Star Wars Episode VIII has begun filming

Larz

sorry rutgers, I couldn't help myself, lol

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-now-filming?cmp=smc|368071958&linkId=21276840

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/videos/star-wars-episode-viii-unveils-luke-skywalker-teaser-adds-cast-members-20160215#ixzz40Flxt6gz

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/

After shattering domestic box office records with The Force Awakens, the Star Wars saga officially announced Monday that it has started production on the upcoming, still-untitled Episode VIII. The announcement was accompanied by a short video that provided an alternate look at the cliffhanger ending of The Force Awakens: The appearance of Luke Skywalker and his encounter with Rey.

According to the film's official cast list, Episode VIII, written and directed by Rian Johnson, finds the bulk of The Force Awakens's cast returning, minus one or two key cast members. There are also some new actors entering the never-ending Star Wars universe: Benicio Del Toro, long rumored to be appearing in Episode VIII, is officially onboard in an unknown role, though it's widely reported that he's playing a villain. Laura Dern has also joined the cast along with newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

Production on Episode VIII is currently underway at London's Pinewood Studios. After postponing the film seven months as Disney attempts to monopolize the Christmas box office – anthology film Rogue One hits theaters this December 16th – Episode VIII is scheduled to arrive December 15th, 2017.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on February 15, 2016.

Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson and continues the storylines introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis.  New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

Star Wars: Episode VIII is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski. Joining the production crew will be some of the industry’s top talent, including Steve Yedlin (Director of Photography), Bob Ducsay (Editor), Rick Heinrichs (Production Designer), Peter Swords King (Hair and Make-Up Designer), and Mary Vernieu (US Casting Director). They will be joining returning crew members Pippa Anderson (Co-Producer, VP Post Production), Neal Scanlan (Creature & Droid FX Creative Supervisor), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Jamie Wilkinson (Prop Master), Chris Corbould (SFX Supervisor), Rob Inch (Stunt Coordinator), Ben Morris (VFX Supervisor), and Nina Gold (UK Casting Director). Star Wars: Episode VIII is scheduled for release December 15, 2017

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Do we really have to keep saying this? It's been two months. I feel like if you haven't seen it by now that's your bad if it meant that much to not have the Internet spoil the movie for you.

I guess I need the joke quotes on it or something.....

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Do we really have to keep saying this? It's been two months. I feel like if you haven't seen it by now that's your bad if it meant that much to not have the Internet spoil the movie for you.

I've seen you hold grudges against people for longer than two months... should we be going by a different standard?

49 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

Where is Lando Motherf*ckin' Calrissian? They're bringing back pretty much every character save the exploded corpse of Grand Moff Tarkin. We need some Billy Dee up in this bitch. 

latest?cb=20080201203945

He was in Rebels with Billy Dee doing the voice over and everything, which was awesome.

Worth noting that he gave an interview a while back where he pretty much said he'll pop up somewhere, and that since they were mirroring some parts of the original trilogy it wouldn't make sense for him to appear in the first movie.

• 2 weeks later...

There's still very little information about "Star Wars: Episode VIII," the sequel to the record-breaking "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," but the film's star Daisy Ridley is revealing what she can.

SPOILERS AHEAD (Kind Of)

At the end of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Ridley's Rey has found Luke Skywalker, played by Mark Hamill, and she is trying to give him back his old lightsaber.

Filming for the sequel began last month and by the looks of the first shot released by "Star Wars," the new movie picks up where the last one left off.

"Me and Mark have been rehearsing a lot, and it’s really amazing,” Ridley told MTV News of the movie. “When we went back to Skellig to do the opening of [Episode] VIII, it was so crazy doing the same scene with a different crew of people. He’s amazing to rehearse with, and I’m very excited to be doing the rest of the stuff.”

She added that "Luke is so cool in this one" and "Episode VIII" is "such a good story."

Back in February, "Star Wars" put out a 34-second clip from the film, which is just beginning production.

In addition, a full cast list, including, "Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis" was released, including newcomers Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern.

"Episode VIII" is set to hit theaters on Dec. 15, 2017.

"Star Wars: Episode VIII" and "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is produced by Lucasfilm, a subsidiary of Disney, which is the parent company of ABC News.

• 5 weeks later...

The home release for Force Awakens is chock full of extras and goodies. There's a fantastic doc on development and production and it's pretty damn impressive seeing all the work that Abrams and Co put into bringing the visual aspects back to its roots and adhering to the laws of the original trilogy.

The most interesting part is how they cover replacing Michael Arndt. People freaked out a little bit when that happened and assumed it was because there was problems with the script, but the reality is he generally takes 3 years to write a script and their original deal was he would work faster for Star Wars, but he couldn't make that work so they decided to just go straight to Lawrence Kasdan.

