Report: Wilkerson to Receive Franchise Tag

CrazyCarl40

21 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

"Easy to deal with" is shady lingo for being a good boy and taking a well below market deal while smiling and thanking his masas fo they kindness and generosity.

The Jets didn't shop Wilkerson last year, but teams did call and ask about him.

OH they didn't?  please post the link that says that...

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets almost have to trade him. Paying Mo $15.7 mil next year is not the smartest of choices and it means that almost every other one of our free agents are gonna walk + we won't be able to go after anybody really impactful. That's a recipe for a really disappointing next season unless we hit massive home runs in the draft.

11 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

OH they didn't?  please post the link that says that...

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/2_teams_reportedly_approached_jets_about_a_muhamma.html

It's interesting how much more often I am able to support my claims on Wilkerson than the other way around. You're better off just counting sacks and whining about cap space, at least that can dragged on and on. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/jets_muhammad_wilkerson_trade_options_same_as_they.html

In an ESPN Radio interview on Wednesday, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan repeated what he told reporters last week after the first round of the draft: Teams had asked before the draft about trading for defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, but the Jets aren't actively looking to trade him.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets roster was the same as it is, with the same cap space issues and all of the same pending free agents, etc, and Wilk was a free agent of another team, there is not a chance that the Jets even remotely try to sign him. Not one.

based on.....

Just now, Larz said:

based on.....

What's my opinion based on? The fact that the Jets have two good defensive ends on the team and Wilkerson would be viewed as a luxury as a UFA of another team. He wouldn't be a necessity. It's just looking at it from another perspective. The Jets wouldn't be in the market for another defensive end if Wilkerson wasn't already a Jets player. He's a luxury the Jets cannot afford.

What's my opinion based on? The fact that the Jets have two good defensive ends on the team and Wilkerson would be viewed as a luxury as a UFA of another team. He wouldn't be a necessity. It's just looking at it from another perspective. The Jets wouldn't be in the market for another defensive end if Wilkerson wasn't already a Jets player. He's a luxury the Jets cannot afford.

so they spent $15 million to tag him because......

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They don't want to lose him without getting anything in return. They will try to trade him. I'm not sure what your argument is here, or if you fully understand mine.

the day after they tag him, you post they don't want him.  You are correct, I don't understand that.

Just now, Larz said:

the day after they tag him, you post they don't want him.  You are correct, I don't understand that.

Yeah. That's not my point. I think it went over your head. I am saying they would not want him if he was a free agent of another team. It's different since he is a Jets free agent.

And, please, let's not give false equivalency to tagging and wanting. Just because you tag a player doesn't mean you want them. It just means you don't want to lose them without being compensated.

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

He can ask for anything Fitz could ask for Eli money he had a better year..LOL Do you really believe if Mo was easy to deal with he wouldn't have a fair contract equal to his abilities?? 

I love how you continually ask the question about Mo.  You're totally convinced that Mo is asking for crazy money and thats why nothing is done to this point.  Completely ignoring the possibility that the Jets are hard balling him because they have options at the position. 

And asking for JJ money is not a LOL.  Its opportunity.  The best players set the bar $ wise.  A few years down the road others who are lesser players get the same money.  Then JJ will get his next contract and blow them away again.  Only to be matched later on by another player.  It happens in every sport, all the time.  Why is this such a foreign concept to many?  

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

All things being equal I would agree with this but until I find out what he wants it is not a 100% given.  The fact that the Jets have Williams and Richardson and this particular draft being loaded with Dline all equals not a sure thing if he wants more money than the team feel is appropriate.

Im sorry to say i dont agree about the draft being loaded with DLine all those players are "what if" players Mo Wilk is an established NFL playmaker. 

Williams and Richardson are also proven lets not break up what could be the best DL in football. 

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

He can ask for anything Fitz could ask for Eli money he had a better year..LOL Do you really believe if Mo was easy to deal with he wouldn't have a fair contract equal to his abilities?? 

Fitz Eli money LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLL never even the jets wouldn't be that stupid.

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah. That's not my point. I think it went over your head. I am saying they would not want him if he was a free agent of another team. It's different since he is a Jets free agent.

And, please, let's not give false equivalency to tagging and wanting. Just because you tag a player doesn't mean you want them. It just means you don't want to lose them without being compensated.

then why did he get the most reps of any jets defender last year ?

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets roster was the same as it is, with the same cap space issues and all of the same pending free agents, etc, and Wilk was a free agent of another team, there is not a chance that the Jets even remotely try to sign him. Not one.

Assed backwards logic at its best

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

then why did he get the most reps of any jets defender last year ?

