Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ljr said:

Not sure where your salary math is coming from ... But even God couldn't make Geno more than a serviceable #2 in the league .

Most said that about Fitzpatrick for 10+ years... With an all star cast and a OC who is known to hide qbs weaknesses well, even ray Lucus could have put up numbers fitz did last yr.. 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Most said that about Fitzpatrick for 10+ years... With an all star cast and a OC who is known to hide qbs weaknesses well, even ray Lucus could have put up numbers fitz did last yr.. 

Exactly the Fitzpatrick supporters fail to see he did nothing in the last 10 years and only base his greatness on 1 season. 

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just this part: "And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men."

That would have been something if IK had taken his broken jaw and killed a lot of people with it.  Mac should really be worried about Darron Lee though. Based on his size, this is a very risky draft pick. The odds of that pick working out are stacked against him...sorry that wasn't me. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Would you swear on a stack of bibles on that??

"In Gailey we Trust"  Didn't you know that?  Because he's done miracles with the sh1tty QB's he's coached over the years.  Geno has talent compared to those guys... including the bearded one.

There are two things going on that Fitz has to be thinking; 1- maybe he's doing the old "I'm a vet and I don't NEED to be busting my tail out in this heat, I KNOW how to play this game. and then there's the Parcells paradigm: If you're THINKING about retiring, you already are. In which case it's going to be the Geno Smith Comedy of Errors Era all over again. Two words seem apropos; Good Grief! 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

If we're going to use bible quotes we might as well go all the way on it. In terms of punishment and vengeance for week 17 Fitz is the guy sitting down and you can be Samuel L. Jackson :o. Now are you happy?

Seems just about the right amount of punishment deserved.  Give or take a bullet or two.

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Let's take bets, when will fitz Finally cave and accept the deal ?  

Betting real money...  before preseason week 1.  Because if he doesn't by then, he's not the starter.

But since I'm not betting real money, my emotions play a role...  NEVER.  Dude retires after the best season he could ever hope for.

15 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Betting real money...  before preseason week 1.  Because if he doesn't by then, he's not the starter.

But since I'm not betting real money, my emotions play a role...  NEVER.  Dude retires after the best season he could ever hope for.

Fitz could roll in at halftime of the first game Shane Falco style and he'd be the starter. There are no hard deadlines that the team has made, he can show up whenever. And he's not going to retire with real money to be made out there for him and a starting job he can roll into. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fitz could roll in at halftime of the first game Shane Falco style and he'd be the starter. There are no hard deadlines that the team has made, he can show up whenever. And he's not going to retire with real money to be made out there for him and a starting job he can roll into. 

Sadly the NY Jets are the only team in the NFL still considering the career loser and more sad is the pathetic fans who root for mediocre results. 

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sadly the NY Jets are the only team in the NFL still considering the career loser and more sad is the pathetic fans who root for mediocre results. 

If you discounted all the elite n good QBs along with the half decent QBs, there's a decent chance Fitz becomes an all pro. 

6 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Real $$.. Can keep it modest.. $5 bucks to get in pool ha.. I'm saying July 26th.. if fitz isn't hear by the first day of camp, he no longer gets the same offer, and not promised the starting gig.. Open competion with geno.. He is going to be a little rusty after sitting at home all summer playing with his kids in the treehouse..  Of course he could hope another teams's starter trips and falls crossing the street between now and start of camp.. 

Can you imagine the Steelers, Packers or Pats going through something like that with a below average player?

Perfect example of why some teams always win, and some teams always lose.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Can you imagine the Steelers, Packers or Pats going through something like that with a below average player?

Theres a reason we haven't won in 47 years isn't it quite evident.

16 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

The below average player that beat your team last year 

How is collecting unemployment working for your boy Cassel?

Ryan Fitzpatrick was the only NFL starting quarterback celebrating Independence Day from his team, and the real fireworks will light up the sky outside the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center if the potentially explosive contract staredown between him and the Jets isn’t resolved by the time training camp opens on July 27.It never should have come to this, but the Jets lead the league in Ripley Believe It Or Not moments, too many of them involving the most important position, which they are forever desperately trying to solve.

Enough already.

It is time for the Jets to make their starting quarterback an offer he can’t refuse.It is time for Fitzpatrick to accept an offer he can’t refuse from anyone else because he doesn’t have an offer from anyone else.Shame on the Jets if they cheat their team and demoralize the locker room and cheat and demoralize their fan base.Shame on Fitzpatrick if he sacrifices and sabotages his career at a place he felt so much at home over the almighty buck.Because the way this impasse has dragged on and on and on, Jets fans on July 4 were left barbecuing to the notion that Coney Island hot-dog warrior Joey Chestnut had as much a chance of playing quarterback as Fitzpatrick does.

Open the lines of communication for crying out loud and don’t wait on brinkmanship to save the day.Forget the idea that Fitzpatrick is a long shot at best to repeat his career 2015 season.Forget that Fitzpatrick is no one’s idea of a Quarterback of the Future.Forget that Fitzpatrick was rehabbing a broken leg all last offseason and missed OTAs and minicamp.The clock has been ticking while each side stubbornly refuses to blink, and it is an alarming clock.

Wake up, Jets.

