Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well the question is would Fitz accept a one year deal under 12 mil. If so would the Jets be willing to not tie him up for years 2 and 3. If the Jets won't budge from this it means they want him locked in for 2017 and 2018 at a backup salary. Which would restrict his ability to negotiate with other teams if he plays well and can get a starter job at starter money. btw not all of the media supports the Jets on this. I don't know about the guys on NFLN. I think it's pretty much down the middle. And a number think that the structuring of the deal is unfair to the player.

Would be very curious to see if he'd take 8-10 range for a 1 year deal over what's currently on the table

13 minutes ago, ljr said:

Would be very curious to see if he'd take 8-10 range for a 1 year deal over what's currently on the table

Looks like he'll have to. They could give him an 8 and then a 12 with a team option for 2017. They could then cut him if they decide they don't want to pay him the 12 next season. There's a lot of ways they can do it that are better than the 12-6-6. I'd give him a 2-20 plus incentives with 12 guaranteed. It is highly doubtful the guy is going to stink up the joint in 2016 and it could be a bargain for the Jets since there is a very good chance he would start both seasons.

15 minutes ago, ljr said:

I think that is where the broncos are lurking. It would not surprise me if they asked fitz' agent to keep them in the loop if the dollars come down

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Firstly, Fitz 2014 wasn't nearly as good as his 2015 season statistically, save for the QB rating that was highly inflated against that year's worst team in the NFL (6 TDs vs Titans). 

Secondly, if Fitz was really better in 2014 than 2015, Texans would not have benched him. 

Third, you need to watch the Raiders game to get a clue. Actually, don't do that. Just watch both QBs last NFL start n see how they played n then tell me who the real joker is. 

Your quote of 

On June 12, 2016 at 0:32 AM, j4jets said:

I don't want Fitz for 12 mil. Remember, Teblow took Denver to the playoffs and even won a game. But he was still sh*t. They call it aberration/anomaly. That was Fitz 2015 season. He's not repeating that again

Is what led your being called out firstly For comparing Fitz to Tebow ... Lol, absurd.

secondly Discussing 2014 statistically simply points out the fallacy of calling his next year 2015 numbers an aberration ...  2014 numbers if expanded from the 12 games he played to 16 would be close enough to Be n the same ballpark.

thirdly, must have struck the nail on the head with Geno ... He closed out his performance vs Oak exactly the same way he played in 2013 & 2014 very poorly!  ... If you are trying to find someone to compare to Tebow he is your better choice ... If Geno improves a lot that is!

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

I think that is where the broncos are lurking. It would not surprise me if they asked fitz' agent to keep them in the loop if the dollars come down

It's unusual for a player/agent to not want higher guaranteed $$$ ... But I don't blame Fitz for not wanting to be locked in at 6 per year for 2017 & 2018 if he performs well this year.

Rangers9's numbers are probably around where a middle ground will be found

3 hours ago, Larz said:

we don't know what the incentives are, but since fitz is still unsigned I have to say they are likely BS, and every report I have seen reports the first year is very different than years 2 and 3.

I haven't seen any report that they will do a 1 year deal.

The jets need to determine if fitz is their starter or not.  They seem lost and confused right now, putting together a BS offer out there.  Either pay him like a starter or move on.

show some effin balls

Caving to a player's demands, when he's already rejected them as his highest bidder, constitutes showing balls?

They didn't offer backup money the last 2 years. They offered the same amount in all 3 years, after an up-front signing bonus. He has been offered the same $6M salary each year for 3 years, not 12 then 6 then 6. 

interesting take from an agent

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-how-to-end-the-absurdity-between-ryan-fitzpatrick-and-the-jets/

How to break the impasse

The Jets should really extend some sort of olive branch through an increased offer. This could potentially alleviate any hard feelings from Fitzpatrick's camp because the Jets would no longer be shoving a deal down their throats. He represents the Jets' best chance to get to the playoffs in 2016, although 2013 second-round pick Geno Smith has been getting good reviews in OTAs and Christian Hackenberg was taken in this year's second round.