What does that have to do with anything? We all know he is a good player. I am speaking in a hypothetical (not a reality). I'm not sure you're understanding at all my point.

38 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/2_teams_reportedly_approached_jets_about_a_muhamma.html

It's interesting how much more often I am able to support my claims on Wilkerson than the other way around. You're better off just counting sacks and whining about cap space, at least that can dragged on and on.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/jets_muhammad_wilkerson_trade_options_same_as_they.html

You sir have impressed me for the first time.    I believed it was the other way around.

What does that have to do with anything? We all know he is a good player. I am speaking in a hypothetical (not a reality). I'm not sure you're understanding at all my point.

you are not speaking in reality I will concede that point

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Or, a completely palatable way of looking at the situation to logical people. It's a valid point.

So if the Pats were capped out you would be able to say if Brady was a FA he wouldn't be able to be resigned and that would prove what?

If Luck was a FA and we had 8 mil in cap room and no way of cutting $'s we wouldnt be able to sign him.  That proves what about Luck as a player, that he isnt good because we cant sign him?

Signing a player that has given you what he has for 5 years, who you know intimately, who has gone to war for you is a lot different that giving some unknown player the same money.   

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

So if the Pats were capped out you would be able to say if Brady was a FA he wouldn't be able to be signed and that would prove what?

Signing a player that has given you what he has for 5 years, who you know intimately, who has gone to war for you is a lot different that giving some unknown player the same money.   

Wait. So you know Brady intimately? You dog you.

On February 29, 2016 at 2:20 PM, slats said:

What happens with Mo and this tag really shapes the whole off season for the Jets. And they're really in a holding pattern until they either hammer out that long term deal or trade him. Keeping Mo for one season at $15.7M, then losing him to FA in 2017, and having nothing to show for it but a 2018 compensational third rounder would suck. Jets are not a Super Bowl contender this year, one year of Mo is just a bad idea. 

The front office has to be looking at trading him as a potential kickstart to their retool/rebuild. $15.7M and a first rounder, or a second & third, adds up to three or four quality starters. Seeing Mo on another team would suck, but they already have his replacement in the fold. Really wouldn't expect the DL play to drop off at all. 

Been saying this for a while.

They would take a 4th rounder if that was the top offer. They're not locking him up long term and they just didn't want him to walk and get literally nothing in return. And with the offset and the existing contracts whose guarantees expire soon, there's an excellent chance for movement that would involve us signing other teams' UFAs (i.e. we don't get that compensatory pick).

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

"Easy to deal with" is shady lingo for being a good boy and taking a well below market deal while smiling and thanking his masas fo they kindness and generosity. 

The Jets didn't shop Wilkerson last year, but teams did call and ask about him.

By easy to deal with I meant signing a deal like others did that had similar 3-4 DE stats.. You seem to think he's equal to Watt some of us don't agree..

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

By easy to deal with I meant signing a deal like others did that had similar 3-4 DE stats.. You seem to think he's equal to Watt some of us don't agree..

You seem to think that the Watt contract is comparable despite giving Watt not just one but two $10 million dollar rasises in years the Texans already had him under contract. You also seem to think that easy to deal means taking the same or less than what Calais Campbell took 4 years ago in a completely different cap environment. By easy to deal you mean being a good boy and taking a below market deal, plain and simple. 

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

Got to agree with Champagne Cheeks here, something MORE in the realm of what Cameron Jordan signed:

"Jordan and the Saints have agreed to a five-year deal with $33.8 million in guaranteed money, Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports reports. The deal includes $27 million in the first two years and a total value of “up to” $60 million, according to the report."

or 

Cameron Heyward signed: "On July 16, 2015, Heyward signed a six-year $59.25M contract with the Steelers"

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Got to agree with Champagne Cheeks here, something MORE in the realm of what Cameron Jordan signed:

"Jordan and the Saints have agreed to a five-year deal with $33.8 million in guaranteed money, Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports reports. The deal includes $27 million in the first two years and a total value of “up to” $60 million, according to the report."

or 

Cameron Heyward signed: "On July 16, 2015, Heyward signed a six-year $59.25M contract with the Steelers"

Wilkerson's consistently rated higher than both those players throughout their careers and should easily get more.

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

This is exactly why the players & the union hate the franchise tag. Not only do you have to pay the player you have to give up picks in the process. Personally I think it's one of the best things ever developed by the league. Why should the Jets be penalized for one, making a good pick in the draft & 2 be at the mercy of a player and agent shooting for the moon & blowing up their salary cap. Now that he's been tagged & his agent can seek a trade we'll find out just how much Mo is thought about around the league. Reggie White would be gone by days end. Mo is no Reggie White.

