Report: Wilkerson to Receive Franchise Tag

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup- had to be done.  Perhaps they'll still agree to a long term deal.

i remember Mo crying when he broke his leg in the last game, had that been a Leon Washington situation (a worse injury) he could've lost tens of millions. That should be a motivator for him to get more security with a long term deal even if it's for a little less money...my thinking at least.

14 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Yuck... That's a lot of money, but it is what it is. Mo is a very good player.

I put a higher priority on Snacks. I really hope he doesn't walk.

Potentially it won't be a lot of money.  This now gives us until mid-July to work out an extension, OR, in a worst-case scenario, a trade. 

I think it is extremely unlikely he ends up playing out the 1-year tag.  Either he gets a contract extension or is moved to another team.  It in no way benefits us to let him play it out, then walk in free agency.

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

Yup- had to be done.  Perhaps they'll still agree to a long term deal.

i remember Mo crying when he broke his leg in the last game, had that been a Leon Washington situation (a worse injury) he could've lost tens of millions. That should be a motivator for him to get more security with a long term deal even if it's for a little less money...my thinking at least.

Might be your thinking which would be mine as well but probably not Mo's..According to Joe Coporoso on Turn on the jets he says reports he has heard Mo is asking for more then the Watt deal.. http://turnonthejets.com/2016/02/toj-pick-six-new-york-jets-mock-draft-w-mo-wilkerson-trade/

. The New York Jets trade Muhammad Wilkerson to the Jacksonville Jaguars for the 38th and 101st picks in the NFL Draft. This move nets the Jets two picks and gives them 5 of the first 127 picks.

Do I think the Jets can get a first round pick for Wilkerson? Sure. Do I think they will get a first for Wilkerson? No. Wilkerson is not the best player at his position like Darrelle Revis was when the Jets moved him. he is also not arguably the greatest to ever play his position like Revis is. That’s not a knock on Wilkerson, who is very good and incredibly talented. However, you cannot keep Leonard Williams off the field cause you didn’t use the 6th overall pick on a part time player. You also can return Sheldon Richardson to his more natural position and have a better chance of re-signing Damon Harrison. A defensive line of Williams, Richardson, and Harrison can lead the league in run defense.

Wilkerson is coming off a broken leg and is asking for north of JJ Watt money if all reports are accurate. Tag, then trade him. Use the assets to continue to build your team. Why the Jaguars? They have the required cap space to trade for Wilkerson and pay him the contract he wants, they have a need on their defensive line, and they have two picks high enough that allows the Jets to continue rebuilding their roster.

Dline is just uber loaded in this draft, that works very much against the Jets.  Why are teams going to trade assets to get him and know they have to pay him huge dollars when:

- He is coming off a broken leg.

- They have just watched the phins get murdered with the suh contract.

- Their scouts are telling them they can get a really good player in the 2nd and or 3rd round that while not proven are very cheap.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Dline is just uber loaded in this draft, that works very much against the Jets.  Why are teams going to trade assets to get him and know they have to pay him huge dollars when:

- Their scouts are telling them they can get a really good player in the 2nd and or 3rd round that while not proven are very cheap.

all true but i still think someone will bite.  

Just now, Beerfish said:

That thinking will also hurt him if he hits the open market

Muhammad Wilkerson

By Glenn Naughton

In a move that’s a mere formality at this point, it appears the New York Jets, as expected, will be slapping defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson with the franchise tag according to Kim Jones.

That takes care of one of the biggest question marks for the Jets this off-season for now, with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and nose tackle Damon Harrison topping the list of pending free agents.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
a0-DbnYHb5Y

Click here to read the full story...

I like your thinking regarding the Jaguars. They have tons of cap space, they are a team on the verge of vying for the division, they are very close to leaving Jacksonville & a good team gains fans very quickly. 

I just want to ask other fans on here why they think Mo is worth signing for JJ Watt money? For the Jaguars who have zippo on the Dline it's a great move. For the Jets who already have a 21 year old Leonard Williams it's stupid. 2 high picks could really solidify this Jet squad by adding some more firepower to the offense & fix our aging positions. 

I was thinking the other day, could you imagine if Mac had been here for the 2014 draft? I like the idea of giving Mac & his scout minions 2 more draft picks to work with in this upcoming draft. Imagine having 5 of the 1st 83 picks?

more then Watt?  i love Mo but he's nowhere near the impact player that Watt is.

jets really shot themselves in the foot with this one.  hate that they made him wait to get paid and now we're going to see one a homegrown player probably leave.  sucks, he's been a good soldier this whole time.

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Excellent. The very thought of tagging Snacks made no sense from the get go. 

It's obviously moot now, but wouldn't signing Mo long-term then franchising Snacks have been the dream scenario? Buys us an extra year with the Sons of Anarchy all together, and the franchise number for DTs is $2mm+ lower than the number for DEs.