Fitzpatrick needs to recognize that his market never developed the way he had hoped. He is a 33-year-old journeyman who doesn't have any other viable starting opportunities. Fitzpatrick was never going to get anything close to Sam Bradford's two-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles that averages $17.5 million per year and has $22 million fully guaranteed. One big reason: Those three fourth-quarter interceptions in the regular season finale to kill the Jets' playoff hopes.

It might be more constructive for Sexton to focus on getting the base value of Fitzpatrick's deal on par with what his client would earn under the contracts of RG3 or Daniel, including incentives/salary escalators by duplicating his 2015 performance if the Jets continue to balk at a one-year deal. Fitzpatrick would earn $19.5 million over two years with RG3's contract for an average of $9.75 million per year. Under Daniel's contract, he would make $33.5 million in three years ($11,666,667 per year).

The $12 million in the first year and same overall guarantees of the existing three-year offer should be acceptable to both sides. The 2017 and 2018 salaries could be increased from $6 million each to $9 million for a base value of $30 million over three years. $4 million of the $9 million could be in roster bonuses due on the third day of the league year (mid-March 2017 and 2018) to force the Jets to make a quick decision on whether Fitzpatrick would remain a part of the team.

The deal maximum could be $45 million over the three years where $3 million is available in NLTBE incentives and an additional $3 million in salary escalators annually. The first $2 million of the incentives could be based on Fitzpatrick's individual performance with the remaining $1 million contingent on the Fitzpatrick reaching a specified playtime threshold during regular season, like 75 percent, and the Jets' playoff performance. Any incentives earned would be added to the following year's base salary.

A $3 million salary de-escalator could be included in 2017 and 2018 to bring the salaries in those years back to the $6 million level in the current offer if Fitzpatrick didn't play at least 50 percent of the Jets' offensive plays or performed poorly -- such as ranking 25th or lower in passing yards, passer rating and touchdown passes simultaneously -- in the prior season.

A salary de-escalator isn't a foreign concept to Fitzpatrick. His 2011 contract extension with the Buffalo Bills had de-escalators in the 2016 and 2017 contract years based on his playtime in the previous contract years. The inclusion of a mechanism allowing Fitzpatrick to void the remainder of the contract after a Pro Bowl selection on the original ballot also seems appropriate, considering his compensation is at the low end for starting quarterbacks on veteran contracts.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Caving to a player's demands, when he's already rejected them as his highest bidder, constitutes showing balls?

They didn't offer backup money the last 2 years. They offered the same amount in all 3 years, after an up-front signing bonus. He has been offered the same $6M salary each year for 3 years, not 12 then 6 then 6. 

I think "showing balls" in this situation means taking all the risk here, but it's pretty obvious that Fitzpatrick will have to take a cheap one year prove-it deal if he's really looking to get paid what he's asking for... that way the jets aren't stuck with him if he fails and fitz doesn't become a tradeable commodity if he does well and the jets decide to move on with a young QB

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

where did you get that ?  I said pay him like a starter or walk away.  I think you missed the walk away part

The offer they made is more than fair, and the top bid to boot. 

That article outlines a horrible move and a bad deal for the Jets; it effectively gives Fitz the 1 yr $12M deal the Jets have already turned down. But hey, it's an agent writing an article suggesting the team pay more. How completely unsurprising and transparent. 

They should tell him he has until Tue morning to sign, or withdraw it altogether. He'll sign it. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The offer they made is more than fair, and the top bid to boot. 

That article outlines a horrible move and a bad deal for the Jets; it effectively gives Fitz the 1 yr $12M deal the Jets have already turned down. But hey, it's an agent writing an article suggesting the team pay more. How completely unsurprising and transparent. 

They should tell him he has until Tue morning to sign, or withdraw it altogether. He'll sign it. 

I think you missed the de-escalator part

I have been saying take it away for weeks.  Have you been drinking ?

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

where did you get that ?  I said pay him like a starter or walk away.  I think you missed the walk away part

Then why include paying him paying him more as part of any example of showing balls? Balls only would be walking away, not caving. 

