Report: Wilkerson to Receive Franchise Tag

CrazyCarl40

7 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Thats actually what im thinking. We have too many holes to go into free agency with 6m which basically is our rookie cap. Im predicting a trade extremely early for jax or the raiders second round pick and change.

1 - The Jets' holes are not holes that get filled in FA - premium pass rushers and quarterbacks generally aren't available in FA.

2 - A 2nd round pick and change would be a loss of a trade.

First rounders bust almost 50 percent of the time let alone the bust rate of 2nd rounders and behind. 

You want to trade the best player on the team, also the best under-30 player on the team, for a 2nd round pick and whatever change is.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the way owners are firing GM's & HC's after VERY short periods of time a majority of

them are paranoid and won't "wait" for a rookie.  They would rather have "the finished

product" (Wilkerson) they can parade in front of the fanbase and ownership

1 hour ago, Larz said:

why take on a huge salary when you can get rookie scale ?    who knows, maybe if they don't get their man, they call the jets, but all I'm saying is the massive glut of d-line talent is going to dampen the market

Again.... tough to build a very good "D" line with only 7 picks and a LOT of holes to fill on a 3-13 team

12 minutes ago, KRL said:

With the way owners are firing GM's & HC's after VERY short periods of time a majority of

them are paranoid and won't "wait" for a rookie.  They would rather have "the finished

product" (Wilkerson) they can parade in front of the fanbase and ownership

You nailed it KRL.... Mo is only going to get better. It's win now for a lot of these GM's and coaches.

Giants, 49ers, Chargers, Lions, Colts all have GM's on the hot seat. They will blow their wad to try and show improvement.

Trading Mo would be a lot easier for me to stomach if I trusted Richardson to keep his nose clean at all.

In a vacuum, trading Wilkerson makes perfect sense. If the Jets are comfortable moving forward with Richardson, I guess they know better than I do. I just don't want it to turn into another Josh Gordon situation. Leonard Williams makes one of them expendable. It may just be a case of Mo's contract coming up first, but I sure hope the Jets put more thought in it than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we DO trade Mo' I would personally want it to be in exchange for a 1st round pick. He is far to good for us to short ourselves. 1st rounder or no deal.

Keep in mind we would also be shedding $15.7 million. That's enough to resign both Harrison and Fitzpatrick. I wouldn't trade Mo for a 2nd, but I would trade him for both of them and a 2nd.

Just now, The Troll said:

Keep in mind we would also be shedding $15.7 million. That's enough to resign both Harrison and Fitzpatrick. I wouldn't trade Mo for a 2nd, but I would trade him for both of them and a 2nd.

True. I think realistically a tag and trade is already in place as well. 15.7 mill is just too much of a cap hit when we need to still solidify other positional groups. That includes finding solid options at LB and O line. Shedding 15.7 mill not only resigns Fitz and Snacks but makes things expendable for us as far as FA finding goes. Mo will be gone as soon as March 9th rolls in.

6 hours ago, Shockwave said:

First rounders bust almost 50 percent of the time let alone the bust rate of 2nd rounders and behind. 

Guys like the jax front office are all playing for their jobs. Grabbing bosa and trading for Mo could change that teams entire culture. Young studs are usually not available. We absolutely will be getting trade offers for Mo.

You have to remember for the Jags , that Dante Fowler will be back this year .( like having another number 1 pick).  Dante Fowler and Joey Bosa isn't a bad combination at De.   Maybe they go After snacks in Fa instead.

7 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Need to keep in mind that teams HAVE to spend big $$.  Just like us last year teams like Jax has to hit a certain thresh hold of spending. So drafting cheap players ain't gonna do the trick.

Jaguars have a big need at Lb and in the secondary.  They are going to be big spenders on defense, but it doesn't have to be the defense line . (Strength in this draft is at CB, and  the defense line) .  They can address both needs big time in Fa, and the draft.( more high quality competition you have at a position, better chance you have of solving that position).

7 hours ago, KRL said:

As prepared as Maccagnan is, I wouldn't be shocked if he already has a trade in place for

Wilkerson that he'll execute on the first day of the new league year

One problem with that theory is the fact that there is no trade unless that trading  team can work out a long term contract with Muhammad Wilkerson.   That trading team would have eight days to hammer out a long term contract with him.    M Wilkerson doesn't want to play with that team, and he won't sign a long term contract.   

