Jets Cut Cromartie

BroadwayJets

11 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

1. Cro (especially when healthy) had a pretty good year

2. Even with Cro getting beat the defense played pretty well

3. Sure, he can coach up the young, but it takes more than 2 minutes (let's just play Petty - why even sign Fitz - what a waste - they should just coach him up)

4. 8 million for a good CB is not ridiculous - sure compare him to harvin if you want, but it is a stretch; he probably wanted the 8 million for a year rental deal

5. Hindsight is 20/20, but still not a bad plan considering the number of DBs that were hurt last year.

6. Yeah, just play the youngsters; then when the Jets are 1-6 whine that Bowles can't win; it takes a while to train up players; just imagine the outrage when the young secondary is getting beat with Cro on the bench - you thought the whining we had to deal with when Kerley didn't get to play. Too funny.

Cro was too expensive to keep; I don't have a problem with that, but to go back and over analyze this one move is just silly. Look what happened to the Rex defense when he didn't have enough players from his system this year. There is a reason coaches take players (even past prime and not great - Scott, Leanard) when they go to a new team. Knowledge of the scheme and getting the locker room to buy in is just as important as play making skills. You can't always just plug a new guy in and everything works.

1. Cro did not have a pretty good year. He had a couple of good half games here and there. So did others. Even when healthy and even when he knew all week long he had to watch out for double moves from his assignment, he still got juked on that very type of move. When healthy. In a crucial game and situation.

2. If the defense played well with him getting beat then he was unnecessary, which was my point. He was unnecessary.

3. I don't know what this means. Petty was a 4th round rookie project. It bears no relation to the 3 CBs the Jets had.

4. $8M for a good CB is not ridiculous but Cromartie is not a good CB therefore it was ridiculous. If that's what he wanted and that was his line in the sand then let someone else be the foolish one to sign him at that dopey rate.

5. It's not hindsight if you hated it the minute it was announced for the same reasons that you're referring to as hindsight.

7. Why the hell would we be 1-6 with "only" $30M committed to the secondary instead of $38M? You think Bowles is that bad of a coach?

Cro was more than just too expensive to keep; he was too expensive to sign in the first place. Even if I can afford $50 for a pack of gum it's still too expensive for a pack of gum. $8M was and is too expensive for Cromartie. 

The analogy to Ryan's defense is a poor one. With all his faults, Ryan's defense didn't fully fall apart until the entire secondary was depleted, not because he "only" had a secondary with the likes of Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist, Pryor, Williams, Milliner, and McDougle. It's a poor suggestion that a secondary like that is suspect but would be a force to be reckoned with if they had all that plus a noticeably past his prime Cromartie.

JMO. Actually not. It was a lot of fans' opinions back in March when he was re-signed.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. Cro did not have a pretty good year. He had a couple of good half games here and there. So did others. Even when healthy and even when he knew all week long he had to watch out for double moves from his assignment, he still got juked on that very type of move. When healthy. In a crucial game and situation.

2. If the defense played well with him getting beat then he was unnecessary, which was my point. He was unnecessary.

3. I don't know what this means. Petty was a 4th round rookie project. It bears no relation to the 3 CBs the Jets had.

4. $8M for a good CB is not ridiculous but Cromartie is not a good CB therefore it was ridiculous. If that's what he wanted and that was his line in the sand then let someone else be the foolish one to sign him at that dopey rate.

5. It's not hindsight if you hated it the minute it was announced for the same reasons that you're referring to as hindsight.

7. Why the hell would we be 1-6 with "only" $30M committed to the secondary instead of $38M? You think Bowles is that bad of a coach?

Cro was more than just too expensive to keep; he was too expensive to sign in the first place. Even if I can afford $50 for a pack of gum it's still too expensive for a pack of gum. $8M was and is too expensive for Cromartie. 

The analogy to Ryan's defense is a poor one. With all his faults, Ryan's defense didn't fully fall apart until the entire secondary was depleted, not because he "only" had a secondary with the likes of Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist, Pryor, Williams, Milliner, and McDougle. It's a poor suggestion that a secondary like that is suspect but would be a force to be reckoned with if they had all that plus a noticeably past his prime Cromartie.

