Jets Cut Cromartie

BroadwayJets

Just now, bealeb319 said:

Because he is now coming off of a Jets roster. Last season Rex was scooping players up as we cut them.

Well thats what most newly hired HCs do, sign players they had before.  Has nothing to do other than they know the players.  

Can say that its one of the reasons Bowles probably was all in on signing Cro a year ago.  

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't a bad signing.  There is no dead money on the cap from his release, and he started all year and played a strong 2nd half of the season after a poor start do to injury.  That said they are deep at CB, and I think next year's starter is already on the roster.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well thats what most newly hired HCs do, sign players they had before.  Has nothing to do other than they know the players.  

Can say that its one of the reasons Bowles probably was all in on signing Cro a year ago.  

There is also the philosophy of making yourself better by making your compatition weaker. Jets very well might be looking to resign him at a lesser cost he does have depth value and from a team chemistry stand point there is I believe greater value.

3 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

There is also the philosophy of making yourself better by making your compatition weaker. Jets very well might be looking to resign him at a lesser cost he does have depth value and from a team chemistry stand point there is I believe greater value.

I dont think anyone with the Jets is worried that hes going to anywhere else, especially the Bills.  Hes already Tweeted that he wants to come back to us, loves everything about the team as we all know.  And again, the Bills dont need him, if Rex wants to waste a roster spot over a backup we may or want, go for it.

I would bet if all he gets are low level offers he retires, unless its from us.

He wasn't worth $8M for two years. We'd have been better off letting someone younger on the field all season long.

This awful signing was 100% on Bowles, who is loyal to "his" guys to a fault, and wouldn't remove him from the field unless he was injured, no matter how badly he played. Absent Bowles, there's no chance whatsoever that Maccagnan signs Cromartie. It seems the only way he could get Cromartie to agree to a deal that makes him cuttable after 1 season was to grossly overpay him for his worth for that one season, cross one's fingers and hope for the best.

Just a moronic signing and a horrible waste of cap space. Just remember if Wilkerson is $2M more than Maccagnan's line in the sand, this is where that $2M/year x 4 years went.  Ditto any player we woulda/coulda signed. A $5M RT player on the OL instead of a $7M player; making a hold-the-fort contract for Fitzpatrick easier to rationalize; you name it. All for 1 season of a has-been so we could keep 2-3 young CBs, in need of on-field experience, on the bench.

Just stewpid stewpid stewpid.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont think anyone with the Jets is worried that hes going to anywhere else, especially the Bills.  Hes already Tweeted that he wants to come back to us, loves everything about the team as we all know.  And again, the Bills dont need him, if Rex wants to waste a roster spot over a backup we may or want, go for it.

I would bet if all he gets are low level offers he retires, unless its from us.

Totally agree. My point was in general as to why any organization would sign another's free agents or cap casualties.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He wasn't worth $8M for two years. We'd have been better off letting someone younger on the field all season long.

This awful signing was 100% on Bowles, who is loyal to "his" guys to a fault, and wouldn't remove him from the field unless he was injured, no matter how badly he played. Absent Bowles, there's no chance whatsoever that Maccagnan signs Cromartie. It seems the only way he could get Cromartie to agree to a deal that makes him cuttable after 1 season was to grossly overpay him for his worth for that one season, cross one's fingers and hope for the best.

Just a moronic signing and a horrible waste of cap space. Just remember if Wilkerson is $2M more than Maccagnan's line in the sand, this is where that $2M/year x 4 years went.  Ditto any player we woulda/coulda signed. A $5M RT player on the OL instead of a $7M player; making a hold-the-fort contract for Fitzpatrick easier to rationalize; you name it. All for 1 season of a has-been so we could keep 2-3 young CBs, in need of on-field experience, on the bench.

Agreed Cro was a mistake, but we had much more hits then miss.

Fitz, Marshall, hits. Revis was solid. Cro was over paid by a couple mill. I want to see Williams start. 

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What? I thought Rex was the one the plays his guys to a fault; now Bowles - it is like a conspiracy; or maybe he was the second best outside CB we had.

As far as the 8M wasted; if not Cromartie, we likely would have signed another CB in the 3-5 million range, so there is only 3-5 left. Also, the cap is complicated so you have to spend so much over a certain period, and there are limits to how much you can carry over (I think).