That trade they thought they had , is over with and that 15 million plus is still sitting on their books come March 9.( now you either sign him long term or keep him for one more year at that franchise tag price.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

One problem with that theory is the fact that there is no trade unless that trading  team can work out a long term contract with Muhammad Wilkerson.   That trading team would have eight days to hammer out a long term contract with him.    M Wilkerson doesn't want to play with that team, and he won't sign a long term contract.   

That trade they thought they had , is over with and that 15 million plus is still sitting on their books come March 9.( now you either sign him long term or keep him for one more year at that franchise tag price.

This guy is a genius.

You people are crazy! How long have you been watching the NFL & especially what goes on in free agency & trades. There's ALWAYS a team that can't help themselves. Last year it was Suh. Before that someone else. 

If Mo Wilkerson was in this draft he'd be the 1st overall pick based on his prior play in the NFL. Mos a can't miss prospect. He just wants too much money & we already have Shel & Leo on the cheap.

The Jags & Titans HAVE to spend some money this year. Usually very good Dline players don't get to free agency, Reggie White, Suh, the Pats traded Richard Seymour, it's pretty rare. Jets are an exception because we have 2 players as good or maybe just slightly under what Mo brings.

Mo isn't as good as those players, (Seymour probably will have twice the pass knockdowns than Mo), but he's a BIG NAME, and very good. Like someone else said, there is no way a trade happens that doesn't involve a 1st unless it's 3 picks for him 2 this year & something like a 2nd next. If by trading Mo, we can keep Snacks, resign Fitz, Powell & add 2 free agents (LB & OL) have 5 picks in the top 83, how can anyone not be for that scenario? You can't overpay in this league for "above average". Look at Michael Bennett, now that guy is a STUD! I've seen him disrupt an offense more in one f*cking game than Mo in three. Go Mac, go Jets, I cheer for the laundry, football more than any sport is a team game & if we can fix our speed at LB, you won't even notice Mo is gone. Book it.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This guy is a genius.

Thanks why I am here.   Macc has no deal with a team already, without Wilkerson ready to sign a longterm contract.    That trading team in eight days would have to do what Jets couldn't do in two years - agree to terms with Wilkerson.  

Thanks why I am here.   Macc has no deal with a team already, without Wilkerson ready to sign a longterm contract.    That trading team in eight days would have to do what Jets couldn't do in two years - agree to terms with Wilkerson.  

He's 100% correct.

21 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Bullsh*t. A team only has to over MORE than what the Jets offered. Highest offer wins. It's all about the signing bonus. Players want that huge chunk of money in the bank. It's called SECURITY.

8 hours ago, The Troll said:

The Jets are not trading Wilkerson for pennies just to give themselves the opportunity to hand a NT a giant contract.

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Here's the thing, though: The Jets know what Wilkerson is asking for. The Jets will then relate those terms to any prospective trading partners, who will then go into any trade with their eyes wide open. If they think Mo is worth what he's asking for plus picks, a deal gets made. Pretty simple. 

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

He's 100% correct.

No, he's wrong, you're wrong, and everything else remains right in the world. 

Check out this little tidbit from the addicts board.. http://nflfans.com/x/showthread.php?100518-Take-this-for-what-its-worth

1. Mo absolutely wants the JJ Watt deal (6 years, 100 mil, 10 mil signing bonus, 50 mil in guarantees) and he hasn't come off that number since the beginning...and the Jets have no intention of paying him that. They will play him on the tag for this year and possibly next but are actively shopping him. Won't give him away but they are not giving him that contract.
2. The last Buffalo game has the CS concerned about Fitz. That he looked so bad in bad weather in a big game. They want him back...but they aren't blind to what he is.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Bullsh*t. A team only has to over MORE than what the Jets offered. Highest offer wins. It's all about the signing bonus. Players want that huge chunk of money in the bank. It's called SECURITY.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Here's the thing, though: The Jets know what Wilkerson is asking for. The Jets will then relate those terms to any prospective trading partners, who will then go into any trade with their eyes wide open. If they think Mo is worth what he's asking for plus picks, a deal gets made. Pretty simple. 

No, he's wrong, you're wrong, and everything else remains right in the world. 

So when the first day of Fa starts, you  expect Muhammad Wilkerson trade to go down. That is what you're saying.( my point there is no deal without Wilkerson ready to sign an extension). 