But, if I'm the Jaguars & I HAVE TO SPEND, I'm trying to make a deal. Who else is available? Split the picks between this year & next, front load the contract and start kicking the Colts sh*tty azz. Mo makes too much sense for the Jags so it will probably never happen but I could see Chaka Khan biting.

Thing is though if I'm Jacksonville and I'm sitting there with $75 million in cap room and no state income tax in Florida I wouldn't want Wilk.  Why give up a top draft pick when I can sign easily 5-6 blue chip free agents to help my defense that won't cost draft picks?

Mario Williams won't cost me a 1st round pick.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

All things being equal I would agree with this but until I find out what he wants it is not a 100% given.  The fact that the Jets have Williams and Richardson and this particular draft being loaded with Dline all equals not a sure thing if he wants more money than the team feel is appropriate.

I think Mo is a Jet next season.  Either Mac gets a long-term deal done or sticks to his guns and makes Mo play the year out with the tag.

Keep Mo, sign a cheap FA like Kenrick Ellis or Paul Solai to start at Nose -- seems to be the plan.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Wilkerson's consistently rated higher than both those players throughout their careers and should easily get more.

Does his better play equal an extra $20-30 mil over the contracts life? 'Cause I have a feeling that's what he's looking for.

30 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Does his better play equal an extra $20-30 mil over the contracts life? 'Cause I have a feeling that's what he's looking for.

Sure, why not? Those guys chose to leave money on the table in favor of an earlier pay day, and on top of it aren't as good anyway. 

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Ugh . . . . I made a vow to not bicker with Mr. PussyKitty, but I can't let a generalized blanket statement like that stand. Yes, his numbers are SLIGHTLY higher compared to Jordan & Heyward:

Cameron Jordan in 80 games: 

Total tackles: 240
Sacks: 39.0
Pass deflections: 20
Interceptions: 1
Forced fumbles: 6

Cameron Heyward in 80 games: 

Tackles: 161
Sacks: 17.0
Forced fumbles: 2
Pass Deflections: 12

Mo in 77 games: 

Total tackles: 292
Sacks: 36.5
Forced fumbles: 9
Pass deflections: 20
Safeties: 1

His numbers are CONGRUENT but NOT to justify as @32EBoozer states below JJ Watt $$$ which has yielded  MUCH HIGHER #s & statistical production:

JJ Watt's #s

Tackles: 371
Quarterback sacks: 74.5
Passes defended: 45
Forced fumbles: 15
Touchdowns: 5

THOSE Stats & #s by Watt MERIT a $21M/year salary. His STATS DWARF THOSE OF MO and JC/CH. So for Mo to be demanding Watt $$$ is ASININE and BRAINDEAD as anyone who advocates AS SUCH.

45 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Thank you. Please enlighten our feline friends to PROPER thinking and CONTRACT negotiations in PROPER MARKET VALUE. This is why Ms. Dog is Man's best friend. :-)  

Great, now there's this pyscho....

his numbers are SLIGHTLY higher compared to Jordan & Heyward:

Yeah, those gaps aren't slight. Heyward shouldn't even be in the conversation. Jordan's a nice player who gets to pin his ears back and pad his pass rushing stats playing for a great passing offense, he isn't on Wilkerson's level.

As an aside, I hope you understand that a grown man typing a bunch of capitalized words and generally acting like a ****/twat isn't a positive difference maker for you.

30 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Great, now this capital letter pyscho....

Yeah, those gaps aren't slight. Heyward shouldn't even be in the conversation. 

don't get personal. I have NOT insulted you personally, so DON'T call me a psycho.

If, as RUMORS stated, Mo is asking for Watt $$$, your CHEAP @$$ argument doesn't hold water in that Mo is JUSTIFIED is seeking such annual compensation for his services when Mo's Production is NO WHERE NEAR what Watt makes. 

You never have a VALID argument to your WEAK @$$ claims/arguments or counterpoints. Others here will agree. 

I've said my peace and PROVED my point. Kirk Lazarus avatar is a Fȕcking Rệtard

PS - 

Way to ADD this AFTER a typical back-track once again realizing a WEAK argument is made:

30 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Jordan's a nice player who gets to pin his ears back and pad his pass rushing stats playing for a great passing offense, he isn't on Wilkerson's level.

As an aside, I hope you understand that a grown man typing a bunch of capitalized words and generally acting like a ****/twat isn't a positive difference maker for you.

Words of an imbecile. 

Archived