Led Zepplin vs The Who  

34 members have voted

1. 1. The better band was.......

• Led Zepplin by a WIDE Margin
    • Led Zepplin
    • About Equal
    • The Who
    • The Who by a WIDE Margin

Not sure I have ever read a more incorrect statement. 

I didn't mean it as a dig bro. Page was notorious for wailing out a lot of notes. It's not bad at all, it's his unique style of soloing. Since Ive Been Loving You is an incredible solo, but there's an awful lot of notes flying everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Not to derail, but lets remember all this is ridiculously subjective. 

Imo, townsend was a very mediocre guitarist. He was good at rhythm, sloppy and uninteresting at leads but a fair songwriter.

page was sloppy all around, but in a better way and certainly better at leads. However, he is by far the better songwriter when he wasnt stealing.

lifeson just has it all. Unbelieveable songwriter, rhythm player and such surgical precision in his solos combined with beautiful feel and emotion and dynamics. Its not even close.

the only thing alex doesnt have is that super stardom mystique of the 60s and 70s. Hes from a different era

And he is totally Kool.  My client is a friend of his and that's how I got VIP.    We talked about the early days pre moving pictures.

he treated me like I had known him forever.

OK now I need to listen. Gonna put on the live album and go for a run. Exit stage left not all worlds a stage. ???

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Page is the most musical rock guitarist, and best rock guitar composer of all time. He was not the cleanest player live. But he was in a different world as a creator and player of music in my view. Zeppelin was the most talented band ever including the Beatles.

Folks should also remember that Page was a genius in the studio.  His layering of guitar parts, as well as overdubbing the rest of the band, was/is revolutionary.  Put on some headphones, then listen to any Zeppelin album.  It's amazing how many little nuances you hear, especially with his guitar parts.

15 hours ago, Bugg said:

Jones and Entwistle are/were both great musicians. But Entwistle is playing the bass like a lead instrument a lot, and still keeping a beat. Listen the "The Real Me"; it's freaking unbelievable a bass guitar is basically doing all that; it's really difficult to pull off and he plays the French horn tracks on the same song. .He's doing things with the bass very few people can do nor ever try. 

Didn't even have to listen to it - as soon as I read "The Real Me" brought up that bass line out of memory and it's beyond monster.

I was thinking of Jones's versatility on mando and keyboards when I made the statement with the bass line from Ramble On going through my mind - which ain't close to TRM.

You're right - slight edge Entwhistle. Brings it even closer, but Page still puts Zep on top in my mind by the slightest of margins IMO.

12 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Jerry's sound was amazing, but his tone was straight from his fingers.  So many people go the wrong way, thinking that plucky sound of his came from fat strings.  It's actually quite the opposite.  Jerry played light strings with high action.  The action being so high made the notes ring just a hair sharp, especially in the low frets.  Think of that opening lick of Althea to understand what I mean.  Jerry's fingers were immensely strong.  He would bend notes with his pinky often, and he would bend notes in half steps effortlessly within a fast run up the fretboard.  That's what gave his leads such emotion to them.  It was just like his vocals, just perfectly flawed if that makes sense. 

Very well stated - JG is unmistakable.

The first time I heard Bruce Hornsby's Night On the Town album - I didn't have to grab the liner notes to see who played the tasty lead on Across The River. It was evident - and beautiful.

15 hours ago, Bugg said:

Jones and Entwistle are/were both great musicians. But Entwistle is playing the bass like a lead instrument a lot, and still keeping a beat. Listen the "The Real Me"; it's freaking unbelievable a bass guitar is basically doing all that; it's really difficult to pull off and he plays the French horn tracks on the same song. .He's doing things with the bass very few people can do nor ever try. 

I majored in bass in college , played string bass and of course electric.  yes Entwiste is terrific. A real musician, playing  a bass.  My understanding is he is the only member of the WHO , who can read music.    But check out Victor Wooten.    He is God like in his mastery of an electric bass.

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I majored in bass in college , played string bass and of course electric.  yes Entwiste is terrific. A real musician, playing  a bass.  My understanding is he is the only member of the WHO , who can read music.    But check out Victor Wooten.    He is God like in his mastery of an electric bass.

Wooten is friggin' ridiculous.  With your experience, maybe start a bass thread some day.

19 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Thought you would dig this interview with Pete talking about Entwistle's abilities.  If you can't listen to the entire piece, start it at about 5:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s25n0kWkng

40 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Damn.  One of my favorite songs.  Thanks for sharing.

16 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Your a funny guy. I have almost every zep album on vinyl and too much who stuff. I grew up on all of this junk.

I mentioned 2 songs that are underrated, imo. Show some respect fool if you wanna have musical debates lets go 

Yes i would like to have musical debates with you, although I worry you aren't well equipped for such a dialogue.  Please rank  your top 5 instrumentalists in every genre so we can begin the debate. 

1 hour ago, NJ said:

Very well stated - JG is unmistakable.

The first time I heard Bruce Hornsby's Night On the Town album - I didn't have to grab the liner notes to see who played the tasty lead on Across The River. It was evident - and beautiful.

Yes this is my point. Music is certainly subjective but to me the greats are the ones that have this quality, an unmistakable and unique voice.

This is something I think you may understand and enjoy quite a bit.

Just listening to "A Quick One..." from Live at Leeds.  This is one of the great under appreciated Who songs.  It was Pete's first attempt at a "rock opera".  Guess this one is more of a "rock operetta".

I wanted to post The Who's performance at the Rolling Stones' "Rock & Roll Circus".  But the video was taken down and replaced with the one below, which is awful in quality.  Just check out Keith Moon's drumming.   Just bashing the fuk out of the kit.  

