Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. I just looked at the Alex Smith contract. $17m per with $45m guaranteed, and I'm sure Fitz's agent will use that as a barometer. In that case, F that. 

yeah in that case F that lets go 4-12 that's so much more appealing.

He's not getting 17 mil he will be in the 10-12 range like I stated earlier in this moronic thread.

Jets Signalcaller Was No. 2 in the NFL Regular Season in Our New-Millennium Metric, 'QB Keepability'

Some of the NFL's most versatile quarterbacks will be on display at this weekend's divisional round playoff games. You know, the guys who can throw it and run it, whether scrambling or bootlegging or sneaking or zone-reading, with equally devastating effectiveness.

On Saturday night, Aaron Rodgers takes his elusiveness to Arizona to face the Cardinals, right after Alex Smith and the Chiefs tackle the Patriots at Gillette Stadium. And those games are a fitting warmup to the Sunday showdown when Cam Newton and the Panthers take on Russell Wilson and the Seahawks.

It's a shame that another of 2015's top quick-footed QBs didn't make it to the postseason to add to the "rush" of the weekend. And that QB, of course, is the Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick.OK, you're not buying that hype. But this tricked-up intro is merely a way to say that Fitzpatrick was one of the best quarterbacks on foot in the league this past regular season. And we base that on an offbeat metric that we'll call QB Keepability.

The measure tells us who are the most effective quarterbacks when a "meaningful" play ends with the ball still in their hands. In other words, who has the best yards/touch average when "touch" is defined as rushing minus kneeldowns plus sacks. Who do you suspect might be the top three in QBK this season? We'll tell you in a few paragraphs.If we go just with the usual rushing numbers, Tennessee rookie Marcus Mariota was No. 1 among qualifying QBs with 7.41 yards/carry while Fitzpatrick was 15th at 4.50. But this statistic includes those problematic "victory formation" kneeldowns for zero or minus yards at the ends of halves and games.

If we factor out the KDs, Green Bay's Rodgers moves into the lead at 7.74 yards per "meaningful" carry, just inches ahead of Mariota's 7.67. Fitz remains well off the pace in 16th at 5.98.But we'll go one step further and mix in signalcallers' abilities to minimize the damage when they're being pressured or sacked. And here Fitzpatrick, along with help from the Jets' protection, soared up the list to No. 2 at 2.83 yards/touch, behind only his fellow AFC East competitor, Tyrod Taylor of Buffalo, who led the NFL at 3.02.

QB "KEEPABILITY" INDEX, 2015 NFL REGULAR SEASON

(Selected Qualifying Quarterbacks)

Quarterback, Team

Yds/

Rush           

Rank

Yds/

Rush-KD      

Rank

Yards/

Rush-KD Sax

Rank
Tyrod Taylor, BUF 5.46 9th 6.66 11th 3.02 1st
Ryan Fitzpatrick, JETS 4.50 15th 5.98 15th 2.83 2nd
Cam Newton, CAR 4.82 14th 5.45 19th 2.40 4th
Alex Smith, KC 5.93 t-5th 7.08 8th 2.35 5th
Russell Wilson, SEA 5.37 10th 6.47 12th 2.29 6th
Aaron Rodgers, GB 5.93 t-5th 7.74 1st 0.46 15th
Marcus Mariota, TEN 7.41 1st 7.67 2nd –0.07 17th

Fitzpatrick not surprisingly downplayed his "keepability" last month after the win over the Titans and Mariota."I think defenses look at the scouting report," he said. "I ran a 4.88 at the combine. I’m not very fast, so I think it surprises them or catches them off guard. You know, I’m definitely not No. 1 on the list in terms of guys that they need to stop. They’re going to do things to stop guys and sometimes I’m the forgotten man a little bit with that."

Fitz may just be humble about his running ability and pocket awareness, but suffice it to say that, feet-first orhead-first, this is one more of many reasons that both GM Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles have said that while they are prepared "for all potentialities," they'd very much like to sign the potential free agent in 2016.

