Star Wars Episode VIII has begun filming

Larz

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Wasn't an anyone specific, or even to folks on this board.  I've seen the rants going crazy from both sides on this one.  Like I said, it seems the extreme reactions in both directions are a bit excessive.  I'm not going to lie, I wasn't 100% on board with everything in the movie, including parts of Luke, so I get it to an extent.  Just feels like it's become this trend for people to bitch about every single Star Wars movie for literally decades now, so it's become a bit of an eye-roller to me that becomes difficult to take seriously.  Especially given some of the laughably nit-picky things I've seen thrown out there over a friggin' space fantasy.  Two years from now, odds are pretty good that TLJ will be looked back upon much more fondly and everyone will be ready to get pissed about the next one.

Fair enough. I specifically loved TFA. In fact, going against the grain for the prequels, I didn't foster a visceral hate for them the way others do. For TLJ specifically though, I just can't get over the Luke story line. We waited and waited for this...some people 30+ years, and then they teased us with a glimpse of him at the end of TFA....and.........

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JiF said:

That was a good read and summarized my frustrations well.  The comedy was too much, like I said, it almost seemed like a spoof at times and the jokes weren't really funny.  They were cheesy as hell. The social implications of the movie, whatever, I don't get to wrapped up in it though it was blatantly obvious. 

And I don't think the fact they're not taking it the route that many fans expected is that big of a deal, in fact, that's what I liked about this movie. It was original unlike TFA.  I think it's more about what he hit on with his point about building up plot lines that everyone was waiting to get answers on that ultimately meant nothing.  You spend 2-3 years waiting in suspense and then it's like, nope, just kidding.  It's a let down and missed opportunity in my eyes.

And again, treating the most iconic character possibly in the history of film the way they did, was disappointing.  I'm fine with killing him off, I'm fine with breaking him down and building him back up to be the hero...that's cool...it was just how they did it.  Luke Skywalker brushed his shoulder off during the final fight scene you'll ever see from him.  Let that sink in for a minute.  I'm still rolling my eyes and forever will think see that image and start singing Jay-Z.  That sucks.  

Different strokes for different folks.  There was no possible way they were going to please everyone and the die hard fans...were never going to be fully pleased to begin with so that shouldn't be their concern.

Let me ask you this; what are you excited about for the next film?  Like, what is the cliff hanger?  Is there anything suspenseful left that's got you intrigued?  Despite my gripes with TFA, you left on the edge or your seat with anticipation.  And for Act 2 of a 3 Act story, I've literally got nothing to be excited about in the next movie.  The only thing that is the slightest bit intriguing is; how will the Rebels overcome these odds!!! And that's not exciting or suspenseful at all.  

I get a bunch of what you're saying, and the whole concept of the route not being what expected is the part I find most ridiculous about some of these complaints.  From my perspective, it was that much better that they chose not to simply go the obvious or commonly theorized paths.  While I know it didn't go over so well, I also did not have an issue with not needing to make every single detail of the movie some amazingly impactful revelation, although I can understand not appreciating the number of times it was done.  In my case, I had no issue with the whole Rey's parents situation.  Playing it any other way would have pretty much be further replicating the original trilogy.

I can get your point about the excitement for the next one, and I agree they are essentially just settling on the basic "everything is stacked against the good guys" concept.  I'm still going to want to see it, because frankly there's nothing that would have made me not want to, but certainly won't be having any uncontrollable anticipation.  Essentially, the appeal to it all is that everything is set to be settled in that movie, short of Disney changing the plan, to drag this on longer in attempt to pull in more cashola.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Fair enough. I specifically loved TFA. In fact, going against the grain for the prequels, I didn't foster a visceral hate for them the way others do. For TLJ specifically though, I just can't get over the Luke story line. We waited and waited for this...some people 30+ years, and then they teased us with a glimpse of him at the end of TFA....and.........

Yeah, I'll admit that one was a bit of a heart-breaker for me, so I totally get it.  I didn't feel like it ruined the movie for me, but I can get if others feel that way.  I've been more thrown off by some of these 10 page long rants about every moment of the film, including rage over some of the random stupid/non-realistic type crap that has filled absolutely every one of these movies for 40 years now.  Those are the instances that I'm not sure why those people are even watching.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Sorry!  But considering the movie was discussed at length already before I made that post on Tuesday, I thought we were past no spoilers.

