This year proved you can win w/ a subpar QB

TuscanyTile2

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Hey was a young Joe Montana.  Too bad the Jets failed him.  Oh, what could have been.  Surprised he's not a HC or at least an OC by now.

I never got into too many Pennington debates on these boards so can't tell but I'm guessing sarcasm. Whatever though, if you weren't excited during '02 you were a fat nerd.  

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'm talking mostly about '02 when he took over for Vinny. Pretty sure he was already hurt before the '03 season even started and tried to play through the hand set back midway through. '04 they were 5-0 then he blew his rotator and that was it. Yeah man, I was in love in '02. I literally thought he was gonna be the guy who brought them a few Super Bowls. It was the most excited I'd ever been as a Jet fan. And then there was that brief moment in time in the beginning of '04.  You can talk sh*t all you want, he never had a cannon but the rainbows only really started after the rotator cuff went. I never felt anything like that with Sanchez whom I basically sat on the 'hopeful' fence with the first three years.  

Romanowski put the skids on Pennington's career in the 02 playoffs.

24 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I never got into too many Pennington debates on these boards so can't tell but I'm guessing sarcasm. Whatever though, if you weren't excited during '02 you were a fat nerd.  

That's just it; everyone was high on Chad after '02 and high on Sanchez after '09 -'10.

Now everyone's high on Fitz but the diff is Chad and Mark were just beginning, Fitz was dumped by five teams and just recently broke .500 for the first time as a starter.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

I wish they made motivational posters with this on it.

You mean on a "how to dislocate a shoulder" poster. 

Strange he took one snap two days later vs Titans and his shoulder fell out.

"Pennington had undergone intensive rehabilitation and was convinced that his shoulder was stronger than ever. He was determined to prove that he could be a successful starter again."

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You seem to not remember defenders stuffing the box because they KNEW he couldnt throw it more than 20-25 yards.

He is an average QB, with above average brains and below average durability .  

remember when he threw that 50 yard bomb w/ a torn rotator cuff at SD in the 2004 playoffs?  that's longer than 20-25 yards?

santana_moss.jpg

I love when myths get spread and people start to believe them.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

remember when he threw that 50 yard bomb w/ a torn rotator cuff at SD in the 2004 playoffs?  that's longer than 20-25 yards?

santana_moss.jpg

to be followed by a great offensive  performance the next week. Just like in 2002, follows a big  41-0 win with a let down. He wont even make the Jets ring of honor IMO.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

to be followed by a great offensive  performance the next week. Just like in 2002, follows a big  41-0 win with a let down. He wont even make the Jets ring of honor IMO.

the opponent has nothing to do w/ that?  he faced the AFC champs in 2002 and the #1 D of a 15-1 team in 2004 and we had chances in both games to win. 

he probably doesn't make the ROH only b/c he didn't play long enough but when he was healthy we made the playoffs(and no Jets QB has led us there more).  his issues were always about durability, he just didn't have the body to withstand the punishment of NFL football.

25 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You seem to not remember defenders stuffing the box because they KNEW he couldnt throw it more than 20-25 yards.

He is an average QB, with above average brains and below average durability .  

More like, they knew they could collapse our LOS, so they did that, with ease.

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

santana_moss.jpg

I love it when it only takes one play... one jpeg... to dismantle someone's entire argument.

20 minutes ago, jetrider said:

You mean on a "how to dislocate a shoulder" poster. 

Strange he took one snap two days later vs Titans and his shoulder fell out.

"Pennington had undergone intensive rehabilitation and was convinced that his shoulder was stronger than ever. He was determined to prove that he could be a successful starter again."

I've never heard of a "how to dislocate a shoulder" poster... We they up in your medical school classroom, Doctor?

23 hours ago, nyjunc said:

1. he played many more games and the majority of his games in domes w/ elite talent to throw to.

2. ok

3. who cares?

5. who cares?

6. more games, more weapons, half his games in domes.

7. see #6

8. who cares?

9. who cares?

10. Brady has more yds passing the playoffs

11. Brady ha more 300+ yd games in postseason

16. Thanks to defense.  Brady had the less talented team every game.

Brady led O to 20.6 PPG, manning led his O's to 20.2

17. putting up inflated #s in weak division w/ elite talent around him in domes

18. played many more games(293 to 254) yet Brady is only 6 games back and will easily break that record next year

19. 22 to 14- a HUGE gap

21-23 haha

I guess we can put an HGH category?

Manning has better reg season #s paying w/ more talent and half his games in domes.  Brady has 4 SB titles, 3 of which he led late game winning drives to win.  Manning has 2, in both games his D allowed just 10 pts each so he needed an elite defensive effort to win.

