Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/06/ron_jaworski_ryan_fitzpatrick_shouldve_thrown_30_i.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

Ron Jaworski: Ryan Fitzpatrick should've thrown 30 INTs for Jets (VIDEO)

By Jordan Raanan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on June 14, 2016 at 7:00 AM, updated June 14, 2016 at 8:29 AM

GALLOWAY ‐ Ryan Fitzpatrick's career year with the Jets may not have been as great as the numbers suggest.

Former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Ron Jaworksi recently re-watched every snap Fitzpatrick was behind center last year. He was far from blown away by Fitzpatrick's 31 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Ron Jaworksi provides blunt assessment of QB Ryan FitzpatrickFormer NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski wasn't blown away by Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2015 season with the Jets. 6/13/16 (Jordan Raanan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

"No, he didn't have a great year. You think he had a great year. I don't," Jaworski said Monday at the 33rd annual Ron Jaworski Celebrity Golf Challenge. "It depends on what you consider a great year. People are going to look at numbers, look at what the Jets did.

"I don't think with Ryan Fitzpatrick -- this isn't personal, I like Ryan Fitzpatrick -- but to be a playoff team and championship contender you have to be consistent for 60 snaps a game for 16 weeks. He's too inconsistent."

According to Jaworski there should've been more than 15 interceptions. Fitzpatrick was fortunate that was all that ended on his resume.

Interceptions have long been his Achilles heel.

"I went through every throw he made last year in the offseason. If you look at the numbers, you say only 15 interceptions. Well, it should have been 30," Jaworski said. "There were 15 that doinked off a linebacker's hand or safety's hand that should've been intercepted. So you have to look at that. So he was a little bit lucky.

Fitzpatrick, 33, is currently a free agent stuck in a contract squabble with the Jets. There appears to be no end in sight.

The veteran signal caller had never a season quite like 2015. Previously, his best years were 2010 and 2012 with the Buffalo Bills.'

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/06/ron_jaworski_ryan_fitzpatrick_shouldve_thrown_30_i.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

Ron Jaworski: Ryan Fitzpatrick should've thrown 30 INTs for Jets (VIDEO)

By Jordan Raanan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on June 14, 2016 at 7:00 AM, updated June 14, 2016 at 8:29 AM

GALLOWAY ‐ Ryan Fitzpatrick's career year with the Jets may not have been as great as the numbers suggest.

Former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Ron Jaworksi recently re-watched every snap Fitzpatrick was behind center last year. He was far from blown away by Fitzpatrick's 31 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Ron Jaworksi provides blunt assessment of QB Ryan FitzpatrickFormer NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski wasn't blown away by Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2015 season with the Jets. 6/13/16 (Jordan Raanan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

"No, he didn't have a great year. You think he had a great year. I don't," Jaworski said Monday at the 33rd annual Ron Jaworski Celebrity Golf Challenge. "It depends on what you consider a great year. People are going to look at numbers, look at what the Jets did.

"I don't think with Ryan Fitzpatrick -- this isn't personal, I like Ryan Fitzpatrick -- but to be a playoff team and championship contender you have to be consistent for 60 snaps a game for 16 weeks. He's too inconsistent."

According to Jaworski there should've been more than 15 interceptions. Fitzpatrick was fortunate that was all that ended on his resume.

Interceptions have long been his Achilles heel.

"I went through every throw he made last year in the offseason. If you look at the numbers, you say only 15 interceptions. Well, it should have been 30," Jaworski said. "There were 15 that doinked off a linebacker's hand or safety's hand that should've been intercepted. So you have to look at that. So he was a little bit lucky.

Fitzpatrick, 33, is currently a free agent stuck in a contract squabble with the Jets. There appears to be no end in sight.

The veteran signal caller had never a season quite like 2015. Previously, his best years were 2010 and 2012 with the Buffalo Bills.'

So what is Mac going to say to Fitz's agent: your Qb led the league in "almost interceptions." 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Jaworski also swore that Kellen Clemens was the best QB in that draft, and bound to be our franchise QB.

Every QB has passes that "should have been intercepted". I really don't mind people not being fond of Fitz, but the stuff like this that gets trotted out as part of the argument is plainly stupid. Things like this are not exclusive to Fitz. He's a mediocre QB, capable of starting. That's it. 

The rest is all nonsense.