"You can’t take away from anything that Ryan’s done this year from a records standpoint or otherwise," Bowles said last week. "He’s been great for the guys in the locker room and he knows we want him back and he wants to be back. It’s just a matter of working it out."

>  http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/One-More-Reason-to-Bring-Fitzpatrick-Back/2bdc7ea0-2ccd-4880-8ab5-bc203bb50546

yeah in that case F that lets go 4-12 that's so much more appealing.

He's not getting 17 mil he will be in the 10-12 range like I stated earlier in this moronic thread.

Depends on how the market plays out and I don't know if I even want to pay that much.  If we lose out on resigining Snacks because Fitz has a $10 mllion cap figure next season that's just dumb.

Depends on how the market plays out and I don't know if I even want to pay that much.  If we lose out on resigining Snacks because Fitz has a $10 mllion cap figure next season that's just dumb.

gailey already got fired once because of overpaying fitz, I doubt he lets that happen again

Simple as this: if Fitz insists on a 3 or 4 year deal then good luck nice knowing you.

There are other qb's available that can put up similar stats with Marshall and Decker and a qb-friendly offense.  Even Geno could and he sucks.

I agree that Fitz has to get a reasonable contract.  However, don't under estimate how important he was to the Jets success this season.

Simple as this: if Fitz insists on a 3 or 4 year deal then good luck nice knowing you.

There are other qb's available that can put up similar stats with Marshall and Decker and a qb-friendly offense.  Even Geno could and he sucks.

3 or 4 years for a deal sounds reasonable to spread some of the money. By year 3 you'd hope that Petty or another draft pick QB has made the next step and is ready to assume the position with a more than capable backup and mentor in Fitz. Makes complete sense. 

Losing out on Snacks would not be because of Fitz. Not with Revis making 17, Wilk tagged at 16, and a scrub like Skrine making 5. There are many other reasons besides a new Fitz contract that Snacks might not be possible to be afforded. 

Losing out on Snacks would not be because of Fitz. Not with Revis making 17, Wilk tagged at 16, and a scrub like Skrine making 5. There are many other reasons besides a new Fitz contract that Snacks might not be possible to be afforded. 

talent is worth paying for, guys like fitz are replaceable 

So is Wilkerson. On the first play after his injury, Stephen Bowen, his replacement, made a tackle at or behind the line of scrimmage. Defensive lineman are not as important as Quarterbacks. It's that simple. 

doesn't matter, premium talent will always have value. sign wilkerson and trade him if you have to make cap room down the road. having tradeable assets under contract is a good problem to have

Mike Maccagnan's philosophy on finding a franchise quarterback is that it takes time to develop a franchise quarterback.But what about Ryan Fitzpatrick, the quarterback Maccagnan already has with the Jets  ?

Fitzpatrick is coming off a record-setting season, albeit one that ended with a gut-punch. The Jets blew a chance to make the playoffs in a year in which the AFC appeared to be wide open, and Fitzpatrick had just a bit of a hand in that.Fitzpatrick's contract expires in March, and he and the Jets have both said they want to stay together (hint: they will).But does Maccagnan think he can win with Fitzpatrick?"I definitely think Ryan's a quarterback we can win with," Maccagnan, the Jets' general manager, told WFAN's Mike Francesa in a recent radio interview.

"Everybody kind of looks for that, whatever, if you call it franchise quarterback, or a very high-caliber quarterback, whatever the case may be. We had success this year, and had we played better at some point in time in one of those six losses, we could have been in the playoffs. And once you get there, anything could happen."The one thing I will say is this: I do think we can success with Ryan. But the thing I liked about our team this year was that, like I said before, they all kind of complemented each other well. So if you can build a good, solid team—and I'm not just talking, not just offense, defense, also special teams—we can go out there, hopefully, and be competitive, and compete for the playoffs. We can do it with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty as our quarterbacks."

