Jump to content

Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED


kelly
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Rexorcism said:

Theres probably a handshake agreement to stretch this out until right before TC to keep the Jets in the news and its working like a charm....They have most Jet fans and even ahole Pat and Raider fans buzzing around here like a Hornets nest.

 

Think about it, Macc doesn't have the cap space cleared to sign Fitz yet anyway.

Hmmm... so you're saying @Maxman is behind this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding the above post by larz on how to break the impasse, I admire the effort, but it got rather granular.

I think the key element to breaking the impasse is to modify the way the contract treats years 17 and 18.  I sort of get where the Jets are coming from here, at least if one assumes they do not want to modify someone else's situation (whatever that might mean) to address a putative cap issue. 

But it is quite clear that any fair minded person can understand why RF would not want to be locked into 17 and 18 as a backup, on a backup's wages.  I think everyone here hopes that by 17, certainly 18, the Jets will have found a better answer medium to long term at Qb.  It might be Petty, or Hackenberg, or even a top draft pick next draft. 

That's all well and good, but why should we expect RF to accept being stuck on his contract if he thinks, maybe with good reason, that he might still be able to start and yet not only will not start for the Jets but will not make much money?

The Jets need to accept if they don't want to sign a one year deal for 16 only that they either have to pay RF more in 17 and 18, or cut him loose at the end of next season.  I say need not because they absolutely have to.  But if they want to be fair and resolve this impasse and not look too hardline with their other players, and those of us fans who do not reflexively take management's side in such disputes.

The simple fact is there is merit to RF wanting to avoid being stuck in a contract that ties him to the Jets holding a clipboard and making less money than in 16.

Now if he is mediocre and does not deserve starter money in 17 or 18, and the Jets want to keep him as a vet backup and he wants to stay, they can redo his contract.  But they way to do it now is to make it an option for years 17 and 18, giving him the ability to leave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Geno Smith gets another chance to make Jets forget about Ryan Fitzpatrick

The Jets will be wrapping up their offseason program with a mandatory minicamp that opens on Tuesday. And they still haven’t re-signed starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The two sides remain entrenched in their respective positions, with no sign that either side is planning to blink. Manish Mehta of theNew York Daily News recently suggested that the Jets could decide to move on from Fitzpatrick, sooner than later.

The “sooner” could come later this week, if the Jets like what they see from Geno Smithduring the minicamp practices.

(We can only hope!)

It may sound outlandish, but keep this in mind. Last year at this time, Smith was the starter — even though offensive coordinator Chan Gailey had previously coached Fitzpatrick in Buffalo. It wasn’t until I.K. Enemkpali broke Smith’s jaw in two places that Fitzpatrick took the No. 1 spot on the depth chart.

Maybe Smith, who quietly accepted the fact last season that he was Wally Pipped by an unexpected pop in the chin, is ready to take over from Fitzpatrick the position he had been given over Fitzpatrick a year ago.

 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/14/geno-smith-gets-another-chance-to-make-jets-forget-about-ryan-fitzpatrick/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Geno Smith gets another chance to make Jets forget about Ryan Fitzpatrick

The Jets will be wrapping up their offseason program with a mandatory minicamp that opens on Tuesday. And they still haven’t re-signed starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The two sides remain entrenched in their respective positions, with no sign that either side is planning to blink. Manish Mehta of theNew York Daily News recently suggested that the Jets could decide to move on from Fitzpatrick, sooner than later.

The “sooner” could come later this week, if the Jets like what they see from Geno Smithduring the minicamp practices.

(We can only hope!)

It may sound outlandish, but keep this in mind. Last year at this time, Smith was the starter — even though offensive coordinator Chan Gailey had previously coached Fitzpatrick in Buffalo. It wasn’t until I.K. Enemkpali broke Smith’s jaw in two places that Fitzpatrick took the No. 1 spot on the depth chart.

Maybe Smith, who quietly accepted the fact last season that he was Wally Pipped by an unexpected pop in the chin, is ready to take over from Fitzpatrick the position he had been given over Fitzpatrick a year ago.