That isn't how it usually works, the team ( Jets) give Wilkerson agent permission to talk to prospective trading partners .  That team sees if they can work out a deal.   No team says my guy looking for JJ Watt money- you probably won't even get a team willing to discuss trade with the Jets if they know this.

If Wilkerson agent finds that no team is willing to pay the money he wants, than he should lower his asking price .( understand his market value).  The Jets aren't relating anything to their trade partners. 

18 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

So when the first day of Fa starts, you  expect Muhammad Wilkerson trade to go down. That is what you're saying.( my point there is no deal without Wilkerson ready to sign an extension). 

That isn't how it usually works, the team ( Jets) give Wilkerson agent permission to talk to prospective trading partners .  That team sees if they can work out a deal.   No team says my guy looking for JJ Watt money- you probably won't even get a team willing to discuss trade with the Jets if they know this.

If Wilkerson agent finds that no team is willing to pay the money he wants, than he should lower his asking price .( understand his market value).  The Jets aren't relating anything to their trade partners. 

Negative rep'd you because you positive rep'd yourself. Slutty move. 

Anyway, of course the Jets will relate any contract requests/demands that Wilkerson has brought up to them. They're not trying to unload a used car on Craig's List, here. They're not going to get a deal done by withholding information or being dishonest. Another team could very well agree to Mo's asking price - or at least something very close to it. He's only not worth as much to the Jets because the Jets also have Leonard and Richardson. Most teams don't have two DEs of that caliber on their roster on rookie deals. 

And again, of course Mo will have to lower his price if he finds that no one is willing to pay him what he wants. Hard hitting breaking news right there. 

5 minutes ago, kennyo7 said:

Mo to the Jags for a 2nd and 5th round pick in 2016 and a 1st Rd pick in 2017. Do you make the deal?

Absolutely, doubt if Jax would though.  A another 1st in 2017 might be a ticket to a franchise QB.

21 minutes ago, slats said:

Negative rep'd you because you positive rep'd yourself. Slutty move. 

Anyway, of course the Jets will relate any contract requests/demands that Wilkerson has brought up to them. They're not trying to unload a used car on Craig's List, here. They're not going to get a deal done by withholding information or being dishonest. Another team could very well agree to Mo's asking price - or at least something very close to it. He's only not worth as much to the Jets because the Jets also have Leonard and Richardson. Most teams don't have two DEs of that caliber on their roster on rookie deals. 

And again, of course Mo will have to lower his price if he finds that no one is willing to pay him what he wants. Hard hitting breaking news right there. 

A poster claimed that he suspected the Jets have a deal already done with a team. I asked you - do you expect the first day of free agency for a Wilkerson trade to be announced.( I noticed you wouldn't answer it).

I would tell you to look up the word Collusion and how it applies to the NFL.  The player association found out they were sharing numbers, they would hit both teams with it.   That why player current teams( give permission to trading teams to let them speak to the players agents.     So they can see if they can work out a contract.    There is no sharing of information between the teams.    That is just wrong.

2 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

A poster claimed that he suspected the Jets have a deal already done with a team. I asked you - do you expect the first day of free agency for a Wilkerson trade to be announced.( I noticed you wouldn't answer it).

I would tell you to look up the word Collusion and how it applies to the NFL.  The player association found out they were sharing numbers, they would hit both teams with it.   That why player current teams( give permission to trading teams to let them speak to the players agents.     So they can see if they can work out a contract.    There is no sharing of information.    That is just wrong.

I don't answer because I didn't make any such claim, and you were trying to change the subject. 

You should perhaps look up the word collusion, because you don't seem to understand it. Sharing a player's contract demands before trading him is not in any way, shape, or form collusion. It's simply being open with potential trade partners, and I can guarantee you that it happens all the time when moving a player because of cost concerns. Collusion is every owner getting together to lower the price of free agents by colluding not to pay them. Saying, hey, Mo's a great player, but we're not paying him the X amount he's asking because we have Leonard and Sheldon under contract for peanuts, is not collusion. Nothing wrong about it. Except your position on the matter. That's wrong. 

For the record, it wouldn't surprise me if the Jets have a trading partner in place, and it wouldn't surprise me if Mo plays for the Jets this year under the tag. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't answer because I didn't make any such claim, and you were trying to change the subject. 