And how many easily catchable passes were dropped last season, even by Marshall?  If we're going to just double Fitz's INT total just because Jaws says so, I can clearly remember in my mind at least 4-5 extra TD's Fitz "should have" had as well. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So what is Mac going to say to Fitz's agent: your Qb led the league in "almost interceptions." 

no he's going to say something like based on our evaluations, we're willing to pay your client $8M a year. if you can find a better offer out there then maybe we'll talk, but this is as far as we're willing to go right now

• Upvote 1

So apparently the important thing to note is that 10 years ago Jaws once thought the 2nd-3rd best college QB in a draft was going to be the best one. Therefore anything he says about any pro QB is null and void forever. 

Wonder if that idiotic standard holds true for everyone who once misjudged a college prospect 10 years later. Lol. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

10 years ago Jaws once thought the 2nd-3rd best college QB in a draft was going to be the best one. Therefore anything he says about any pro QB is null and void forever. 

Wonder if that idiotic standard holds true for everyone who once misjudged a college prospect 10 years later. Lol. 

are you arguing with yourself now ?  Dude

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

10 years ago Jaws once thought the 2nd-3rd best college QB in a draft was going to be the best one. Therefore anything he says about any pro QB is null and void forever. 

whats your stance on "just missed field goals", "almost tackles", and "close losses"?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how many easily catchable passes were dropped last season, even by Marshall?  If we're going to just double Fitz's INT total just because Jaws says so, I can clearly remember in my mind at least 4-5 extra TD's Fitz "should have" had as well. 

the answer is 26, yet it doesn't seem to be part of the pro fitz argument. lets get back to talking about "almost interceptions". its a way better tool to judge qb's by. let me retract that. its a way better tool to judge how bad a qb fitz is.

10 minutes ago, ylekram said:

the answer is 26, yet it doesn't seem to be part of the pro fitz argument. lets get back to talking about "almost interceptions". its a way better tool to judge qb's by. let me retract that. its a way better tool to judge how bad a qb fitz is.

sure, if you want to excuse poor decision making because it's precious fitzy then don't bother reviewing his play 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All I can remember was the great Suoer Bowl Jaws had.  Didn't he throw for like 500 yards and 6 td's? Oh no that was Plunkett.  Jaws you got kicked off NFL Monday night. Stick to AM radio. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, ylekram said:

whats your stance on "just missed field goals", "almost tackles", and "close losses"?

The same. Missed tackles are important, dropped passes are important, fumbles that were recovered by a teammate...all of these things are a view into how likely a person is to repeat. Otherwise what one is betting on is a repetition of unlikely luck. 

If a QB throws a pick right at a defender and it's simply dropped by the defender, the throw is just as bad as the same pass that isn't dropped by the defender. Whether picked off or not, the pass was equally as bad.

To deny this is tantamount to insisting past interceptions are not important to look at because, being in the past, they have no bearing on likely future events. Meanwhile we all know that's absurd. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Sure he can do it. Why hasn't he then? 

He has.  Mac has put his offer out there, and if Fitz takes it, he's a Jet.  If Fitz doesn't take it, somebody else plays QB for the Jets.  You've got this weird idea that if the Jets like Fitz, they like him at any price.  No, the Jets don't like Fitz that much.  Which means that Fitz comes to camp at the money the Jets offered, or Fitz sits at home and watches the NFL on TV this year.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The same. Missed tackles are important, dropped passes are important, fumbles that were recovered by a teammate...all of these things are a view into how likely a person is to repeat. Otherwise what one is betting on is a repetition of unlikely luck. 

If a QB throws a pick right at a defender and it's simply dropped by the defender, the throw is just as bad as the same pass that isn't dropped by the defender. Whether picked off or not, the pass was equally as bad.

To deny this is tantamount to insisting past interceptions are not important to look at because, being in the past, they have no bearing on likely future events. Meanwhile we all know that's absurd. 

Like this gem that should have been an easy pick 6

image.gif

3 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Your idea of how much more Fitz is worth than Geno apparently does not correspond to the Jets' idea of how much more Fitz is worth than Geno.

The Jets certainly do not believe Geno to be worth  3 years at 6 mil per year with 6 more mil signing bonus &  a total of 15 of that guaranteed !

47 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

He has.  Mac has put his offer out there, and if Fitz takes it, he's a Jet.  If Fitz doesn't take it, somebody else plays QB for the Jets.  You've got this weird idea that if the Jets like Fitz, they like him at any price.  No, the Jets don't like Fitz that much.  Which means that Fitz comes to camp at the money the Jets offered, or Fitz sits at home and watches the NFL on TV this year.