PPG allowed by Brady/Manning Ds in SB runs:

1. Manning 2006 12.8

2. Manning 2015 14.7

3. Brady 2001 15.7

4. Brady 2004 17 PPG

5. Brady 2003 19 PPG

6. Brady 2014 20.7 PPG

avg: Manning 15.8 PPG, Brady 18 PPG

avg. points allowed by Ds in postseason in regulation:

Manning D's: 17 PPG

Brady D's: 20.2 PPG

One and dones:

Manning 9

Brady 2

home playoff losses:

Manning 6

Brady 3

Playoff losses w/ a 1st rd bye:

Manning 5

Brady 1

times threw away Super Bowl w/ game clinching INT returned for TD:

Manning 1

Brady 0

times shut out in postseason:

Manning 1

Brady 0

Times held under 10 pts in postseason:

Manning 3

Brady 0

# of playoff games lost when D/STs scores 2 TDs:

Manning 1

Brady 0

# of playoff wins when opponent scores 20 or more:

Manning 3

Brady 11

it's really not close

TL; DR

:jerkoff smiley:

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

1. Coles and Chrebet were better WRs than Chad was a QB.

2. Reality is, offering insight as a side-gig on his own time and terms is different than working for someone as a full-time job.

Chrebet's career was all but finished by the time Chad was playing, he never got to play with the "good" Chrebet.  Coles was a good #1 target for Chad at the start, but that lasted less than one full season before the Jets let him go and left Chad with next to nothing at WR.  It took them years for them to get Coles back and by then he was a shell of his former self.  And in the process of getting a guy back who was now on the decline, they got rid of their one WR that was on the rise.  Maybe if he got to play with any of these guys while in their prime for more than a partial season that might have helped just a little.

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

santana_moss.jpg

Yes, that was indeed a perfect throw ....... by a 1st round $64.2M QB.

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Chrebet's career was all but finished by the time Chad was playing, he never got to play with the "good" Chrebet.  Coles was a good #1 target for Chad at the start, but that lasted less than one full season before the Jets let him go and left Chad with next to nothing at WR.  It took them years for them to get Coles back and by then he was a shell of his former self.  And in the process of getting a guy back who was now on the decline, they got rid of their one WR that was on the rise.  Maybe if he got to play with any of these guys while in their prime for more than a partial season that might have helped just a little.

These haters need to face facts.  Chad was so much better (as was/is Sanchez) than the Peyton Manning who just won the super bowl.  If Woody Johnson cared about anything more than headlines and Jeb! we could have and may very well have won multiple super bowls with either!

24 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I love it when it only takes one play... one jpeg... to dismantle someone's entire argument.

Chad didn't have the greatest arm and it was diminished even more after the shoulder injuries- we all know this but this notion that he was "exposed" in Oakland is nonsense.  he led us to the div rd 2 years later then after a 2nd surgery led us back in 2006.

Since Tom Brady became the NE starter in 2001 NE has won the division all but 2 seasons- the Chad led 2002 jets and the Chad led 2008 Dolphins(though they don't win it if Brady is healthy).  when Chad was healthy he led teams to the playoffs.  it amazes me how Jet fans bash him, it's why we don't deserve a winner.

32 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I've never heard of a "how to dislocate a shoulder" poster... We they up in your medical school classroom, Doctor?

I hear ya, Chad's teams could've saved a lot of $$$$ if they only listened to me. But every time team doctors declared him NFL strong, Chad proved them wrong.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81c187a3/Pennington-injury

Just now, Klecko73isGod said:

I'm a miserable prick. 

But at least I don't worship at the altar of a cheater. 

I think worship is too strong of a word, I just appreciate greatness.  I wish he sucked but unfortunately he's the best I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

the opponent has nothing to do w/ that?  he faced the AFC champs in 2002 and the #1 D of a 15-1 team in 2004 and we had chances in both games to win. 

he probably doesn't make the ROH only b/c he didn't play long enough but when he was healthy we made the playoffs(and no Jets QB has led us there more).  his issues were always about durability, he just didn't have the body to withstand the punishment of NFL football.

I agree with all of that.  I was pumped in 2002. BUT, if not healthy, what good is he?  We hung on for 6 years hoping.  Other teams drafted good QB's while we held on to Chad.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I agree with all of that.  I was pumped in 2002. BUT, if not healthy, what good is he?  We hung on for 6 years hoping.  Other teams drafted good QB's while we held on to Chad.

It sucks he wasn't durable, it's been our curse.  we had a potential longterm franchise QB and premier pass rusher(Abe) and both were injury prone.  what could have been.

56 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chad didn't have the greatest arm and it was diminished even more after the shoulder injuries- we all know this but this notion that he was "exposed" in Oakland is nonsense.  he led us to the div rd 2 years later then after a 2nd surgery led us back in 2006.

Since Tom Brady became the NE starter in 2001 NE has won the division all but 2 seasons- the Chad led 2002 jets and the Chad led 2008 Dolphins(though they don't win it if Brady is healthy).  when Chad was healthy he led teams to the playoffs.  it amazes me how Jet fans bash him, it's why we don't deserve a winner.

Yeah, no one gives Chad credit for how hard it was to win with Brady in the division!

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

just b/c you are paid well doesn't mean you are expected to make every throw.  they knew his limitations when they signed him. 

Mostly though, limited only by the feeble imaginations of Paul Hackett, Mike Himerdinger, and Brian Schottenheimer!

Archived