But sure, Bowles sucks; Macc got burned :-)

Even if everything you said was true; we had some hits and misses; young guys got playing time (as there were injuries) and we had an okay season; build through the draft but try and win in the meantime - I was okay with that. Hopefully next year will be even better.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I had the same issue when Rex was here: you sign a coach who's supposed to be a defensive guru, but then you go out and pool all your resources into the one area that the coach's talents are supposed to supplement. With Rex it was DL, with Bowles it's DBs. He had Revis and a bunch of draft pick DBs on the roster already. Go make it work. 

rex was known to favor DB's as well... could never have enough

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

What? I thought Rex was the one the plays his guys to a fault; now Bowles - it is like a conspiracy; or maybe he was the second best outside CB we had.

As far as the 8M wasted; if not Cromartie, we likely would have signed another CB in the 3-5 million range, so there is only 3-5 left. Also, the cap is complicated so you have to spend so much over a certain period, and there are limits to how much you can carry over (I think).

But sure, Bowles sucks; Macc got burned :-)

Even if everything you said was true; we had some hits and misses; young guys got playing time (as there were injuries) and we had an okay season; build through the draft but try and win in the meantime - I was okay with that. Hopefully next year will be even better.

Both coaches did and do. And Cromartie was 100% on Bowles. Also there was no need to sign another FA CB with three young ones on the roster. Every CB doesn't need to be a multimillion dollar FA. Particularly (as was mentioned earlier in this thread) for a coach who's supposed to be able to coach up younger players instead of relying only on high priced FAs and high draft picks to make him good at his area of expertise.

I know plenty about the cap and this signing was completely unnecessary, gross overpayment, and purely done as a "let's let the coach pick one himself" like Tannenbaum/Idzik used to waste in giving Ryan 1 draft pick per year.  There's no great mystery to the salary cap and it is not really that complicated. If you concerned about, and want to get around "must spend" money, then one simple way is to renegotiate with someone already locked up who you know you want to keep longer, so you front-load his contract more now to clear up space in the future. There are other things to do, but however it's done, all $8M of that could have been pushed to the future. 

Plus it's easy to look "good" on balance when you're burning through some $50M in new FA salaries in one offseason. It's hard to look that good when you've got a fraction of that. That's when you know if you've got a top GM or just a high bidder with money to burn. 

Signing him was foolish. Hopefully Maccagnan learns from his worst first-year mistake(s) - and I'm very hopeful he will - now that he's seen the result. 

With Cro cut, Gang Green is sitting at 21 mil under the cap. Cutting Breno, Kerley, and Cumberland would put us close to 30mil under the cap. Re-structuring D'Brick could have us sitting in a position to sign back all of our boys AND a top tier free agent. 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

2 things wrong with this .   Cromartie was signed by Maccagnan after being cut by Idzik who was the GM that signed Marcus Williams off the scrap heap .  Could it be possible that Idzik would never had signed Cro and allowed Williams to be the starting CB  . Idzik was also the GM who saved all that cap space that Maccags spent last yr to revamp the team's defense .

Maybe, just maybe that buffoon had a plan after all.

He had a plan, and executed part of it.  But also alienated a lot of people, and didn't do the best draft..

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yea, I agree. to be fair though Cro had a decent season with Bowels in Arizona.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Both coaches did and do. And Cromartie was 100% on Bowles. Also there was no need to sign another FA CB with three young ones on the roster. Every CB doesn't need to be a multimillion dollar FA. Particularly (as was mentioned earlier in this thread) for a coach who's supposed to be able to coach up younger players instead of relying only on high priced FAs and high draft picks to make him good at his area of expertise.

I know plenty about the cap and this signing was completely unnecessary, gross overpayment, and purely done as a "let's let the coach pick one himself" like Tannenbaum/Idzik used to waste in giving Ryan 1 draft pick per year.  There's no great mystery to the salary cap and it is not really that complicated. If you concerned about, and want to get around "must spend" money, then one simple way is to renegotiate with someone already locked up who you know you want to keep longer, so you front-load his contract more now to clear up space in the future. There are other things to do, but however it's done, all $8M of that could have been pushed to the future. 

Plus it's easy to look "good" on balance when you're burning through some $50M in new FA salaries in one offseason. It's hard to look that good when you've got a fraction of that. That's when you know if you've got a top GM or just a high bidder with money to burn. 

Signing him was foolish. Hopefully Maccagnan learns from his worst first-year mistake(s) - and I'm very hopeful he will - now that he's seen the result. 

