Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

11 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Smith's stats are facts, and the fact is they show he sucked.  Did he get better?  Maybe.  But that he did is not a fact that is available to us as proof.  So until further notice he sucks.

This part I agree with, as much as I'd like him to succeed, as much as he's looked really good for the most part this summer and last, and as much as - while I do understand it - I don't truly want the team to waste (some would say need to waste) time and money on Fitzpatrick. 

I'm sure he got better. Probably even noticeably better. Since the starting point was as low as it was, "better" may still be far from good enough. As a stopgap, my concern is just that he might not warrant being on the field long enough to transfer to one of the other two.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

hahaha, the best talent we have had around a QB since the 80s but yeah I'm overrating it.

in one full year we won 8 games w/ Geno, it took Fitz how many years before a team won as many as 8 games w/ him? and he still gagged when his team needed him most.

And the other year with more talent he was a 4-12. Again we're not talking about Fitz ten years ago. And the fact is  all of the teams he played for were subpar except for the Texans in 2014. 

24 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I was thinking 5 because he has the resume and isn't a bad Qb,. I don't  think the Texans really know what they're doing. O'Brien is supposed to be such a great Qb expert. But I don't see it. 

If we offered 5mil to Hoyer when his other best option was 2mil, Macc would've been foolish.  3mil woulda got it done.

That'd be like offering Fitz 24mil (potentially 36) over 3 years when Fitz's likely other options are 4-5mil on a one year deal at best.  ... ... $hit, Macc may be a fool.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Every single thing this regime has done has suggested a complete distrust in Geno Smith.  Actions speak louder than words.  They see this guy every day.  You and I do not.

As they play hardball with your conquering hero...

lol

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

And the other year with more talent he was a 4-12. Again we're not talking about Fitz ten years ago. And the fact is  all of the teams he played for were subpar except for the Texans in 2014. 

we had very little talent in 2014, it was night and day compared to 2015.  stop it. Fitz on the 2014 team and we win 4-5 games.

Buffalo had talented teams while he was there but every year he'd fold as the games got bigger.

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If we offered 5mil to Hoyer when his other best option was 2mil, Macc would've been foolish.  3mil woulda got it done.

That'd be like offering Fitz 24mil (potentially 36) over 3 years when Fitz's likely other options are 4-5mil on a one year deal at best.  ... ... $hit, Macc may be a fool.

Some fans like to play Madden you love to play The Price is Right except you're wrong. Don't you have any clue about Qb salaries in the NFL. Anyways you had Fitz down to 4 yesterday. Let's make it 3 which means a pay cut. But as for Mac he has no experience in negotiating contracts and in his 2nd year as GM he is in a 3 month standoff with the Qb he says he wants as his starting Qb. This isn't being smart or tough it's just possibly wrecking any momentum we had for 2016. The thing about some of you guys is. You think you know more than the players. Kind of hard to believe. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Some fans like to play Madden you love to play The Price is Right except you're wrong. Don't you have any clue about Qb salaries in the NFL. Anyways you had Fitz down to 4 yesterday. Let's make it 3 which means a pay cut. But as for Mac he has no experience in negotiating contracts and in his 2nd year as GM he is in a 3 month standoff with the Qb he says he wants as his starting Qb. This isn't being smart or tough it's just possibly wrecking any momentum we had for 2016. The thing about some of you guys is. You think you know more than the players. Kind of hard to believe. 

Would that mean you know more then Mac about contracts??

21 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we had very little talent in 2014, it was night and day compared to 2015.  stop it. Fitz on the 2014 team and we win 4-5 games.

Buffalo had talented teams while he was there but every year he'd fold as the games got bigger.

I'm talking Buffalo under Rex. A lot of talent on offense. And a productive young Qb. And we all know they had a good defense who played well the year before when they had good coaching. As for 2014 we had a tight end who was productive but not in 2015. And the same skill players except for Marshall. Decker played and just because he was beat up- who wasn't beat up. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Momentum?  Did you watch week 17?

We obviously differ greatly on how the market works, so no sense discussing that again.

I'm surprised you're not suggesting giving Geno a raise to 12mil since he will be the starter this season.  Sure he's still under his rookie deal, but the market for starters is at least 12mil.  It's only fair.