Two ways to look at this  :

1. Maccagnan obviously is going to say he can win with Fitzpatrick. He and head coach Todd Bowles want Fitzpatrick back, and they wouldn't feel that way if they didn't think they could win with him. They also recognize how much Fitzpatrick fit with all the pieces around him, from the offense coordinator Chan Gailey designed to the skill-set of the Jets' receivers to Fitzpatrick's ability to win the respect of his teammates, both with his toughness and his fun-loving personality. The Jets undoubtedly came up short in 2015, but for once, their offense consistently functioned. That's not something to dismiss because of one game (crucial though that game was). And don't forget: Fitzpatrick likely won't break the bank for the Jets this offseason.

2. Maccagnan has also said he's still keeping all of his options open. The free-agent market—which would be costly—isn't exactly brimming with enticing possibilities. And the plan for the draft is to treat quarterback like any other position: The Jets have the No. 20 pick, but they won't force the issue by reaching for quarterback with any of their six selections. Instead, they will try to draft the best player available, be it a quarterback or anyone else. And, as we saw last year, Maccagnan also isn't shy when it comes to making trades.

Maccagnan's stated goal, after all, is to win in 2016, but to set the Jets up to remain competitive in the years that follow, too.He understands the hand he's been dealt, but he also sees just how successful and close the Jets were with the group they had in 2015. At the same time, Maccagnan is keeping an eye on having the entire roster—not just the quarterback position—stocked for the long haul, with sensible salary-cap implications."But it's one of those things," Maccagnan told Francesa. "You're constantly trying to make sure you're making lots of decisions and trying to bring in talent into the team, and stockpiling young talent that hopefully [will] grow, develop, and then be impactful. But I do feel like we can be a competitive team with Ryan, and go out there and compete for the playoffs. And if we were able to get in, see what happens."

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/01/mike_maccagnan_jets_can_definitely_win_with_ryan_f.html#incart_river_index

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan sounds confident he can re-sign pending free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick. He said he will speak to Fitzpatrick's agent "in the very near future." Maccagnan added, "Hopefully, we'll be able to get something done here in the near future." He said everyone in the organization feels "very strongly" about keeping Fitzpatrick. (Via WFAN 660).

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan sounds confident he can re-sign pending free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick. He said he will speak to Fitzpatrick's agent "in the very near future." Maccagnan added, "Hopefully, we'll be able to get something done here in the near future." He said everyone in the organization feels "very strongly" about keeping Fitzpatrick. (Via WFAN 660).

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

can we just have an accurate QB for once? I feel sick 

Jets Eager to Lock Up QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

With the market for free-agent quarterbacks looking thin this year, Fitzpatrick likely to hear from several suitors

The Jets are trying to commit to quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick while stepping away from Geno Smith.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan said Friday that he planned to talk with Fitzpatrick’s representatives “in the very near future” about bringing the free agent back to the team.“We really would like to get Ryan back in the fold,” Maccagnan said in a WFAN radio interview. “[Head coach] Todd [Bowles] has said that. Myself, the rest of the organization feels very strongly about this. I think it’s a good situation for all of us. We just have to go through this process and hopefully we can come to an agreement where it’s fair and everyone’s happy with it.”

Fitzpatrick, 33 years old, had his best NFL season in 2015, setting a franchise record with 31 touchdown passes in his first year with the team. His steady performance helped lead the Jets to 10-6 record, though his passer rating of 88.0 ranked only 24th of 33 quarterbacks who attempted at least 250 passes during the season. Nevertheless, the market for free-agent quarterbacks is thin this year, so Fitzpatrick is likely to hear from several suitors.

Maccagnan hasn’t been as forthright about his plans for the Jets’ other free agents, who include Pro Bowl defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, defensive tackle Damon Harrison and Pro Bowl running back Chris Ivory. Given their salary-cap space, the Jets can probably afford to keep only two of them.Bowles has said that if the Jets re-sign Fitzpatrick, the quarterback would remain the starter. That would suggest that Smith, who is entering the final year of his contract, wouldn’t throw another pass for the Jets.Maccagnan said in the interview that he “liked” Smith, but didn’t give the young quarterback a strong endorsement.

