Snacks wants to stay a Jet; Says he's not money-hungry

BroadwayJets

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58485/jets-nt-damon-harrison-says-all-hopes-point-to-a-return

Pending free agent Damon Harrison wants to remain with the New York Jets, and he's hopeful that will happen.

"I just really want to be a part of something special and I think we should be able to get something done," the big nose tackle said Tuesday in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio. "If not, I understand it's a business and they'll do what's best for them on the business side, as will I.

"But all hopes point to me coming back here, which I definitely want to do."

Obviously, the two sides are negotiating. The Jets have exclusive negotiating rights until March 7, when the "legal tampering" period begins. Free agency commences March 9.

Coach Todd Bowles made it clear at the end of the season that he wants to retain Harrison, one of four defensive starters who could be free agents. The others are Muhammad Wilkerson, Demario Davis and Calvin Pace. Wilkerson is expected to get the franchise tag.

Harrison said he's "not a money-hungry type of player," adding, "I love winning more than I love money." He figures to command a deal that will pay him at least $5 million a year.

___________________________________________________________________-

In 1996 the NFL Salary Cap was $40.7 million. In 2016 it is expected to be about $153 million. 20 years, 376% increase. Ka-ching.

With the cap continuing to rise and if Snacks really values winning over money, I don't see why we can't get a deal done. I'm very aware of Snacks being primarily a 2-down player, but he's a huge reason why we were forcing so many 3rd and longs. That said, I don't think "at least $5 million a year" will do it. I think deal with high % guarantees and an average of around $6.5-7.5 million a year could do the trick if Maccagnan sees a Snacks return as worth it.

I personally believe he will walk, but we will see shortly.

As endearing as Harrison's story is, his position Is not one of premium salary priority. Easily replaceable wthout investing BIG $$$ or premium draft pick on.

we have shown, time & again, that a 3-4 NG merely needs to be a BIG body willing to take the blows to keep our LBs free & clear to make the tackles. When we had a high performing defense under the 3-4, our roster consisted of NGs easily acquired: Ernie Logan (9th Rnd pick in '91 by ATL) played '97-'01 , Jason Ferguson (7th Rndr in '97) played '97-'04, S. Pouha 3rd Rnd '05-'12, Kris Jenkins was A BEAST EXCEPTION which cost us a 3rd & 5 and played only 2008 & 2009. Snacks took over in 2013. While UDFA MAMMOTH TJ Barnes was being groomed to take over when Snacks left up until Rex poached him on Dec 1st 2015.

histoy has shown that these "big bodied fatties" merely need to do the dirty work of occupying 2 blockers in a 3-4 scheme and ARE EASILY REPLACEABLE. If you care about the team WINNING, the  you MUST RECOGNIZE that the NG position is not a position  worth spending g a premium penny on. Plain & simple.

i love and <3 Harrison as much as any other Jets fan here, but he is a simply collateral damage in the business of NFL and most likely easily replaceable by our 7th round pick in '15 Dion Simon. That's the beauty of the 3-4, you just need another body to surfeit the role of "taking the beating" in order to free up the LBing playmakers.

The $$ has to go to Mo and Snacks, if he wants to win, MUST recognize he's the lunch pail sewage tank cleaner who sacrifices his ego for the greater good: unfortunate reality of the business if he TRULY wants to just win a ring. He should get more, but the reality of the business is that he won't because his position is the equivalent of chum scrubber: plenty of others willing to do it cheaper if given the opportunity.  For a guy who played at W&M, anything over $2.5/annum from the 3rd ward can't complain; and if he did, plenty others willing to step in his place. Sad but true, welcome to capitalism, where Bernie is merely ignorant bliss,

I'd love to have him stay at $5 mill per if that could get done. He makes a bigger impact than a lot of people seem to realize, as he is not merely a space-eater, and that would be a fair amount for what he brings to the table. Just my two cents.

I think Mac's early offseason comments about how "in a perfect world" they would keep Harrison is very telling. If it is true he turned down 3/15 in the past, he's probably gone. Nice player to have if you can't stop the run, but a guy who isn't on the field half the time is not worth a big money extension.

I'm probably reaching here, but could it be that if Snacks does give a "home team discount" to stay, it might put a bit more pressure on Mo to do the same, at least to a degree? I've never seen Mo as a me-first, take the money and run guy, he stays pretty quiet (probably because he can't get a word in with Sheldon around).

At your Job, would you tell your Boss you don't want the most money you could make because what he/she's offering is fair enough .  Why do we as fans criticize these players for trying to make as much as they can, yet make statements like  I would never let my Kid play football knowing the risk . 

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

At your Job, would you tell your Boss you don't want the most money you could make because what he/she's offering is fair enough .  Why do we as fans criticize these players for trying to make as much as they can, yet make statements like  I would never let my Kid play football knowing the risk . 

I could move job and get more money if I chose to. But my current job has other things about it - close to home, flexible hours so I can make time for family - that I'd have to sacrifice if I went elsewhere.

I realise it's not quite the same for football players, but there will be considerations beyond just pure $$$. At least for some guys.

40 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I'm probably reaching here, but could it be that if Snacks does give a "home team discount" to stay, it might put a bit more pressure on Mo to do the same, at least to a degree? I've never seen Mo as a me-first, take the money and run guy, he stays pretty quiet (probably because he can't get a word in with Sheldon around).

If hometown discount is $2m to maaaaybe 5m, like what it will probably cost to replace him in FA, that would be convenient.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I am at a position currently where I am not making the most that I can make.  the situation is right for me so it is possible and does happen.

8 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I think Mac's early off season comments about how "in a perfect world" they would keep Harrison is very telling. If it is true he turned down 3/15 in the past, he's probably gone. Nice player to have if you can't stop the run, but a guy who isn't on the field half (more like one third) the time is not worth a big money extension.

These are pretty telling observations.....seems snacks is leaving.  

Archived