I agree with you they're not handling this so great, even if we disagree fully on the reason. Leaving an open contract for all this time looks weak and, frankly, just moronic. It's one thing to offer him that deal to start, but when he takes that deal to shop himself around, gets doors slammed in his face, and all other teams have filled their QB positions, it's ridiculous to still have the same offer out there as when he supposedly had other options. 

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

I think you missed the de-escalator part

I have been saying take it away for weeks.  Have you been drinking ?

I saw it and don't agree with it. He can reach those escalators even if he sucks, just by virtue of starting most of the season and then getting benched towards the end. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I saw it and don't agree with it. He can reach those escalators even if he sucks, just by virtue of starting most of the season.

A $3 million salary de-escalator could be included in 2017 and 2018 to bring the salaries in those years back to the $6 million level in the current offer if Fitzpatrick didn't play at least 50 percent of the Jets' offensive plays or performed poorly -- such as ranking 25th or lower in passing yards, passer rating and touchdown passes simultaneously -- in the prior season

25 minutes ago, Larz said:

How to break the impasse

The Jets should really extend some sort of olive branch through an increased offer. This could potentially alleviate any hard feelings from Fitzpatrick's camp because the Jets would no longer be shoving a deal down their throats. He represents the Jets' best chance to get to the playoffs in 2016, although 2013 second-round pick Geno Smith has been getting good reviews in OTAs and Christian Hackenberg was taken in this year's second round.

Hard Feelings? Seriously? Give me a break.

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

A $3 million salary de-escalator could be included in 2017 and 2018 to bring the salaries in those years back to the $6 million level in the current offer if Fitzpatrick didn't play at least 50 percent of the Jets' offensive plays or performed poorly -- such as ranking 25th or lower in passing yards, passer rating and touchdown passes simultaneously -- in the prior season

Exactly.

Again, he could reach those escalators and still suck or the Jets only want him as a backup in '17. 

Terrible deal for the Jets. 

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Your quote of 

Is what led your being called out firstly For comparing Fitz to Tebow ... Lol, absurd.

secondly Discussing 2014 statistically simply points out the fallacy of calling his next year 2015 numbers an aberration ...  2014 numbers if expanded from the 12 games he played to 16 would be close enough to Be n the same ballpark.

thirdly, must have struck the nail on the head with Geno ... He closed out his performance vs Oak exactly the same way he played in 2013 & 2014 very poorly!  ... If you are trying to find someone to compare to Tebow he is your better choice ... If Geno improves a lot that is!

Never compared Tebow and Fitz, simply gave an example too hard for you to interpret.
His 2014 season wasn't anything to write home about. He got benched.
Speaking of closing out seasons, I doubt you wanna compare Fitz to Geno.

Finally, Geno > Fitz and its actually not even close. Whether Geno is better than Tebow, is a whole different story and it doesn't bode well for a journeyman. Maybe this year Fitz will finally reach the playoffs? Don't bet on it though.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Nope.. They know they can get by with Sanchez with the O talent they have.. Paxton in waiting.. Look how bad manning was last yr and they still went all the way.. 

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

So fitz retires then? It sounds like a lose-lose scenario for both parties in that case 

Look the past 2 years Fitz has a broken leg and a broken wrist. So even though he said he wants to play he could have his bottom line, too. It might just not be worth it to him. So he just might not accept Mac's "generous" take it or leave it offer. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look the past 2 years Fitz has a broken leg and a broken wrist. So even though he said he wants to play he could have his bottom line, too. It might just not be worth it to him. So he just might not accept Mac's "generous" take it or leave it offer. 