Wake up, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

It’s time for urgency.No waiting until the last minute, when players begin reporting with a giant cloud of distraction over their heads, wondering why their leader remains out of sight.Some way to chase that elusive Super Bowl, huh?Fitzpatrick doesn’t want to accept backup money ($6 million) for 2017 in the event that he remains the starter. Got it.The Jets don’t want to pay him starter’s money ($12 million) for 2017 in the event that he becomes the backup. Got it.

OK then:

Two years, $21 million.

$12 million for 2016, $9 million for 2017.$18 million guaranteed.The Jets get their starting quarterback back.Fitzpatrick gets his team back.It’s called compromise, because it allows both sides to save face.The Jets get the quarterback widely respected in the locker room, the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win at a time when four of their key players are 30 or above.Fitzpatrick gets more than his perceived worth from the only team bidding on him in 2016 and becomes the highest-paid backup in the league in the event that Christian Hackenberg wins the job in 2017.Each side has leverage, and it has all been detailed ad infinitum.And each side must blink.

It is far better for the Jets to lose with Fitzpatrick than lose with Geno Smith and risk alienating their long-suffering fan base and the Win Now locker room.It is far better for Fitzpatrick to seize this last chance to play in his first playoff game than stand on ceremony.Fitzpatrick has to concede that it isn’t the end of the world that he isn’t the Jets’ Quarterback of the Future as long as there is a Quarterback of the Present job waiting for him.The Jets have to concede that it isn’t the end of the world should the leader of their team serve as an invaluable resource should he be the highest-paid backup in the NFL.Stop fiddling and run the risk that Rome could be burning.

Fitzpatrick isn’t Tom Brady. Not even close. But there is opportunity for the Jets if Brady’s four-game Deflategate suspension sticks.

Enough already.

It is time for the Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick to honor an old familiar line from Bill Parcells:Don’t tell me about the pain, show me the baby.

>     http://nypost.com/2016/07/05/the-offer-that-should-finally-end-dumb-jets-fizpatrick-face-off/

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the team believes in Geno Smith, and the arguments made in his defense here at JN by his supporters, there is no need to resign Fitz at any dollar amount beyond backup-level ($4-6 mil for one year).

True, but the Geno fans are wrong (in my humble opinion). he cant read Progressions and no matter what he does in shorts again no pass rush helps his case.. You dont win at a great rate in NFL without being able to go thru at least 3 WRs in a route tree in super fast timing.

That being said, if Geno is the QB, I will root like hell for him.

BLEED GREEN

13 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

True, but the Geno fans are wrong (in my humble opinion).

I agree.  But a strong contingent here does not.

Neither opinion matters.

The facts are simple:  If the GM and the Head Coach and the O-Co believe in Geno Smith, they will not resign Ryan Fitzpatrick at all, or will (at most) offer only a backup-QB deal suited to the teams needs.

And only their opinion counts.

13 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

That being said, if Geno is the QB, I will root like hell for him.

BLEED GREEN

Of course.  I don't understand why some folks think one cannot hope for the best (root for Geno) while also preparing for the worst (Geno's quality of play in years 1 and 2).

We will all root for whomever in in Jets Green on Sundays.  Not having faith in a player does not equal not rooting for a player to do well.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I agree.  But a strong contingent here does not.

Neither opinion matters.

The facts are simple:  If the GM and the Head Coach and the O-Co believe in Geno Smith, they will not resign Ryan Fitzpatrick at all, or will (at most) offer only a backup-QB deal suited to the teams needs.

And only their opinion counts.

Of course.  I don't understand why some folks think one cannot hope for the best (root for Geno) while also preparing for the worst (Geno's quality of play in years 1 and 2).

We will all root for whomever in in Jets Green on Sundays.  Not having faith in a player does not equal not rooting for a player to do well.

Yeah, if they don't sign Fitz then Geno is BAP at Qb. So Go Geno! Here is an article from the NYP by a mediocre Jets beat writer but about a possible compromise http://nypost.com/2016/07/05/the-offer-that-should-finally-end-dumb-jets-fizpatrick-face-off/

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the team believes in Geno Smith, and the arguments made in his defense here at JN by his supporters, there is no need to resign Fitz at any dollar amount beyond backup-level ($4-6 mil for one year).

6mil is a bit high for Fitz.  Still hope it's held at 5mil or less.

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah, if they don't sign Fitz then Geno is BAP at Qb. So Go Geno! Here is an article from the NYP by a mediocre Jets beat writer but about a possible compromise http://nypost.com/2016/07/05/the-offer-that-should-finally-end-dumb-jets-fizpatrick-face-off/

He may be a mediocre writer (and it'd make sense a mediocre writer writes about keeping a mediocre QB), but he'd make a horrible GM.

You DO NOT raise the offer if Fitz has no other offers.  The only way the offer should change is if it goes down or gets pulled.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

He may be a mediocre writer (and it'd make sense a mediocre writer writes about keeping a mediocre QB), but he'd make a horrible GM.

You DO NOT raise the offer if Fitz has no other offers.  The only way the offer should change is if it goes down or gets pulled.

He's the guy Richard Todd pushed into a locker in 1981. And Serby deserved it. As for who the starter should be in 2016. To my way of thinking you go with the guy who has the best chance at being successful and that is the guy who was successful. The team won with this guy, the players and the coaches are confident with him and Geno's one game last year the team played it's worst game of the season. They did not play for Geno that week in all phases. 

Archived