Agree to disagree; Williams didn't shine when he was a starter as much as when he went in as an extra DB; Shrine is best in the slot. Maybe with the extra experience we have a good replacement. But, rolling the dice on Cromartie for a first time HC, first time DB where CB play is critical is an easy call. Ether way, someone would have to take the slot, and unless it is a rookie even the minimum is some money. No coach/GM is going to be perfect and a one year deal didn't really hurt anyone and gave a first time coach a quality CB (who was clearly hurt in the beginning) who knew the scheme and supported the coach. Easy call.

23 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

With Cro cut, Gang Green is sitting at 21 mil under the cap. Cutting Breno, Kerley, and Cumberland would put us close to 30mil under the cap. Re-structuring D'Brick could have us sitting in a position to sign back all of our boys AND a top tier free agent. 

You started out so well >   

1 hour ago, Bocajetfan said:

Totally agree. My point was in general as to why any organization would sign another's free agents or cap casualties.

Yes, you're right I agree.  Sometimes it's just as much a negative to your competition as it is an addition to your own roster. 

41 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Exactly, If Cro keeps up his usual mantra he will be in the pro bowl next season lmao

That mantra is injured and played poorly in 13.  Healthy for all of 14 and played well.  Injured early in 15 and struggled.  Played decent ball when he got his health back. 

If you can insure he'll avoid the injury bug next year, go for it

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That mantra is injured and played poorly in 13.  Healthy for all of 14 and played well.  Injured early in 15 and struggled.  Played decent ball when he got his health back. 

If you can insure he'll avoid the injury bug next year, go for it

You must not know that cro is known for having a good season, then bad one?

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cro's biggest problem with the Jets was that he played alongside one of the greatest cover corners in NFL history. Sure that usually meant he got some more help, but he also got targeted more often and was never going to look good playing next to a guy that was as good Revis. I wouldn't mind taking him back for peanuts, but his time has a high end corner is over. 

Patrick Peterson wasn't bad either. Yet, Cro decided to suck in NY and not in Arizona. He sucked. Revis or not. Landry and Beckham made him their b*tch without Revis.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Patrick Peterson wasn't bad either. Yet, Cro decided to suck in NY and not in Arizona. He sucked. Revis or not. Landry and Beckham made him their b*tch without Revis.

Actually, Landry and Beckham had their big gains mostly against Skrine. Cro was bad for the most part of the first half of the season. He seemed to turn it around in the middle and towards the end. I think he was hurt for parts of the season and never let on. 

Like I've mentioned before, Dee Milliner's contract kind of forces the Jets to move on from Cromartie.  You can only tie up so much money at one position.  Maybe Maccagnan makes a lowball offer and Cro accepts it to stay with his family that permanently resides in NJ, but Cro has 2 new mouths to feed so he probably needs to take the money elsewhere.  Plus if his wife's twitter account is any indication, she appreciates some "alone time," she had this rant about Cro being at home too much during the offseason.

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Actually, Landry and Beckham had their big gains mostly against Skrine. Cro was bad for the most part of the first half of the season. He seemed to turn it around in the middle and towards the end. I think he was hurt for parts of the season and never let on. 

He stunk most of the season. Landry and Beckham both burned him several times.

29 minutes ago, j4jets said:

He stunk most of the season. Landry and Beckham both burned him several times.

Jarvis Landry is almost exclusively in the slot. Beckham's big catch and run came against Skrine in the slot. Cro was very bad and you can blame him for a ton. Also, the Jets won both of those games. 

Could Antonio Cromartie return to the Jets for a third time?

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the Jets are not against bringing back Cromartie, who was released Monday in a widely expected money-saving move. The source said the team is “leaving the door open” for a return.

The source asked not to be identified because he isn’t authorized to speak on behalf of the Jets.

10 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cro's biggest problem with the Jets was that he played alongside one of the greatest cover corners in NFL history. Sure that usually meant he got some more help, but he also got targeted more often and was never going to look good playing next to a guy that was as good Revis. I wouldn't mind taking him back for peanuts, but his time has a high end corner is over. 

Baloney.  Revis ALWAYS checked the #1 WR, thus allowing Cro to check the #2.  If he was 'elite' as he thinks, then he should have had no trouble shutting down the opposing team's #2.  Fact is, he was overrated and was never really a very good corner to begin with.   

Archived