have a shot than inevitably fail with Geno.

If he does come back, we have to hope the addition of Matt Forte and return of Amaro can be enough to take this offense to the next level.

Defensively, they replaced Snacks with McLendon, but they needed to get faster and it remains to be seen whether they've done it enough, despite drafting Lee.  Lee is supposed to be a backup ILB so there's no guarantee that he'll get many reps.  If Mo is back, Sheldon will probably play OLB again and we will rely on Mauldin on the other side as a starter.  As the coaches have said, a lot will depend on Mauldin improving in year 2.   Catapano is in the mix too.  There's also the new guy they drafted, who figures to be serviceable but probably won't light it up in year 1.

The pass rush still looks "meh."  I actually think they should try to teach Lee some pass rush moves and see how good an edge rusher he could be.  Being a high school QB he clearly is an intelligent and versatile guy, with his quickness why not try to make him into the next Von Miller?

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I think other than QB, the Jet team is as good or better than 3/4 of the league. Top 5 Dline, top 10 secondary, top 5 receiver group, top 13 Oline if Clady stays healthy (Breno gets cut if Qvale proves worthy), Mangold is still a pro bowler. Top 10 RBs with Forte/Powell/Robinson.

MaineJet is the most pessimistic Jet fan on this site. But, Maines cloudy & Gray like 50% of the year so the place is filled with Eyores suffering from SAD.

But how about the failure to get a TE? Isn't that mission critical? Prognosis negative.  :lol:

Archived