Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

Geno's stats with Oakland. What was the score?

Would have been better if the defense didn't remain in NJ for that game. The Raiders scored almost every time they had the ball. Also folks tend to forget that Geno came in to that game already down a couple of scores.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My stubborn comment was directed to the Jets FO and coaching staff, not you.

Doesn't matter which one of the loser QB's (Fitz or Geno) they go with this season, Jets are looking at 5-7 wins and fighting the Phins to stay out of the AFCE basement.

Why not give one of the young guys, or both, a chance?

You know, sometimes you can be a real jerk!!! So your team got lucky with a one in a million pick at QB and a coaching staff that has turn cheating into an art form.

While both of our young QB's have potential neither is ready to start. An throwing them to the wolves would just about ruin them for the future. Just as throwing Geno in before he was ready stunted his growth as a professional QB.

You guys up in cheating land need to stop judging every other teams QB's by Brady success. What you should be doing is figuring out what happens to you team when he is no longer able to play. Believe me ,that day is fast approaching and from what I saw of his play last season, he is slowing down. I might also remind you, we were one of the teams that beat you last year.

An once Brady is done, so is Belicheat ,because he also knows he too becomes ordinary as well, without the right guy to implement his cheating schemes

Then all the Pats crap that

Is seen all over the American landscape, from tee shirts to hats and car plates will disappear overnight just like most of the bandwagon fans who make up Pats nation.

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

Would have been better if the defense didn't remain in NJ for that game. The Raiders scored almost every time they had the ball. Also folks tend to forget that Geno came in to that game already down a couple of scores.

I said it wasn't all his fault. But the team didn't show up (as soon as Fitz left that game). It's not just about arm strength and speed for a Qb. It's more about leadership ability and how a team relates to a Qb. Among many other things like reading defenses, etc. Our worst game of the year was that game. All of our other games even the Ls were close games including week 17. 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

So, are you saying intangibles are more important than physical skills to be a successful NFL QB?

Not intangibles. Brady doesn't have the greatest arm in the world. I'm talking brains over brawn. 

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

So, are you saying intangibles are more important than physical skills to be a successful NFL QB?

They are just as important. Browning Nagle had all the physical tools but couldn't make it as an NFL QB.

22 hours ago, slats said:

You mentioned Rodgers, I pointed out that Rodgers had three years to sit and learn behind Brett Favre. I don't like Geno, and expect him to be gone after this season. I do, however, definitely believe that he would've been a better QB if he had sat a year or two instead of getting thrown into the fire. Not saying great by any means, but certainly better. 

I also, however, have not been seduced by Fitzpatrick's 31 TDs or 10 wins against an historically easy schedule, with particularly easy defensive opponents, in unbelievably mild football weather - right up until the last week of the season when his weak arm was demonstrably exposed. I don't see the team going to the Super Bowl this year with either Fitzpatrick or Geno, and I definitely don't think that Fitzpatrick is worth $15M guaranteed more than Geno for whatever it is he brings. I'd rather give Geno a chance to show something, and maybe sign for enough money next year that he nets the Jets a comp pick in 2018. 

I understand the front office's desire to lock him up for three years to stabilize the the (backup) QB position, and if he signs the deal on the table I'll greet that news with a hearty, "meh." If the Jets give him a one year deal, or sweeten the pot in any way, I'll be disappointed. If anything, they should set a firm deadline and withdraw the offer. They've been more than patient and more than generous with him. 

No proof he would have been"better", but agreed the circumstances and opportunity would have been better for him.

would have at least removed this phony notion of "we don't know what we have yet", which for all things being what they are, is the true premise for all this arguing.

3 years of prep and then sucking would have like allowed for more agreement over whether he should be the guy.

Not intangibles. Brady doesn't have the greatest arm in the world. I'm talking brains over brawn. 

Brady has an above-average NFL arm, certainly not a cannon.

Fitz's lack of physical skills (arm strength) was very evident last year in week 17.

He was absolutely useless during the 1st and 4th quarters when he had to throw into a 15 MPH wind.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I said it wasn't all his fault. But the team didn't show up (as soon as Fitz left that game). It's not just about arm strength and speed for a Qb. It's more about leadership ability and how a team relates to a Qb. Among many other things like reading defenses, etc. Our worst game of the year was that game. All of our other games even the Ls were close games including week 17. 

Teams "follow" QBs with good skills. You have it backwards. All time greats have both

38 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Teams "follow" QBs with good skills. You have it backwards. All time greats have both

Fitz isn't a great but it was apparent the team followed him and played well under him 2015. Geno has not shown leadership ability.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz isn't a great but it was apparent the team followed him and played well under him 2015. Geno was not shown leadership ability.

