Calvin Pryor ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- New York Jets safety Calvin Pryor was fined $25,000 by the NFL for hitting Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin above the neck/shoulder area in Week 4. On Wednesday, Pryor said he will appeal the fine because he believes the amount is excessive for a first-time offender."I don't know if it was a clean hit or not, but I don't think it was worth $25,000," Pryor said.Pryor was penalized for unnecessary roughness on the play -- a 37-yard reception in the Jets' 27-17 loss to the Seahawks on Sunday. Baldwin got up slowly but finished the game.

Explaining what happened, Pryor said he turned late and tried to lower his target, but he "was already falling, so it was kind of hard. It was a bang-bang play."According to the league's fine schedule, a first-time offender can be fined $24,309 for a hit on a defenseless player.Pryor has a reputation as a fierce hitter, but he disputed the notion that he's a cheap-shot artist."I'm a clean hitter," he said. "I never got flagged for any hit. This is my first one, dating back to high school, college, anything. I was kind of surprised (by the fine), but it is what it is."

The fine marked Pryor's first career penalty, according to NFL stats. He entered the league as a first-round pick in 2014.Asked what he believes would be a fair fine amount, he said: "Zero. I'm thinking about my daughter, my family and the [things] I could do with $25,000. I'll see what they say and keep playing football."

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17723967/calvin-pryor-new-york-jets-appeal-25k-fine-levied-high-hit-wide-receiver

— The Jets' secondary is developing a reputation a quarter of the way through this season. It's just, well, not the one they want.In four games, the team has allowed 16 passes of 20-plus yards. Those plays have accounted for 634 of the Jets' 1,421 total yards allowed this season — 44.6 percent. As a secondary, they have just two interceptions. 

Teams don't fear the backend any longer. And now, the Jets are dealing with the repercussions. 

"We need to pick it up," safety Calvin Pryor said on Wednesday. "There is a target on our backs."

Outside of Ryan Fitzpatrick's interception frenzy, the decline of the secondary has been one of the more puzzling aspects of the Jets' struggles in 2016. Despite the fact every starter but Antonio Cromartie is back, the unit has resembled little of the one that was so good a season ago. 

Every quarterback that has faced the Jets has finished with a rating over 100. Every quarterback has thrown at least one touchdown. Each week, a communication breakdown has led to a big play and points. "It's very surprising," said Pryor, who also admitted he needs to play better. "It's a new season, so things tend to happen. We have to get back to the basics, have fun, enjoy one another and get back on the same page. Today was a new start to everyone getting confidence back because it has been a rough few weeks.

"We have to find a way to click together, make plays on the ball ... As a defense, we're not discouraged. We believe in one another. Today, communication was better, and everyone was on the same page."

For the Jets' sake, Pryor's assessment of an improved unit in practice best be accurate. The team faces an awfully tough challenge this Sunday in the Pittsburgh Steelers.Led by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and receiver Antonio Brown, the Steelers are averaging 27 points per game. Brown, who's regarded by many as the best receiver in the NFL, has already caught 28 passes for 369 yards and four touchdowns. 

"He's very challenging, man," Pryor said "He can do it all. He gets the ball a lot— a ton. I think that's what makes him one of the best. He's a player that, you know, is a tough matchup for anybody. We want to contain him the best we can."And the Jets may have to do that without Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis. 

Against the Seahawks last week, Revis suffered a hamstring injury. While an MRI didn't reveal any significant damage, he didn't practice on Wednesday, and his status for Sunday seems in doubt.If Revis doesn't play, the Jets would take the field with a three-cornerback set of rookie Juston Burris, Buster Skrine and Marcus Williams. 

Still, Pryor is confidence the Jets can get the job done."We know he's going to get the ball," Pryor said. "We just need to limit him as best as we can."

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/calvin_pryor_says_jets_secondary_a_target_for_oppo.html#incart_river_index

22 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Why is he regressing? 

Misconception.  He hasn't regressed.  He stunk the whole time but only a select few of us noticed.  I can go back and show my posts explaining why.  Most were blinded by a few tackles behind the LOS and a couple of forced fumbles... thus ignoring me as a "hater." Pryor is terrible.

A good example: Here is my post in a thread about how "good" Pryor looks from last year....