It's cool, I came in to the end of the thread, and saw what I quoted. I am a bit sensitive to spoilers, since someone absolutely ruined TFA for me about an hour before I went to see it a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I get a bunch of what you're saying, and the whole concept of the route not being what expected is the part I find most ridiculous about some of these complaints.  From my perspective, it was that much better that they chose not to simply go the obvious or commonly theorized paths.  While I know it didn't go over so well, I also did not have an issue with not needing to make every single detail of the movie some amazingly impactful revelation, although I can understand not appreciating the number of times it was done.  In my case, I had no issue with the whole Rey's parents situation.  Playing it any other way would have pretty much be further replicating the original trilogy.

I can get your point about the excitement for the next one, and I agree they are essentially just settling on the basic "everything is stacked against the good guys" concept.  I'm still going to want to see it, because frankly there's nothing that would have made me not want to, but certainly won't be having any uncontrollable anticipation.  Essentially, the appeal to it all is that everything is set to be settled in that movie, short of Disney changing the plan, to drag this on longer in attempt to pull in more cashola.

That's a good point about Rey.  Never thought of it that way because they built it up so much but you're right it would be very redundant to the original which was my biggest gripe with TFA.

And ofcourse I'll be in the theatres for the next one. 100%.  It's just bizarre that they didn't leave some sort of suspenseful plot line/cliff hanger to pick up on in the next movie.  Even in the Attack of the Clones, left you wondering what was going happen to Anakin and Padmae after the secret marriage, etc. and even in that movie we knew ultimately what would happen but it was more so of how did it all happen.  There was a ton of suspense to see the beginning of Vadar, the dissent from Obi Wan, the marriage, the birth of Luke and Leia.

TLJ failed to set up the next movie with any real excitement other than, hey guys Rey is a Jedi so not all hope is lost for the rebellion. Which just seems like another missed opportunity.  We know the Rebellion is going to win but do you really care how?  I think the lack of substance in the sub plots really leaves you disconnected with the new wave of characters.  Like I could really give 2 sh*ts about any of these new characters because they're all terrible and have truly had zero impact on developing the story.  

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's a good point about Rey.  Never thought of it that way because they built it up so much but you're right it would be very redundant to the original which was my biggest gripe with TFA.

And ofcourse I'll be in the theatres for the next one. 100%.  It's just bizarre that they didn't leave some sort of suspenseful plot line/cliff hanger to pick up on in the next movie.  Even in the Attack of the Clones, left you wondering what was going happen to Anakin and Padmae after the secret marriage, etc. and even in that movie we knew ultimately what would happen but it was more so of how did it all happen.  There was a ton of suspense to see the beginning of Vadar, the dissent from Obi Wan, the marriage, the birth of Luke and Leia.

TLJ failed to set up the next movie with any real excitement other than, hey guys Rey is a Jedi so not all hope is lost for the rebellion. Which just seems like another missed opportunity.  We know the Rebellion is going to win but do you really care how?  I think the lack of substance in the sub plots really leaves you disconnected with the new wave of characters.  Like I could really give 2 sh*ts about any of these new characters because they're all terrible and have truly had zero impact on developing the story.  

I did really like the final scene with the kid using the force to pick up the broom after talking about Luke's heroics. That scene was clearly some period of time after Luke's "brush ya shouldas off" fight scene. I believe the next movie will begin another 5 or 10 years after that, showing that kid and others as young Jedis in training.

They made a very big deal about executive order 66 including referencing it in TLJ, plus the title of TLJ...I think they're going to want to flesh out the story of young Jedis coming up and out of nowhere (like Rey).

38 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I did really like the final scene with the kid using the force to pick up the broom after talking about Luke's heroics. That scene was clearly some period of time after Luke's "brush ya shouldas off" fight scene. I believe the next movie will begin another 5 or 10 years after that, showing that kid and others as young Jedis in training.

They made a very big deal about executive order 66 including referencing it in TLJ, plus the title of TLJ...I think they're going to want to flesh out the story of young Jedis coming up and out of nowhere (like Rey).