Agree but Geno never had the same coaching staff or quality players Rex Ryan is a QB killer he knows nothing about the offensive side of the ball and that hurt Geno.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Fitz isn't a great but it was apparent the team followed him and played well under him 2015. Geno was not shown leadership ability.

I give Fitz a lot of credit, however, Geno had no business playing as a rookie.  For some ridiculous reason Rex inserts Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason game and was knocked out for the year.  While I can't guarantee success, I recognize the physical ability of Geno and wonder whether in is 4th year with solid talent if he can be successful. I don't think it's fair to write him off yet.

25 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I give Fitz a lot of credit, however, Geno had no business playing as a rookie.  For some ridiculous reason Rex inserts Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason game and was knocked out for the year.  While I can't guarantee success, I recognize the physical ability of Geno and wonder whether in is 4th year with solid talent if he can be successful. I don't think it's fair to write him off yet.

If Fitz returns Geno will probably get a chance to play just like he did against Oakland. I mean there is a fair chance Fitz could suffer injuries. He's had a lot of them esp the way he plays. You don't choose a starter just to give a guy a last chance and a try out if you are serious about winning in 2016. You should go with your BAP.

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree but Geno never had the same coaching staff or quality players Rex Ryan is a QB killer he knows nothing about the offensive side of the ball and that hurt Geno.

I only give Geno one excuse. But it's a big one. He shouldn't have started as a rookie. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Blame that on Rex Ryan 

I blame it on Idzik more because he didn't bring in a decent vet to start even before Mark was injured. He brought in Garrard who was injured himself. I personally never wanted Mark to start in 2013.

10 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

A nce hopeful well intentioned look at Geno ... But wrong.

there was a guy who went to my school growing up that was a total d**shbag ... He happened to be big & strong and would find kids younger or smaller than him to push around and bully.  He tried playing football as a kid but the coaches wanted him to play D-line & O-line (back then a lot of guys played both ways) due to his size .  He had visions of scoring with the ball glory so wanted to play RB or not at all.  The team already had a kid at RB who played nice and steady. Over the first couple days of camp The coaches had seen him get some plays trying out at RB and he kept hitting the wrong hole , fumbled the ball a couple times, and refused to put any effort into blocking for his QB which led to sacks & QB hurries.  He kept insisting RB spot be given to him or we all could kiss his *$$ ... So the coaches said sorry ... Bye-bye ... And d**shbag stomped out of there ...  pushing a kid a year or 2 younger on his way out.  Years later he kept getting in fights and doing things he wasn't supposed to ... Eventually he wound up in jail.

1 hour ago, ljr said:

A nce hopeful well intentioned look at Geno ... But wrong.

there was a guy who went to my school growing up that was a total d**shbag ... He happened to be big & strong and would find kids younger or smaller than him to push around and bully.  He tried playing football as a kid but the coaches wanted him to play D-line & O-line (back then a lot of guys played both ways) due to his size .  He had visions of scoring with the ball glory so wanted to play RB or not at all.  The team already had a kid at RB who played nice and steady. Over the first couple days of camp The coaches had seen him get some plays trying out at RB and he kept hitting the wrong hole , fumbled the ball a couple times, and refused to put any effort into blocking for his QB which led to sacks & QB hurries.  He kept insisting RB spot be given to him or we all could kiss his *$$ ... So the coaches said sorry ... Bye-bye ... And d**shbag stomped out of there ...  pushing a kid a year or 2 younger on his way out.  Years later he kept getting in fights and doing things he wasn't supposed to ... Eventually he wound up in jail.

Cool story. :wacko:

14 hours ago, fltflo said:

Score was 0-0 when Geno came in.

With just over two weeks remaining before the Jets report to training camp, the team is no closer to deals with two of its most important players.

The Jets remain at an impasse with free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and disgruntled defensive star Muhammad Wilkerson, on whom the team slapped the franchise tag. According to sources, there has been no progress on either front. That means the Jets are facing the very real possibility of opening training camp on July 28 without their starting quarterback from last year and their best defensive player.

That is far from ideal.

This week is a pivotal one for Wilkerson. The Jets and Wilkerson have until 4 p.m. Friday to reach a long-term contract agreement. If they do not, then Wilkerson would be left with a choice of playing for the $15.7 million franchise tag this season or sitting out the year, which is not going to happen.

Without a long-term deal, there is no incentive for Wilkerson to report to training camp on time, so he likely won’t be there when practices start. He would not face any fines because he technically is not under contract until he signs the franchise tag tender. Wilkerson would not lose any money for staying away until the regular season begins.