Well they interviewed a couple of Qbs and didn't sign them. And still say they want him as starting Qb. As a matter of fact Bowles said today this could go on for a few more months but indicated he'll be signed. So I guess the interest is still there. If he doesn't sign with the Jets there will be Qb openings either in training camp or during the regular season so if he wants to he'll play and probably start. As for price I'm glad you're an expert on what Qbs in the NFL make. Why don't you take  a look at the salaries of starting Qbs on every team in the NFL. If Mac doesn't want the guy why not just say goodbye. He hasn't done that. I wonder why. 

I have to disagree.  When I was in the business of making job offers I never made one until I knew it would be accepted.  Leaving it on the table is weakness.  This isn't about value as much as structure.  The jets want fitz to commit to back up money after what would essentially be 2 years as the starter.  If they are so sure his skills won't warrant starting money after this year, do a 1 year deal. 

They tried a one year deal, Fitz wants 12m for one year. He's not worth it. They've moved on. I guess DEN shouldn't have made their offer to Von Miller as well given your logic, seeing as he's not accepting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Well they interviewed a couple of Qbs and didn't sign them. And still say they want him as starting Qb. As a matter of fact Bowles said today this could go on for a few more months but indicated he'll be signed. So I guess the interest is still there. If he doesn't sign with the Jets there will be Qb openings either in training camp or during the regular season so if he wants to he'll play and probably start. As for price I'm glad you're an expert on what Qbs in the NFL make. Why don't you take  a look at the salaries of starting Qbs on every team in the NFL. If Mac doesn't want the guy why not just say goodbye. He hasn't done that. I wonder why. 

If Fitz wants one of those starting QB salaries from other teams he should've signed an offer from another team. Oh that's right....

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

If Fitz wants one of those starting QB salaries from other teams he should've signed an offer from another team. Oh that's right....

Well we've over this before. There are no job openings this off season for starting Qbs. They are all filled. If Tannehill or Andy Dalton was available they'd both have problems getting a starting job this year.  But that will change. And nobody is saying he should get average pay for a starting Qb which is 16. To me the 12 is fair but looks like he will have to take less money. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not to mention that stretch where Marshsll made bone-headed game altering mistakes a few weeks in a row. All on Fitz.

• Upvote 1

Well we've over this before. There are no job openings this off season for starting Qbs. They are all filled. If Tannehill or Andy Dalton was available they'd both have problems getting a starting job this year.  But that will change. And nobody is saying he should get average pay for a starting Qb which is 16. To me the 12 is fair but looks like he will have to take less money

Lol come on man that is such bs.. There are only a few teams that are "locked in " to their qbs.. Are you saying if tom Brady was a FA he would unsigned right now because " well there are not any open qb spots this year " sorry Tom.. The other teams just have better options than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not only better options but most at a much better value than what fitz wants.. Fitz has been a backup most of his career, only getting playing time when other guys got hurt.. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Jaworski also swore that Kellen Clemens was the best QB in that draft, and bound to be our franchise QB.

Every QB has passes that "should have been intercepted". I really don't mind people not being fond of Fitz, but the stuff like this that gets trotted out as part of the argument is plainly stupid. Things like this are not exclusive to Fitz. He's a mediocre QB, capable of starting. That's it. 

The rest is all nonsense.

Of course they do, but the point is that most QB's didn't have as many plays that should have been turnovers as Fitzpatrick did. like how DVOA normalizes strength of schedule/average % of fumbles recovered to league average. you can pretend like poor play didnt happen because it's not in the final box score but I have yet to see a coherent argument that disproves it

22 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Well we've over this before. There are no job openings this off season for starting Qbs. They are all filled. If Tannehill or Andy Dalton was available they'd both have problems getting a starting job this year.  But that will change. And nobody is saying he should get average pay for a starting Qb which is 16. To me the 12 is fair but looks like he will have to take less money

Lol come on man that is such bs.. There are only a few teams that are "locked in " to their qbs.. Are you saying if tom Brady was a FA he would unsigned right now because " well there are not any open qb spots this year " sorry Tom.. The other teams just have better options than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not only better options but most at a much better value than what fitz wants.. Fitz has been a backup most of his career, only getting playing time when other guys got hurt.. 

All you have to do is to name those job openings. And I didn't say Brady but the Giants aren't going to cut Eli if Tannehill is available. Same goes for most teams who have vet Qbs like Flacco on long term deals or young guys like Carr or Teddy. So where are the openings. There aren't any that's where. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

All you have to do is to name those job openings. And I didn't say Brady but the Giants aren't going to cut Eli if Tannehill is available. Same goes for most teams who have vet Qbs like Flacco on long term deals or young guys like Carr or Teddy. So where are the openings. There aren't any that's where. 