You know, I didn't notice that he picked up the broom with the force.  I knew the way it was shot coming off of telling Luke's story what they were hinting at but I missed that particular.  

4 hours ago, JiF said:

The only thing that is the slightest bit intriguing is; how will the Rebels overcome these odds!!! 

If they've any sense whatsoever, they'll be rescued by Wedge and Lando (WHERE THE F**K ARE THEY, BY THE WAY?), who'll then proceed to wipe out Ren, Hux, and the rest of the First Order, proving the Force is no match for a blaster. Or a well flown X-Wing.

And everyone'll celebrate over some barbecued Ewok.

2 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

If they've any sense whatsoever, they'll be rescued by Wedge and Lando (WHERE THE F**K ARE THEY, BY THE WAY?), who'll then proceed to wipe out Ren, Hux, and the rest of the First Order, proving the Force is no match for a blaster. Or a well flown X-Wing.

Image result for bravo gif

11 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

For a second during VIII I thought Lando was gonna be the codebreaker guy on that gambling planet.

Entertainment

Mark Hamill Rips His Role In 'Last Jedi': 'He's Not My Luke Skywalker'

Ron Dicker,HuffPost 4 hours ago

On 12/19/2017 at 9:22 AM, JiF said:

Having a hard time with this movie.  Not sure how anyone could walk away from this movie thinking it was great.  There were moments of some pretty cool sh*t but nothing I would call great.  And then the rest of the movie was filled with eye rolling cheesy humor and pointless Disney characters who literally provided zero value.  At times, I legit thought I was watching a spoof of Star Wars, like Space Balls all over again.  The humor was over the top, incorporated way too much to the point it even ruined some of the most important and intense scenes and too often was it just a huge miss or maybe funny for a 10 year old.  The shirtless scene?  You're in the middle of an intense moment, which could probably be the best scene in the movie but you start with Rey asking him to put a towel on?  Come the **** on.  Luke Skywalker, brushed his shoulder off?...for a second I thought to myself...they're going to drop the Jay-Z song, aren't they?  I've never rolled my eyes more in a movie theatre than I did in this movie.  And I get that the original trilogy had silly character but outside of the bar scene in A New Hope, they all served a purpose.  This movie had more A Phantom Menace in it than it did anything else.  I was half expecting to see the lineage of Jar-Jar Binks appear. 

That said, I did enjoy a few scenes:

The fight scene that took place after the Snoke death was pretty rad.  I'm not going to get into how he was so strong with the force but couldnt tell what Ren was doing...I can look past that type of stuff even though it's silly because the fight scene was bad ass.  The weapons, the moves, the colors, music...by far the best scene of the movie.  

I enjoyed the Rey scene where she saw the duplications of herself on Luke's island.  That was pretty cool and shot really well.

I actually liked the Yoda and R2 scenes.  Both for nostalgic reasons but also because they would totally be the ones to help talk logic into Luke.  I thought they were very well done.

That was really it. 

I thought they pretty much ruined everything else.  Poe who I was really excited about in TFA, was way too much in this movie.  I love Oscar they really made him just a corny character.  Finn, which was the only original story line from the TFA, was part of the most meaningless storyline in this one.  That whole relationship provided nothing to the movie or to push the story along.

The build up of Rey and who she is and who are her parents only to be noting at all.  So dumb.  That's fine she's a nobody but why build it up and make it seem like the story was all about discovering who she was and how she fits in the grand scheme of the story. 

I wanted to love that final Luke scene, I really did but holy **** was it bad.  First off, we finally have a reunion with his twin sister and he's a freaking hologram.  How did they touch and how did he kiss her head?  And then the shoulder brush off, for fuke sake.  So lame.  Why do something so lame with Luke Skywalker?  And then the Matrix lean?  What was the point of the Matrix lean?  He was a ******* hologram.   I appreciate the effort with the twin suns and all that but what a piss poor way to send off the most iconic character potentially in the history of film. 

The Leia superman scene.  The fact she's still alive.  Bizarre sh*t. 

You know what I think my biggest problem was with the hole movie?   The most important character and the most valuable asset to the entire rebellion?  Is BB-8.  A droid.  A droid was by far the most important character in the entire rebellion.  While the rest of the movie battles internal conflict and has to have all these pointless conversations and meaningless missions, BB-8 is straight getting work done. And he's a droid.  I get R2 was obviously a huge part of the original trilogy but never did his efforts over shadow those of Luke or Han or Leia.

