Star Wars Episode VIII has begun filming

Larz

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/20/2017 at 7:54 PM, Larz said:

That's the thing. I was 10 in 77, star wars is a part of my whole life too

Without Vader Luke and han it's just another movie

I'm probably making too much out of Hamill's comments but at this point I may not even go unless the word of mouth is amazing

I'm a huge skeptic and OT purist and probably the biggest basher of TFA on this (and many other) forums. I know who Garvin Dreis and Jon Vander are. I knew Wedge Antilles backstory 25 years before Disney borrowed from the EU and Rogue Squadron books. 

Im taking my 8 year old tomorrow. I'll give you an honest, non-nostalgia, non fanboy thumbs up or down. Im praying it doesnt suck. Im praying they dont bend over the legacy of Luke Skywalker and assrape him. I hope this ******* "Rose" character all of the media insiders are whinhing about is a decent, worthwhile character and not just a way to jam an Asian into the SW cast...

Ill let you know tomorrow night.

Save your money if you watched and cared for the OT. This movie was literally a 3 hour insult. Seeiously.

Kathleen Kennedy, Disney, and a SJW agenda just gave a huge **** YOU to their core audience. 

It was boring. The music was barely noticeable. The plot was garbage. 

MASSIVE SPOILERS HERE NOW

And **** it. They literally throw the Luke Skywalker character into the garbage and then have him fade away into the force? LOL. He keels over and disappears into the force because he was astrally projecting his image to face Kylo Ren? WTF.

Snoke is dead. Ren kills him....because....I dont know...hes angsty and has the hots for Rey? LOL

Reys parents are.....nobodies? Her family sold her to Simon Pegg for liquor?  LOL OK.....

Yoda is deformed and drunk as a ghost? LOL OK

Laura Derns forgettable blue haired feminist Rebellion Leader decides to humiliate and emasculate her best and highest ranking military officer because....hes a hot shot pilot guy? LOL What?

Hey! Theres Admiral Ack.....oh, he died.  LOL

Hey! There's Brienne of Ta.....oh, shes dead.

Leia can fly through space! 

*insert Han Solo saying...."THATS NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!"

#RESIST

And.....hes gone.

And for ****s sake, if you're goimg to make a sci fi space war movie, dont assume everyone in your audience is a bandwago jumping 28 year old millenial girl...

I get it, theres no sound in space, its done for drama.....but DROPPING BOMBS from an open bomb bay in space ? LOL 

Attacking in a linear fashion from a singke direction? C'mon man, at least be half as smart as the writers of The Expanse.

So stupid.

Leia magically flying through space because, you know, the Force? LOL Jesus.....

On 11/20/2017 at 7:54 PM, Larz said:

That's the thing. I was 10 in 77, star wars is a part of my whole life too

Without Vader Luke and han it's just another movie

I'm probably making too much out of Hamill's comments but at this point I may not even go unless the word of mouth is amazing

Saw it last night, great film IMHO - well worth watching and you can judge for yourself, I will go see it again and I have seen them all in the theater, (no books or cartoons just movies), The Last Jedi was better than I expected from the trailers

BTW - don't scroll up and read the spoilers

Saw it last night.

Very conflicted.  Leaning towards not liking it tbqh.  Too many problems to list.

Need a second viewing.  Liked almost every Star Wars movie to date, but felt Force Awakens was one of the weakest, and this one, after first viewing, is now the weakest/worst.  Yes, worse than the prequels.  As bad (If not worse) than NuTrek, another Abrams-led horror show.

And I love Rian Johnson, the director, literal love.

Very meh.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Saw it last night.

Very conflicted.  Leaning towards not liking it tbqh.  Too many problems to list.

Need a second viewing.  Liked almost every Star Wars movie to date, but felt Force Awakens was one of the weakest, and this one, after first viewing, is now the weakest/worst.  Yes, worse than the prequels.  As bad (If not worse) than NuTrek, another Abrams-led horror show.

And I love Rian Johnson, the director, literal love.

Very meh.

They even recycled the beginning of ST 2009...big ship kamikazes the enemy to protect fleeing smaller ships. 

