This year proved you can win w/ a subpar QB

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The more I watch the NFL the more I feel there is no 'formula' to winning.  Teams win with offense, teams win with defense teams win with hof Qb's teams win with past it or hold the fort QB's.

- Be healthy

- Get hot at the right time

- Generate turnovers and do not turn it over

(It also really helps to have that good reg season record so you can play one less game or get that one home filed game you need in the playoffs.)

You argument does not hold up to even cursory analysis/

4 hours ago, Larz said:

they key is not having a dominant run defense, but having a scary pass rush

the jets have been building an awesome 1945 era defense, that has to change

WRONG, stopping the run is equally important to stopping the run because I believe so. My gut felt and my eyes saw that the Panthers couldnt run yesterday, what does that tell you? 

28 minutes ago, The Troll said:

No, I've heard of the scapegoat for Herman Edwards' and Chad Pennington's utter failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does his job they go to the AFC championship, and probably the super bowl.  Brien let down Chad, Herm too, really.

23 minutes ago, gEYno said:

He does his job they go to the AFC championship, and probably the super bowl.  Brien let down Chad, Herm too, really.

This is a crazy argument. The fact is, Chad, and the Jets offense scored a grand total of 3 points in that game. THREE. Chad always had problems with top defenses. In fact, he was owned most of the time and the Pittsburgh playoff game was no exception. So even if they had gotten by Pittsburgh living on Big Ben's mistakes and a special teams blunder, they would have been owned in the AFC Championship. They simply were not good enough.

11 hours ago, Mainejet said:

This is a crazy argument. The fact is, Chad, and the Jets offense scored a grand total of 3 points in that game. THREE. Chad always had problems with top defenses. In fact, he was owned most of the time and the Pittsburgh playoff game was no exception. So even if they had gotten by Pittsburgh living on Big Ben's mistakes and a special teams blunder, they would have been owned in the AFC Championship. They simply were not good enough.

They were good enough to be in position to win. #justsaying

Just now, southparkcpa said:

No thanks to CHAD.  The Colts 41-0 game put us all in a position we thought we had a winner. Well, we didnt.  He was unstable and hurt half his career. never won more than 10 games with us.  

And that was all blamed on him... Unfairly.  He was going up against Tom Brady and with not even half the defense.  Please.  Give Chad that defense and Bill Bellicheck and maybe even a dash of spygate, we'd be talking hall of fame.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

And that was all blamed on him... Unfairly.  He was going up against Tom Brady and with not even half the defense.  Please.  Give Chad that defense and Bill Bellicheck and maybe even a dash of spygate, we'd be talking hall of fame.

I just spit out my coffee. HOF players arent injured 50 percent of their career.

11 hours ago, The Troll said:

Jets offensive points in that game:

Doug Brien - 3

Chad Pennington- 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FGs don't get credited to the offense? who got him in FG range? and do we forget Chad was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder against the top ranked D on the road?

13 hours ago, gEYno said:

I still fully blame Herm Edwards.  The very week before Marty 'no balls' Schottenheimer pulled the same stunt.  The very moment they were within the outer range of their ace FG kicker he layed on the ball and was content with a relatively long FG after they had steam rolled.  Kaeding missed and we ended up winning the game.  so a week later we are steam rolling down the filed and Herm does the same thing, the collar gets tight lets try a 40 plus yarder because we are fraid to either try and score or get closer.  Then Brien missed.

coaches with no balls or killer instinct get what they deserve, one reason that shotty senior always failed after some great reg seasons.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I still fully blame Herm Edwards.  The very week before Marty 'no balls' Schottenheimer pulled the same stunt.  The very moment they were within the outer range of their ace FG kicker he layed on the ball and was content with a relatively long FG after they had steam rolled.  Kaeding missed and we ended up winning the game.  so a week later we are steam rolling down the filed and Herm does the same thing, the collar gets tight lets try a 40 plus yarder because we are fraid to either try and score or get closer.  Then Brien missed.

coaches with no balls or killer instinct get what they deserve, one reason that shotty senior always failed after some great reg seasons.

