34 members have voted

1. 1. The better band was.......

• Led Zepplin by a WIDE Margin
    • Led Zepplin
    • About Equal
    • The Who
    • The Who by a WIDE Margin

10 hours ago, CTM said:

Nice.. I fairly familiar with Oscar but that bass player is great. not too familiar with him.

Actually that player I posted earlier considers Oscar one of her hero's. I've seen a video where she dedicates a song to him

The bass player was monster. Neils Henning Orsted Peddersen.  Oscar Peterson influenced all the piano players alive today basically.

Ray Brown on bass had that same influence...  I would attend workshops and it was all about "Ray Brown".

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tommy Who's Next Quadrophenia Has anyone ever had a three-album stretch of pure awesomeness like that? &#1

Quadrephenia is by a wide margin the greatest album ever written. Zep however was musically superior and their catalog was more in sync with the rock n roll of the era.  The Who, wh

So you're saying the Who and Zep both suck and play outrageously boring songs that are overly complicated and depressing? 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The bass player was monster. Neils Henning Orsted Peddersen.  Oscar Peterson influenced all the piano players alive today basically.

Ray Brown on bass had that same influence...  I would attend workshops and it was all about "Ray Brown".

Yeah, I looked him up and watched some other stuff. Great player. thanks for the heads up

Re: Peterson yeah, but wouldn't you say Tatum was a big influence on Peterson? I guess you could probably go back further even but Peterson was clearly influenced by Tatum

• Upvote 1

This debate should really be beatles vs zeppelin vs the stones. Those three bands have had the most influence on rock music than any other....certainly more than the who.

the stones are basically the root of bands like gnr and the black crowes. Anyone know how the who have been the source of? Id like to hear opinions with an open mind

Just my opinion-- I think they're the same..but each band's appeal comes from a different perspective.

Zeppelin has an amazingly original sound that provides a clinic on Rock's blues roots. But personally I found them too edgy to really reach me. In their time, they seemed more tuned in to bullies and the 'tough guy' crowd.

The Who's songs weren't as unique musically, and their sound was more 'pop'.  ...but Pete Townsend authored them to have interesting messages, and the albums often had continuity & storylines that were compelling.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, HighPitch said:

This debate should really be beatles vs zeppelin vs the stones. Those three bands have had the most influence on rock music than any other....certainly more than the who.

the stones are basically the root of bands like gnr and the black crowes. Anyone know how the who have been the source of? Id like to hear opinions with an open mind

Ike all of these bands. But to answer your question-

Pearl Jam

The Clash

The Sex Pistols

The Ramones. 

Oasis

Smashing Pumpkins

Rush. Ask Neil Peart about the Who and Moon and he won't shut the eff up. 

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Nazz, Doors , Cheap Trick?

Queen without a doubt. More recently I would say Muse. I agree with you on the Who's place in history, but they were absolutely influential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding queen is not an unreasonable suggestion

but i have to respectfully disagree with some of the names thrown out. Sexpistols, ramones the clash the doors....these guys come from the school of the who? I just cant see/hear it at all. Wheres the connection?

if you listen to the stones and keith richards in particular, you can hear clear, indisputable respect .....almost mimicry in the sound of the crowes and gnr. If you search youtube theres tons of videos teaching the sound, songs and tuning tricks of richards. Really not much for townsend.

sorry im a huge music fan and a skilled guitar player. Townsend is good and has his rightful spot in history but that spot is pretty close say a guy like Say joe perry. Joe perry is no slouch but neither of them influenced guitar playing and later bands like richards

• Upvote 1

So since this thread I started listening to classic rock again on Spotify and I've actually come to appreciate The Who more than Led Zeppelin at this stage in my life. There's a craftsmanship and a soul in the Who's music that's abscent in Zeppelin's. I'd still regard Zeppelin as the greatest RnR band but they were just leathal musicians who were the lifestyle. They created this mega sound and banged chicks and partied and yeah they definitely wrote some beautiful songs along the way, but they were/are the definition of RocknRoll. The Who have a wider range, took more risks, and sang from a more interpersonal, first person perspective. It's like, a little more personal with a little more meaning. I dunno.

BTW having reconnected with Jethro Tull a bit, Ian Anderson was on a different planet as a song writer in his time. Massive underrated. Martin Barre could rip too when he wanted.

• Upvote 2
On March 10, 2016 at 4:38 AM, HessStation said:

So since this thread I started listening to classic rock again on Spotify and I've actually come to appreciate The Who more than Led Zeppelin at this stage in my life. There's a craftsmanship and a soul in the Who's music that's abscent in Zeppelin's. I'd still regard Zeppelin as the greatest RnR band but they were just leathal musicians who were the lifestyle. They created this mega sound and banged chicks and partied and yeah they definitely wrote some beautiful songs along the way, but they were/are the definition of RocknRoll. The Who have a wider range, took more risks, and sang from a more interpersonal, first person perspective. It's like, a little more personal with a little more meaning. I dunno.

