.. 1 year Later,.. Revis ~ ~ ~

kelly

It didn’t matter how much money it took. Heck, a portion of the franchise wasn’t off the table.

With New York having roughly $60 million in available funds last year, a hole at cornerback, and Darrelle Revis sitting out there on the open market, near anyone associated with the team wanted the Jets to get No. 24 back in Florham Park.And ‘whatever it took’ meant handing out one of the richest contracts ever given to a cornerback.Now a year later, what exactly does that deal look like ? Let’s break down exactly how much New York’s highest-paid player is getting over the length of his new deal.

Please note, all figures courtesy of OverTheCap.com.

Last season was the first time in his career Revis really showed signs of slowing down. Was he bad? Absolutely not. He was still one of the five best cornerbacks in the game, but he wasn’t the best cornerback in the game.Revis this coming season will likely be a step below the one from last year, and so on and so forth. With the undeniable decline as the seven-time Pro Bowler gets older, questions have started flooding into the minds of some wondering when exactly the Jets can get out from underneath Revis’ deal.

So, when exactly can the Jets get out from the deal? Here’s the situation :

On the outside, Revis’ contract with the Jets is for five years and pays the cornerback $70 million if he plays out the entirety of that contract– a rarity in today’s NFL. The deal also includes $39 million guaranteed.Again, that’s the outside, or the general outline of the contract. Let’s dive a bit more into the details.Last season, Revis was paid a base salary entirely guaranteed of $16 million. That was the richest deal of any Jets player. This season, he’s set to make even more money.If Revis is on the Jets roster this coming season, he’ll be paid $17 million. It’s highly, highly likely he will get paid that, as if he’s released, the Jets will incur $25 million in dead money.

This season was the first time Revis began to show weaknesses in his game

Where things start to get a bit lighter for the Jets in regards to Revis’ contract is from 2017 on. In two years, Revis’ cap hit drops to its lowest since he signed the deal at $15.33 million. That includes $333,333 “prorated,” and a $2 million roster bonus. This is the first year the Jets could, theoretically, manage to get out from the contract. If released in 2017, the team would still endure a cap penalty of $8 million, but they’d free $7 million.Come 2018, that’s really when Revis becomes expendable, which makes sense, the cornerback would be 33. In 2018, Revis will have a cap hit of $10.89 million, but if cut, have just a $1.66 million cap penalty. He’d free $9.227 million. A year later in 2019, the deal is essentially the same: Revis will have a $10.893 million cap hit, free $10.06 million if cut, and incur a cap penalty/dead money of just $833,334.

So, what’s all this mean ?

In all likelihood, the Jets are going to have to sit on this Revis deal for the next two years to see how things pan out. It’s also highly unlikely the team restructures his contract.Why? Because it just doesn’t make sense.Right now, the Jets have a legitimate “out” after two more seasons. If the team pays him his $17 million this year, and $15 million next year, come 2018, they can cut Revis and owe him just $1.66 million. If the Jets were to restructure his deal, suddenly that goes away.Sure, Revis’ cap hit this year goes down, but the money he’s owed simply gets pushed back, not erased. What that means is come 2018, it will cost the Jets more to cut a 33-year-old Revis, rather than keep him.

It’s unlikely Revis is going anywhere for at least two seasons

is it less than ideal to pay Revis $32 million these next two seasons? Sure. But it’s not nearly as not-ideal as paying a 33-year-old Revis additional money simply to free a couple extra bucks this year.For better or for worse, Revis will undoubtedly be on New York’s roster for the next two seasons.The Jets wanted Revis last offseason. Now they’ve got him for theforeseeable future.

>      http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/17/a-year-later-breaking-down-darrelle-revis-jets-contract/

Pretty greedy of Mo not to take a contract close to this.  Tag number for DB is just a little lower then DE so the deals should be pretty close.

Add a 5th year at $20 mil and say its five years $80 mil with $39 mil guaranteed.   I don't think anyone would think thats unfare.

But Mo is greedy and thats why he will be tagged and traded.

how can you call Mo greedy when no offer has been made?  from everything i've seen and heard, Mo's been a good little soldier for the Jets - not sitting out practices or training camp, saying all the right things to the media, etc.  when revis wanted his money, what'd he do?

7 minutes ago, heymangold said:

how can you call Mo greedy when no offer has been made?  from everything i've seen and heard, Mo's been a good little soldier for the Jets - not sitting out practices or training camp, saying all the right things to the media, etc.  when revis wanted his money, what'd he do?

He sat out all last off season BTW.

Look, maybe your right and the team has not offered him anything close.  I just don't believe that.

On 2/18/2016 at 2:38 PM, Joe Jets fan said:

He sat out all last off season BTW.

Look, maybe your right and the team has not offered him anything close.  I just don't believe that.

he sat out OTA's, a voluntary program.  don't try to compare mo to revis when it comes to contract talk.

What Revis provided the Jets was needed leadership on defense. But it's possible he will never be the same after his injury in terms of being able to shut down receivers. There's a new group of young Wrs in the NFL who he (and everyone else) can't cover man to man. Guys like Hopkins, etc. Revis is greatly overpaid and much of his salary is guaranteed. And you know he's not the kind of guy who would except a restructuring down. To me giving him that deal was basically Woody caving in to fans and the press after a bad year and criticism of the secondary. It's not my money so I don't care the owner is just getting what he deserves for meddling. I honestly don't think that signing was Mac's idea at all. 

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I am much more worried that Richardson is going to be greedy when it comes time to give him a contract than Wilkerson.

Greedy?  I don't look at it like that.  It's a negotiation.  These guys will get cut as soon as their performance drops off.  I have no issue w/ them trying to maximize their earnings while they can.  Obviously from a fan's perspective it hurts to lose a good player on your favorite team.  But for these guys it's their livelihood and they only have this earning power for a short time.  I never was upset at Revis (or John Abraham for sitting out) for stuff like this.  Besides is it really greed if someone is willing to pay them a certain amount?

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Greedy?  I don't look at it like that.  It's a negotiation.  These guys will get cut as soon as their performance drops off.  I have no issue w/ them trying to maximize their earnings while they can.  Obviously from a fan's perspective it hurts to lose a good player on your favorite team.  But for these guys it's their livelihood and they only have this earning power for a short time.  I never was upset at Revis (or John Abraham for sitting out) for stuff like this.  Besides is it really greed if someone is willing to pay them a certain amount?

It is if they have a current contract and expect a big payday before they fulfill their obligation. Wilkerson sat out the offseason because he wanted a new contract last season before his contract ran up and I could see Richardson being worse. To ask for the money they can get somewhere else is not greedy I do agree with you and unfortunately I think their agents play a big role in making some of these players look this way.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

It is if they have a current contract and expect a big payday before they fulfill their obligation. Wilkerson sat out the offseason because he wanted a new contract last season before his contract ran up and I could see Richardson being worse. To ask for the money they can get somewhere else is not greedy I do agree with you and unfortunately I think their agents play a big role in making some of these players look this way.

I hear you but not sure I even agree on that.  Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like the NFL gives the players the least security of the major sports in terms of guarantees.  I think Revis played his hand perfectly and if I'm Richardson I would absolutely try to follow that script too.

But why not hold out and try to renegotiate if you're a player?  If you're a good enough player it tends to be a lucrative move.  I look at it as if it's just part of the whole signing/keeping players thing.

Archived