As for Fitzpatrick, there has been no movement toward getting a deal done, and time may berunning out. Since the size of the gap between the two sides in this negotiation became apparent in March, training camp has felt like a deadline to get a deal done.The Jets were content to let Fitzpatrick miss the spring program since he is a 33-year-old veteran who knows Chan Gailey’s offense. But training camp is a different situation. Jets coach Todd Bowles said this spring that camp is when he would want his starting quarterback in the building.The Jets and Fitzpatrick have two weeks to hammer out a deal, but which side is going to budge? The Jets’ offer of three years, $24 million with $12 million in the first year has been on the table for months, and Fitzpatrick has rejected it. Fitzpatrick is seeking a bigpayday but does not have much leverage with no other teams interested. His best leverage is his popularity with his teammatesand the prospect of Geno Smith starting the season for the Jets.

There is a thought that Fitzpatrick may be waiting to see if a quarterback gets injured on another team, creating a market for him. That seems like a long shot, though, because no one is going to pay him what the Jets are offering to be a temporary fix at the position.If Fitzpatrick remains unsigned when camp opens, the Jets are going to face an interesting decision. When do you pull the offer completely? At some point, it becomes unfair to Smith, who has worked all offseason as the starter, to hand Fitzpatrick the starting job when he decides to sign.“There comes a point if you get to Week 4 in training camp and he’s not here, you know who your starter is going to be Week 1,”Bowles said last month. “It’s to the extreme, but there is a ticking clock. You have time until you don’t have time.”

That clock is ticking for general manager Mike Maccagnan to get something done with Fitzpatrick and Wilkerson.

>   http://nypost.com/2016/07/11/at-what-point-would-jets-move-on-from-ryan-fitzpatrick/amp/

The Jets and Fitzpatrick have two weeks to hammer out a deal, but which side is going to budge? The Jets’ offer of three years, $24 million with $12 million in the first year has been on the table for months, and Fitzpatrick has rejected it. Fitzpatrick is seeking a big payday but does not have much leverage with no other teams interested. His best leverage is his popularity with his teammatesand the prospect of Geno Smith starting the season for the Jets.

There is a thought that Fitzpatrick may be waiting to see if a quarterback gets injured on another team, creating a market for him. That seems like a long shot, though, because no one is going to pay him what the Jets are offering to be a temporary fix at the position.

If Fitzpatrick remains unsigned when camp opens, the Jets are going to face an interesting decision. When do you pull the offer completely? At some point, it becomes unfair to Smith, who has worked all offseason as the starter, to hand Fitzpatrick the starting job when he decides to sign.

“There comes a point if you get to Week 4 in training camp and he’s not here, you know who your starter is going to be Week 1,” Bowles said last month. “It’s to the extreme, but there is a ticking clock. You have time until you don’t have time.”

With Ryan Fitzpatrick remaining an unsigned free agent (yes, still) and Geno Smith slotted as the starter (for now), the Jets have an unsettled quarterback situation.And Pro Football Focus believes it is the league's worst quarterback situation. PFFranked all 32 quarterback situations across the league. The Jets came in last, behind the Browns and 49ers. 

Why ?  Well, here's why, according to PFF, which not only assessed Smith as the starter, but also Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg as his understudies : 

Key stat : Geno Smith's cumulative career grade for the final four weeks of any season is +12.3; for all other weeks, it's -41.0.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has yet to sign, and may never do so, meaning the Jets will likely be turning back to Geno Smith, at least until they deem Christian Hackenberg is ready. When you're mentioning this many quarterbacks, your situation is not good, and that's made even worse by the evaluation that PFF has on Hackenberg—the QB of the future for this team. He was the lowest-graded FBS QB in the nation in 2014, and consistently poor in each of his other two college seasons. Geno Smith has at least flashed the ability to have strong games, but has never put together an extended run of play.

Do you really think the Jets' quarterback situation is this bad? Or are you OK with Smith getting another chance to start in 2016? Sound off in the comments. Oh, and PFF isn't the first media outlet to knock the Jets' current quarterback situation. Rotoworld also placed the Jets dead last in its rankings of quarterback situations, back in late May.And USA Today ranked the Jets 29th in its league-wide pecking order of head coach/quarterback combinations. For what it's worth, etc., etc. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/jets_have_nfls_worst_quarterback_situation_says_pr.html

Telling you now, the Fitz deal is dependant on a Mo deal first.  That's the under-story that's not been leaked/mentioned.

It's the only way this all makes actual sense, because Fitz (IMO) is just not stupid enough to reject 12/6(12)/6 outright a year after making 3.

And as many have said, the 2016 cap situation doe snot support Fitz at 12....unless Mo is signed and his cap hit decreases in 2016.

Notice the entire offseason, all the yammering about Fitz, almost none about Mo.  But Mo is the key here IMO.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Telling you now, the Fitz deal is dependant on a Mo deal first.  That's the under-story that's not been leaked/mentioned.

