Jump to content

Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED


kelly
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im hoping Geno gives us more and turns out to be the franchise QB we all want and deserve i dont want to go through another off season with QB issues especially with the likes of Glennon being discussed daily here. 

JW... If Geno has a good year, are you ready to offer Osweiller $ to him off this 1 good yr?

If nothing else, Glennon would give us leverage in signing Geno. 

Can't believe those words just came out of my mouth!?

Image result for shut up GIF

Hope that Hack turns out to be what we've been looking for all these yrs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

JW... If Geno has a good year, are you ready to offer Osweiller $ to him off this 1 good yr?

If nothing else, Glennon would give us leverage in signing Geno. 

Can't believe those words just came out of my mouth!?

Image result for shut up GIF

Hope that Hack turns out to be what we've been looking for all these yrs.

So if Geno gives a us a decent year we toss him to the curb and and sign Glennon who has never done anything in the NFL am I following your logic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So if Geno gives a us a decent year we toss him to the curb and and sign Glennon who has never done anything in the NFL am I following your logic. 

Did you read this part of my post?

"If nothing else, Glennon would give us leverage in signing Geno.

It all will depend on the yr. Geno has....

If Geno continues to disappoint and Hack is not ready by '17 what are our options?

Glennon is a capable QB option.

What's your logic of dismissing Glennon as an option?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The news about Mo Wilkerson landing his long-term extension was an unexpected and pleasant surprise, to him and to his teammates and Jets fans. It was as if general manager Mike Maccagnan sneaked into the Woody Johnson Independence Bank with his secret key and unloaded a Brink’s truck in Wilkerson’s driveway, piled high this way: five years, $86 million, $37 million in the first two years and $54 million in the first three.

This was the right move — a move better late, on deadline late, than never — for the Jets’ best young defensive player, a model citizen Jersey Guy whonever understood why he was being treated unjustlyin a market in which Fletcher Cox recently secured a six-year, $103 million extension with $63 million guaranteed and Von Miller on Friday sacked a six-year, $114.5 million extension with $70 million guaranteed by March 2018.

Mo place like home after all.

It sends the right message to a fan base that mourned the trading of Darrelle Revis to the Bucs once, and will be well received in the locker room now that the Jets have taken care of their own.

The Wilkerson deal “was huge for our locker room,” Brandon Marshall wrote on Twitter.

Mo place like home after all.

It sends the right message to a fan base that mourned the trading of Darrelle Revis to the Bucs once, and will be well received in the locker room now that the Jets have taken care of their own.

The Wilkerson deal “was huge for our locker room,” Brandon Marshall wrote on Twitter.

Betting on Wilkerson was always a safer bet than betting on Sheldon Richardson, who escaped with only a one-game suspension for his arrest following his Mario Andretti escapade in July 2015. If Richardson has straightened his life out, and so far so good, there could be Mo money coming for him in 2017, and Todd Bowles can chase Tom Brady into his 40s with Wilkerson, Richardson and Leonard Williams. Or the Jets could choose to trade Richardson.Getting his starting quarterback back to avoid a major training camp distraction that could poison or divide the locker room is Maccagnan’s last order of business.

He needs to be Magic Mike one more time.

‪NFL salary cap expert ‬Joel Corry suggests Wilkerson’s 2016 cap relief deal could free up cap room for a one-year deal with Ryan Fitzpatrick because the Jets had $3.425 million of space before the deal.

Offer Fitzpatrick one year for $12 million and the opportunity to bet on himself.

That part of the Jets’ three-year, $24 million offer was always a no-brainer for Fitzpatrick to sign if only because he has no other suitors.The Wilkerson deal provides hope Maccagnan now will seek a conciliatory compromise and effectively kill two birds with one financial stone.Wilkerson can replicate his 2015 Pro Bowl season with another 12 sacks and help Bowles keep the games close, but it is the play of the quarterback that will make the difference between whether the Jets break their five-year playoff drought or not.