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

As they play hardball with your conquering hero...

lol

If "hardball" is offering $12M this year and $24M total over 3, then sure.  Meanwhile, the best thing Macc has said about Geno Smith in 2 years is that he's "under contract", while adding 3 new QB's to the roster in the process (and perhaps looking at another one, if the tweet Carl posted is true).

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

Would that mean you know more then Mac about contracts??

No obviously not. But I know teams don't usually do this kind of thing with their starting Qb. They work things out so they can be ready for the season. And don't fight over a few million bucks.  And it doesn't matter if don't like him. He's the choice of the FO and the coaching staff and the players. And most of the fans.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If "hardball" is offering $12M this year and $24M total over 3, then sure.  Meanwhile, the best thing Macc has said about Geno Smith in 2 years is that he's "under contract".

Actions speak louder than words.  Perhaps the current offer is there to completely scare off any sane GM from making another realistic offer, while also keeping the insane Fitz camp wanting more.

All while seeing if Geno is ready.  (Macc, he is.  End the madness.)

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm talking Buffalo under Rex. A lot of talent on offense. And a productive young Qb. And we all know they had a good defense who played well the year before when they had good coaching. As for 2014 we had a tight end who was productive but not in 2015. And the same skill players except for Marshall. Decker played and just because he was beat up- who wasn't beat up. 

the QB missed 3 games, the big WR missed time, the big RB missed time.

we had an OC in 2015 who didn't use TEs and which TE was productive exactly?

you can't say same skill players except Marshall when Marshall was far and away our best player.  it's wrong either way but even if only difference was Marshall that differnce is HUGE.

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Momentum?  Did you watch week 17?

We obviously differ greatly on how the market works, so no sense discussing that again.

I'm surprised you're not suggesting giving Geno a raise to 12mil since he will be the starter this season.  Sure he's still under his rookie deal, but the market for starters is at least 12mil.  It's only fair.

First if you watched that game if the punter didn't shank a punt which led to a Buff Td we win. And there were drops and basically a poor team effort but still we were within one play of winning. Geno is on a contract. If he starts and plays well this year he will ask for a lot more. If he's a starter he isn't going to work for backup money or any of the silly numbers you keep tossing out which in this market are ridiculous. Fitz played under a backup deal for 2 years and started 28 games during that period and didn't complain about it and obviously outplayed that contract. You can make up all the low ball salaries you want to but it's nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the QB missed 3 games, the big WR missed time, the big RB missed time.

we had an OC in 2015 who didn't use TEs and which TE was productive exactly?

you can't say same skill players except Marshall when Marshall was far and away our best player.  it's wrong either way but even if only difference was Marshall that differnce is HUGE.

Marshall is not a consistently great player. His game is flawed. He makes mistakes. One great thing with Fitz is that he works great with Marshall who the Bears got rid of for disrupting the locker room. Reporters said they could hear him yelling and screaming at teammates after games. And he didn't get along with the Qb. One of the reasons he had a great season was because of Fitz and visa versa. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Marshall is not a consistently great player. His game is flawed. He makes mistakes. One great thing with Fitz is that he works great with Marshall who the Bears got rid of for disrupting the locker room. Reporters said they could hear him yelling and screaming at teammates after games. And he didn't get along with the Qb. One of the reasons he had a great season was because of Fitz and visa versa. 

every player makes mistakes but far and away he was our best player last year and it wasn't close.  he may have disrupted the bears LR but he didn't do that here(yet).  last year was the best year I have ever seen from a Jets WR.  

his #s were down in 2014 b/c he was hurt. he didn't have a great year b/c of Fitz, he had a great year b/c he's great.

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

First if you watched that game if the punter didn't shank a punt which led to a Buff Td we win. And there were drops and basically a poor team effort but still we were within one play of winning. Geno is on a contract. If he starts and plays well this year he will ask for a lot more. If he's a starter he isn't going to work for backup money or any of the silly numbers you keep tossing out which in this market are ridiculous. Fitz played under a backup deal for 2 years and started 28 games during that period and didn't complain about it and obviously outplayed that contract. You can make up all the low ball salaries you want to but it's nonsense. 

now it's the punters fault?:lol:

Just now, Mike135 said:

It's tough being the punter.  Sure they may get all the glory for winning, but also get all the blame for losses.