Thanks for writing my review. Same thoughts 

True story. Guy my age, around 50 sits in front of us with his 4 year old son. He has a superman jacket on, the kid is decked out head to toe in padawan robes and accessories, rebellion symbols, the works. 

Guy leans over to the kid and says "anakin, please behave during the movie". 

I figured I misunderstood. 

Later on he tells anakin to quit squirming in his seat, I heard it clear as day 

I don't think dad though that one through 

Just got back from watching it and a bit conflicted.  Good and bad but overall I'm leaning towards liking, but not loving it.

Some of the things I disliked:

The Poe Hux exchange felt a little too slapstick to start the movie.  I could see 1 wise ass answer but the 2nd and 3rd felt forced and ending with a mom joke was kind of lame.

Why was Chewie an afterthought?  He and Luke have major history so it doesn't make sense to quarantine him at the falcon leaving a stranger in Rey to try and convince Luke to join the fight.

Snoke getting smoked without delving into his background was strange. I kept waiting for the part showing he wasn't actually dead and it was all an elaborate rouse to try and recruit Rey.

The Laura Dern character was pretty awful.  Was kind of happy when she volunteered to stay behind and sacrifice herself.

I don't believe Rey is a nobody.  I'd bet that we'll get the real answer in 2 years.

Luke dying without having a real fight was unsatisfying.  The Professor X routine in the showdown with Kylo was...  not great.

Despite these miscues I liked a lot about the movie and did laugh a handful of times.  I don't agree with many of the reviewers on RT saying it's the best installment since ESB but I also think the hate it's getting from some of the nerds is overblown.

I give it a 6 1/2 out of 10 and will definitely be in line to see how JJ wraps up the trilogy.

Oh hey I have a better idea, the end of the movie we'll **** with the audience, make them think Luke is here to save the day, but oops he's dead oops he's not oops he's dead again 

**** that movie 

Anybody pretending to like it is in pure denial 

2 things I liked, phasmas armor actually deflected a blaster shot, and on the Luke's jedi island they showed the tail of a massive sea creature going into the sea. 

That's about it 

So thank you Rian Johnson, now I don't have to waste any more money on Disney star wars movies as there is nothing left for me now 

Finn poe  and kylo all suck and I don't give a flying **** what happens to them. 

Saw it today.

*****SPOILERS*****

Corny humor.

Poe was reserved and likeable in TFA, he was uppity in this. Not nearly as likeable.

Rey seemed a bit marginalized. The first movie was good BECAUSE it made her a centerpiece. This seemed to use her more like a macguffin. Rey gets us Luke. Rey moves the rocks so escape. Rey makes salt planet battle more feasible, otherwise it’s decimation. Rey is used to remove Snoke and set up Kylo. Nothing in her story really advances. She still has no training, but masterful skills.

Rose and the code breaker mission sucked. Del Toro sucked. Nothing about any of this side story was interesting or good, except the arms dealers concept (but not execution). That whole planet and casino felt like Lucas directed it. Goofy cgi aliens burping. Lame.

They made Luke a wuss. He was always whiny, but he was never s wuss... he was always driven by the ideals of making a difference.

Abrams did a better job developing affinity for characters. This felt like a movie driven by a checklist of things that needed to happen.

There was a real lack of charm and specialness that TFA and R1 tapped into. It just felt a little empty to me. Like a solid action movie, not a Star Wars movie.

I've got more unformed thoughts, but overall it was a solid C. Wasn’t terrible, but easily the worst of the 3 Disney films.

That said, I still enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

With TLJ's box office approaching $1 billion, Disney has already made back what they spent on buying the entire franchise. 3 movies was all it took. Unreal.

That was never in doubt, but having a light sabre doesn't mean it's a star wars movie. 

I would like to thank Rian for removing any doubt about paying to see another Disney crap fest 

#firestickthatsh*t

Johnson probably impressed his film school buddies, but I hated the movie from the opening crawl. It was written like he was forced to put it in and was just going through the motions 

I really wanted to walk out halfway through but my kids were into it 

Young people just don't get how bitterly disappointing that pile of diarrhea is. 

