Jaylon Smith Prognosis

afosomf

I'm a medical expert (not draft expert), but at this point is more likely a Day 3 pick than Day 1 pick.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

This guy hasn't examined him, didn't do his surgery, and watched a video to make a "diagnosis". He may be right, but he's not really speaking from a knowledgeable basis of this particular case. Every injury is different because every body is different. 

I think the msg is clear Mr.40... his injury was significant. That's the msg. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

This guy hasn't examined him, didn't do his surgery, and watched a video to make a "diagnosis". He may be right, but he's not really speaking from a knowledgeable basis of this particular case. Every injury is different because every body is different. 

the dude does this for a living, and he predicts injuries via videotape and he is spot on 95% of time, he is a weekly guest on NFL sirius

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think the msg is clear Mr.40... his injury was significant. That's the msg. 

No one is saying it isn't. I'm not disputing that at all.

12 minutes ago, afosomf said:

the dude does this for a living, and he predicts injuries via videotape and he is spot on 95% of time, he is a weekly guest on NFL sirius

None of that holds any water with me. Until it's from someone who actually has seen Jaylon or examined him, it doesn't matter. This is one guys opinion, and while it may be a highly respected one, he's just not in the know about it right now. 

14 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No one is saying it isn't. I'm not disputing that at all.

None of that holds any water with me. Until it's from someone who actually has seen Jaylon or examined him, it doesn't matter. This is one guys opinion, and while it may be a highly respected one, he's just not in the know about it right now. 

it's understandable that you don't want to hear bad news about a player you like 

but it's not great dude. Anyone with a DVR can see his leg exploded on national Tv 

I feel INCREDIBLY bad for the kid.

I also feel vindicated in having been correct that NO WAY you use a 1st round pick on a speed LBer who was THAT SIGNIFICANTLY injured to his knee despite how ALL-WORLD Top 5 pick Blue Chip of a Footballer he was prior to such devastating injury - at the time of the discussion, it was assumed he'd "possibly miss time until week 10 of his rookie season." IIRC it was in the initial Mel Kiper Mock draft Thread.

per Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Norte Dame LB Jaylon Smith is expected to miss the entire 2016 season.

It rules him out as a first-round pick. Smith is dealing with nerve damage in his knee/ankle. He's expected to redshirt as a rookie, but might never make a full recovery. A top-ten talent, Smith led Notre Dame in tackles the last two seasons.

Feb 26 - 5:54 PM

38 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

We'll see what happens in April. He's got two months to heal up. There still isn't a report from an actual doctor who examined him. Just a bunch of lazy reporting. 

The earliest Jaylon goes is 3rd rd and that is a big risk for any team

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

We'll see what happens in April. He's got two months to heal up. There still isn't a report from an actual doctor who examined him. Just a bunch of lazy reporting. 

Stubborn as a rock.

No one is rooting against the kid to have a quick and complete recovery, but you have to be an idiot to INVEST a 1st round pick on him at this point. 

NFL Network's Albert Breer compares Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith's nerve damage to ex-South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore's injury coming out of college.

Lattimore, of course, never played in an NFL game after 49ers GM Trent Baalke blew a fourth-round pick on him during San Francisco's failed "redshirt" phase. Other medical analysts have likened Smith's nerve damage to that of Peyton Manning's. Manning's nerve "woke back up." It's unclear if Smith's will.

Feb 26 - 8:56 PM

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Stubborn as a rock.

No one is rooting against the kid to have a quick and complete recovery, but you have to be an idiot to INVEST a 1st round pick on him at this point. 

NFL Network's Albert Breer compares Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith's nerve damage to ex-South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore's injury coming out of college.

Lattimore, of course, never played in an NFL game after 49ers GM Trent Baalke blew a fourth-round pick on him during San Francisco's failed "redshirt" phase. Other medical analysts have likened Smith's nerve damage to that of Peyton Manning's. Manning's nerve "woke back up." It's unclear if Smith's will.

Feb 26 - 8:56 PM

Exactly, sorry to break it to you guys, but severely injured players tend to stay injured

3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Exactly, sorry to break it to you guys, but severely injured players tend to stay injured

Yeah. 20 year olds never bounce back. Come on. There is a laundry list of players who have come back from injuries at even older ages and been fine. Modern medicine is great. 

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah. 20 year olds never bounce back. Come on. There is a laundry list of players who have come back from injuries at even older ages and been fine. Modern medicine is great. 

Can Dee get some of that marvellous medicine? ;-)

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

what about lattimore tho ?

6 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Lattimore had multiple knee injuries at separate times. He also uses his legs as a running back much different than a linebacker. Jaylon's injury history except for the freak thing is clean. 

Nerve regeneration is a tricky issue. Teams with interest will want a physical or access to his medical records. Kid is in an tough situation here. If he consents it is 50/50 he hears something he does not want to hear. Refuse and it's a red flag as to his draft ability.

Archived