“We’ll see how things unfold this off-season,” he said.

>     http://www.wsj.com/articles/jets-eager-to-lock-up-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-1453503486?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

Jets coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator were both vocal about wanting Fitzpatrick back. Maccagnan, on WFAN, echoed the same.

“We’re gonna talk to Ryan and his people here in the very near future,” Maccagnan said. “We really would like to get Ryan back in the fold.”

But… how much will it cost to bring Fitzpatrick back to New York?

Earlier this week in a radio interview on WFAN, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan was asked, among other things, what’s up with the status of unrestricted free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Fitzpatrick, as many are aware, rallied the Jets together for five-straight wins late in the season while breaking the team’s single-season passing touchdown record (31) and finishing second in yards (3,905).As it stands right now, Fitzpatrick, theoretically, should expect to get paid right in the middle of what starting quarterbacks make. He’s not going to command a contract with a base salary of $20 million, but the Jets also can’t expect to get him back for the $3.25 million he played last year for.

What exactly is that middle-tier though? Lets take a look. First at cap hit, then at base salary:

As it stands right now, there are 17 quarterbacks in the NFL making a base salary of at least $10 million, and 19 quarterbacks with a cap hit of at least $10 million. Among those to specifically focus on is the Cincinnati Bengals’ Andy Dalton ($10.5m base, $13m hit), the Kansas City Chiefs’ Alex Smith ($14.1m base, $17.8m hit), the Chicago BearsJay Cutler ($16m base, $17m hit).But it’s not really that easy when it comes to the bearded signal caller. While Fitzpatrick is not in the upper-echelon of quarterbacks, he’s not really middle-tier, either. See, the Fitzpatrick that played the final month or so for the Jets isn’t the one that played the majority of his career. The Jets are taking a gamble, in a way, if they give Fitzpatrick big money, even if he’ll be coming back as the Jets unquestioned starter. 

Entering next season, the only ‘starters’ making less than $10 million dollars on a second contract are the St. Louis Rams Nick Foles ($1.75m base, $8.5m hit), the Cleveland Browns Josh McCown ($4.375m base, $5m hit) and the Buffalo Bills Tyrod Taylor ($2m base, $3.1m hit).McCown and Taylor are the outliers as both are playing on contracts signed to compete for the starting job. They did not sign the contracts knowing they’d be the starters. Foles, on the other hand, may be the contract Fitzpatrick ends up getting in terms of financial rate.Foles was given an extension by his team based on a short-term body of work. While the quarterback was lights-out during his 2013 season season in Philadelphia, his 2014 season left much to be desired. St. Louis (Err, LA?) traded for and then extended him based on that one season. Ignoring how horrid Foles then was after his extension, in a way, the Jets would be doing the same with Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick, for 10 seasons, was an average (at best) quarterback in the NFL. Fitzpatrick, during the last month or so of the season, was lights-out.The Jets are hoping the quarterback that returns next year is the one that led the Jets to those five-straight wins before falling to Buffalo. But there’s no grantee they won’t be getting the Fitzpatrick from years 1-10.

Could Fitzpatrick be given a near identical deal as Foles? It wouldn’t be surprising.

When the Rams extended Foles two years, it essentially gave him a three-year contract worth $26 million. That’s an average of $8.6 million a year.If the Jets awarded Fitzpatrick that same contract with a few incentives built in to increase it up to $10 million a year, they’d have him under contract until he was 36 years old. But here’s the thing– on Foles’ final year with the Rams he can be cut for just a $1.2 million cap hit, per OTC. The three-year extension for Fitzpatrick would essentially be one the Jets can get out of after two years. Not bad. Especially considering the fact Fitzpatrick, even if not the starter year two, would be quite the veteran leader for a young, potentially-rookie quarterback.

