kelly

Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

Our New York Jets mailbag, Week 9 edition :

Nick Sampson @Nick_elodeon55

@RichCimini chances Jets resign Fitz after this season? #jetsmail

I think there's a good chance they keep Ryan Fitzpatrick, who will be a free agent. Obviously, there are a number of variables, but this much we know: He's the only legitimate candidate among the three quarterbacks on the roster. Geno Smith isn't the answer and Bryce Petty won't be ready, so Fitzpatrick could be the ideal "bridge" quarterback. A lot depends on how the rest of the season plays out. If he stays healthy and gets the Jets to the playoffs, why wouldn't you re-sign him?

It's not like next year's free-agent class is stacked with great options -- Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford and Drew Stanton are the top guys. If someone like Matthew Stafford or Colin Kaepernick becomes available, or maybe a Drew Brees, I think you'd have to consider them. The thing you like about Fitzpatrick is that he feels comfortable in Chan Gailey's offense and Gailey feels comfortable with him. It's a good match.Is Fitzpatrick a franchise quarterback? No. Is he a long-term answer? Probably not. But he's only 32, so it's not like his best football is behind him. Again, it depends on the final nine games. He has started 16 games only twice in his career (2011-2012, Buffalo Bills), and those weren't exactly stellar years. He has to prove he can be a consistent quarterback for a full season.

There's also the matter of money. If Fitzpatrick has a strong finish, he'll be looking to at least double his current salary ($3.25 million). The player who replaced him in Houston, Brian Hoyer, got $10.5 million for two years. Fitzpatrick is having a better year than Hoyer, and he has better credentials overall, so you have to believe he'd be seeking north of $6 million a year. The Jets will have cap issues in 2016, and they have the Muhammad Wilkerson situation hanging over their head, so there will be many factors that go into the quarterback decision.

But, unless he implodes, Fitzpatrick might be the best bet.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55824/re-upping-with-ryan-fitzpatrick-could-be-jets-best-bet-for-2016

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cimini has become a master at stating the obvious but at least his discussion of the cap implications is food for thought.  I'm liking what I've seen from Fitz and I think we can get at least two more decent seasons out of him which I would take in a New York minute as compared to our recent QB woes.

• Upvote 2

I'm in favor of resigning Fitzgerald, but not sure that I agree with Cimini's statement that Petty "won't be ready" next year. Too early to say that IMO 

• Upvote 2

Lol, cap issues.  

Ferguson is not going to get his $14 million

Mangold is not going to get his $9 million

Cro is not going to get his $8 million

Coples is not going to get his $7 million

We are currently $9 million in cap space based on $150 Million.  

• Upvote 3

They will resign Fitzpatrick, draft a QB prospect in April, sign an inexpensive vet QB and show Smith the way to the exit.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lol, cap issues.  

Ferguson is not going to get his $14 million

Mangold is not going to get his $9 million

Cro is not going to get his $8 million

Coples is not going to get his $7 million

We are currently $9 million in cap space based on $150 Million.  

Great point. With Decker/Marshall/Smith/Ivory/hopefully Amaro/the new Seconday & drafting Mauldin/Reilly, we need to start finding young replacements for our Oline. It's time to find some young Oline studs again. I'm having fun this year, but next year could be really special if Mac can nail the 2016 draft. Fitz is good enough to hold the fort while Petty continues to learn from him.

• Upvote 2

Isn't Ivory a FA after this season?

He is indeed.

The Jets have to find a quarterback. They have to they have to they have to. Nothing else matters. Nothing. Zip. Zero. That means roster spots are at a premium. No clue what that means for Fitz and Petty but the Jets cannot afford to risk any roster space. They have to throw as many darts at the board until one finally sticks. Zero chance we ever have any sort of continuity and sustained success until we find a quarterback, and the entire offseason for 2016 has to be dedicated to some sort of cohesive plan to finding one.

Agree 100%.... and I actually like Fitz.  It is fun to root for him.

Agree 100%.... and I actually like Fitz.  It is fun to root for him.

I do too. It's been a pleasant change having a QB that at the very least doesn't turn the ball over a billion times every game. He's a guy that's secure with his ceiling and he plays within that. That's a great quality to have.

• Upvote 1

Isn't Ivory a FA after this season?

Free Agent RBs don't get huge contracts, especially RBs who don't stay healthy which Ivory fits into that box. He'll reup with Jets if he's happy here for the same $s he could get elsewhere. We need to find a complimentary RB who's fast & can catch out of the backfield, Duke Johnson would have been perfect in the 3rd round last year. I feel that would have helped this team more in 2015 than Mauldin. But hopefully Mauldin becomes a starter next year, if not it was a wasted 3rd round pick.

Edited by Jetster
  • Upvote 1

They will resign Fitzpatrick, draft a QB prospect in April, sign an inexpensive vet QB and show Smith the way to the exit.

so you think we will waste 4 roster slots on qbs?

so you think we will waste 4 roster slots on qbs?

Of course not

1. They will cut Geno in January ending all discussion of wasted roster spots

2. They will resign Fitz (1)

3. Petty will be the presumed backup going into the off-season (2)

4. They will draft a prospect QB in April and sign an inexpensive vet to compete. One of those will be (3)

There will be 4 on the 90 man roster but only 3 on the final 53

I'm in favor of resigning Fitzgerald, but not sure that I agree with Cimini's statement that Petty "won't be ready" next year. Too early to say that IMO 

I agree with what you say, but I think you have to work on the basis that he won't be ready, and hope he proves you wrong.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

biggest secret in the NFL. Not this year, probably not start of next year, but i expect Bryce Petty to take over next year and not look back for 10 years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476322/article/jon-gruden-bryce-petty-might-have-the-best-arm-talent-in-draft

P.S. Cut Geno, resign Fitz

Edited by k-met57
  • Upvote 2

I know you all are in love with him but Fitzpatrick is NOT the future of this team. He is a temp for this season cause they couldnt and didnt get anyone else. If you ready to anoint him the king of NY like you did to Sanchez and to Geno, YOU ARE STUPID AND HAVE LEARNED NOTHING.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know you all are in love with him but Fitzpatrick is NOT the future of this team. He is a temp for this season cause they couldnt and didnt get anyone else. If you ready to anoint him the king of NY like you did to Sanchez and to Geno, YOU ARE STUPID AND HAVE LEARNED NOTHING.

I gave you a thumbs down.  You are the only one here talking about anointing anyone.  I'm hoping for at least one and possibly two more seasons out of Fitz.  

• Upvote 3

there going to be at least 4 QB better than Fitz after the season,we need a strong arm QB

Arm strength is over rated. We need better than what Fitz has, but we don't need a cannon.

We need a QB who can make all the throws and keep his composure in big spots.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Fitz is not a terrible floor. Resign him and hope to hit pay dirt in draft/FA/trade but Fitz at least allows us to be competitive.

• Upvote 1

I would definitely resign him at a reasonable rate. He provides a veteran presence we haven't had at that position in years.

- Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who tore at least one ligament in his non-throwing thumb last week, didn't rule out the possibility of surgery on Friday -- one day after New York faces the Bills.That Fitzpatrick needs surgery isn't news -- the Jets made that clear from the outset -- but the timing is curious. It was widely assumed he would play through the injury and wait until after the season to have surgery.Fitzpatrick told CBS in a production meeting that he'd probably opt for the surgery before the end of the season, the network reported Sunday during the Jets' victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Somebody reported that? I don't know, it's still kind of up in the air," Fitzpatrick said after the game.Asked directly if Friday is a possibility, Fitzpatrick said, "Yes. I have to get surgery at some point."Because of a 10-day break after New York plays the Bills, Fitzpatrick could conceivably be ready to play Week 11 without missing a game. If not, the Jets (5-3) could start Geno Smith against the Houston Texans on Nov. 22.

The Jets' bye week came in Week 5, so they have no other breaks in their schedule. That explains why Fitzpatrick sees Friday as the best opportunity."[It's] possible to play one week after UCL thumb surgery," said Dr. David Chao, a former longtime NFL team doctor. "The Jets would be smart to do it Friday and use the extra three days."

Playing for the first time with the injury, Fitzpatrick wore a brace under a protective glove. He said "it wasn't really a huge factor." He played a turnover-free game and completed 21 of 34 passes for 272 yards and two touchdowns. He was sacked twice."I thought we came into the game -- doctors, trainers, everybody -- with a great game plan, in terms of how I was going to manage," Fitzpatrick said. "I was great throughout the game. A number of times I was handing off with my left hand."