Whatever. It was 2.5 hours of Progressivism propaganda cloaked in the garb of Star Wars. Hillariously terrible. An absence of new Star Wars movies would have been better this this crap.

I really, really loved it. Pushing the story in a totally new direction. The last hour was t!ts. Luke's final battle was so fitting. Mark Hamill deserves some props for putting in a performance like that despite him disagreeing with where they took the character.

***spoiler alert***

P.S. I told you ****ers 2 years ago that Rey was a totally new character with no association to Obi Wan or the Skywalkers. I know my Star Wars. Suck it biatches.

P.P.S. When Ben slayed Snoke the theater went nuts, thought he was turning. I knew the second he did it that was a wrap for him. Sith are supposed to slay their masters.

16 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Leia magically flying through space because, you know, the Force? LOL Jesus.....

I had a feeling that internet peeps were going to have a problem like this. Thing is in the SW universe Jedi and force sensitive characters have survived in space before. Plo Koon did it in the Clone Wars. Luke did it in one of the Thrawn books. Han's daughter definitely did it too, I just can't remember which book.

16 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Snoke is dead. Ren kills him....because....I dont know...hes angsty and has the hots for Rey? LOL

Ren kills Snoke because the final step in a Sith transitioning from apprentice to master is slaying your master. This is why, for example, Palpatine begs Luke to kill him at the end of Return of the Jedi.

There's no question as to why he does this. In VII he offers to teach Rey, and right after he kills Snoke in VIII he offers to bring her on again. I think he sees himself as something even more than a Sith, but it's clear he adheres to the tradition of embracing its power through past traditions.

Some people have so much invested in needing to love this movie that they'll convince themselves it was good. Its not. This movie is a franchise killer. I would have walked out if I wasnt with my son, and my 8 year old son didn't particularly like this movie either. I guess if you have the sensibilities of a 27 year old hipster chick with blue hair, it was good. I dont know. All I know is that the movie was boring, the "battles" were boring, the whole Finn and Rose subplot was pointless and boring, Laura Derns character was awful and stupid, Poe spends the entire movie being shamed and told to shut up, and they threw basically sh*t all over the character of Luke Skywalker and  threw him away. 

Whatever. It'll make Disney another Billion. But at least I dont have to worry about who Snoke is, who Reys parents are, and when the next movie will be, because, well, none of those things were ever important anyway, and I simply dont care about where this franchise is going...

Oh, and by the way, regardless of your personal feelings or leanings, they werent even TRYING to be subtle about the political bent of this movie. If you didn't notice it, its because you might be "nose blind"......lol #Resist

40 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Still think Poe Dameron's a second rate Wedge, but that call with Hux at the start?

Wraith Squadron would have been proud of that.

Wraith Squadron doesnt exist.

But that being said, hey! The entire Republic and Billions of people were just killed. I lost half my squadron attacking DeathStar 3.0, my buddies in stasis, all of my friends might die...time for a hillarious Abbott and Costello routine. In space. LOL

46 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Still think Poe Dameron's a second rate Wedge, but that call with Hux at the start?

Wraith Squadron would have been proud of that.

Has there ever been a more underrated scifi writer than Aaron Allston? The way him and Michael Stackpole expanded on that one bit of the universe was so cool. I feel like even though Rogue One didn't pull directly from their books, the spirit of them was alive and well in that movie.

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I loved the EU back in the day. Some really bad books, but some really really good stuff too. I also loved the very very old Han Solo Chronicles....Han Solo at Stars End etc. I even read Splinter of the Minds Eye a million years ago....

Excepting the creme de la creme of scifi books, (i.e. Asimov, Heinlein, Dune...etc), I would put Thrawn right up with the a lot of the all time classics. Zahn's writing is that good. Had that trilogy not been a Star Wars affiliated trilogy I think it would get a lot more respect in the general science fiction world than it does now with respect to legacy.

I did not think this movie was very good at all. I am leaning towards bad and I have no interest in seeing it. It has one of the dumbest plots ever (seriously, most of the plot is a friggin CHASE because the good guys ships are faster than the big bads ships, but you know they couldn't scramble fighters or bombers or just warp in front of them, but then again we learned that the rebellions ships run on gas....lol) 

It was truly kind of terrible. Clearly Rian and JJ are not on the same page at all and entire elements of the storyline is just randomly discarded.