Posted October 2, 2015 (edited) ·

I am still here... and still think Pryor sucks.  Forcing a fumble or two certainly helps his case but this "burn percentage" from Brandt is misleading and crap.

The eyeball test is what matters.   And mine watched him get smoked deep by a slow Browns TE and badly blow an assignment to cover Ryan Matthews for what should have both been  long TDs.

Missed tackles and more bad angles.  Stop being sheep and think/watch for yourselves.

Brandin Cooks should have been the selection.

35 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Misconception.  He hasn't regressed.  He stunk the whole time but only a select few of us noticed.  I can go back and show my posts explaining why.  Most were blinded by a few tackles behind the LOS and a couple of forced fumbles... thus ignoring me as a "hater." Pryor is terrible.

I seem  to recall some talk in camp that he'd come in really elevating his game.  Guess those reports were hype.  Every off season I try to remind myself not to listen too much to the camp reports.

As for you, you have a right to be acknowledged.  Pryor quite simply sucks.  He's perhaps the main reason I don't buy this communication bs. 

— Calvin Pryor is one of the more prideful players in the Jets locker room. No one talks a better game than he on any day of the week.Which is why the Jets start to this season doesn't sit all that well with the former first-round pick. Through five games, the team is 1-4, and the struggles in the secondary are a big reason why. 

Every quarterback to play the Jets has finished with a rating over 100. The unit has allowed more than 20 points in each game. Pryor and Co. have allowed eight plays of 40-plus yards this season — the most in theNFL

How can the Jets turn things around? That was one of a few things Pryor talked to NJ Advance Media about in this week's Q&A :  

QUESTION: You've started watching the film, what are your early thoughts on the Cardinals?

PRYOR: They're a solid team. Kind of similar to last week. A lot of speedy receivers. Like to get down the field. A back who can be a receiver as well. David Johnson is like [Steelers running back] Le'Veon Bell. It's similar to what we faced last week. We just need to be prepared for it.

QUESTION: Todd Bowles said the issue with the secondary is that there isn't one issue. Each week, it's been another problem different from the week before. Is that frustrating to fix one thing, then have another issue pop up?

PRYOR: We correct one thing, then something else pops up. It's like, when is this going to stop? Each week, we improve. We're not even close to where we want to be. But we can improve. We have a lot of moving parts in the secondary with Darrelle Revis out. We just need to get on the same page and put together a complete game.

QUESTION: How have you been able to keep this confidence level so high with these early-season struggles and doubters forming all over?

PRYOR: I've heard it all. This right here? It's nothing. It doesn't even bother me.

QUESTION: As such a prideful guy, has it been embarrassing to see the stats that have been put up against the defense?

PRYOR: It's not so much embarrassing. We're facing damn-good quarterbacks. There's no mistake about it. We're playing guys that don't make mistakes. They don't turn it over. But it's so much of us beating ourselves is what's frustrating us. We're blowing coverages and letting guys get behind us. Miscommunication on our part in the secondary. It's mainly frustrating to us because we're not on the same page despite the fact we practice it all week. Things go right in practice, then for some reason on the field, we don't do the right thing.

QUESTION: Do you know why that tends to happen?

PRYOR: I have no idea, honestly. It's something we have to get fixed.

QUESTION: Do you think you're running out of time to get it fixed?

PRYOR: Not at all. Just like we went on a streak of losing, we went on a streak of winning. Kansas City is a prime example. They went 1-5 last year. They didn't panic. They kept their head down. They battled through some things. They knew there was going to be adversity. At the same time, when things start going your way and in the right direction, things begin to feel much sweeter. You really start to appreciate things.

QUESTION: Does the defense feel this is a situation where you need just one play, one game to turn it around?

PRYOR: All it takes is for something small to spark the fire. Then we can take off. Whether it's a turnover, score on defense, or a simple win. We need a gut-wrenching fight to go out there and pull it out. All we need is something positive, guys to get on board, and take off and see where things go.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/calvin_pryor_jets_4_downs_question_answer.html#incart_river_index

• 2 weeks later...

— Two weeks ago, a somber Calvin Pryor sat near his locker. He had no answer for Jets' secondary miscues, defensive meltdowns, or abundance of big plays allowed. 

All he knew was that he and his teammates were in a funk. And to get out of it, they needed one impact play

In the Jets' 24-16 victory Sunday over the Ravens, they finally got it in the form of a Buster Skrine interception. The result?