So, how much money will the Jets have to pay Fitzpatrick to get him back?

Taking into consideration Fitzpatrick’s record-breaking 2015 season, the fact the Jets want him back and he wants to return, the fact he’d be coming back as the unquestioned starter and his career body of work (not just short term), look no farther than the deal given to Foles.Three years, $26 million with incentives built in incase “FitzMagic” comes back for an encore. Worst case scenario? Fitzpatrick is still the lowest-paid (cap-hit wise) quarterback on his second contract in the NFL. Best case? Incentives put Fitzpatrick towards the middle of the pack.

That deal works. That deal makes sense.

Both for the Jets, and Fitzpatrick.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/01/24/how-much-money-will-the-jets-pay-ryan-fitzpatrick/

— Ryan Fitzpatrick was doing SO WELL as the Jets' quarterback: the 10 wins,the comebacks,the five-game winning streak at a time when the Jets needed to win five in a row.But then came that awful, three-interceptions-in-the-fourth-quarter performance in Buffalo, a 22-17 loss that cost the Jets a shot at the playoffs in the season's final game.And now there are doubts. Few fans think Fitzpatrick can be a so-called franchise quarterback. And even those doubters are divided into two groups: Those who think the Jets need to stick with Fitzpatrick in the short-term while looking for a long-term solution, and those who think the team will never achieve anything as long as Fitzpatrick is The Guy.

Todd Bowles, the Jets head coach, has a message for the fans those latter two groups."Fans are going to feel like that," Bowles told NJ Advance Media in an interview at the Senior Bowl."That's with any sport, in any thing: If you're team doesn't win the last game to get in the playoffs,there's going to be an effect from a fan's standpoint.And we respect that."But we have won with him. We won some good games, and we lost some games. That's any quarterback. Ryan's not the only guy who had a bad game. There's a lot of people that had bad games. You've got to take the body of work that you've got, and go with that."

About that body of work: The Jets finished 10-6—their most wins in five years—and Fitzpatrick threw for a team-record 31 touchdowns against just 15 interceptions, with a Total QBR of 63.7, and a quarterback rating of 88.0.But then there's this: Fitzpatrick has been on six teams in 11 seasons, has never played in a playoff game, has limited arm strength, and, yes, there was that stinker at the Bills, in that spot.

The Jets are taking a close look at quarterbacks at the Senior Bowl—they met with North Dakota State's Carson Wentz and Mississippi State's Dak Prescott—and general manager Mike Maccagnan has said his plan for finding the right quarterback is to develop one.The Jets have the No. 20 pick, so it's tough to gauge this early in the process whether they'll be able to score one of the draft's top-shelf quarterbacks. And free agency this year is a barren wasteland.

Fitzpatrick can become a free agent in March, but both he and the Jets have said they want to stay together. Maccagnan has said he "definitely" thinks the Jets can win with Fitzpatrick. And when Bowles was asked the same question Wednesday by NJ Advance Media, he replied with a simple, "Yes."The Jets have little choice but to stick with Fitzpatrick in 2016, but the ending aside, they're giving every impression they've seen enough to think Fitzpatrick can be everything they hope he can be, given all of the pieces around him. (Besides, has anyone noticed that the Broncos are in the Super Bowl with an aging quarterback who can barely throw a forward pass anymore?) But the Jets also hedging just enough by not closing the door on other possible finds in the draft.

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/01/todd_bowles_has_message_for_fans_who_think_jets_ca.html#incart_river_index

On the Roster in 2015

Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif, Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif, Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif

Potential Free Agents

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Overview

Two days before the preseason opener at Detroit, Fitzpatrick suddenly had to shift his focus from being a player/coach behind Smith into preparing himself to be the starter for the 2015 season.Having four solid years under his belt in offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s system, Fitzpatrick’s first season reunited with his former coach proved to be a productive year as he broke the Jets record with 31 touchdown passes and threw for a personal-best 3,905 yards, He even made NFL history by becoming the first quarterback to throw at least four touchdown passes in a game for four different franchises (Buffalo, Tennessee and Houston before doing it with the Jets against Miami in November).