And the quarterback who gives the Jets the best chance to reach the playoffs is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

No one is under any illusions Fitzpatrick has another career year in his 34-year-old journeyman right arm, but he shouldn’t be punished just because he threw away that elusive playoff berth in Buffalo in the regular-season finale.Fitzpatrick, for the umpteenth time, is the leader of the offense, if not the Win Now team.He earned the undying trust of his teammates at a time when Geno Smith was recovering from The Battle of Broken Jaw.Kudos to Magic Mike for rewarding Wilkerson.

No excuses, now get Fitz done.

>       http://nypost.com/2016/07/15/why-jets-wilkerson-move-can-solve-ryan-fitzpatrick-standoff/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Did you read this part of my post?

"If nothing else, Glennon would give us leverage in signing Geno.

It all will depend on the yr. Geno has....

If Geno continues to disappoint and Hack is not ready by '17 what are our options?

Glennon is a capable QB option.

What's your logic of dismissing Glennon as an option?

How do you consider Glennon a viable option when he hasnt proven anything in the NFL 

No harm no foul Villian I  know you are a big supporter of Gennon 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

5-7 win football teams do not compete for Division titles.

We were 10-6 with no asterisks on that record. Only a couple of supposed Jets fans and you predict the worst for us. Of course all NEP fans root for chaos on the Jets. I don't know what is going to happen this season but I believe we can compete. You do not take a step backwards or give failed players an extra try out just because their price tag is cheaper. That's giving up on the season. You go with your best team esp at Qb. We had a great locker room last year but I'm not so sure about that now. Guys who thought we could improve on that record. The Jets players do not think we're going to lose this coming season and they are not afraid of the schedule. The only way to winning is beating the better teams so bring it on. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Mo is signed (amazing job by Macc, regarding the numbers and the structure). Contract was right in line of where it should have been compared to players like Watt & Von Miller.

How in the world would Fitz who has been very clear that he doesn't want to retire not want to be driving this train to redeem himself after that letdown in Buffalo?

Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Smith, Amaro, Forte, Powell, Robinson. 

His defense is going to be top 5! The offensive coordinator is his friend & mentor who he has had the most success in his career with. He has the backing of the head coach. His had an incredible repoir with his teammates. 

I will be absolutely shocked if he's not under center when camp starts. And I'm someone who believes the entire Geno Smith career hasn't been told yet, but I also enjoyed watching a QB under center last year that could run an offense, use cadence to help his Oline, change plays, move players to correct positions to stop blitzes, and to truly be a GAME MANAGER. 

I believe that if the Jets can get off to a fast start, the schedule gets easier & the 2 games vs the Pats in the 2nd half of the season will be the biggest games played in the division since 2010. Those 2 games could be the changing of the guard in the AFC East for the Jets to finally win the AFC East. I don't believe the Pats will go 3-1 like most pundents say without Brady. I see 1-3 at best facing Arizona, Buffalo, Miami & Houston. Bills, Fins & Texans would have played them tough WITH Brady, there is no way in my mind that Jimmy G will convert anywhere near the 3rd downs that Brady does. That alone will keep that average Pats defense on the field much longer than they are used to. More plays for defenses causes wear & more injuries. The NY Jets will be the SURPRISE team in 2016. You gotta believe!

 

HARRRUMPH!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Jets and fans think that Fitzpatrick is the best Qb on the team and can efficiently run the offense. Then just look what they are doing. They had a great situation in the locker room last year and the players got along and great rapport with the starting Qb  And our best run offense in years.. It's not that easy to get to that place. Esp with receivers who are often prima donnas (you know like, "give me the damn ball"). Now they have uncertainty and a Qb controversy which teams: they don't want to go there. Instead of stability there is instability. Also if they do sign Fitz after 6 months or more are they getting back a Qb in a good state of mind. Are there hard feelings. That's why most teams do not fight with  a Qb like this over money. They maybe even overpay a little rather than try to squeeze the guy. It's not worth it. If the guy does come back you want him at the top of his game and in a good state of mind not unhappy with the FO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I'm pissed at Fitz. He had a great season, even with his noodle arm. 20% completion over 20 yds. Would Geno have done better last year? Will never know. I know we all got this throw up taste in our mouth from Geno's previous play. Is it the same old JETS? Nope. Is it the same old Geno? Nope. Geno's got the eye of the Tiger. Lol.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If the Jets and fans think that Fitzpatrick is the best Qb on the team and can efficiently run the offense. Then just look what they are doing. They had a great situation in the locker room last year and the players got along and great rapport with the starting Qb  And our best run offense in years.. It's not that easy to get to that place. Esp with receivers who are often prima donnas (you know like, "give me the damn ball). Now they have uncertainty and a Qb controversy which teams: they don't want to go there. Instead of stability there is instability. Also if they do sign Fitz after 6 months or more are they getting back a Qb in a good state of mind. Are there hard feelings. That's why most teams do not fight with  a Qb like this over money. They maybe even overpay a little rather than try to squeeze the guy. It's not worth it. If the guy does come back you want him at the top of his game and in a good state of mind not unhappy with the FO. 