JMO. Actually not. It was a lot of fans' opinions back in March when he was re-signed.

1. Every CB gets beat; getting beat doesn't make him terrrible/bad; towards the end of the season he played well enough

2. He played well enough for the team to be strong on defense; look how bad it looked without Revis - if Cro was as bad as you say, teams would have scored more against us

3. You stated that Bowles should have played the younger guys; this is an extreme example about a player who has shown flashes isn't necessarily ready to start. It also show that the a coach can 'coach up' a player, but it can take time; IOW at the start of the season, even when cro was hurt, he was likely better than the other players - it took a while for the coach to 'coach them up'.

4. They may have overpaid a bit, but Cro knows the defense and the scheme - see below; he is better than more than you think

5. It may not be hindsight for you, but if you hated the move, then you likely aren't very objective. You hated the move; fine

7. Look how bad we looked when Revis was out; Cro did okay, but the other CBs got burned; we had close games early on, if Cro wasn't there, maybe we still win, maybe we don't. My point is that even when the Jets won, people talked about how Kerley was too good to sit on bench, but you wanted Cro benched for others..

The analogy was to Ryan's defense at Buffalo; without the veterans who knew the scheme and bought into Ryan to back him (like he had at the Jets), he had trouble getting buy in - Cros value was more than just being a good CB.

Good night.

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Trading for Cromartie and pairing him with pre-FA Revis was one of the few clever things the Jets did this decade. The window wasn't open long, but the Jets pissed it away as they do most things.

Speaking of windows, it sucks we didn't get our sh!t together for Buffalo and shift gears going into the playoffs.

Despite a banged-up Ivory and Powell, Jets were pretty healthy going forward and there's no telling who we'll have or not have healthy next season.

10 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

1. Every CB gets beat; getting beat doesn't make him terrrible/bad; towards the end of the season he played well enough

2. He played well enough for the team to be strong on defense; look how bad it looked without Revis - if Cro was as bad as you say, teams would have scored more against us

3. You stated that Bowles should have played the younger guys; this is an extreme example about a player who has shown flashes isn't necessarily ready to start. It also show that the a coach can 'coach up' a player, but it can take time; IOW at the start of the season, even when cro was hurt, he was likely better than the other players - it took a while for the coach to 'coach them up'.

4. They may have overpaid a bit, but Cro knows the defense and the scheme - see below; he is better than more than you think

5. It may not be hindsight for you, but if you hated the move, then you likely aren't very objective. You hated the move; fine

7. Look how bad we looked when Revis was out; Cro did okay, but the other CBs got burned; we had close games early on, if Cro wasn't there, maybe we still win, maybe we don't. My point is that even when the Jets won, people talked about how Kerley was too good to sit on bench, but you wanted Cro benched for others..

The analogy was to Ryan's defense at Buffalo; without the veterans who knew the scheme and bought into Ryan to back him (like he had at the Jets), he had trouble getting buy in - Cros value was more than just being a good CB.

Good night.

1. Cro didn't merely get beat on one play. I was using one play to illustrate a crucial game and situation where he knew exactly what the receiver was going to do and he couldn't stop it. There were plenty of times he got beat, and too often it came on those 3rd downs we seemed to allow to convert too often.

2. The team was strong on defense with Brodney Pool starting also. A year later they fielded a top 5 pass defense while starting Eric Smith. Doesn't mean we would have been smart to pay either one $8M.

3. Everyone is not worse than Cromartie, and unlike Cromartie they get better with time. Inserting them cold here or there, after getting rare/limited snaps with the starters, is not an equal playing field on which one is to judge. This logic is how we end up sticking with Calvin Pace as a starter: fear that someone else might not be as bad as his now substandard play. But hey, the coach "knows" him.

4. They overpaid by more than a bit and I think you are way overrating how difficult it is to learn one scheme over another. Cro is not a smart person. If he can pick it up, so can lots of people. We'd have been better off, in 2015 and beyond, without reacquiring him in the first place.

5. You said it was hindsight. It wasn't hindsight. Disliking a move from the get go, and being proven right, doesn't make me biased or only correct in hindsight. It makes me correct period. Just like many others who felt the same way.