BTW having reconnected with Jethro Tull a bit, Ian Anderson was on a different planet as a song writer in his time. Massive underrated. Martin Barre could rip too when he wanted.

Well said.  The other day, I was listening to Zep's version of the old Willie Dixon/Sonny Boy Williamson tune, "Bring It On Home".  If one song epitomizes Page's/Zeppelin's greatness and influence, it's this one.  Page had a vision marrying blues with electric rock and modern recording techniques.  In "BIOH", you can hear all of that.  Along with phenomenal performances by everyone in the band.  Listen to Page's guitar work.  So funky and modern for back then.

As for Tull/Anderson, you're spot on.  They are not talked about as much as is warranted.  Ian Anderson was/is an incredible songsmith. "Thick As A Brick" remains as one of my favorite records from that period.  I can still hear this one on my friend's stereo, who introduced me to Tull.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Well said.  The other day, I was listening to Zep's version of the old Willie Dixon/Sonny Boy Williamson tune, "Bring It On Home".  If one song epitomizes Page's/Zeppelin's greatness and influence, it's this one.  Page had a vision marrying blues with electric rock and modern recording techniques.  In "BIOH", you can hear all of that.  Along with phenomenal performances by everyone in the band.  Listen to Page's guitar work.  So funky and modern for back then.

my freshman year away at school a was hanging in this kids dorm room who had super mega amazing speakers.  I was a high school squeaky clean jock, the only zeppelin I had ever heard was stairway or rock and roll, I had never heard this song before.  so he turns it up to 11, and I'm sitting a foot away from these massive speakers.......

the part where it kicks in melted my brain, its a moment I will never forget, lol.

after that I was a zep junkie, I played III every day for a month

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, Larz said:

my freshman year away at school a was hanging in this kids dorm room who had super mega amazing speakers.  I was a high school squeaky clean jock, the only zeppelin I had ever heard was stairway or rock and roll, I had never heard this song before.  so he turns it up to 11, and I'm sitting a foot away from these massive speakers.......

the part where it kicks in melted my brain, its a moment I will never forget, lol.

after that I was a zep junkie, I played III every day for a month

I played bass/guitar back in the 70s.  At college, I ran my stereo through my 100 watt Sunn amp.  You want to talk about loud?  One day, the volume was so insane, blasting into the quad, that two RAs almost kicked in our suite door.  I was given a long "talking to" that day.  lol

Awesome story for how you found the Zep muse, Larz.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I played bass/guitar back in the 70s.  At college, I ran my stereo through my 100 watt Sunn amp.  You want to talk about loud?  One day, the volume was so insane, blasting into the quad, that two RAs almost kicked in our suite door.  I was given a long "talking to" that day.  lol

Awesome story for how you found the Zep muse, Larz.

long before the internet, all I knew was from the radio. Atfer that experience, I went out and got a few cassette's (lol) and when I got hom got some vinyl.  I discovered so many gems in a very short amount of time, babe I'm gonna leave you, that's the way, black mountain side, ramble on, I was never without my zep after that

the who period started later, after seeing them live

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Larz said:

long before the internet, all I knew was from the radio. Atfer that experience, I went out and got a few cassette's (lol) and when I got hom got some vinyl.  I discovered so many gems in a very short amount of time, babe I'm gonna leave you, that's the way, black mountain side, ramble on, I was never without my zep after that

the who period started later, after seeing them live

Hey, don't laugh at cassettes. At one time, I had 8-tracks along with vinyl.  lol   Biggest POS technology as you could not select specific songs exactly.

Dude, "Ramble On" is one of my favorite songs from that era.  Again, Page's guitar work is impeccable and imaginative.  Plus, his approach to tracking different guitar parts is still fresh and exciting today.

As for The Who, I saw them during the time just before "Quadrophenia".  Seeing and hearing them perform on stage still resonates with me today. Incredible musicians and showmen.  Okay, maybe not Entwistle in the showman category.  lol

• Upvote 1
On 3/7/2016 at 5:05 PM, HighPitch said:

During the mid sixties when the British Invasion was happening the debate was between 3 bands, and if you weren't alive at the time you would have no idea that it was actually between The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Dave Clark Five........right JN old guys?

On 2/22/2016 at 6:56 AM, T0mShane said:

One of my life's regrets is that I'll never see Led Zeppelin or Queen play live. The Who was kinda bullsh*t because Daltrey was a pop star. 