If any NFL team thought that they could upgrade their starting QB position by adding fitzpatrick, then they would find a way to sign him, in fact he'd have multiple bidders. the league knows what fitz is at this point, a scrap-heap QB who's probably not good enough to take your team anywhere but at least brings a professional attitude to the position. unfortunately for him though, most teams would rather gamble on a young player with upside then sign up for another season of mediocrity

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

All you have to do is to name those job openings.

At present there are no openings, because the teams that needed new QBs at the end of last year knew Fitz would be available, said "Nuts!", and made other plans.  Thing is, there would be openings on several teams IF they wanted to make Fitz part of their plans then.  They didn't.

Saying there were no openings in the other 31 teams for starting QB is the most hilarious line of argument I've ever heard.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Just off the top of my head- jets, Rams, 49ers, broncos, browns, texans, bills, Eagles all had qb question marks at the start of the offseason.. The Texans chose Brock over fitz (shocker ).. Rams and eagles do not have to start the rookies right away, and looks like Eagles will not.. But Eagles do not trade the farm to move up to get a qb top of this draft if they were confident with Bradford.. If fitz was a better option than Bradford Eagles could have traded Bradford, signed fitz and keep all the picks they traded away.. Or have Bradford as backup and move Daniels. There are a bunch of other teams that have so-so qbs on low salary that could be pushed to a backup if a upgrade was on the market.. But there is not.. Like the above posters mention, many teams would LOVE to upgrade at qb. 

• Upvote 2

A developmental QB got paid insane amounts of money.

A QB in a QB friendly system who threw for 12 less TDs and 200 less yards got paid

A perennial back up QB got paid

A SB champ team took a backup QB, and the chance a QB drops to them in the draft

A guy run out of town for being a diva got paid

Ryan Fitzpatrick had plenty of options, but other teams have recognized that he over-achieved last year with a very good cast around him, and is due to regress.  I saw this movie before with Lin-sanity, about how his athletic short-comings were going to be made up for by his brilliance.  Right now we are the only team to even show interest on a consistent basis, and I would rather just move on than drag on with the drama.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, cant wait said:

Like this gem that should have been an easy pick 6

image.gif

Might as well use those runway flashlights to point to his target before throwing it. Not that Geno has been any better, but Fitz has such tunnel vision. 

Looking again now because it's on a loop. Jesus, could he have thrown a more perfect pass to the defender? Bounced off 2 hands. 

And this was my point. If it's not dropped, and comes back the other way for 6, was it really any worse of a pass? Is doing a better job passing defined by a defender missing an opportunity served up on a silver platter? The stats that people say "don't lie" mark up this potential game/season-blowing choke job of a throw the same as intentionally spiking it to kill the clock. 

But by all means pay him $12M for this season alone, like he's requesting as an alleged cave-in. I'm sure there will be excuses galore as we face non-depleted top 5 defense after top 5 defense in Sept-Oct, because the defense will now also have to face a bunch of good offenses as well. I'm sure we'll run the table if only we bring him back to start, and it'll be money well spent.

8 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Just off the top of my head- jets, Rams, 49ers, broncos, browns, texans, bills, Eagles all had qb question marks at the start of the offseason.. The Texans chose Brock over fitz (shocker ).. Rams and eagles do not have to start the rookies right away, and looks like Eagles will not.. But Eagles do not trade the farm to move up to get a qb top of this draft if they were confident with Bradford.. If fitz was a better option than Bradford Eagles could have traded Bradford, signed fitz and keep all the picks they traded away.. Or have Bradford as backup and move Daniels. There are a bunch of other teams that have so-so qbs on low salary that could be pushed to a backup if a upgrade was on the market.. But there is not.. Like the above posters mention, many teams would LOVE to upgrade at qb. 

The Bills have Tyrod Taylor.so let's stop being silly. The 49ers are paying Kap. So they have no cap room for two starting Qbs unless they get rid of him. The Rams got the overall no. 1 and also have an expensive Qb in Foles on their roster. They can't afford two starting Qbs plus Goff who will probably start. The Eagles have both Bradford and Daniels (who basically came with the HC from the Chiefs). You already mentioned Osweiller. And btw neither Fitz or the Jets expected him not to be the Jets starter this season or anticipated this standoff. So the negotiations between Fitz and Denver didn't go far because it was assumed by all parties he was coming back here. There are 32 starting Qbs and really no openings. And Fitz isn't going to replace an incumbent franchise Qb like an Eli, etc. He's a B list starter but still a starter. Most seasons there are jobs available. But not this year. And if other incumbent Qbs were in the same boat (not the elites) they would be hard pressed to find a job this year too.