Lol fitzranger how could Fitzpatrick not come back to this perfect situation for him and not be in a good start of mind ? Knowing his alternative is to retire or ride the bench somewhere.. He will be in a good state of mind, I doubt he has been.. But if he is about to sign the contract with a grumpy face and if mac is thinking what you are hinting, I'd rip it up in front of him before he signs the deal.. No we don't want a ungrateful qb dragging his tail all yr because he didn't get his way in negotiations ..

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We were 10-6 with no asterisks on that record. Only a couple of supposed Jets fans and you predict the worst for us. Of course all NEP fans root for chaos on the Jets. I don't know what is going to happen this season but I believe we can compete. You do not take a step backwards or give failed players an extra try out just because their price tag is cheaper. That's giving up on the season. You go with your best team esp at Qb. We had a great locker room last year but I'm not so sure about that now. Guys who thought we could improve on that record. The Jets players do not think we're going to lose this coming season and they are not afraid of the schedule. The only way to winning is beating the better teams so bring it on. 

The locker room just got a huge boost with the signing of Mo Wilkerson last week. This team is ready. More speed at LB. Last year  Buffalo used that weakness in both games. We could not stop the run in the first game and we could not stop the underneath pass in the second game. 

Better ST play.

The O may have a question mark at QB. Fitz is a question mark too. Go with the younger option at this point in time. Geno brings the threat of the deep pass. The Jets will need that this season against those defenses that they will face.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The New York Jets avoided a potential major pitfall by ironing out a long-term contract with star defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson just before Friday's deadline expired. But another massive showdown looms, and the tandem of coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan still face the biggest challenge of their young tenures in the next week.Veterans report for training camp on July 27, and the simmering contract stalemate between the organization and presumptive starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick rages on, with no resolution in sight. While plenty of time remains for negotiation, and, in most situations of this magnitude, nothing really gets done until just before it has to, the lack of anything approximating progress between the veteran free agent and the Jets does not exactly conjure thoughts of a swift and clean culmination to this long and frustrating impasse.

The Jets face some absolutely critical decisions, sooner rather than later. How Bowles and Maccagnan navigate the next 10 days could go a long way to defining how their regime is judged in the short term, if not the long term, as they prepare for their second season at the helm.So, with that in mind, here's a little advice: Don't let this quagmire drag into camp. Don't let it seep into August and possibly poison September and maybe October and November. Don't make your players show up, en masse, for the first time this summer and be faced with a litany of probing questions from a large and hungry media corps all surrounding the absence of the quarterback who played perhaps his best football ever for New York in 2015. At some point you have to turn the page, even at a position as vital as quarterback. At some point you've got to turn the entire focus to the players gathered at the team headquarters, not the team leader who is still staying away.

At some point, you have to draw a final line in the sand and tell Fitzpatrick and his agent, Jimmy Sexton, to take it or leave it. At some point, if this continues to drag on, you have to inform Fitzpatrick's camp that the long-standing offer on the table -- worth over $10M in 2016 and roughly $24M over the next three years with very limited guarantees beyond this season -- is no longer on the table.

Eventually, you have to move on. Nothing lasts forever.And for me, that date would come a week from now. Next Monday. Take it or leave it.

