Better Defense, 2015 Denver or 2013 Seattle?

prime21

Both are great and both put on a show but who has the edge?  I like Seattle's defense.  They played a Denver offense that was more explosive than Carolina's in my opinion. Manning had 55 td's that season and Seattle's D just steam rolled over them.  Carolina's offense has put up points this year but I never looked at them as this potent offense.  

I personally don't think you pick a team or defense or player off of one game. Bad voodoo hit the Broncos vs. the Seahawks and momentum had a lot to do with that game and dominance defensively by the Seahawks. 

I think you need to look at the stats for the entire season and weigh in playoffs (including super bowl) stats/per game plus player vs. player starting roster...rather than who had a better Super Bowl performance.

FWIW Seattle seemed to have more press and pub surrounding them during their run. 

11 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I personally don't think you pick a team or defense or player off of one game. Bad voodoo hit the Broncos vs. the Seahawks and momentum had a lot to do with that game and dominance defensively by the Seahawks. 

I think you need to look at the stats for the entire season and weigh in playoffs (including super bowl) stats/per game plus player vs. player starting roster...rather than who had a better Super Bowl performance.

FWIW Seattle seemed to have more press and pub surrounding them during their run. 

The final game is in the equation because that's when teams or stars make their final statement on the biggest stage but you are correct you have to look at the whole picture.

Here is a good snapshot of comparing them and a few others.  http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/denver-broncos-super-bowl-50-85-bears-best-defense-ever-poll-020816

19 minutes ago, prime21 said:

The final game is in the equation because that's when teams or stars make their final statement on the biggest stage but you are correct you have to look at the whole picture.

Here is a good snapshot of comparing them and a few others.  http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/denver-broncos-super-bowl-50-85-bears-best-defense-ever-poll-020816

That was a great read! So clearly, at least to me, you have a battle for first between 86 Bears and 00 Ravens (leaning 86 Bears first) and a battle for who gets third place between 13 Seahawks and 15 Broncos (leaning 13 Seahawks). 

But now I'm also wondering about the 02 Bucs and 86 Giants and how they'd fit in both seemed more dominant than either Seahawks or Broncos defenses, at least to my memory.  

There also might be a couple 49er and Cowboy D's we're forgetting about. If we date back to the 70's then Steelers and Vikings too, right?

34 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Seattle had mouthy Sherman and a breakout young QB but Denver has Manning. Manning will always be the story anywhere he plays and that was especially true this year with the injury, questions about his recovery in the preseason, the HGH story and questions about his potential retirement.

45 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Ok...so I was able to compare the 2002 Bucs Defense with that FoxSports link...for best Defenses of all time. You can see a bias for the Seahawks and Broncos run just because they're more recent. The '02 Bucs are clearly a better Defense than either the '13 Seahawks or '15 Broncos.

Yards against per game: '02 Bucs: 252.8

1. '00 Ravens: 240.2

2. '85 Bears: 240.5

3. '13 Seahawks: 284.3

4. '15 Broncos: 293.5

Points against per game: '02 Bucs: 12.3

1. '00 Ravens: 9.4

2. '85 Bears: 10.9

3. '13 Seahawks: 14.3

4. '15 Broncos: 17.9

Shutouts '02 Bucs: 2

t-1. '00 Ravens: 4

t-1. '85 Bears: 4

3. '13 Seahawks: 1

4. '15 Broncos: 0

Turnovers '02 Bucs: 49

1. '85 Bears: 64

2. '00 Ravens: 61

3. '13 Seahawks: 47

4. '15 Broncos: 34

Defensive scores (safeties included) '02 Bucs: 7

1. '85 Bears: 11

t-2. '13 Seahawks: 7

t-2. '15 Broncos: 7

4. '00 Ravens: 4

47 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Ok...so I was able to compare the 2002 Bucs Defense with that FoxSports link...for best Defenses of all time. You can see a bias for the Seahawks and Broncos run just because they're more recent. The '02 Bucs are clearly a better Defense than either the '13 Seahawks or '15 Broncos.

Yards against per game: '02 Bucs: 252.8

1. '00 Ravens: 240.2

2. '85 Bears: 240.5

3. '13 Seahawks: 284.3

4. '15 Broncos: 293.5

Points against per game: '02 Bucs: 12.3

1. '00 Ravens: 9.4

2. '85 Bears: 10.9

3. '13 Seahawks: 14.3

4. '15 Broncos: 17.9

Shutouts '02 Bucs: 2

t-1. '00 Ravens: 4

t-1. '85 Bears: 4

3. '13 Seahawks: 1

4. '15 Broncos: 0

Turnovers '02 Bucs: 49

1. '85 Bears: 64

2. '00 Ravens: 61

3. '13 Seahawks: 47

4. '15 Broncos: 34

Defensive scores (safeties included) '02 Bucs: 7

1. '85 Bears: 11

t-2. '13 Seahawks: 7

t-2. '15 Broncos: 7

4. '00 Ravens: 4

They definitely have stats that make them part of the convo but they seem to be the team that many forgot for some reason. .  

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

They definitely have stats that make them part of the convo but they seem to be the team that many forgot for some reason. .  

Not sure why. You had 5 superstar, (either in or borderline) Hall of Fame players on that defense (Sapp, Rice, Brooks, Barber, Lynch) and they were balanced with their star power, Two up front, one LB and two DBs. 

Archived