Luke's super important lightsaber? We wait 2 years to see Rey give it to him and he throws it off a cliff. Just dumb.

The movie was just dumb and boring and stripped all the mystery out of the storyline by essentially ignoring any mystery. Snoke's origin-ehh well just kill him. Rey's parents-well build it up since it is important-nah they are nobodies. Yoda just pops in in the flesh. 

The movie was almost entirely about astral projection, that was the big new thing. Led to one of the lamer endings ever to the most important character in the entire SW universe.

Snoke's room looked like a set for a play, and apparently that was on PURPOSE. Why?

And it was seriously long. I love long movies but this was long almost for the sake of being long, and when they cut it down they chose to keep more random CGI crap rather than scenes that moved the plot along which were clearly missing.

The more I think on it the more I realize- It was just BAD. Even though the first was a remake, it was far superior to this crap.

Of course clueless Kathleen Kennedy gave an entire trilogy to the stiff director.

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I did not think this movie was very good at all. I am leaning towards bad and I have no interest in seeing it. It has one of the dumbest plots ever (seriously, most of the plot is a friggin CHASE because the good guys ships are faster than the big bads ships, but you know they couldn't scramble fighters or bombers or just warp in front of them, but then again we learned that the rebellions ships run on gas....lol) 

It was truly kind of terrible. Clearly Rian and JJ are not on the same page at all and entire elements of the storyline is just randomly discarded.

Luke's super important lightsaber? We wait 2 years to see Rey give it to him and he throws it off a cliff. Just dumb.

The movie was just dumb and boring and stripped all the mystery out of the storyline by essentially ignoring any mystery. Snoke's origin-ehh well just kill him. Rey's parents-well build it up since it is important-nah they are nobodies. Yoda just pops in in the flesh. 

The movie was almost entirely about astral projection, that was the big new thing. Led to one of the lamer endings ever to the most important character in the entire SW universe.

Snoke's room looked like a set for a play, and apparently that was on PURPOSE. Why?

And it was seriously long. I love long movies but this was long almost for the sake of being long, and when they cut it down they chose to keep more random CGI crap rather than scenes that moved the plot along which were clearly missing.

The more I think on it the more I realize- It was just BAD. Even though the first was a remake, it was far superior to this crap.

Of course clueless Kathleen Kennedy gave an entire trilogy to the stiff director.

I cant rep this post enough. I did an hour long nerd rant on youtube last night as a catharsis. 40 years of fandom thrown away. Laser Sword? Luke said LASER SWORD?! Who wrote this? The fictionalized Wil Wheaton of BBT? 

The whole Rose (who did nothing and is a bad actress) and Finn plot was retarded. Oh, and we even got an anti-horse racing message from Peta and then Vegan Shame Chewie.

**** you right back, Disney.

I liked it.  It wasn't as epic as some of the reviews I had read.  It's not close to Empire.  But I enjoyed it. 

SPOILER

Do you think Kylo was lying to Rey when he said her parents were nobodies?  Does it matter?

The Snoke throne room scenes were epic.  The whole Canto Bight story arc was weak.  BDToro's character was cool though.  Didn't really understand the whole Rose/Finn love arc they threw in at the end but alright maybe she just likes him.  Kylo, Rey and Luke were excellent in this movie.  

And the Yoda cameo was great.  Well done; much more like the Yoda from the OT than the PT, which I thought was a good choice. 

13 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Do you think Kylo was lying to Rey when he said her parents were nobodies?  Does it matter?

No. I think the the rando jedi kid at the end confirmed where they were heading with Rey and future Jedi. The Skywalkers will always be a part of this story, but they won't always be the heroes, and jedi can come from anywhere. Don't forget, this trilogy does have a Skywalker as its main plot device, thus the search for another one is a reach. Rey is a nobody, just like Anakin was.

I think Luke's inner conflict for this trilogy is a reflection of that as well. Maybe he isn't the hero. And maybe his family really does need to get the **** out of the way.

This is kind of how I have felt since VII was released, about both Rey and Snoke. Everyone was constantly throwing out theories about who they really are, but I have felt since day one that these are simply totally new characters.