With a keen sense of awareness, Fitzpatrick knew when to tuck the ball and run, finishing with 60 rushes for 270 yards and two touchdowns. Not only did that keep opposing defenses on their heels but the Green & White were able to avoid sacks, allowing just 22 for the season, second-fewest in the league.Fitzpatrick had a season full of highlights in 2015 but nothing is more memorable than the victory against the New England Patriots, when “FitzMagic” tied the Jets record for touchdown passes in a single season set by by Vinny Testaverde in 1998 with his 29th TD strike, the 6-yard toss to Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif for the game-winning score in overtime.

Looking Back

With Ryan Fitzpatrick under center, the Jets got off to a fast 4-1 start that was highlighted by his first Monday Night Football win when he completed 22 of 34 passes for 244 yards and two touchdowns in the 20-7 victory in Indianapolis, followed two games later by his piloting of the Jets past the Dolphins in London, 27-14.However, the Jets faced adversity in the middle of the season, winning only one game against Jacksonville in a five-game stretch to fall back to .500 at 5-5.One of the losses in that skid came in Oakland, when Fitzpatrick sustained a thumb injury on his non-throwing hand at the end of a first-quarter scramble. Enter Smith for his first and only action of the season as he completed 27 of 42 passes for 265 yards and two TDs in the 34-20 Game 7 loss.

While Fitzpatrick was able to run a productive offense, a loss to the Raiders in Oakland left Jets Nation wondering the fate of his season after sustaining a thumb injury in the first quarter on his non-throwing hand. Enter Smith, who saw action for the first time of the year and finished the game 27-of-42 for 265 yards and two touchdowns.After the 24-17 loss to the Texans, it was time for some changes, Fitzpatrick trimmed his beard and he, Gailey and the offense got back to playing more fundamental football. From that point on, they went on a five-game winning streak before losing the season finale to the Bills in cold, windy Buffalo.

Looking Ahead

Upon coming to the Jets in the March trade with Houston, Fitzpatrick began his fourth straight year with a different team. With free agency looming in March, Fitzpatrick has said he'd like to remain with the Jets and the Jets brass have said they'd like to keep him here. The sides have set to work to reach an agreement for him to start his 12th NFL season as a member of the Green & White.For the two young quarterbacks on the roster, Geno Smith and Bryce Petty, last season was a time to learn Gailey’s offense. Smith had time to watch Fitzpatrick operate while preparing himself week in and week out to be ready to jump into the game at a moment's notice.

Petty, whom the Jets moved up in the fourth round to draft last spring, was not baptized by fire in 2015. After playing in the first three preseason games, the rookie had the opportunity to learn the nuances of an NFL offense while working on his craft and his transition from college to the pros in the classroom and on the practice field.As GM Mike Maccagnan said in his end-of-the-season remarks: "Bryce has made a lot of progress and we're excited to have another offseason with him. Geno's under contract and we like the progress he's made and how he handled the situation in the summer. We're going to see how Geno and Bryce progress in the offseason and go from there. That's assuming we're able to re-sign Ryan."

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/QB-Review-Career-Year-for-Ryan-Fitzpatrick/91c0aaa7-8718-47b0-be3f-b60ba3c54ec3

Although Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif completed 59.6% of his passes in 2015, he earned the respect of one of the most accurate signal callers in National Football League history along the way.“When you watched Ryan play this year, you didn’t see a lot of negative plays and that’s so important to an offense: keeping drives alive, staying out of negative plays and not being in long yardage situations,” said Chad Pennington, who completed 65.6% of his Jets’ passes between 2000 and ’07. “That’s really important. Sometimes you have to sacrifice your own completion percentage and your stats to make the best play for the team and that’s very important.”