Kicker Doug Brien knows how this feels the Offense scored 0 points in the 2004 Pitt playoff game but he got blamed for blowing it..:wacko:

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Like Fitz led the Jets "almost to the playoffs"?

And your team almost lost a lot of games but won them in the last couple of seconds. I didn't start the stats of "almost interceptions" and "almost incompletions." Of course almost incompletions means completions. I'll take those anytime. And if Jaws wants to spend his time on that kind of stupid stuff maybe he should get a life. 

15 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

every player makes mistakes but far and away he was our best player last year and it wasn't close.  he may have disrupted the bears LR but he didn't do that here(yet).  last year was the best year I have ever seen from a Jets WR.  

his #s were down in 2014 b/c he was hurt. he didn't have a great year b/c of Fitz, he had a great year b/c he's great.

So you give the Qb no credit for him having one of his greatest years minus a couple of major game changing stupid plays (by Marshall). I think he disagrees with you on that one. And so do all of his teammates except Geno. And that includes his other key playmaker. Friend or no friend if the Qb is incompetent they don't want him around. 

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You weren't reading what I was saying because you only know black or white, good or bad nothing in between. Based on last year he's a great fit for this team and the offense. He can run it well and has a great relationship with the players and coaches. That's as important as pure talent. So for 2016 I'd love to see us try to follow up on what we did successfully last year. Most of it was positive. As for Dalton he's not an A list Qb. I only used his name earlier to make the point that if he was a FA this off season he would also have problems finding a starting job. Because the truth is there aren't any. And teams have committed themselves to guys usually on long term deals. They aren't going to cut somebody and lose a ton of money to sign someone else.

Like I said, you've reached a whole new level. 

7 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

And so do all of his teammates except Geno. And that includes his other key playmaker.

ALL his teammates?  You don't know that.  And yeah, Fitz has a nice personality but the Jets don't want to pay him full starter's salary because he's a backup who gave them a decent year, but the Jets don't think he went up to a different level.  They think his numbers are a combination of luck and weak schedule.  So their offer is more than a backup, less than an established starter.  That's the Jets' view of what Fitz is worth, and Fitz better get used to the idea fast and sign  because Geno's the Jets starter right now and the Jets might get used to the idea of Geno as the starter as time goes on. 

Plus, since not overpaying Fitz allows the Jets to pay some better players, the Jets might get the idea to get even better players by not signing Fitz at all.

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Marshall had the best year ever by a Jet WR.  He had a great year for any WR.  He was easily the best player we had on offense.  But to you he's not consistent, a flawed player.

But Fitz isn't, should be paid more than Marshall.  Much more.  

You can't really believe this nonsense. 

-- There's a new layer to the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract saga, because why not? There's no such thing as a cut-and-dried quarterback controversy when it comes to the New York Jets.Not only are they trying to re-sign Fitzpatrick, but the Jets also are monitoring the quarterback market. It sounds as though they will add a veteran if Fitzpatrick doesn't return.

"Yeah, we'll entertain that," coach Todd Bowles said Wednesday. "We've talked about that."

It would be a common-sense move.

Right now, the backups are Bryce Petty (no regular-season experience) and rookie Christian Hackenberg. The Jets are a win-now team, so it would be smart to buy insurance at the most important position, considering the lack of experience and Geno Smith's past struggles in the starting role.

Who's available ?

Let's just say it's slim pickings in the free-agent market: Michael Vick, Charlie Whitehurst, T.J. Yates ... you get the picture. Two players under contract could shake free at some point -- Nick Foles (Los Angeles Rams) and Josh McCown (Cleveland Browns), the latter of whom has piqued the Jets' interest in the past.Hackenberg isn't close to being ready to play. Petty "has grown a lot," quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo said, but he remains a work in progress. As usual, there are a few moving parts at the quarterback position. Same old, same old.

A few takeaways from Wednesday's practice :

• Cornerback Darrelle Revis, three months removed from wrist surgery, practiced for the first time in positional drills, a baby step in the rehab process. Revis still has a ways to go, but he expects to be ready for training camp. Bowles said, "We talked about it. We're going to be careful with it. If he's feeling good, he'll let me know. I trust him. If he's not feeling good, he'll let me know. I trust that, too."