Of all the criticism, the 1 that doesn't get talked about is nobody said "I have a bad feeling about this" 

That's like star trek with nobody getting beamed up. 

That's like benching Eli for geno Smith 

Some things you just don't mess with. 

What's the point? Proving you are a hip happening director that takes chances with bold fresh ideas? 

Great, make a ******* indie movie. 

Every body knew they had to transition from the core characters, I'm not criticizing him for that. 

The movie was 30 minutes too long, the jokes were terrible, the plot made no sense, he ignored the force awakens, the matrix lean, the milking scene, Mary Poppins, Rey fails at everything, poe and fin suck , rose sucks   the slow speed space chase was eyerollapalooza , and he managed to make a surprise appearance by Yoda boring. 

I judge movies by 3 criteria 

1) did it make me feel or think?.  I felt nothing. Nobody cheered when Luke appeared, nobody booed for kylo. What made star wars special was its the only movie I've ever seen where the audience cheers the characters first onscreen appearance.  the crowd I was with sat in silence when the movie ended. Star wars crowds cheer after the end. 

2) did I become aware my seat is uncomfortable?. You. 45 minutes in. I was never engaged by this career vehicle  for Johnson. 

3) did I wonder how long before the movie ends? Yup. During the stupid master coder in a Las Vegas cantina plot

I get that Disney is trying to anchor in a new generation, that's business, but they could have given the original generation a decent story to go out with. 

Now jj will remake return of the jedi, medal ceremony and all, and a death sun, and the shame of it is I don't give a sh*t. 

7 hours ago, Larz said:

That was never in doubt, but having a light sabre doesn't mean it's a star wars movie. 

I would like to thank Rian for removing any doubt about paying to see another Disney crap fest 

#firestickthatsh*t

Johnson probably impressed his film school buddies, but I hated the movie from the opening crawl. It was written like he was forced to put it in and was just going through the motions 

I really wanted to walk out halfway through but my kids were into it 

Young people just don't get how bitterly disappointing that pile of diarrhea is. 

Of all the criticism, the 1 that doesn't get talked about is nobody said "I have a bad feeling about this" 

That's like star trek with nobody getting beamed up. 

That's like benching Eli for geno Smith 

Some things you just don't mess with. 

What's the point? Proving you are a hip happening director that takes chances with bold fresh ideas? 

Great, make a ******* indie movie. 

Every body knew they had to transition from the core characters, I'm not criticizing him for that. 

The movie was 30 minutes too long, the jokes were terrible, the plot made no sense, he ignored the force awakens, the matrix lean, the milking scene, Mary Poppins, Rey fails at everything, poe and fin suck , rose sucks   the slow speed space chase was eyerollapalooza , and he managed to make a surprise appearance by Yoda boring. 

I judge movies by 3 criteria 

1) did it make me feel or think?.  I felt nothing. Nobody cheered when Luke appeared, nobody booed for kylo. What made star wars special was its the only movie I've ever seen where the audience cheers the characters first onscreen appearance.  the crowd I was with sat in silence when the movie ended. Star wars crowds cheer after the end. 

2) did I become aware my seat is uncomfortable?. You. 45 minutes in. I was never engaged by this career vehicle  for Johnson. 

3) did I wonder how long before the movie ends? Yup. During the stupid master coder in a Las Vegas cantina plot

I get that Disney is trying to anchor in a new generation, that's business, but they could have given the original generation a decent story to go out with. 

Now jj will remake return of the jedi, medal ceremony and all, and a death sun, and the shame of it is I don't give a sh*t. 

image.png

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

image.png

You know I'm right. Johnson made the 1998 Godzilla of star wars movies. 

Tried to be cute and clever and wound up making a movie that will be given the "that one didn't count" treatment. 

So Luke Skywalk saw the good in Vader, a guy who killed younglings, but sees darkness in kylo and tries to kill him in his sleep? 

Thank God rose didn't have a crush on Luke or she would have prevented him from blowing up the death star and given him a lecture on blowing things up 

I heard the script for his next movie includes fin sucking an egg out of a space chicken and poe asks kylo if he has prince Albert in a can 

Really edgy stuff, bold hip happening decisions 

Archived