The Jets finished 2nd in the NFL in sacks allowed with 22 as Fitzpatrick was sacked just 19 times while making 16 starts. He was also the team’s third-leading rusher, gaining 270 yards on the ground along with 2 TDs.“For a quarterback, sometimes the best play is to throw it away. Well that means you just have another incompletion which obviously affects your completion percentage in a negative way,” Pennington told fans gathered at The Ainsworth in New York City for Jets House. “That was something really good to see from the quarterback position this year was to keep the offense out of negative plays, which makes third down a lot easier, it makes early downs a lot easier, it keeps drives alive, it keeps your defenses out of bad situations and sometimes we forget about that. So many times, our game is trying to be individualized whether it be through fantasy football or whatever, and the game of football is such a team game and it takes all parts to working together.”

Reunited with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey for a fourth season, Fitzpatrick was in control as soon as he took over the team’s starting duties in August. Displaying poise in the pocket, Fitzpatrick read defenses well pre-snap and delivered the ball at the proper times. And when his team wasn’t in a good spot, he would often change things up or improvise with his feet.“A lot of times it has nothing do with the throws you make, but the protections you help your offensive line get into, the run checks you use to get your offense into the best right plays and all the little things that don’t show up in the stat sheet,” Pennington said. “That’s what I’ve always appreciated about Ryan Fitzpatrick and what he’s been able to do on the field and then how he handles his business off the field. This man has five kids – I only have three!”

Pennington again restated his belief that the Jets would be in good hands if No. 14 is back for a second season with the Green & White.“I know he has it under control, he does such a great job as the quarterback and there are so many things that go into that on and off the field,” Pennington said. “You guys should feel really comfortable with Ryan behind center.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Pennington-Fitzpatrick-Has-It-Under-Control/2773dee4-dc56-491d-bcf0-a2dc2774f80a

According to Brandon Marshall, maybe all Geno Smith needed to turn around his NFL career was a little FitzMagic.

On an interview with WFAN Tuesday morning, the Jets big-play wideout was asked for his opinion on the bewildered third-year signal caller by the show’s hosts, Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton. Instead of burying Smith, who has struggled with maturity issues since entering the league, Marshall offered one of the better takes on the former second-round pick to date.“This is something I’ve said before, and I’m not throwing my teammate under the bus,” Marshall said,  “But I’m glad that he had an opportunity to sit back and learn from a pro (Ryan Fitzpatrick).”

Believe it or not, this season was the first time in Smith’s career where he didn’t enter the season as the Jets starting quarterback. As a rookie back in 2013, an injury to Mark Sanchez led to Smith starting the entire year. In 2014, Smith won a ‘competition’ with then-Jets QB Michael Vick. This year, he was labeled the ‘unquestioned starter’ prior to a locker room incident with I.K. Enemkpali that placed Fitzpatrick atop the depth chart.

For the next 17 weeks, Smith was able to look at a veteran and watch how he prepared himself throughout an entire season.

“Now a days, we’re taking quarterbacks and just throwing them out there and saying, ‘You need to produce right now’ and ‘You need to win right now,” Marshall said. “Back in the day, they’d sit on the bench for a couple years and learn the business. Really learn how everything works. He hasn’t had that opportunity.”According to Marshall, he made to sure to let the quarterback know he should be taking advantage of the opportunity to watch and learn. Essentially, Marshall told Smith to be Fitzpatrick’s shadow.

If Fitzpatrick went left, Geno should follow. If Fitzpatrick went right, Geno should be there, too.

“I said when you walk into the building, you need to have two notebooks,” Marshall said. “You need to have a notebook that one is our week’s game plan. The second is a Ryan Fitzpatrick notebook. You need to be writing down every single thing that this guy is doing on and off the field.“How he’s leading guys, the time he puts into his work, how he’s preparing in the weight room, in the meeting room. If [Smith] does that, there’s no doubt in my mind he can play this game at a high level because he’s very talented.”