 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/14/geno-smith-gets-another-chance-to-make-jets-forget-about-ryan-fitzpatrick/

 

Don't post anything from that scumbag troll from the Daily News, especially not a link...Fck him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rexorcism said:

Their source is none other than...

"Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News recently suggested that the Jets could decide to move on from Fitzpatrick, sooner than later."

Oh, whoops.  Well it's about Geno starting and letting Fitz walk.  Source could be a Pats fan and I'd still post it.

This is some important $hit here.  It'll obviously have a tremendous impact this season and potentially many more to come.

Besides it's been too long w/o some Geno/Fitz news.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, whoops.  Well it's about Geno starting and letting Fitz walk.  Source could be a Pats fan and I'd still post it.

This is some important $hit here.  It'll obviously have a tremendous impact this season and potentially many more to come.

Besides it's been too long w/o some Geno/Fitz news.

I hear u, but that ain't news its just an ahole throwing shlt on the wall hoping it sticks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, cant wait said:

8M a year is indentured servitude? 

No 6 million in years 2 and 3. Those years are the problem. They have an unfair advantage because this year no market for starters and we've been over that before. There are no jobs available in 2016 other than Denver and they couldn't reach an agreement in March. Because of that they are offering him way under what starting Qbs make and want him to be their starter. It's not a good way to deal with the person you say you want to lead your team. You want a positive outlook by the player to the org not somebody who feels they are not being fairly treated. Just offer him a one year deal then but Mac wants the indentured servant clauses to save his butt if Hack can't hack it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

To each their own.  But just so I'm not viewed as a Fitz hater, I'd like him back too.  For 4-5mil and as a backup.

Backup to who?

If that was Fitz's demands, to get that amount and to be a backup, he'd be long gone, probably to Denver.  He's the perfect backup QB.  But on this team he'd be the starter for at least one more season, and thus wants to be paid as such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Backup to who?

If that was Fitz's demands, to get that amount and to be a backup, he'd be long gone, probably to Denver.  He's the perfect backup QB.  But on this team he'd be the starter for at least one more season, and thus wants to be paid as such.

I wanted to be paid like an NFL starting QB as well even though I'm not and a think I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Backup to who?

If that was Fitz's demands, to get that amount and to be a backup, he'd be long gone, probably to Denver.  He's the perfect backup QB.  But on this team he'd be a starter, and thus wants to be paid as such.

If you look at his stats from the past two seasons including the Texans, the teams W-L record (a plus six with him and you guys want Geno) his teammates and the coaching staff's feelings about him, his toughness playing injured and ability to run the offense then he's the starter. He earned it. Since he's old maybe no long term deal with starter's money. Nobody is saying for the org to tie themselves to him long term. But a fair salary for 2016 if the Jets want him back as their starter (and they do). If not then they go into a potential regression with Geno and a disgruntled team after the org F'd up negotiations with their starting Qb. This is stupidity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets are offering Fitzpatrick $8M/year on a three year deal. That's a lot of money for Ryan Fitzpatrick. These fan fantasies about him suddenly getting starting job offers at 35 years of age, when his arm is another year weaker, are absurd. This is only the second time in his 11 year career that he's being offered a starting job - however briefly. It's not happening for him again. 

I get that he was hoping to cash in on a career year, but this is him cashing in. Three years, $24M, with a chance to earn as much as $36M. If he's insulted, he doesn't have to sign. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If that was Fitz's demands, to get that amount and to be a backup, he'd be long gone, probably to Denver.  He's the perfect backup QB.  But on this team he'd be the starter for at least one more season, and thus wants to be paid as such.

I don't know that's true.  In fact I doubt any other team in the NFL would pay Fitz 5mil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of our fans and probably our management doesn't want to win in 2016. After a good season. This is a year we should be going for it. We don't know who's going to be on this team in 2017 and that includes prominent personnel. Again this smacks of Woody Johnson and you know what that means: incompetency. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Some of our fans and probably our management doesn't want to win in 2016. After a good season. This is a year we should be going for it. We don't know who's going to be on this team in 2017 and that includes prominent personnel. Again this smacks of Woody Johnson and you know what that means: incompetency. 