Arguably the best defensive performance by the team in a near calendar year.

"About damn time," Pryor said following the game with a smile. 

After allowing 16 points and 203 yards of offense in the first half, Skrine's third-quarter interception ignited the defense. Baltimore was held to just 42 yards of offense in the second half, didn't score a single point, and had just one first down heading into their final drive with the game already decided.The Jets' defense finished Sunday allowing a season-low in yards allowed (245), a franchise-low in rushing yards (6), and forced nearly as many turnovers against Baltimore (2) as they had Weeks 1-6 (3). 

"We got that swagger back, man," Pryor said. "We got that one turnover, then that sparked everything ... I felt like that was the turning point of the game. When we got that turnover, a lot of guys got that juice flowing, confidence level going. That's why we were able to go out there and play great in the second half. 

"We were locked in. We were having fun. Like I said, we got that swagger back."

Aiding the defense in the third and fourth quarters, of course, was the fact their offense had actually given them a lead. The Ravens were then forced to forget the run for the pass, which set up third-and-long situations.And those third-and-long situations meant quarterback Joe Flacco needed to hold the ball a second longer to allow his receivers to reach the first-down markers. That gave the Jets' defensive line time to get to him. 

The front pressured Flacco four times. While they didn't necessarily bring him down (just one official sack), the constant rush disrupted timing. Flacco finished 24 of 44 for 248 yards with two interceptions and no touchdowns. He had a quarterback rating of 54."I'm not going to say we made a statement," defensive end Leonard Williams said. "We played a complete four quarters of defense for the first time, I think. The energy, you could just feel it in everybody.

"We were excited to go on the field when the offense turned the ball over. We were excited to go out there, instead of saying, 'Damn, we've got to go back out there one more time.' Everybody was excited."

Now that the defense has gotten the monkey off their backs, the unit believes they're ready to thrive, and the schedule makers have given them a helping hand.With that brutal six-game stretch to start the season now a thing of the past, the Jets face cakewalk opponents the rest of the way. Up next? The Browns. After that? The Dolphins. Then? The Rams. Oh, the Jets also have battles against the Colts and 49ers in the coming weeks. 

"Once you break down the schedule, it looks pretty different," cornerback Darrelle Revis said. "It looks like we have a window there where we can definitely win games and definitely be in a good position."That's something we know that we can get to to help ourselves. We just have to put in the work and the time."

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/calvin_pryor_on_jets_defensive_turnaround_about_da.html#incart_river_index

1 minute ago, kelly said:

"We were excited to go on the field when the offense turned the ball over. We were excited to go out there, instead of saying, 'Damn, we've got to go back out there one more time.' Everybody was excited."

There is so much layered problem in this statement. One, that they would ever collectively think/say the bold. Two, that the offense routinely put them in that position, and they acted like victims, not like the heart and soul of the team (which was built to be a defensive monster). Three, that they have to wait for a play to happen to provide "juice", and cannot self-generate the right energy/vibe. 

Troubling.

• 1 month later...

-- The Jets on Sunday came back to beat a terrible team. 

You can't ignore that reality of the Jets' 23-17 overtime win at the 49ers, who are now 1-12 and have lost 12 straight games. 

But say this for the 4-9 Jets, at least : They didn't quit on coach Todd Bowles.

After getting hammered 41-10 on Monday night by the Colts, the Jets found themselves down 17-3 at halftime Sunday. A second half surge, including an 11-0 fourth quarter, put the Jets over the top against the 49ers.It probably would've been easy for the Jets, losers of four straight, to quit at halftime Sunday. And that would not have reflected well on Bowles -- or his job security.

Why didn't the Jets fold it up at halftime Sunday, in this lost season?

"We can't, man," strong safety Calvin Pryor said. "We've talked about being a top 10 defense closing out the end of the season." 

The Jets allowed 279 yards and 17 points in the first half. After halftime, they allowed 85 yards and zero points."That just shows the amount of character we have in this locker room," Pryor said. "Guys are going to continue to fight."Though the Jets aren't going to make the playoffs, they played with pride in the second half Sunday, which could go a long way toward Bowles keeping his job. The Jets trailed 14-0 after the first quarter, during which the 49ers gained 193 yards. If that brutal showing by Bowles' defense kept up, his seat would've gotten hotter.