I'd call Sexton today, tell him I don't need much of his time, because there isn't much to discuss at this point, and let him know that this situation won't be bleeding into the preseason. Because the offer is only an offer until next Monday.Then I'm moving on, with or without Fitzpatrick. We won't be pining for what we don't have when 90 guys assemble in New Jersey for Bowles' first team-wide address of the training camp, because if Fitzpatrick isn't under contract a day before vets arrive, then he isn't going to be playing football for my team this season.

This has gone on too long already. Enough is enough.

Some might say it's spiting your nose to cut off your face -- particularly with Geno Smith and Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg as the only other quarterback options on the team right now. But let's not go overboard about Fitzpatrick, 33, who has posted the modest statistics of 60 percent completions, 6.7 yards per attempt, and 154 touchdowns and 116 picks in 113 career games and a quarterback rating of 80.8.He's a solid system quarterback when paired with Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and he far surpassed any realistic expectations last season. But Gailey is a guy who has long done more with less and who has turned in splendid work transforming projects like Kordell Stewart. Gailey is just the type of maestro you would want working with the types of young quarterbacks the Jets have amassed, all of whom have their warts and need molding.And let's not pretend that anyone, even the most ardent Fitzpatrick guy, sees him as the long-term solution to the Jets' quarterback conundrum. And let's not pretend there is any real upside there. And let's not pretend that this isn't the quintessential journeyman who has already been discarded by a quarter of the league at one time or another, and who now might be on the verge of it happening again. And let's not pretend that there is any semblance of a market for Fitzpatrick outside of the Jets, because there hasn't been.

One thing I am very certain of is the Jets won't compete against themselves for Fitzpatrick's services. They're not going to start bidding up a soft market now. And there is not another NFL team willing to pay Fitzpatrick anything close to starting money. In fact, through the entire process, it appears there hasn't been a team willing to put anything of note at all on the table for him, besides the Jets.It's not like Fitzpatrick is weighing this proposal against one or two others of a similar value. He's weighing it against cutting off his own nose to spite his face and continue to sit out, walking away from millions, while waiting for a team to suffer an injury to a quarterback and sign him.

Problem is, even under that scenario, he's maybe going to fetch a one-year, $4M deal with incentives. And he's in all likelihood going to have to quickly learn a new offense and new huddle and new surroundings and do it all on the fly. And Gailey won't be there. Brandon Marshall won't be there. Eric Decker won't be there. Not to mention, the story of his career is that outside of that scenario he tends to turn the ball over at a troubling rate. And if he in fact reverts to that form and plays the kind of football he's played through much of his career, he won't be getting much money ever again.Now, if he takes the Jets deal, and it really does end up being a one-year deal, and he plays decent football but they want to move on with a kid quarterback in 2017, well, Fitzpatrick should be better positioned to get one last nice bite at the apple. In that case, other teams won't be staying away at least in part because everyone assumes he's going to sign with the Jets in the end, anyway, because, well, the Jets will have already released him. If Fitzpatrick plays well again in 2016, and then feels like $8M or so for 2017 is beneath him, he can always hold out and stay away next year and trigger a similar process all over again, but he would do so under that scenario with more leverage.

As much as has been made about how desperate the Jets should be for Fitzpatrick, and rightfully so, the same applies to the quarterback. I'd argue, even more so on his part. Is there a means to bridge the gap via incentives and bonuses, particularly should Fitzpatrick manage to throw 30-plus touchdowns again in 2016? I'd hope that both sides were grounded enough to go that route. All hope shouldn't be lost.But there also needs to be real closure, and soon. Letting this carry into the exhibition games and hover over the first cuts and continue to overshadow anything being accomplished on the field or in the meeting rooms is counterproductive. Particularly in this media market and this city, and for a franchise where chaos and volatile behavior were so prominent under New York's prior regime, there needs to be a very real end to this saga, one way or the other, prior to the start of camp. Especially when stand-offs like this were the kind of thing Bowles and Maccagnan were trying to eradicate as they sought to change the warped culture of the Jets, all the more reason to give Fitzpatrick a take-it-or-leave-it ultimatum.