The gaping hole in logic on the part of all the "pay Fitz whatever to get him back" apologists is that the only way to "go for it" is to overpay for a QB who has NEVER made the playoffs.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, j4jets said:

 

Finally, Geno > Fitz and its actually not even close. Whether Geno is better than Tebow, is a whole different story 

 

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha .... You are hysterical brother !

 

so your belief is :

Tebow > Geno > big distance > Fitz

 

 

 

image.jpeg

image.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

_84828171_geno_smith.jpg

 

I'll start the guy who doesn't fumble behind his back, run out of bounds for no reason, or get punched by his teammates, thanks.

Might as well start Hackenberg or Petty if we're gonna just go with a trash QB who doesn't know how to play the game yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, ljr said:

 

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha .... You are hysterical brother !

 

so your belief is :

Tebow > Geno > big distance > Fitz

 

 

 

image.jpeg

image.gif

I see you have a reading comprehension issue. Not surprised, half your posts are full of misinformed assumptions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Broncos are paying Sanchez $4.5M, with a max of $7.6M if he hits certain escalators.  They would 100 % have paid Fitz more than $5M.

But they didn't sign him probably cuz Fitz wanted Brady money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

But they didn't sign him probably cuz Fitz wanted Brady money. 

The argument presented was that no one would have signed Fitz at backup money, which is pretty much patently false.  A bunch of teams were interested in his services at backup prices.

Basically the hate for Fitz has gone too far at this point.  He is what he is, and wants to cash in on a good season.  Yet we have over 200 pages of people whining about it.  Who cares?  Either he signs for our price or he doesn't.  And if he doesn't, the Geno supporters will get their wish.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Might as well start Hackenberg or Petty if we're gonna just go with a trash QB who doesn't know how to play the game yet. 

Don't be so hard on Fitz.  Yes he's a trash starter, but he is a good backup.  So he certainly knows how to play the game.  He just physically cannot.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Yet they didn't.  

Because Fitz wanted starter money.  The argument you presented is that they would NOT have paid him in the $5M range, nothing to do with what they actually DID.  This is fairly simple stuff here.  Try to keep up.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all with Fitz we're not talking about ten years ago. This argument about never being on a playoff team is BS and just an excuse not to sign him by the haters. Or the self acclaimed capologists who don't want to pay him. He didn't make the playoffs because he was a 7th round pick on the Rams a bad team. And all of the teams he played for whether as backup or starter were under .500 teams like Buff, the Titans, Houston, etc. So if he was a backup on a playoff team would that have mattered at all. The guy played well for us and ran the offense well in 2016. He's asking for a one year contract. The 12 mil is reasonable for a starter but he'll probably have to take less. Playing hardball with starting Qbs is not the way most teams operate. They know they need to have a Qb in a good frame of mind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rangers9 said:

First of all with Fitz we're not talking about ten years ago. This argument about never being on a playoff team is BS and just an excuse not to sign him by the haters. Or the self acclaimed capologists who want to don't want to pay him. He didn't make the playoffs because he was a 7th round pick on the Rams a bad team. And all of the teams he played for whether as backup or starter were under .500 teams like Buff, the Titans, Houston, etc. So if he was a backup on a playoff team would that have mattered at all. The guy played well for us and ran the offense well in 2016. He's asking for a one year contract. The 12 mil is reasonable for a starter but he'll probably have to take less. Playing hardball with starting Qbs is not the way most teams operate. They know they need to have a Qb in a good frame of mind. 

he had talent to win in Buffalo and Houston.  he's a "good" QB for bad teams, he will put up #s and fool people but put him in a big spot and you get week 17 of the 2015 season.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because Fitz wanted starter money.  The argument is that they would NOT have paid him in the $5M range, nothing to do with what they actually DID.  This is fairly simple stuff here.  Try to keep up.

He's not getting any offers.  Teams do not want him starting.  And I'd guess a couple teams would take him as a backup in the 4mil range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

He's not getting any offers.  Teams do not want him starting.  And I'd guess a couple teams would take him as a backup in the 4mil range.

lol.  Nice backpedal from this statement:

 

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

In fact I doubt any other team in the NFL would pay Fitz 5mil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...