The Jets have made it known that it’s a priority for the team to re-sign Fitzpatrick, who’s an unrestricted free agent. Jets coach Todd Bowles has also stated that, if Fitzpatrick does return, he’ll be the team’s starting quarterback.Marshall knows that, and believes that’s how it should be. After all, another opportunity for Smith to have a little ‘FitzMagic’ sprinkled on him may not be a bad thing.

“If he can learn from Fitzpatrick, I think he’ll be fine,” Marshall said. “Because as of right now, it’s Ryan’s team.”

>        http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/02/brandon-marshall-believes-in-geno-but-its-ryan-fitzpatricks-team/

Memo to Jets: Forget game-manager theory; it still takes an elite QB

This is the time of year -- post-Super Bowl -- when the people who play, coach, cover and watch the NFL fall into the copy-cat trap. In other words, they create a narrative that goes something like this:

Team X won the Super Bowl by doing Y, so that's the blueprint my team needs to follow.

Specific to this year, the Denver Broncos showed it doesn't take elite play from the quarterback to win a championship. They won it all with a once-great, broken-down Peyton Manning managing the game and basically staying out of the way, unwittingly providing hope for the 20 or so teams that don't have a franchise quarterback -- a category that includes the New York Jets.

A word of advice: Don't buy any stock in that theory.

The Jets shouldn't fool themselves into believing that Ryan Fitzpatrick is good enough at quarterback to win a title. Unless you've got an all-time defense, you still need an elite signal-caller. 

The Broncos were the exception, not the rule. They overcame Manning's deficiencies because of a premier defense that included not one, but two future Hall of Fame pass-rushers, Von Miller andDeMarcus Ware. Their defense belongs in the conversation with the 1985 Chicago Bears and 2000 Baltimore Ravens.Make no mistake, the league still revolves around the quarterback position, perhaps more so than ever. If you don't have a good one, you'd better find one because you're probably not going to hoist the Lombardi Trophy until you do. To paraphrase former Michigan coach Bo Schembechler, it's the quarterback ... the quarterback ... the quarterback.

Recent history shows the importance of upper-tier play by the quarterback. A look at the past six Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks and where they ranked in passer rating, along with their team's rank in scoring defense:

YEARQUARTERBACKPASSER RATING RANKSCORING DEFENSE RANK2015Peyton Manning35th4th2014Tom Brady5th8th2013Russell Wilson7th1st2012Joe Flacco12th12th2011Eli Manning7th25th2010Aaron Rodgers3rd2nd

What does this tell us ?

To win a Super Bowl, you probably need a top-10 quarterback or a top-10 defense, preferably both. Joe Flacco and the Ravens were the exception in 2012. As for the Jets, Ryan Fitzpatrickwas 24th in passer rating and the defense was ninth.

Conclusion : As well as Fitzpatrick played in stretches, the Jets need better play from their starter in 2016 ...

Unless the next Miller-Ware tandem shows up on their doorstep.

>  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58405/memo-to-jets-forget-game-manager-theory-it-still-takes-an-elite-qb

On January 22, 2016 at 2:10 PM, johnnysd said:

Keeping Fitz as a veteran presence at low $ is fine, starting him again is idiotic. Have people really not learned from the past?  And anything North Of $5M Is REALLY idiotic. Starting JAG veteran QBs is not how to build a team.

So who do you want to start at QB next season?

7 hours ago, drdetroit said:

So who do you want to start at QB next season?

Flippant answer is someone else. The Jets MUST find someone signficantly better than Fitz, and that starts with someone who has more talent and less limitations. So that could be Petty, it could be a draft pick, it could be a solid backup that has not a chance, but starting Fitz accomplishes nothing IF your goal is long term success. If the goal is short term competiitiveness and a more fan friendly 2016 product with less emphasis on sustained success then start Fitz. I think that is 100% not the way to go.

Archived