28 minutes ago, heymangold said:

more then Watt?  i love Mo but he's nowhere near the impact player that Watt is.

jets really shot themselves in the foot with this one.  hate that they made him wait to get paid and now we're going to see one a homegrown player probably leave.  sucks, he's been a good soldier this whole time.

It's not their fault that he wants more money than Watt. 

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's obviously moot now, but wouldn't signing Mo long-term then franchising Snacks have been the dream scenario? Buys us an extra year with the Sons of Anarchy all together, and the franchise number for DTs is $2mm+ lower than the number for DEs.

The Sons of Occasional Nuisance  

22 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No I don't think that's a dream scenario. The dream scenario was having all of them on their cheaper rookie deals. That is now over and they're going to get paid huge dollars now (good for them).

The franchise tag amount (between $13-14M) is way too high for Snacks, unless we were looking to re-sign him for anywhere close to that per annum. People have been throwing around numbers like $6M or an absolute maximum of $8M as an average yearly comp for Snacks. If that's what you want him for, there's no sense in paying him 2 years' money for 1 season. Also it makes it nearly impossible to negotiate with him on a longer deal because he's already going to get 2 years' money in 1 season, after which time he gets a new contract with an additional 8 figures guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

I think that's attached to the fast track to the HOF tag..;)

STILL butthurt and licking those wounds? LOLZ I love that Wilkerson's current career track, a potentially HOF one, has thrown your 60s sensibilities for a loop. Sorry that your :wub::wub::wub::wub: s will be displaced a little in franchise history, is what it is. 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Sons of Occasional Nuisance  

lMAO! It's truly laughable that we have fans here so worried about out Dline breaking up. Guys & girls, here me out, WE WERENT THAT GOOD! Talk about an overhyped group. We cut Coples, and we were good stopping the run...whoop de doo! So we stuffed a bunch of sh*tty running teams! Did the Pats even try to run on us? That's 2 games out of 16 that skew the numbers a bit.

The Denver Broncos were so far ahead of the NY Jets on QB pressures we weren't even CLOSE and we have a guy & his agent asking for Watt dollars. Just ridiculous. In the biggest game of the year we couldn't get off the f*cking field! Tyrod Taylor was making a ham sandwich back there. Bills had twice the TOP, converted on what seemed like 70% of their 3rd downs. 

Mac needs to put Mo & his azz hat agent in their place. Pray we can trade him because he's definitely not an elite GAME CHANGER, use the pick to draft another QB, much more important to our future.

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

STILL butthurt and licking those wounds? LOLZ I love that Wilkerson's current career track, a potentially HOF one, has thrown your 60s sensibilities for a loop. Sorry that your :wub::wub::wub::wub: s will be displaced a little franchise history, is what it is. 

When it comes to Mo you should change your name to Senorita Chocha..LOL

This is unloading in line with the ideal scenario (other than having them all play for their cheap rookie deals or - like Snacks - the low cost RFA tag year after that). Get something in return for a player you aren't re-signing anyway.

They've clearly hit a wall trying to lock Mo up long term for some time now, so the only choice before them was tag him (at around his annual asking price on a long term deal anyway). The other option, which sucks, is just letting him hit FA with nothing in return.

Someone will offer something, but really the name of the game is clearing up his space and not ending up with nothing to show for it. Anything is better than nothing. The team is worse without Mo, but that doesn't therefore mean they're better off with him and the average $15M/year cap hit that comes with re-signing him. Not when we've already got 2 young beast guys who play the same position. 

Love Mo, and will miss him being here, but it's not like the DL performance will just drop off a cliff with Richardson taking his spot. Hell, the DL performance was almost unnoticeable when Coples - playing below his natural weight due to trimming down for OLB - took his spot for like a month a couple of years back.

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

He is not worth Watt $ and it's becoming clear that the Jets agree.   

There's that Joe logic magic at work! Jets franchise tagging Wilkerson for $16 million or whatever it is, putting an extension window into place, is definitely proof of your claim because stuff. 

8 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

When it comes to Mo you should change your name to Senorita Chocha..LOL

Sure, but making something up to convenience my point of view would mean I'm falling to your level. Next thing you know I'll be trapped somewhere between the 60's-80's mentally forever and buying tons of Klecko/Gastineau merch to recapture the glory somehow. LOLZ :wub::wub::wub:

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The logical thing to do.  They could still look for a traded if they feel they need to but the quality and depth of this years dline class makes that unlikely if you ask me.

With this draft being so rich on the DL, I really wonder if it hurts Wilks value a bit in a trade scenario. I think we hang onto him this year with the Tag and then look at next year to figure out if Wilk or Richardson gets a long term contract.  Might be easier to deal Richardson next year if he can keep his sh*t clean this season and have no worries of another suspension.

Mo stands to make more money next year than most NFL players even make in their lifetimes, so I don't feel bad for him, despite the broken leg.

The wild card here is, after Mo, will they have enough money to bring Snacks back?  Remember they will have to pay Fitz too, and they do need to bring in at least one free agent on D who can bring speed to the linebacker/edge rush group.  Snacks may end up being a luxury they can't afford.

Archived