I saw all 3 Tom, Led Zep at MSG Queen at The Uris Theatre on Broadway I was in the front row for Queen's American debut. They were the opening act for a dying Mott The Hoople propped up on coke and booze and I saw the Who doing Quadrophenia with Keith Moon (Golden Earring opened) and also saw them with Kenny what's his name from Rod Stewarts old band on drums also at the Garden Who Are You tour

On 3/9/2016 at 11:05 PM, HighPitch said:

Adding queen is not an unreasonable suggestion

but i have to respectfully disagree with some of the names thrown out. Sexpistols, ramones the clash the doors....these guys come from the school of the who? I just cant see/hear it at all. Wheres the connection?

if you listen to the stones and keith richards in particular, you can hear clear, indisputable respect .....almost mimicry in the sound of the crowes and gnr. If you search youtube theres tons of videos teaching the sound, songs and tuning tricks of richards. Really not much for townsend.

sorry im a huge music fan and a skilled guitar player. Townsend is good and has his rightful spot in history but that spot is pretty close say a guy like Say joe perry. Joe perry is no slouch but neither of them influenced guitar playing and later bands like richards

It's all kind of interconnected though. Page even toured with the Black Crowes. Saw them (not with Page though) early 1990s and they were great. 

One pet peeve; THE BLUES. Everything in music builds on what came before. Suspect rockers like Jagger and Eric Clapton think that rock is kind of a less than respectable line of work and CONSTANTLY refer back to THE BLUES. Heck, Jagger is RUINING "Vinyl' right now with this nonsense. "Yeah, Mick, let's have ANOTHER interlude of Billie Holliday or Bo Diddley instead of telling the story, GREAT, i guess?". Went to the 9/11 concert and the only worse act than Jay Z was Jagger and Richards playing THE BLUES instead of some hIts. TIME FOR A BEER. t the 1212 cocnert they wised up, but got screwed by promoters that inflicted Kanye West in a manskirt for  a half hour on us   and gave the Stones only 10 minutes.

The blues never crossed over into popular until Elvis and then rock picked up the pieces.They moved the ball. They shouldn't feel the need to apologize.  Some of those guys were great musicians. But bluntly the blues was repetitive, simple, usually downbeat and boring.And some of the blues guys lived off years of reflected glory. And rock owes more to Chuck Berry and Little Richard than any old timey blues guy. Further  the Stones' or the Allmans'  "Midnight Rambler" or the Allmans' "Whipping Post" is better than any of the blues that came before it , and it's not close. Most of the blues is the same bass scale beat that ayn awful bass player like I could play, and some chords most guitar player except really awful ones like I could play  easily. And above all, again, it's DOWN BEAT AND BORING AS HELL.   END OF RANT. 

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

I saw all 3 Tom, Led Zep at MSG Queen at The Uris Theatre on Broadway I was in the front row for Queen's American debut. They were the opening act for a dying Mott The Hoople propped up on coke and booze and I saw the Who doing Quadrophenia with Keith Moon (Golden Earring opened) and also saw them with Kenny what's his name from Rod Stewarts old band on drums also at the Garden Who Are You tour

Jones.  One of the greatest "time keepers" of the drumming world.  go back and watch some of the old Faces stuff.  Kenny is making all the "cuts".

39 minutes ago, Bugg said:

It's all kind of interconnected though. Page even toured with the Black Crowes. Saw them (not with Page though) early 1990s and they were great. 

One pet peeve; THE BLUES. Everything in music builds on what came before. Suspect rockers like Jagger and Eric Clapton think that rock is kind of a less than respectable line of work and CONSTANTLY refer back to THE BLUES. Heck, Jagger is RUINING "Vinyl' right now with this nonsense. "Yeah, Mick, let's have ANOTHER interlude of Billie Holliday or Bo Diddley instead of telling the story, GREAT, i guess?". Went to the 9/11 concert and the only worse act than Jay Z was Jagger and Richards playing THE BLUES instead of some hIts. TIME FOR A BEER. t the 1212 cocnert they wised up, but got screwed by promoters that inflicted Kanye West in a manskirt for  a half hour on us   and gave the Stones only 10 minutes.

The blues never crossed over into popular until Elvis and then rock picked up the pieces.They moved the ball. They shouldn't feel the need to apologize.  Some of those guys were great musicians. But bluntly the blues was repetitive, simple, usually downbeat and boring.And some of the blues guys lived off years of reflected glory. And rock owes more to Chuck Berry and Little Richard than any old timey blues guy. Further  the Stones' or the Allmans'  "Midnight Rambler" or the Allmans' "Whipping Post" is better than any of the blues that came before it , and it's not close. Most of the blues is the same bass scale beat that ayn awful bass player like I could play, and some chords most guitar player except really awful ones like I could play  easily. And above all, again, it's DOWN BEAT AND BORING AS HELL.   END OF RANT. 

wow someone hates the blues.

i kinda have to disagree with you. well, i do agree that music builds from past genres. blues is hugely popular in rock even today. blues isn't just the slow steady whining about not having money for rye, but its a scale/chord set.

the stones, zep, dead, all mans each probably have 20+ songs based on blues progressions. ADE or EAB or GCD, its super typical even today

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

During the mid sixties when the British Invasion was happening the debate was between 3 bands, and if you weren't alive at the time you would have no idea that it was actually between The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Dave Clark Five........right JN old guys?

so credit me for being close. i added the stones. stones are HUGE. the bill clark five i did not mention, and we both know why :>

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Damn! Nice. How were they, Jimmy? 

