The board communication thread

The Crusher

Max is trying to address the issues with the board.  He will use this thread to communicate that and answer questions.  He sent me this PM 9 hours ago.

Crush - I spent time this weekend looking into all of our options on the forum. Moving the site is a possibility but it is a big project with no guarantees. There are ways that we can test it out but I have even better news. Rhett from IPB let me know that the CEO of Invision the current forum company would be contacting me directly. 

I heard from the CEO, he was great and they are taking the issues seriously. They invited me to a private QA chat group \ focus group with their QA and development teams. Sounds like they are going to put in a new editor in 4.1.9 or 4.1.10 in hopes of fixing the quote issue forever. I am encouraged by this and said I will give them as much feedback as possible.

Stay tuned, I hope to have it fixed soon.

Thanks,
Phil

Thank you for your patience! 4.1 was supposed to make life better and that didn't happen. I know that Invision is committed to fixing this at the highest levels, so that is great news.

We will keep you posted but know that we love having this forum here. And we will get these issues with quoting sorted out.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

Quoting is still wonky.

When I quote someone and, say, change my mind I can't just backspace and delete the quote I have to use the source button and remove all the html manually.

super super annoying 

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

Quoting is still wonky.

When I quote someone and, say, change my mind I can't just backspace and delete the quote I have to use the source button and remove all the html manually.

@Maxman

tbh, this is the worst part and compounds the first problem (old quotes showing up), on phone in particular its such a pain in the ass to delete the quotes , if you could just highlight and delete it would be so much easier. On my iPhone it usually takes quite a few tries to get select all to show up because it's Hank and several times I've just ended up holding backspace for a few minutes like an idiot 

Yesterday, I quoted JF80, and added a response, then submitted it and it appeared. No problem, right?

Except, every time I tried to create another response through the rest of the day, it would pre-populate with that same quote and response to JF80, then I'd have to click on the 4-point arrow to delete the quote, then select my written response to delete it, before I could type anything new.

Needless to say, that's not a good experience.

59 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yesterday, I quoted JF80, and added a response, then submitted it and it appeared. No problem, right?

Except, every time I tried to create another response through the rest of the day, it would pre-populate with that same quote and response to JF80, then I'd have to click on the 4-point arrow to delete the quote, then select my written response to delete it, before I could type anything new.

Needless to say, that's not a good experience.

that happens a lot to me too

2 hours ago, CTM said:

happened several times to me as well

ive not noticed an improvement yet 

Was just checking. The biggest change was I took down all the ads. I hadn't seen an issue on my end since I did that. So I was wondering if that was causing the problem.

So in a weird way, I am glad it wasn't the issue. They 4.1.9 stuff is coming soon, I will get a timeline on it.....thanks for your patience.

It used to be when you quoted someone, it gave the date and time of their post. Now it says something like "6 hours ago." In mafia, sometimes we like to know how far apart posts were, so it would be great if it went back to the old way. 

46 minutes ago, Lily said:

It used to be when you quoted someone, it gave the date and time of their post. Now it says something like "6 hours ago." In mafia, sometimes we like to know how far apart posts were, so it would be great if it went back to the old way. 

Great minds think alike. I came into the thread to mention this specifically. 

I just wish we had more control over what we post. All these fancy buttons and whatnot are fine but if I want something to be bold I'm used to typing the bold tags manually and that goes for most of the other things you can do as well. Italics, underlining, quoting, linking, etc. Every update on every site I've been to seems like they're more and more forcing you to use these things the way they want you to use. It's no longer optional. I guess that's progress.

I miss most of all being able to open quotes in separate tabs and easily being able to cut and paste them together into one post. If you try to open a quote in a new tab it just takes you back to the same page because the only place you can type now is this reply box. I kind of understand why since that was just an extra page that many people didn't use and wasn't needed but I used it as a way to collect quotes and my thoughts and watch a thread progress through the thread preview. And I'd use the preview post button on average 10 times before posting a post with more than 3 quotes. I don't know if other people did things like that but there was a lot of utility in the "more reply options" page for me.

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

I just wish we had more control over what we post. All these fancy buttons and whatnot are fine but if I want something to be bold I'm used to typing the bold tags manually and that goes for most of the other things you can do as well. Italics, underlining, quoting, linking, etc. Every update on every site I've been to seems like they're more and more forcing you to use these things the way they want you to use. It's no longer optional. I guess that's progress.

I miss most of all being able to open quotes in separate tabs and easily being able to cut and paste them together into one post. If you try to open a quote in a new tab it just takes you back to the same page because the only place you can type now is this reply box. I kind of understand why since that was just an extra page that many people didn't use and wasn't needed but I used it as a way to collect quotes and my thoughts and watch a thread progress through the thread preview. And I'd use the preview post button on average 10 times before posting a post with more than 3 quotes. I don't know if other people did things like that but there was a lot of utility in the "more reply options" page for me.

Yes, to all of this.

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Great minds think alike. I came into the thread to mention this specifically. 

If you hover over where it says "Posted 2 hours ago" or whatever it tells you exactly when the post was submitted. So that function is still there just a little hidden.

4 hours ago, Lily said:

Thanks, Nol. That will work, although I still like the old way better. 

Yeah. It's just meant to make things look "cleaner" and more streamlined. 

For whatever reason people who design websites always tend towards a minimalist style over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to check in to let everyone know I didn't forget about these issues. :)

I am in pretty much daily contact with IPS and their developers. I have reported a few bugs, like the smilies not working right now when you click the smilie button. But I hope to have really good news soon.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Just wanted to check in to let everyone know I didn't forget about these issues. :)

I am in pretty much daily contact with IPS and their developers. I have reported a few bugs, like the smilies not working right now when you click the smilie button. But I hope to have really good news soon.

Thanks!

thanks Max.. another issue is below, it's important in mafia to be able to see time between posts. We used to get specific time stamps in quotes and somewhere along the way it changed to a very vague "x hours ago" which just doesn't meet the needs of the game. Anyway to change it back?

eQQFW9o.png

Update: They just released a new version for QA testing. We can't upgrade yet because it is made for testing. But that means that in a week or so we should have a version to upgrade to. I am going to get feedback on it, then we can decide when to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived