Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

Hoping for another season of Fitz is completely ridiculous.  We win some games against crappy teams that turn over the ball a lot and all of a second this complete JAG is a multi-season QB for us??? Screw that. Fitz can literally win only one type of football game: a game where we get turnovers and get ahead. Can he beat a team with a top QB? NO Can he beat a winning team? NO (What is it? Once total since 2011?) Can he come back in the 4th quarter? NO Can he lead us to quick scores? NO

Fact: Fitz SUCKS. Period.

He may also be the best option this year. But to think about him starting past this year? Complete and total idiocy.

Interesting you keep mentioning that Fitz can't score points in the 2nd half, or 4th quarter to bring the team back from behind,   But yet in 10 games this season Fitz has scored 147 points in the 2nd half, and 78 points in the 4th quarter.  last year in 14 games smith scored 109 points in the 2nd half, and 51 points in the 4th quarter.

Just pointing that out

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like the team loves what he has done so the big non fitz people will be upset when he gets a new deal (probably 2 years).  I like the job Fitz has done but if the Jets are not looking hard at any and all ways to upgrade the position they are nuts including trades for or picking up better vets, drafting a Qb high etc.  I also hope they are not pining their 'future QB prospects' on Petty.  He's got some promise but his existence should not limit us come draft day if QB value is there for us in any given round.

sure right behind Andy dalton then? lol fitz has one game where he gets to pad the stats against a team that gave up and all the homers come out. The Giants are going to kill us on sunday

OK, I see you like to over exaggerate things.  Fitz's stats right now put him square in the middle of the pack of QB's.  Half the league is either yearning for a QB to play that well or has a rookie that they're suffering through the warts in hopes that maybe someday he'll play better than Fitz.  So what exactly is your point?  Re-upping Fitz is by far the best decision to make.  Geno is as good as gone, we likely will draft another QB, and we very unlikely will find a QB on the FA market who's going to perform better than Fitz.  You don't have to re-up the guy with a guarantee he's going to start, 

sure right behind Andy dalton then? lol fitz has one game where he gets to pad the stats against a team that gave up and all the homers come out. The Giants are going to kill us on sunday

Giants probably are going to kill us Sunday, but I don't think it would be because of Fitz, I think their offense is going to shred our defense, we don't match up well at with them at all.

Giants probably are going to kill us Sunday, but I don't think it would be because of Fitz, I think their offense is going to shred our defense, we don't match up well at with them at all.

I'm beginning to think you are a troll.  Your username doesn't help in that regard either.  

The Giants will likely be down 3 offensive starting lineman and can't run the ball. Bracket OBJ and win. Eli will Eli and the Jets just need to score some points. The Jets match-up fine against the Giants.

I'm beginning to think you are a troll.  Your username doesn't help in that regard either.  

I dont really care what you think of me..... I meant we don't match up well with them with our defense against their defense. I think our offense will move the ball on that defense, and if we don't turn it over often, we should put up points.

The Giants will likely be down 3 offensive starting lineman and can't run the ball. Bracket OBJ and win. Eli will Eli and the Jets just need to score some points. The Jets match-up fine against the Giants.

The Giants Oline will mug our Dline on every play, and it will never get called, watch. The Giants throw a ton of slants, and with OBJ we will have no answer for it, and they always take and hit deep shots down the field, which we have been getting killed on most of the season. Their offense is going to score a lot of points if the refs allow the Giants to neutralize our strength on D via the hold with no calls, which I fully suspect will happen.

Interesting you keep mentioning that Fitz can't score points in the 2nd half, or 4th quarter to bring the team back from behind,   But yet in 10 games this season Fitz has scored 147 points in the 2nd half, and 78 points in the 4th quarter.  last year in 14 games smith scored 109 points in the 2nd half, and 51 points in the 4th quarter.

Just pointing that out

bid difference in scoring in  the 2nd half and scoring in the 2nd half when it matters...I need to stop getting sucked into these threads...neither side us going to sway the other...I find the Fitz support at the level it is at baffling, but obviously the reverse us true 

I dont really care what you think of me..... I meant we don't match up well with them with our defense against their defense. I think our offense will move the ball on that defense, and if we don't turn it over often, we should put up points.

I think the Giants are an opportunistic team on both sides of the ball so in that sense matchups are less critical than they might otherwise be. Is that your point? 

I would not re-sign Fitz but instead look to upgrade the QB position by any means necessary.  Fitz is a good game manager type of QB and plays well with the lead, but when asked to go out and win games, he's a different QB.  Average at best.  Overall, I would rate him slightly above average compared to other QB's in the league, but this team is built to win now IMO, and if they cant even make the playoffs this year WITH Fitz at the helm, I see no reason to give him 16 more games next year.  The jets have to do whatever it takes each and every year until they find their franchise QB.

- Sunday's quarterback matchup features The Pillar and the Rolling Stone.

For 12 seasons, Eli Manning has been the starting quarterback for the New York Giants. Considering the enormity of his recent contract extension, there's a very good chance he will finish his career in blue, making him a rarity in sports.

On the other side is Ryan Fitzpatrick. Before landing with the New York Jets last offseason, he started for five different teams. It blows his mind when he considers Manning's remarkable run with the Giants.

"That's not even something I could imagine," he said.

Fitzpatrick still is only 33 years old, the prime years for a quarterback, so there's still time to settle down. Maybe, just maybe it'll be with the Jets, whose future at the position is up in the air. Geno Smith probably missed his chance and Bryce Petty isn't ready, making Fitzpatrick -- a free agent -- a viable possibility.

Todd Bowles sounds like he'd be cool with that."Sometimes, you have to bounce around to find your home," the Jets' coach said. "I've seen a lot of guys bounce around on practice squads and different teams before they became stars. It was his time. He's at the right age, he's got the right mindset, he's got the right demeanor. It's his time."

Crazy business, huh? A week ago, there were whispers about Fitzpatrick's job security. He responded by throwing four touchdown passes to beat the Miami Dolphins, keeping the Jets (6-5) in the wild-card race. A lot can happen over the final five games. If Fitzpatrick gets them to the playoffs, how can they not re-sign him?

He's had a few hiccups, but Fitzpatrick has 20 touchdown passes, and that hasn't happened too often with this franchise -- only 12 times in history. To think, he began as the No. 2 quarterback, behind Smith, who lost the job when his jaw was broken by IK Enemkpali.

"Misfortunes happen," Bowles said. "(Fitzpatrick) got a shot at No. 1 and he never gave it back."

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56680/jets-coach-todd-bowles-on-ryan-fitzpatrick-its-his-time

Ryan Fitzpatrick is enjoying a season that might just end up among the best in Jets history. 

The Jets are 6-5, smack dab in the middle of the race for the Wild Card and with an offense that is better than most expected. It is Fitzpatrick who is leading the way, especially for a passing offense that is far improved from the past three seasons. With five games left in the season, Fitzpatrick is on pace to post numbers that will be among the all-time best in franchise history. His projected numbers for passing yards (3,601), touchdowns (28) and completions (305) will rank among the best ever in a single season for a Jets quarterback: 

--> If Fitzpatrick holds serve and throws for 3,601 yards this season as he is projected, he will have the fifth best passing season in franchise history and will pass (pun intended) Richard Todd's season in 1983. He will also be above Mark Sanchez's third year in the league in 2011 and Brett Favre's numbers during his lone season with the Jets in 2008. Fitzpatrick can very easily move into fourth place on the list as Ken O'Brien's 3,690 yards in 1986 are well within reach. 

--> 28 touchdowns would put Fitzpatrick second on the all-time list, just one behind Vinny Testaverde's touchdown total from 1998. That would be more touchdowns in a season than the aforementioned Favre as well as Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath. That's not bad company.  

--> The accurate short to mid-range game of Fitzpatrick has him on pace to finish the year with 305 completions, which would be good enough for fifth all-time. Ahead of him are Sanchez (2011) and Todd (1983), who both had 308 completions in their best seasons with the Jets. Those are numbers that Fitzpatrick can easily reach. 

The fact that his numbers after just one season with the Jets would rank among the best in franchise history is either a positive that Fitzpatrick is in a system that maximizes his skillset or shows how truly bad this position has been for this team for so many years. In fact, for the history of the franchise there are only a couple of truly outstanding years by a quarterback.  If he finishes with 28 touchdowns as currently projected, it would be the most he's ever thrown in any one of his 11 NFL seasons. The passing yards would be the second most of his NFL career, behind only 2011 when he threw for 3,832 with the Buffalo Bills. The 305 completions would be the third most that he's thrown. 

All in all, not too shabby for 'Fitzmagic.' But while Fitzpatrick is on pace for a record-breaking season, his numbers could have and should have been higher. A hand injury in October definitely derailed some of his progress and cut short a game against the Oakland Raiders that he started 4-for-5 for 46 yards before the injury. If he had played that game, the projections for the year would almost certainly be better. And with five games left, the numbers could also be better than projected. 

On Sunday, the Jets play at the New York Giants, the league's worst passing defense. In subsequent weeks they face the Titans with the sixth best pass defense and then the Dallas Cowboys, who are seventh best against the pass – both these games will be a challenge for the Jets to get the ball moving down the field, through the air.  But then they close out with the New England Patriots (No. 19) and the Buffalo Bills (No. 22), pass defenses that are in the bottom half of the NFL statistically. 

>    http://www.metro.us/new-york/ryan-fitzpatrick-on-pace-for-one-of-greatest-passing-seasons-in-jets-franchise-history/zsJolb---NWeqWpVy7gXEw/

— NFL vagabond Ryan Fitzpatrick this week got his first look of what the Jets-Giants rivalry means — while at a hockey game.

Fitzpatrick and one of his sons attended the Rangers' win over Carolina at Madison Square on Monday night, and the Jets quarterback got a loud ovation from the fans when he was shown on the Jumbotron. He also got a chance to interact with some of the spectators."When I left," he said, "there were a couple of chants going back and forth, whether they were for the green team or the blue team, some animated fans. That was one of my first tastes of maybe some of the hostility between the fans. That was a cool experience for me. That was fun."

Fitzpatrick will see what it's like Sunday to be a visitor in his own stadium when the Jets play the Giants in a pivotal contest for both teams."Just being on the opposite sideline," Fitzpatrick said Wednesday, "and not having access to the good seats for the family and parking in a different parking lot and all of that stuff will be a little bit goofy, but I'm sure we'll get over it."And what does he think of the cross-stadium rivalry?

"The rivalry thing is hard for me now," Fitzpatrick said, smiling, "because I've pretty much been on every team in the NFL."

Actually, Fitzpatrick is only with his sixth team in the league."I guess if it's a team I haven't been on before it's a little less of a rivalry," he joked. "But I know that this [game] means a lot to a lot of different people around here, but it's the next game for us. It's one we know we've got to go out there and play well to beat a good opponent. It's just kind of the next step for us."

The next step toward the playoffs, perhaps, although Fitzpatrick certainly doesn't want to think about that just yet, even though the 11th-year pro never has been to the postseason."Yeah, I mean I'd love to get there," he said. "I've watched plenty of ex-teammates and buddies [in it], so I'm a little bit jealous and patiently been waiting my turn. That's not the focus right now, the focus is just kind of on this game and trying to get another win."The starting quarterbacks provide an interesting contrast, in that Eli Manning is a fixture in blue and white. Sunday will mark Manning's 190th consecutive start for the Giants, including playoffs.

Still, Fitzpatrick believes the twists and turns in his career have helped make him the player he is today.

"I think you're a little naïve when you first get into the league," said Fitzpatrick, who has 20 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions in 2015."I started with the Rams. I thought I'd stay there for a while, that only lasted [two] years. I could list them all, I don't know if we have enough time. Basically for me, I try to learn as much as I can from each spot I'm at from all the different coaches and players."There's a different reason for each scenario in terms of why I haven't stayed in one place," he said. "I just try to make the most of it. … I've enjoyed where I've played. I think it's made me a better quarterback moving around and having to pick up different offenses.

"I feel like I'm a much better player now," Fitzpatrick said, "than I was four years ago just because of the experiences I've had. I wouldn't trade it for anything."He admitted, "I don't know if I have a full understanding and appreciation of [the rivalry] but hopefully come Sunday [I will]."And maybe by then he will have etched his name in Jets-Giants lore, one way or another.

>       http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/jets/experience-matters-for-jets-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-1.1466789

Normally, I would say that the Jets don't have a lot of options.  Best case scenario, he is your back-up for the next 2 years.  Worst case, Petty still needs some time (and anyone we draft does too) and he starts the first half of next season.  He knows the system and the players love him.  So, you want him to stay.  Fortunately, there are a bunch of FA QBs coming out this off-season; I don't think any are really worth pursuing by the Jets (unless something major happens), but it should help soften the market a bit.

The problem is that Fitz has proved he can win for the Jets; people will likely rate him in the top 20 category (or close); therefore, there are roughly 12 teams that will think he is worth a short term contract.  So, we can't do the 'sign the beast for short money' stuff.  Even if Petty is the man or we draft someone who is, you want Fitz as your backup and you are going to have to pay backup QB money at least.

Six teams and 11 NFL seasons.

That's what it has taken for Ryan Fitzpatrick - a classic journeyman quarterback - to perhaps finally find a home.

''Well, law of averages would say that I've got to be getting close,'' Fitzpatrick said with a bearded grin.He wasn't the starter when the New York Jets opened training camp, but a then-teammate's punch to Geno Smith's jaw created an opportunity. Fitzpatrick calmly stepped in and won over the players and his coaches.''Obviously, he was (No.) 2 and Geno was (No.) 1 at the time,'' coach Todd Bowles said. ''But misfortunes happen and he got a shot at (No.) 1 - and he never gave it back.''

The 33-year-old veteran has thrown for 2,476 yards with 20 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He's on pace to become the first quarterback in Jets history to have 30 TD passes in a season.

Yes, more than Joe Namath.

Or, for that matter, any of the 27 other men to have started a game at quarterback for the Jets since the days of Broadway Joe.''I feel like I'm a much better player now than I was four years ago just because of the experiences I've had,'' Fitzpatrick said. ''I wouldn't trade it for anything.''As a seventh-round draft pick out of Harvard in 2005,

Fitzpatrick's first stop was St. Louis. After two years with the Rams, he went to Cincinnati (2007-08), then Buffalo (2009-12), Tennessee (2013) and Houston (2014).He started some games, sat for others - but learned the entire time. After all, what would you expect from an Ivy League guy who to this day earned the highest Wonderlic Test score by a quarterback preparing for the NFL draft?Fitzpatrick has never been flashy and his career has been mostly solid but unspectacular. His best years came under Chan Gailey with the Bills, for whom Fitzpatrick threw for at least 3,000 yards and 23 touchdowns in each of those three seasons.

''I think you're a little naive when you first get into the league,'' Fitzpatrick said. ''I started with the Rams and I thought I'd stay there for a while, but that only lasted a few years. ... There's a different reason for each scenario in terms of why I haven't stayed in one place. I just try to make the most of it.''When Bowles was hired in the offseason, he tabbed Gailey as his offensive coordinator. The Jets needed an experienced backup for Smith, and went after Fitzpatrick.The Texans traded him for a late-round conditional pick in March, a move that was largely overshadowed by New York's other bigger-name acquisitions such as Darrelle Revis, Brandon Marshall and Antonio Cromartie.But it could end up being general manager Mike Maccagnan's most important transaction.

The Jets were set on having Smith be the starter, but those plans were knocked out when linebacker Ikemefuna Enemkpali decked the quarterback in the middle of training camp and broke his jaw.''When he ended up becoming the starter, I knew exactly what to expect from him,'' Gailey said. ''He's very, very capable of being a productive quarterback in this league and he proves it.''There have been ups - last Sunday's four-TD performance against Miami - and some downs - three INTs in a loss to Philadelphia in September. But Fitzpatrick has given the Jets a reliable - and respected - leader.

When he went down with a torn ligament in his left thumb against Oakland on Nov. 1, it appeared to be yet another tough break in Fitzpatrick's career.But, he played through the injury on his non-throwing hand for two games, had surgery the day after playing Buffalo on Nov. 12 and hasn't missed a beat while wearing a brace on his thumb.''It tells you what kind of team you have, what kind of teammates they are,'' Gailey said.

The Jets are 6-5 and preparing to play the Giants, with every win keeping them on track in the AFC playoff hunt. And, despite all his stops, Fitzpatrick has never played in the postseason.''Yeah, I mean I'd love to get there,'' he said. ''I've watched plenty of ex-teammates and buddies, so I'm a little bit jealous and patiently been waiting my turn. That's not the focus right now. The focus is just kind of on this game and trying to get another win.''Fitzpatrick has enjoyed his first several months with the Jets, acknowledging that he's having fun playing football again. He's a free agent after this season, but he might just be a keeper for New York.''Sometimes, you have to bounce around to find your home,'' Bowles said. ''I've seen a lot of guys bounce around on practice squads and different teams before they became stars. It was his time. He's at the right age. He's got the right mindset.

''He's got the right demeanor and it's his time.''

>   http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ryan-fitzpatrick-finds-home-jets-starting-quarterback-234623596--nfl.html

Hoping for another season of Fitz is completely ridiculous.  We win some games against crappy teams that turn over the ball a lot and all of a second this complete JAG is a multi-season QB for us??? Screw that. Fitz can literally win only one type of football game: a game where we get turnovers and get ahead. Can he beat a team with a top QB? NO Can he beat a winning team? NO (What is it? Once total since 2011?) Can he come back in the 4th quarter? NO Can he lead us to quick scores? NO

Fact: Fitz SUCKS. Period.

He may also be the best option this year. But to think about him starting past this year? Complete and total idiocy.

Well so much for that inane argument.  Next bit of silliness? 

I see literally no scenario where Fitz isn't our starter next year.  And that doesn't bother me at all. 

I see one scenario in which Fitz isn't the starter next year, the CS believes Petty is the real deal.

Even with that, Fitz is the starter opening day next year.  

Lets be honest, with the way he played today, he's earned it

I see one scenario in which Fitz isn't the starter next year, the CS believes Petty is the real deal.

Even with that, Fitz is the starter opening day next year.  

Lets be honest, with the way he played today, he's earned it

I hope it's a hard decision but I think best case for Petty is he's got one more year to wait.  If he's the backup next season and gets a few appearances in (garbage time during a Jets blowout, not injuries) that's a good scenario.

Archived