"In situations like this, you want to see guys finish strong," wide receiver Brandon Marshall said. "You want to see guys be the people that they're supposed to be, and be the guys that we know that they are."Said Pryor: "The season hasn't gone the way we've wanted, but that still doesn't give us a right to not go out there and fight. We were angry [at halftime], so we had to go do something about it. And we did." 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/12/calvin_pryor_says_angry_jets_showed_character_with.html#incart_river_index

• 2 weeks later...

-- Darrelle Revis has been the lightning rod for the New York Jets' underachieving secondary, drawing the criticism while his fellow defensive backs have gone relatively unscathed.

Not anymore.

Expected to have a breakout season, safety Calvin Pryor has been such a disappointment that his future with the team no longer is secure. One league source said he wouldn't be surprised if the Jets try to trade the 2014 first-round selection in the offseason, hoping to recoup a draft pick before they lose him for nothing after the 2017 season.

The Jets can retain Pryor's rights through 2018, but they'd have to exercise his fifth-year option by next May. His salary would jump to at least $5.7 million in '18 (based on the current amount for a safety on a fifth-year option) -- a huge increase from his $1.6 million salary for 2017. In other words, they may decline the option.

Drafted by the previous regime, Pryor hasn't panned out in head coach Todd Bowles' defensive system. He's not making plays (no interceptions, no sacks, one forced fumble) and he takes poor angles in space, opening the gate for big pass plays. It happened twice in Saturday's loss to the Miami Dolphins.Remember when former Jets coach Rex Ryan compared Pryor to Jack Tatum? It was a classic case of Ryan hyperbole. Pryor does make an occasional blow-up hit, living up to his "Louisville Slugger" nickname from college, but he hasn't demonstrated the necessary skill set to be an effective two-way safety. He has only two interceptions in 42 games, which is rather mind-boggling for an every-down safety in today's NFL.

"He's had some good games, he's had some not-so-good ball games," said Bowles, giving a tepid but honest evaluation.

Asked if Pryor has made strides, Bowles said, "From an experience standpoint, mentally, yes. Physically, [he's] out of position at times. There are some things that he's still growing on as a player, which is getting better, but he's making some strides."Defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers acknowledged that Pryor got off to a slow start but has "steadied out." That's a kind way of saying he's not stinking as much as he did early in the year.

This was supposed to be Pryor's year. After complaining about his role in Ryan's system, he showed flashes last season when he got a chance to play closer to the line as a strong safety, his natural position. Previously, he was used as a free safety, roaming the deep middle -- not his forte. This year he's back to playing mostly free safety.Maybe that explains why the usually affable Pryor has been in a sour mood around the media. On Thursday, he was hesitant to discuss his individual performance. But asked if he's satisfied with his progress after three years, he said, "I'm in a comfortable place."

He shouldn't be, because he's no longer viewed as a building-block player. His scholarship has expired. If Pryor survives the offseason, it'll be because the Jets can't get rid of everybody in the secondary.

Pryor doesn't care about the outside perception of him.

"I ain't got nothing to prove to the fans," he said. "It's all about me. I have to look at myself in the mirror. That's all I'm worried about."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65831/disappointing-jets-safety-calvin-pryor-could-be-trade-bait-in-offseason

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, rangerous said:

pryor who?  the guy could only do one thing and even couldn't get that right.

The Louisville Slugger; good for a 15 yard penalty on a regular basis. Again this franchise has criminally overvalued defense forever. It's like they for they know and can see  that by the end of the season their offense sucked something awful .  And then until the draft proceed to talk themselves into Milliner, Wilson, Pryor. Adams may be a good safety, BUT HE'S A SAFETY FOR F__'S SAKE. 

On 17 November 2017 at 2:25 PM, Bugg said:

The Louisville Slugger; good for a 15 yard penalty on a regular basis. Again this franchise has criminally overvalued defense forever. It's like they for they know and can see  that by the end of the season their offense sucked something awful .  And then until the draft proceed to talk themselves into Milliner, Wilson, Pryor. Adams may be a good safety, BUT HE'S A SAFETY FOR F__'S SAKE. 

What's worse we keep skipping franchise QB's for Strong Safety's

Prior > Carr

Adams > Watson  

So Jetsy.

Archived