Well you can understand why the jets are hesitant to offer a large 3 year deal to an injury prone player then

12 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Well you can understand why the jets are hesitant to offer a large 3 year deal to an injury prone player then

So give him a one year deal then. Mac is the one who offered the 3 year deal with the  2 indentured servant clauses. 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

interesting take from an agent

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-how-to-end-the-absurdity-between-ryan-fitzpatrick-and-the-jets/

How to break the impasse

Fitzpatrick needs to recognize that his market never developed the way he had hoped. He is a 33-year-old journeyman who doesn't have any other viable starting opportunities. Fitzpatrick was never going to get anything close to Sam Bradford's two-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles that averages $17.5 million per year and has $22 million fully guaranteed. One big reason: Those three fourth-quarter interceptions in the regular season finale to kill the Jets' playoff hopes.

It might be more constructive for Sexton to focus on getting the base value of Fitzpatrick's deal on par with what his client would earn under the contracts of RG3 or Daniel, including incentives/salary escalators by duplicating his 2015 performance if the Jets continue to balk at a one-year deal. Fitzpatrick would earn $19.5 million over two years with RG3's contract for an average of $9.75 million per year. Under Daniel's contract, he would make $33.5 million in three years ($11,666,667 per year).

The $12 million in the first year and same overall guarantees of the existing three-year offer should be acceptable to both sides. The 2017 and 2018 salaries could be increased from $6 million each to $9 million for a base value of $30 million over three years. $4 million of the $9 million could be in roster bonuses due on the third day of the league year (mid-March 2017 and 2018) to force the Jets to make a quick decision on whether Fitzpatrick would remain a part of the team.

The deal maximum could be $45 million over the three years where $3 million is available in NLTBE incentives and an additional $3 million in salary escalators annually. The first $2 million of the incentives could be based on Fitzpatrick's individual performance with the remaining $1 million contingent on the Fitzpatrick reaching a specified playtime threshold during regular season, like 75 percent, and the Jets' playoff performance. Any incentives earned would be added to the following year's base salary.

A $3 million salary de-escalator could be included in 2017 and 2018 to bring the salaries in those years back to the $6 million level in the current offer if Fitzpatrick didn't play at least 50 percent of the Jets' offensive plays or performed poorly -- such as ranking 25th or lower in passing yards, passer rating and touchdown passes simultaneously -- in the prior season.

A salary de-escalator isn't a foreign concept to Fitzpatrick. His 2011 contract extension with the Buffalo Bills had de-escalators in the 2016 and 2017 contract years based on his playtime in the previous contract years. The inclusion of a mechanism allowing Fitzpatrick to void the remainder of the contract after a Pro Bowl selection on the original ballot also seems appropriate, considering his compensation is at the low end for starting quarterbacks on veteran contracts.

Macc should be fired if he did anything like that. On the spot.

59 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So give him a one year deal then. Mac is the one who offered the 3 year deal with the  2 indentured servant clauses. 

He'll retire and indentured servant.

How old are you? 

15 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It's unusual that an incumbent starter holds out like this but it's not unprecedented. Phil Simms one year held out until after the first exhibition game. I don't think it's a wise move by Mac over a couple of million bucks. But he seems to have the backing of the owner. There are 4 situations with QB signings in this off season that have been strange. First the Osweiler signing giving a guy with only 7 starts legit starter money which is like 16 mil per season. But since then it's gone in the opposite direction with Fitz, the low ball Hoyer signing (you'd think he'd get more) and the impasse with Tyrod Taylor. So I'm starting to think that Woody is more involved in this than people give him credit for. Or Mac has full confidence that the owner will back him up if things go south. It's an unusual position for a 2nd year GM to put himself in. Esp after his predecessor got fired after a firestorm that occured in only his 2nd season. And believe me Idzik's plan to not spend the whole cap in 2014 had the support of Woody. It would have had to because the GM reports directly to the owner. 

Yes, as time goes on this looks more and more like things we've seen in the past that Woody was behind or even directly deciding.  And that my fellow Jet fans is not a good thing.

Theres probably a handshake agreement to stretch this out until right before TC to keep the Jets in the news and its working like a charm....They have most Jet fans and even ahole Pat and Raider fans buzzing around here like a Hornets nest.

Think about it, Macc doesn't even have the cap space cleared to sign Fitz yet, anyway.

Archived