It's the only way this all makes actual sense, because Fitz (IMO) is just not stupid enough to reject 12/6(12)/6 outright a year after making 3.

And as many have said, the 2016 cap situation doe snot support Fitz at 12....unless Mo is signed and his cap hit decreases in 2016.

Notice the entire offseason, all the yammering about Fitz, almost none about Mo.  But Mo is the key here IMO.

Yup, behind closed doors of a NFL General Manager 101 ;)

Not signing Lee seems to be related to these other contracts. I guess the Jets cap manipulation with restructures and potential cuts won't be announced and go on the books until these deals are settled. And if Mo's deal is back loaded it could take money off the books for 2016 . 

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yup, I've said this several times over the months... totally agree.

Day before camp option #1:

1. Mo signed to long term deal
2. Fitz signed to three year deal.
3. Lee signed to rookie deal.

Everyone in camp, on-time.

Day before camp option #2:

1. Mo sign and traded for future draft picks.
2. Fitz resigned to three eyar deal.

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Day before camp option #1:

1. Mo signed to long term deal
2. Fitz signed to three year deal.

Everyone in camp, on-time.

Day before camp option #2:

1. Mo sign and traded for future draft picks.
2. Fitz resigned to three eyar deal.

Option 3:

Lee Signs his contract

Mo holds out

Fitz announces his retirement .

Anyone catch the Fantasy show on NFL Network tonight?  They were discussing Marshall (ranked #21) and they seemed pretty sure Geno was gonna be the QB.

Even said something like, "Looks like Fitz isn't going to be back."

Now maybe I'm just trying to keep my expectations low for this season, expecting Fitz to be back.  Like a self defense thing against the big letdown when it's announced Fitz is signed.  Then if Geno actually does start and we don't waste the money on Fitz... get really psyched for a playoff run.

Though still gotta figure it's at least 60/40 in favor of Fitz coming back right?

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Anyone catch the Fantasy show on NFL Network tonight?  They were discussing Marshall (ranked #21) and they seemed pretty sure Geno was gonna be the QB.

Even said something like, "Looks like Fitz isn't going to be back."

Now maybe I'm just trying to keep my expectations low for this season, expecting Fitz to be back.  Like a self defense thing against the big letdown when it's announced Fitz is signed.  Then if Geno actually does start and we don't waste the money on Fitz... get really psyched for a playoff run.

Though still gotta figure it's at least 60/40 in favor of Fitz coming back right?

Fitz is probably coming back, no doubt but a playoff run is unlikely either way IMO. the jets have talent but haven't established a strong identity yet and need some young players to start breaking out if they plan on being competitive in the near future

10 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Fitz is probably coming back, no doubt but a playoff run is unlikely either way IMO. the jets have talent but haven't established a strong identity yet and need some young players to start breaking out if they plan on being competitive in the near future

See now I think you're keeping your expectations low as well.  I'm mean we did pretty well last season in the first year with Bowles and Gailey.  With Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB no less.  

Pryor, Mauldin, Williams and Quincy are all young guys who played great last year and will take a big step forward.

Clady, if he stays healthy, will be an upgrade on the line.

Forte can still easily add 1200+ yards.  Powell looking better than ever... 

I can keep going, but you get the point.  I don't see a weakness on this team other than youth at QB if it's Geno, or just not much ability if Fitz.

With Geno, this offense will be explosive and the D will be top 5.

To me that equates to a playoff run.  Could be offseason hype... but whatever, I'm drinking the green Koolaid.

Just now, Mike135 said:

See now I think you're keeping your expectations low as well.  I'm mean we did pretty well last season in the first year with Bowles and Gailey.  With Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB no less.  

Pryor, Mauldin, Williams and Quincy are all young guys who played great last year and will take a big step forward.

Clady, if he stays healthy, will be an upgrade on the line.

Forte and still easily add 1200+ yards.  Powell looking better than ever... 

I can keep going, but you get the point.  I don't see a weakness on this team other than youth at QB if it's Geno, or just not much ability if Fitz.

With Geno, this offense will be explosive and the D will be top 5.

To me that equates to a playoff run.  Could be offseason hype... but whatever, I'm drinking the green Koolaid.

I agree that the jets have a decent balanced roster so my expectations aren't too low, but the defense still has to take that next step into the elite category with some young talent. Hopefully williams/milliner and lee can solidify things there but they are going to have their hands full this season. it sucks the jets don't get to face NE in the first 4 weeks, that gives buffalo a huge advantage in the division

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

I agree that the jets have a decent balanced roster so my expectations aren't too low, but the defense still has to take that next step into the elite category with some young talent. Hopefully williams/milliner and lee can solidify things there but they are going to have their hands full this season. it sucks the jets don't get to face NE in the first 4 weeks, that gives buffalo a huge advantage in the division

Good post bro' ?

Archived