You should perhaps look up the word collusion, because you don't seem to understand it. Sharing a player's contract demands before trading him is not in any way, shape, or form collusion. It's simply being open with potential trade partners, and I can guarantee you that it happens all the time when moving a player because of cost concerns. Collusion is every owner getting together to lower the price of free agents by colluding not to pay them. Saying, hey, Mo's a great player, but we're not paying him the X amount he's asking because we have Leonard and Sheldon under contract for peanuts, is not collusion. Nothing wrong about it. Except your position on the matter. That's wrong. 

For the record, it wouldn't surprise me if the Jets have a trading partner in place, and it wouldn't surprise me if Mo plays for the Jets this year under the tag. 

That was the claim by a poster who started this discussion. ( So how was I changing the subject).

Their a ball park figure where they expect what Muhammad Willerson looking for. ( he is one better 3-4 defenders out there) No one considers Muhammad Wilkerson to be asking for Jj Watt money.( not even in the same zip zone as him,  as a player)      If that is true that's his demands, than you better expect not a single team to be interesting in trading for Him.( I don't think we will get a disagreement there.) 

Will post this question we were discussing to NFL insider with knowledge of what happens when teams are trading for players( is there a discussion between the teams whAt that players looking for).  If I get a response will Pm it to you.   No sense arguing about it, let's see what the experts say.

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Check out this little tidbit from the addicts board.. http://nflfans.com/x/showthread.php?100518-Take-this-for-what-its-worth

1. Mo absolutely wants the JJ Watt deal (6 years, 100 mil, 10 mil signing bonus, 50 mil in guarantees) and he hasn't come off that number since the beginning...and the Jets have no intention of paying him that. They will play him on the tag for this year and possibly next but are actively shopping him. Won't give him away but they are not giving him that contract.
2. The last Buffalo game has the CS concerned about Fitz. That he looked so bad in bad weather in a big game. They want him back...but they aren't blind to what he is.

Well if its on a message board its as good as gold.

Why wouldnt he ask for JJ money though?

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well if its on a message board its as good as gold.

Why wouldnt he ask for JJ money though?

He can ask for anything Fitz could ask for Eli money he had a better year..LOL Do you really believe if Mo was easy to deal with he wouldn't have a fair contract equal to his abilities?? 

This is exactly why the players & the union hate the franchise tag. Not only do you have to pay the player you have to give up picks in the process. Personally I think it's one of the best things ever developed by the league. Why should the Jets be penalized for one, making a good pick in the draft & 2 be at the mercy of a player and agent shooting for the moon & blowing up their salary cap. Now that he's been tagged & his agent can seek a trade we'll find out just how much Mo is thought about around the league. Reggie White would be gone by days end. Mo is no Reggie White.

But, if I'm the Jaguars & I HAVE TO SPEND, I'm trying to make a deal. Who else is available? Split the picks between this year & next, front load the contract and start kicking the Colts sh*tty azz. Mo makes too much sense for the Jags so it will probably never happen but I could see Chaka Khan biting.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is exactly why the players & the union hate the franchise tag. Not only do you have to pay the player you have to give up picks in the process. Personally I think it's one of the best things ever developed by the league. Why should the Jets be penalized for one, making a good pick in the draft & 2 be at the mercy of a player and agent shooting for the moon & blowing up their salary cap. Now that he's been tagged & his agent can seek a trade we'll find out just how much Mo is thought about around the league. Reggie White would be gone by days end. Mo is no Reggie White.

But, if I'm the Jaguars & I HAVE TO SPEND, I'm trying to make a deal. Who else is available? Split the picks between this year & next, front load the contract and start kicking the Colts sh*tty azz. Mo makes too much sense for the Jags so it will probably never happen but I could see Chaka Khan biting.

They tried shopping him last year when he was only due 7 million,so at more then double that and with many D-linemen in this draft Mo may not be going anywhere.. The Tag if no one wants him still lets him pocket 15 million plus this coming season so Mo could care less..

54 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Do you really believe if Mo was easy to deal with he wouldn't have a fair contract equal to his abilities?? 

"Easy to deal with" is shady lingo for being a good boy and taking a well below market deal while smiling and thanking his masas fo they kindness and generosity. 

The Jets didn't shop Wilkerson last year, but teams did call and ask about him.

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mo isn't going anywhere he's 1 of the cornerstones on the defense. 

All things being equal I would agree with this but until I find out what he wants it is not a 100% given.  The fact that the Jets have Williams and Richardson and this particular draft being loaded with Dline all equals not a sure thing if he wants more money than the team feel is appropriate.

Archived