6. You missed this one and need lessons in counting ;) 

7. Revis being out and Cro being out are two separate animals. Revis is a top-notch CB and Cromartie isn't even a top-32 CB. He was once, but not anymore.

Cro's "value" in this regard was also a bad one because of the message it sent. Namely, it served to show other players that if the coach likes you or knows you, then you'll get preferable treatment and a lock on the starting job even if you suck. No one else will be given a legitimate chance until/unless the teacher's pet is so injured he can't suit up. It's bad for morale for a coach to stick his fingers in his ears and find excuses for and to absolve nearly everything his favorite players do poorly, while calling out and/or benching those who aren't his preferred ones and personal favorites.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. Cro didn't merely get beat on one play. I was using one play to illustrate a crucial game and situation where he knew exactly what the receiver was going to do and he couldn't stop it. There were plenty of times he got beat, and too often it came on those 3rd downs we seemed to allow to convert too often.

2. The team was strong on defense with Brodney Pool starting also. A year later they fielded a top 5 pass defense while starting Eric Smith. Doesn't mean we would have been smart to pay either one $8M.

3. Everyone is not worse than Cromartie, and unlike Cromartie they get better with time. Inserting them cold here or there, after getting rare/limited snaps with the starters, is not an equal playing field on which one is to judge. This logic is how we end up sticking with Calvin Pace as a starter: fear that someone else might not be as bad as his now substandard play. But hey, the coach "knows" him.

4. They overpaid by more than a bit and I think you are way overrating how difficult it is to learn one scheme over another. Cro is not a smart person. If he can pick it up, so can lots of people. We'd have been better off, in 2015 and beyond, without reacquiring him in the first place.

5. You said it was hindsight. It wasn't hindsight. Disliking a move from the get go, and being proven right, doesn't make me biased or only correct in hindsight. It makes me correct period. Just like many others who felt the same way.

6. You missed this one and need lessons in counting ;) 

7. Revis being out and Cro being out are two separate animals. Revis is a top-notch CB and Cromartie isn't even a top-32 CB. He was once, but not anymore.

Cro's "value" in this regard was also a bad one because of the message it sent. Namely, it served to show other players that if the coach likes you or knows you, then you'll get preferable treatment and a lock on the starting job even if you suck. No one else will be given a legitimate chance until/unless the teacher's pet is so injured he can't suit up. It's bad for morale for a coach to stick his fingers in his ears and find excuses for and to absolve nearly everything his favorite players do poorly, while calling out and/or benching those who aren't his preferred ones and personal favorites.

Clearly abstract concepts escape you and you can't see the forest from the trees in any of my arguments. So, no point in me responding on where you didn't get my line of reasoning. As for a counting lesson, I simply quoted and copied your mistake and moved on - the difference is that I chose to take the high road and skipped the condescending comment about it. If you want a counting lesson, however, I suggest you go back a look at your comments in this thread and the comments from both myself and other posters opposing your view and count the reputation/likes to see where the board's opinion lies.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Jets coach Todd Bowles said there will be an "open competition" for Antonio Cromartie's old job. He mentioned Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams and Dee Milliner as the leading candidates. Bowles didn't rule out re-signing Cromartie, although that seems unlikely. Said Bowles: "We looked at the tape and after we looked at the tape, he didn't have the greatest year."

7 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Clearly abstract concepts escape you and you can't see the forest from the trees in any of my arguments. So, no point in me responding on where you didn't get my line of reasoning. As for a counting lesson, I simply quoted and copied your mistake and moved on - the difference is that I chose to take the high road and skipped the condescending comment about it. If you want a counting lesson, however, I suggest you go back a look at your comments in this thread and the comments from both myself and other posters opposing your view and count the reputation/likes to see where the board's opinion lies.

Nothing escapes me. My reflexes are too fast and I will catch it.

The board's opinion was also overwhelmingly that Mark Sanchez should have started immediately from game 1 as a rookie. Years later those same people say, with the benefit of hindsight, that we rushed him in too quickly and that he wasn't ready. So it is indicative of nothing of merit if 3 people, who have grudges against me for other reasons, gave you a thumbs up for a post. 

Also you missed my joke with the counting comment. I'm well aware of what you were quoting. Hence the winky-smiley face. 

Archived