Coach Todd Bowles said Fitzpatrick did "fine" with his injury.

"He played his type of ballgame," Bowles said. "He didn't turn the ball over. He did a good job."

>     http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14086761/ryan-fitzpatrick-newyork-jets-says-friday-date-left-thumb-surgery

Most of the attention this week is focused on Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan, but let's not forget about the other Ryan -- Ryan Fitzpatrick.Fitzpatrick is known as the smart, bearded quarterback who has led the New York Jets to a 5-3 record after replacing Geno Smith in the preseason, but there's more to him than that. Fitzpatrick has had a fascinating career and an interesting life. He grew up in Arizona, attended Harvard and has bounced around the NFL -- six teams in 11 years.

Here are five things you might not know about the Jets' starting quarterback :

1. Fitzpatrick needs only two touchdown passes to become the most prolific former Ivy League passer in the NFL. That distinction belongs to Pro Football Hall of Famer Sid Luckman (Columbia), who threw 137 touchdowns in his legendary career. "Look out, Sid. Here I come," Fitzpatrick joked recently. He has thrown touchdowns to 40 different players, a rather eclectic group that includes Terrell Owens, J.J. Watt and Isaac Bruce. Which player has caught the most? It's not even close -- Stevie Johnson (23), formerly of the Bills.

2. Fitzpatrick graduated Harvard in 2005 with a degree in economics. Football has provided an economic boom for Fitzpatrick, who has made $39 million over the course of his career, according to Spotrac. Not bad for a seventh-round pick, the 250th player selected in the 2006 draft.

3. He has come a long way from the high school kid who lasted only two weeks working at a Wendy's. Rumor has it a customer once complained about receiving a bun with no burger in it. Fitzpatrick acknowledged in a recent interview that, yes, it happened on his watch, but he wouldn't say if he was directly responsible. He had a much cooler job in college, working as an intern for Boston Celtics icon Red Auerbach. He got the unpaid gig through general manager Danny Ainge, whose sons played high school basketball with Fitzpatrick. Basically, he was a go-fer, fetching Red's prescriptions from the drug store. He met him only once.

4. One of Fitzpatrick's fingers has been in the news lately -- his ailing left thumb, which has a torn ligament. This isn't the first time people have been talking about one of his digits. A few years back, during his days as the Bills' starter, he spoke to the New York Times about why he wears his wedding ring during games -- a rarity in the NFL. "I haven't seen a reason to take it off, I guess," he said. "It stands for something." He proposed to his wife, the former Liza Barber, at a McDonald's (sorry, Wendy's). Fitzpatrick said he popped the question between her third and fourth Chicken McNugget. How romantic. Barber, too, attended Harvard. She was a standout soccer player and claims to have been one of the first people to sign up for Facebook. Can't make the Facebook-Harvard connection? Check out "The Social Network" movie.

5. Fitzpatrick is smart. How smart? Before the draft, he scored a 48 out of 50 on the Wonderlic intelligence test, reportedly the highest score ever for a quarterback. Fast-forward to last spring. He always wanted to learn how to solve a Rubik's Cube, so he asked a 12-year-old kid from his Houston neighborhood to teach him. Fitzpatrick learned quickly, and now he can solve it in less than two minutes. So can his 8-year-old son, Brady, who made headlines last year at a postgame news conference when he joined his dad at the podium and wowed the assembled media by calculating a long multiplication problem in his head. Brady probably doesn't need a computer, or an ESPN Stats & Information rep, to compute his dad's current Total QBR -- 76.7, third best in the NFL.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55998/a-quarterbacks-life-ryan-fitzpatrick-from-fast-food-to-feeding-his-brain

The Jets have to find a quarterback. They have to they have to they have to. Nothing else matters. Nothing. Zip. Zero. That means roster spots are at a premium. No clue what that means for Fitz and Petty but the Jets cannot afford to risk any roster space. They have to throw as many darts at the board until one finally sticks. Zero chance we ever have any sort of continuity and sustained success until we find a quarterback, and the entire offseason for 2016 has to be dedicated to some sort of cohesive plan to finding one.

Yep.  There will be "Glennon Threads". As far as the eyes could see.