Sign in to follow this  
BroadwayJets

Early Departure Thread

Did you see the dead money on cutting Butler? $18.69m! OUCH!!!

10 minutes ago, hawk said:

That is not correct.  There is a $12 Million dollar option that that includes.  He is due a cap hit of $9 Million and change, so this not only saves them a from writing a check for $12 Million, it should save them some cap hit.  IIRC.

I got that straight from NFL.com ...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641038/article/donald-butler-released-by-san-diego-chargers

The move creates $9.41 million in cap space for San Diego, but also saddles the Chargers with $18.69 million in dead money. Just two years after signing a lucrative seven-year, $51.8 million contract, Butler faded down the stretch in 2015.

1 minute ago, hawk said:

You can't create space if you have more dead money than cap hit.  You can push it back with a Post June 1st designation, but they are not accounting for the option bonus.  IMO.

According to overthecap.com his dead money hit is $6.69m, so that would tie up with your numbers above. I guess NFL.com must have got it wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

With all these DE cuts and DL value/talent in the 2016 draft, THERE will be no PREMIUM PAID in the market for Mo. Sucks for us and I hope he realizes he'll make more with the Jets by signing LongTerm.

Or he may just play out his tag this year, pocket the near $16m, and look to hit the market next year.

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

In theory and in an ideal world.

Yet a 29 year old DE (his age for the '17 season) a year removed from a broken leg that required surgery won't find the BIG JJWatt contract he's looking for in the open market in '17- especially with this year's STRONG DL class. He simply won't find the FAT CONTRACT he's rumored to be looking for; the new CBA makes younger talent SOOOO much cheaper.  Jets have apparently offered Mo for some time and there are no takers because, IMO and unlike other idiots who post here & starred in TropicThunder :-), he's OVERVALUING himself. I want him as a Jet for life, but not at the pretty penny HE THINKS He's worth. 

Hell, Jets could even sabotage and diminish his 2017 FA market value by playing Williams, Richardson & Simon + whomever DL drafted in '16 more than Mo. No sense in doing that since you're paying $16M for the year, but HARDBALL is hardball. 

He'll only turn 28 during the 2017 season (born 22nd Oct 1989)

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company