•  

• Right tackle Breno Giacomini and wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins were excused from drills, Bowles said. Thompkins was attending a family graduation. Cornerback Juston Burris, a fourth-round pick, is out with a hamstring injury.

•  

• Smith had another solid practice -- he was especially sharp in a two-minute drill -- but it wasn't flawless. With a front-side blitz bearing down on him, Smith rushed a pass and was intercepted by nose tackle Steve McLendon, who dropped into coverage. That said, Smith looks more decisive than a year ago. The ball comes out quicker, and it helps to have Eric Decker andBrandon Marshall, arguably the top two players on the field in minicamp. Marshall dominated the first two days, especially in the red zone.

•  

• It was a good news-bad news day for tight end Jace Amaro, and it all happened in about a minute. During a two-minute drill, he made a diving catch across the middle, much to the delight of his offensive teammates. But one play later, he dropped a pass in the back of the end zone. Amaro, who had some drop issues as a rookie in 2014, is a key player this season. The Jets need a threat at tight end, and Amaro is the best they've got.

•  

• Rookie Jordan Jenkins continued to see extensive action with the starters, but he's not atop the depth chart at his outside-linebacker position. Technically, he's behind Trevor Reilly, but it's a fluid situation. Lorenzo Mauldin is the favorite to win the other outside slot.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60956/new-york-jets-might-add-veteran-quarterback-if-ryan-fitzpatrick-doesnt-return

9 hours ago, j4jets said:

Like I said, you've reached a whole new level. 

If a team has a Qb signed to a long term deal and are committed to them financially they are not going to cut that player and lose money to sign another Qb. Get it! 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

If a team has a Qb signed to a long term deal and are committed to them financially they are not going to cut that player and lose money to sign another Qb. Get it! 

smh

15 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Kicker Doug Brien knows how this feels the Offense scored 0 points in the 2004 Pitt playoff game but he got blamed for blowing it..:wacko:

Chad and the O were not good that day in Pitt BUT Brien had not one but TWO makable Fgs to get us to the AFC Championship game so yeah Brien was culprit #1.

15 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah it was. And 52 other guys. But esp him. 

it was a team loss but the main culprit was the QB.  

8 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

ALL his teammates?  You don't know that.  And yeah, Fitz has a nice personality but the Jets don't want to pay him full starter's salary because he's a backup who gave them a decent year, but the Jets don't think he went up to a different level.  They think his numbers are a combination of luck and weak schedule.  So their offer is more than a backup, less than an established starter.  That's the Jets' view of what Fitz is worth, and Fitz better get used to the idea fast and sign  because Geno's the Jets starter right now and the Jets might get used to the idea of Geno as the starter as time goes on. 

Plus, since not overpaying Fitz allows the Jets to pay some better players, the Jets might get the idea to get even better players by not signing Fitz at all.

First he's not a backup he started all of our games. He also started 12 games for Houston in 2014 and has been a starter a good portion of his career. Second his teammates consider him their starting Qb and want him back to lead the offense. If he's the bum you say he is believe me his two key receivers wouldn't want him back even if they personally like the guy. The players don't consider it luck and weak schedule that we won ten games last season and they are confident with Fitz they can compete this year. I love fans who make excuses for Ws. 

First if you watched that game if the punter didn't shank a punt which led to a Buff Td we win. 

That punt occurred early in the 1st quarter.

In the entire history of the NFL, there is not a single play in the 1st quarter that determined the outcome of a game.

That is just another convenient excuse you use to support your idol.

In your eyes, that punt had more of an impact on the outcome than the 3 INT's tossed by your boy toy in the 4th quarter.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

That punt occurred early in the 1st quarter.

In the entire history of the NFL, there is not a single play in the 1st quarter that determined the outcome of a game.

That is just another convenient excuse you use to support your idol.

In your eyes, that punt had more of an impact on the outcome than the 3 INT's tossed by your boy toy in the 4th quarter.

Are you seriously saying that in a 5 point game that punt which led to an easy TD wasn't a significant play. A missed FG too. 

Archived