On 2/22/2016 at 6:56 AM, T0mShane said:

One of my life's regrets is that I'll never see Led Zeppelin or Queen play live. The Who was kinda bullsh*t because Daltrey was a pop star. 

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Damn! Nice. How were they, Jimmy? 

I have to admit, we used to hang out in this older guy's attic, which was the hang out spot that everyone would meet at (The older cats would) and party, smoke listen to music, talk about all the great shows they had seen. You see these guys were all 4-5-6---7-8 years older than our crowd and they got to see ALL the great artists in their prime, bands like Led Zep in Central Park for a buck, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin at The Fillmore East, The Doors on L.I. Cream, The Animals, as well as all of them being at Woodstock. They would tell us about those shows and I swear you could almost see the lights, smell the air, and picture Plant and Page back to back atop an amplifier after the Garden stage collapsed. These stories had me really psyched to catch some of that magic that they were lucky enough to see  5 years earlier-TBH Tom, they didn't live up to the legend I had in my mind's eye.

The Who doing Quadrophenia with Keith Moon was great, them with Kenny Jones was like seeing them play now-with drum machine accurate players but nowhere near the soul that Moon played with. Queen, blew Mott away. They were all great shows but the best show I'd ever seen was Springsteen in December of 1975 at Seton Hall in the gymnasium and then the next year at Rutgers a week after my 21st birthday.

That night I was sick as a dog, swollen glands, sore throat head pounding no energy and when I woke up the next morning I told my cousin Anthony (who bought me the ticket as a B-day present, "That was the BEST concert I ever saw"  

On February 24, 2016 at 10:21 AM, CTM said:

Based on your post history, I'm not sure you have a thought more sophisticated than "duh"

This is the crack you break character to drop a five-syllable word for? No wonder so many of these drips are pulling the Zep lever. No wonder the music threads here are always ******* terrible.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is the crack you break character to drop a five-syllable word for? No wonder so many of these drips are pulling the Zep lever. No wonder the music threads here are always ******* terrible.

Why do you choose to be so unlikable? 

On 2/26/2016 at 9:45 PM, CTM said:

well this was anti climatic

jftr, I like Rush just fine (although I like Yes a ton better when picking from the genre). I goof on Rush to get under the skin of Klacko (who is also delusional cause he strongly believes they are the greatest band of all time)

And I actually don't like much classic rock as it's too rooted in blues for me. Prefer to listen to jazz, jazz fusion or progressive

Knew it you ******* liar!!!

Seriously, Rush is the greatest band of all time and if you don't think so you're an idiot!

On February 26, 2016 at 9:45 PM, CTM said:

well this was anti climatic

jftr, I like Rush just fine (although I like Yes a ton better when picking from the genre). I goof on Rush to get under the skin of Klacko (who is also delusional cause he strongly believes they are the greatest band of all time)

And I actually don't like much classic rock as it's too rooted in blues for me. Prefer to listen to jazz, jazz fusion or progressive

Jazz is heavily influenced by blues as well.  Both are children of roots music brought over by African slaves.

• 4 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:48 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Houses of the Holy operates the same way for me.  The Ocean is maybe my favorite Led Zeppelin song and its the last track of an album.  That's crazy.  I don't care if people want to say Led Zeppelin spent most of their time ripping off blues artists.  Still the greatest band of all-time after The Beatles.

I know, I know, 80 has no musical taste and is making this all up, blah blah blah. 

I laugh when people say Zeppelin ripped off blues artists when in fact that's why Zepp was created in the first place :)  Jimmy Page and Robert plant created the group to be a blues cover band with a heavy metal element funny how the folks claiming Zepp rips people off forgot to mention that.

• Upvote 1

Dave Clark Five never had the edge the Beatles and Stones had, even in the beginnings when the Stones and Beatles were nothing more than Brit Pop. Beatles had the edge right off the bat even in their poppiest tunes early on you could hear something. To me early Stones didn't have it as they were mostly a cover band, but they acquired it quickly over time. But Dave Clark Five just didn't have anything "different". Glad all over was a good tune, but there was no raw seed within it hinting towards more, and that's why in my opinion they never made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1