As an aside, the Stones decided to not release this show for many years, as The Who stole the show.

On February 25, 2016 at 10:19 AM, CTM said:

Yes i would like to have musical debates with you, although I worry you aren't well equipped for such a dialogue.  Please rank  your top 5 instrumentalists in every genre so we can begin the debate. 

Ughhhhhhhh...really? Ill pass. You win.

why dont we rank our favorite colors? It would be just as useless.

you like page i like lifeson.

i think bill bruford and niel peart are among the best all time drummers. Youll say im wrong because its keith moon and mike portnoy or whoever.

nothing gets solved. Lets just agree to disagree and spend the time finger blasting our wives and girlfriends

On February 25, 2016 at 10:19 AM, CTM said:

Lets just agree that jake cinninger is among the best of the new jacks so to speak

5 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Ughhhhhhhh...really? Ill pass. You win.

why dont we rank our favorite colors? It would be just as useless.

you like page i like lifeson.

i think bill bruford and niel peart are among the best all time drummers. Youll say im wrong because its keith moon and mike portnoy or whoever.

nothing gets solved. Lets just agree to disagree and spend the time finger blasting our wives and girlfriends

well this was anti climatic

jftr, I like Rush just fine (although I like Yes a ton better when picking from the genre). I goof on Rush to get under the skin of Klacko (who is also delusional cause he strongly believes they are the greatest band of all time)

And I actually don't like much classic rock as it's too rooted in blues for me. Prefer to listen to jazz, jazz fusion or progressive

11 hours ago, CTM said:

jftr, I like Rush just fine (although I like Yes a ton better when picking from the genre). I goof on Rush to get under the skin of Klacko (who is also delusional cause he strongly believes they are the greatest band of all time)

And I actually don't like much classic rock as it's too rooted in blues for me. Prefer to listen to jazz, jazz fusion or progressive

In college I got totally hooked on Blue note Jazz.  i.e.....   acoustic bass, REAL piano (not electric).  Love Miles, Coltrane, Dexter Gordon etc.

11 hours ago, CTM said:

Ive read your posts on music on i happen to see you as a guy that has good taste but then you come after me for nonsense. I guess you just like to be a dickhead. Thats fine im a dickhead as well. But music is very subjective and i would suggest that if someone offers opinions on a series of bands that at least reflect good taste you should instead turn your wrath towards the douche who praises kanye west, justin beiber, marilyn manson, enya and the like. 

im not a jazz fan but im not a jazz hater by no means as im just not immersed in that genre although ill say bitches brew is one of my all time favs. 

Rush......it seems that for the most part you either hate them or worship them

5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Ive read your posts on music on i happen to see you as a guy that has good taste but then you come after me for nonsense. I guess you just like to be a dickhead. Thats fine im a dickhead as well. But music is very subjective and i would suggest that if someone offers opinions on a series of bands that at least reflect good taste you should instead turn your wrath towards the douche who praises kanye west, justin beiber, marilyn manson, enya and the like. 

im not a jazz fan but im not a jazz hater by no means as im just not immersed in that genre although ill say bitches brew is one of my all time favs. 

Rush......it seems that for the most part you either hate them or worship them

jftr.. My original comment about coming to this conclusion after 2-3 songs was a reference to the Making of a Murderer thread when you said you had only seen 2-3 episodes and then went on to make emphatically state why he was setup. It had nothing to do with music.

But yes, I am a dickhead :)

On 2/27/2016 at 9:20 AM, southparkcpa said:

In college I got totally hooked on Blue note Jazz.  i.e.....   acoustic bass, REAL piano (not electric).  Love Miles, Coltrane, Dexter Gordon etc.

Used to be really really into Coltrane. As I've recently taken up the piano I've been more into the keys recently. Which btw, I've been trying to catch Hiromi for years and she's actually playing NY and Philly at the end of the month. If you are not familiar, check her out

19 minutes ago, CTM said:

Used to be really really into Coltrane. As I've recently taken up the piano I've been more into the keys recently. Which btw, I've been trying to catch Hiromi for years and she's actually playing NY and Philly at the end of the month. If you are not familiar, check her out

I have never had interest in music like that. Great musicians, timing, feel etc. Just not for me. Not sure why..... 

Im old school. I detest a 5 string bass.  Jaco never needed one.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I have never had interest in music like that. Great musicians, timing, feel etc. Just not for me. Not sure why..... 

fair enough. That's actually a 6 string though, I believe he invented it

19 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

If you like keys...  the grand Daddy of Jazz Piano.  1st minute is slow. At the 1:12 mark you hear the type of play that Keith Emerson states "Oscar Peterson" was a great influence on Emerson.

At the 3 minute mark, one of the greatest bassist ever.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

If you like keys...  the grand Daddy of Jazz Piano.  1st minute is slow. At the 1:12 mark you hear the type of play that Keith Emerson states "Oscar Peterson" was a great influence on Emerson.

At the 3 minute mark, one of the greatest bassist ever.

I assume there was supposed to be a link here ;)

20 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Nice.. I fairly familiar with Oscar but that bass player is great. not too familiar with him.

Actually that player I posted earlier considers Oscar one of her hero's. I've seen a video where she dedicates a song to him

On 2/25/2016 at 10:39 AM, Snell41 said:

This is something I think you may understand and enjoy quite a bit.

I have seen the exact same analysis applied to football.  Well... I guess not exact.  Coach never used the term "blissful state."  I don't think those guys ever gave a sh*t about bliss.  

Archived