49 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No. I think the the rando jedi kid at the end confirmed where they were heading with Rey and future Jedi. The Skywalkers will always be a part of this story, but they won't always be the heroes, and jedi can come from anywhere. Don't forget, this trilogy does have a Skywalker as its main plot device, thus the search for another one is a reach. Rey is a nobody, just like Anakin was.

I think Luke's inner conflict for this trilogy is a reflection of that as well. Maybe he isn't the hero. And maybe his family really does need to get the **** out of the way.

This is kind of how I have felt since VII was released, about both Rey and Snoke. Everyone was constantly throwing out theories about who they really are, but I have felt since day one that these are simply totally new characters.

No issue with Rey being a nobody, but the first movie chose to foreshadow her parents as being important.

Snoke on the other hand, you need to know about. If we say he is a totally new character, fine. But there has to be a story about where a force user stronger than Ren and Vader, and the emperor , comes from especially since they said he lived through all of the events of the first 6 movies.

I judge the movies on their own merit, and never really get caught up in fan boy character assassination things, but seriously they way Luke was handled was completely ludicrous. Dumbo Kathleen Kennedy should listen to Hamill if he states that his character is completely mis-written in the movies because it was.

So many issues with the core storyline in regards to Luke. 

First of all the Republic won in ROTJ. But the situation in TFA was that the Resistance was essentially right back where they started because of Snoke.

And he was well on his way or had already conquered the galaxy when the whole Jedi school thing happened because Luke stated he know Ren had been turned by Snoke. 

So we are to believe that Luke almost kills his nephew and then goes into hiding. No Luke would have went after Snoke and nothing suggests he did.

I could go on but Id rather dwell on how dumb Bowles is 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

No issue with Rey being a nobody, but the first movie chose to foreshadow her parents as being important.

Snoke on the other hand, you need to know about. If we say he is a totally new character, fine. But there has to be a story about where a force user stronger than Ren and Vader, and the emperor , comes from especially since they said he lived through all of the events of the first 6 movies.

Why? Why does that have to happen? Star Wars has literally never worked that way. We didn't know anything about Palpatine throughout the entire trilogy, even so much as his name (which didn't appear until the books). Strange crap that doesn't make sense constantly appears out of nowhere in Lucas' movies. The EU usually fills in the blanks and that's pretty much how it has worked since 1976. That's half the fun of the damn thing.

22 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Save your money if you watched and cared for the OT. This movie was literally a 3 hour insult. Seeiously.

Kathleen Kennedy, Disney, and a SJW agenda just gave a huge **** YOU to their core audience. 

It was boring. The music was barely noticeable. The plot was garbage. 

And **** it. They literally throw the Luke Skywalker character into the garbage and then have him fade away into the force? LOL

Reys parents are.....nobodies? LOL OK

Yoda is deformed and drunk as a ghost? LOL OK

Laura Derns forgettable blue haired feminist Rebellion Leader decides to humiliate and emasculate her best and highest ranking military officer because....hes a hot shot pilot guy? LOL What?

Hey! Theres Admiral Ack.....oh, he died.  LOL

Hey! There's Brienne of Ta.....oh, shes dead.

#RESIST

And.....hes gone.

You seriously could have put in some kind of spoiler alert, or something.  I ran across this thread before seeing the movie.

Not cool

My main problem was the scene where Kylo had his shirt off and his pants pulled up above his belly button and covered in body oil. That was 100% a Goldblum in Jurassic Park moment. Everyone in the theater started dying laughing including me, totally took you out of disbelief for what was an important scene. Good lord did that look ******* ridiculous. How Johnson and Co let that one in there is beyond me. Absolute certainty that becomes a meme.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My main problem was the scene where Kylo had his shirt off and his pants pulled up above his belly button and covered in body oil. That was 100% a Goldblum in Jurassic Park moment. Everyone in the theater started dying laughing including me, totally took you out of disbelief for what was an important scene. Good lord did that look ******* ridiculous. How Johnson and Co let that one in there is beyond me. Absolute certainty that becomes a meme.

Kylo Ren hangin out on the weekend...giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Archived