Kicker has to make the kick.  he missed a 47 yarder moments earlier by inches, we got 4 yards closer.  he has to make it, no excuses.

By the way, a coach w/ no balls just won the SB. 

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How'd you feel about Tom Coughlin's killer instinct that gave us the opportunity to get back in the game this year when they went for it on 4th down.  He kicks the FG there, we are pretty much finished.  Killer instinct is great until we turn the ball over or take a sack or whatever.  He's paid to make those kicks.  Herm was playing the percentages and relying on his guy.  Sucks that trust and faith in the kicker was Chad and Herm's undoing.

30 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I'm loving EY in this thread.  LMAO.

So you agree that we could have won a Superbowl (or MORE!) with Chad OR Sanchez.  SOJ blew it for these guys.  You're a smart fan, not one of these morons who listens to the media for their opinions!

23 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's the exception not the rule but we're a lot closer to being a team built like Denver than a team built around a star QB.  If we draft Jaylon Smith, and he fully recovers, we might have a shot at being what Denver was this year.

You always could win without a great QB. This isn't about absolutes, it's about opportunity.

The best way to consistently makes the playoffs = Top tier QB

Obviously the only way to win a SB is to make the playoffs

The more opportunities you have in the playoffs, the better the chance of winning one.

Not to mention that having a great QB helps you win games in the playoffs

This changes little, in fact Denver was so close to not even making the SB,

1) If Idiot Belichick takes the ball against the Jets, they play the AFCC in NE and likely lose 

2) If Gostkowski doesn't miss the XP NE likely wins the AFCC (NE had all momentum)

Finally Denvers offense did everything in it's power to give that game up, Cam Newton and company were simply feeling more charitable. Carolina was who we thought they were all along. Pretenders. Seattle would've thrashed Denver again

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

How'd you feel about Tom Coughlin's killer instinct that gave us the opportunity to get back in the game this year when they went for it on 4th down.  He kicks the FG there, we are pretty much finished.  Killer instinct is great until we turn the ball over or take a sack or whatever.  He's paid to make those kicks.  Herm was playing the percentages and relying on his guy.  Sucks that trust and faith in the kicker was Chad and Herm's undoing.

Who said anything about going for it on 4th down?  Team a is just steamrolling the ball down the filed against team B.  Team A gets within the outer ranger of their kickers fg range and suddenly go into lay down mode the guy misses the kick.  As I said this is especially relevant when the very week before your team won soley because the other coach lost his nerve.  It's a weak minded cop put move to put it all on your fg kicker rather than trying to make the kick as easy as possible.  Todays comfort range of 50 yards for kickers is not the same as the range for kickers at that time.

You play...tooooo win .....the game.

Agreed

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Who said anything about going for it on 4th down?  Team a is just steamrolling the ball down the filed against team B.  Team A gets within the outer ranger of their kickers fg range and suddenly go into lay down mode the guy misses the kick.  As I said this is especially relevant when the very week before your team won soley because the other coach lost his nerve.  It's a weak minded cop put move to put it all on your fg kicker rather than trying to make the kick as easy as possible.  Todays comfort range of 50 yards for kickers is not the same as the range for kickers at that time.

You play...tooooo win .....the game.

You pay your kicker to make these kicks.  Drives stall.  He had two shots at it and blew it.  How anyone can let this guy off the hook is beyond me.  He was put in a position to win it for the Jets.  He blew it.  Then, we drafted another kicker in the 2nd round because of it.  SOJ x eleventy billion.

Prone to injury because we had guys like Adrian Clarke, who couldn't block you on facebook, let alone a football field, planning offensive line.

Stop it, all QB's r gonna get hit, Even Tom Brady got beat the hell up this year, A QB has to be able to get up and keep going

Archived