On 2/15/2016 at 11:04 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

He was in Rebels with Billy Dee doing the voice over and everything, which was awesome.

Worth noting that he gave an interview a while back where he pretty much said he'll pop up somewhere, and that since they were mirroring some parts of the original trilogy it wouldn't make sense for him to appear in the first movie.

Do you still watch Rebels? 

The season finale was really, really good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2016 at 7:40 AM, JerryK said:

Is anyone worried about how *quickly* VIII began filming?   How do you come up with a good/fresh story that quickly?

Well, they pretty much knew Star Wars 7 would make money, so they wrote the script quite a while ago.

On 4/3/2016 at 7:40 AM, JerryK said:

Is anyone worried about how *quickly* VIII began filming?   How do you come up with a good/fresh story that quickly?

Little known fact but the final draft of Empire was written within a few weeks. Lucas had the treatment done shortly after A New Hope but struggled with a ton of it, once Kasdan came on they wrote it very quickly and he's said before that Empire was written the fastest out of all the Star Wars scripts. And Vader being Luke's dad was a plot point that wasn't added until the later stages.

That said, Rian Johnson was writing VIII as VII was filming, and they had the story treatment and production schedule for VIII marked years ago; it actually got delayed about 6 months so they could touch up the script in a few places. Pretty much exactly what happened with The Force Awakens. Also consider that pre-production takes less time simply because of how much they'll have leftover from VII.

On 4/16/2016 at 0:31 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Abrams gave a big reveal yesterday and said Rey's parents are not in episode 7. 

Sorry kids. Tried warning ya not to put too much thought into that one.

He corrected himself to say" "What I meant was that she doesn't discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world." , whatever that means.

Star wars is, and has always been, about the skywalkers.  Introducing Rey to only have her be some random new family or a Kenobi would be disappointing.  Maybe he was just trying to delay the inevitable.  Very small outside chance she is a solo, but she met Leia and they didn't seem to realize it.  That could be old fashioned narrative misdirection, but I doubt it. 

so I watched the blu-ray, and I have to say 2 scenes saved this movie from a 2.5 out of 5 stars rating.  Once the fanboy effect wears off, this move is pretty pedestrian. 

The Han and Kylo scene was really well done and really powerful.  The final scene may be a top 5 scene in the entire series.  Those 2 scenes are worth about a star each for me.

Some random guesses for Episode VIII.   Finn will take the Lando role of betrayer and betray Rey.  This is the movie where the bad guys get the upper hand, and Snoke is going to finish Kylo's training, then Kylo kills Poe.  The movie ends with Rey pursuing Kylo, maybe to kill him, maybe to redeem him.

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

He corrected himself to say" "What I meant was that she doesn't discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world." , whatever that means.

Star wars is, and has always been, about the skywalkers.  Introducing Rey to only have her be some random new family or a Kenobi would be disappointing.  Maybe he was just trying to delay the inevitable.  Very small outside chance she is a solo, but she met Leia and they didn't seem to realize it.  That could be old fashioned narrative misdirection, but I doubt it. 

so I watched the blu-ray, and I have to say 2 scenes saved this movie from a 2.5 out of 5 stars rating.  Once the fanboy effect wears off, this move is pretty pedestrian. 

The Han and Kylo scene was really well done and really powerful.  The final scene may be a top 5 scene in the entire series.  Those 2 scenes are worth about a star each for me.

Some random guesses for Episode VIII.   Finn will take the Lando role of betrayer and betray Rey.  This is the movie where the bad guys get the upper hand, and Snoke is going to finish Kylo's training, then Kylo kills Poe.  The movie ends with Rey pursuing Kylo, maybe to kill him, maybe to redeem him.

I have been saying this since day one. It's simply too easy of a plot point. There's no way.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

dude.  they had a death star in the last movie, lol.  This isn't Rashomon

you may be right, but it would suck

I hope she's the love child of Wedge and Jabba's erotic slave dancer from Jedi. Just because it would piss people off. Whatever gets the most people to complain about it on the Internet, I hope they do it.

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I hope she's the love child of Wedge and Jabba's erotic slave dancer from Jedi. Just because it would piss people off. Whatever gets the most people to complain about it on the Internet, I hope they do it.

you mean just so you are right, lol

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I wouldn't complain. And with his old man's genes, Kylo Ren should be a pretty decent pilot. Then we can have the two of them having a proper death duel, her in an X-Wing, him in a TIE.

4 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

I wouldn't complain. And with his old man's genes, Kylo Ren should be a pretty decent pilot. Then we can have the two of them having a proper death duel, her in an X-Wing, him in a TIE.

Then Grand Moff Tarkin comes back as a force ghost because he was secretly a Jedi the entire time and butt****s the both of them. 

Archived