Color me a skeptic that any of the Jets other quarterbacks are ready to come close to what Fitzpatrick did a year ago, but the odds of one truly breaking out only decrease if the specter of ongoing negotiations with the veteran continue into camp. Having that hanging over their shoulders doesn't empower them at all, and it continues to undermine them in a locker room that they already must try to win over. Smith in particular made strides through the offseason, I'm told, benefitting from the extra reps through Fitzpatrick's absence, but he's been fragile since the Jets curtailed his draft freefall and will need all the support possible if he is going to make real strides.You can't have a young quarterback room looking over its shoulder at a ghost who may or may not be coming back. You can't have veteran receivers pining for a veteran passer who may or may not be coming back. You can't be divvying up preseason reps with a veteran passer who may or may not be coming back in the back of your mind. Not when that veteran presence is Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom the Texans were willing to dump for any late-round pick just over a year ago. Let's not lose perspective on who we're talking about here. This isn't Tom Brady or Drew Brees.

If Fitzpatrick wants to walk away from $12M odd in guarantees and stay home and potentially sit out the season, at this stage of his career, so be it. He certainly has that right. But the Jets also have every right to not let one contract situation trump everything else going on with them, and they have every right not to allow a festering negotiation obscure their entire training camp. He shouldn't be angry and frustrated with the Jets, it's the market that's been speaking -- one might say screaming -- and the Jets have had no team come close to pushing them since the moment Fitzpatrick hit the open market.

In the end, both of these sides need each other, maybe even more than they know. In the end, common sense would tell us they kiss and make up sooner rather than later. Common sense doesn't always prevail in this league, however, and you can call it stubborn or shortsighted or whatever you like, but I'd give Fitzpatrick one more week to weigh his options, and then I'm moving on, with or without him.

> http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/its-time-for-the-jets-to-tell-ryan-fitzpatrick-to-take-it-or-leave-it/

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fitz is 100% going to be signed in the next few weeks.  He'll come back, be handed the starting job with no questions asked.  The Jets will go on to be an 8-8 team, losing meaningful playoff implication type games in Nov and Dec.  The Patriots will once again, win the division and compete in the Super Bowl.  The offseason talk around JetNation will be, who should start in 2017; Fitz or Hack or Petty?  It will sound something like; Hack isnt ready and sucked at PSU.  Petty sucks because he couldnt even beat out Geno Smith (who goes on to lead the Browns to the playoffs for the first time in forever making @HessStation the happiest Browns fan in the world).  It will be debated till no end that Fitz has to be the starter once again because he brings a veteran presence, knows the offense, is the best available option at QB, hey! look at what he did in 2015 and worst case scenario he mentors the youngsters.  The Jets will inevitably draft the BAP at DL with the 16th overall pick, missing out on the Watson sweepstakes because they ****ed themselves out of draft position and dont have the trade capital to move up and select him.  That will lead to letting Sheldon Richardson go in FA getting nothing in return and watching him eventually win DPOY in New England and win a SB.  Fitz will start again in 2017, the Jets will go 7-9.  Bowles and Mac will be fired at the end of the season for not making the playoffs with a hand picked veteran QB on a loaded team for 3 straight seasons.  Meanwhile, the Patriots make it to their 27th straight AFC Championship game that involves a blatant cheating scandal that the league sweeps under the rug.  The Jets will outsource their new GM/HC search to Heidrich and Struggles International Inc. (heavy competitors to Korn and Ferry).  They'll hire the next up and coming Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio and some up and coming exec from the "scouting" side of the house out of Seattle to play GM.  The fan base will be sold on a "rebuilding process" to which the Jets finish 2018 at 4-12.  The Jets will go onto draft Heisman trophy winner, Jacob Eason with the 2nd overall pick who goes on to have a Ryan Leaf like career/life.

So, needless to say, I'm excited!  Go Jets! 

 

 

 

 

Great post. 

Rinse and repeat.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fitz is 100% going to be signed in the next few weeks.  He'll come back, be handed the starting job with no questions asked.  The Jets will go on to be an 8-8 team, losing meaningful playoff implication type games in Nov and Dec.  The Patriots will once again, win the division and compete in the Super Bowl.  The offseason talk around JetNation will be, who should start in 2017; Fitz or Hack or Petty?  It will sound something like; Hack isnt ready and sucked at PSU.  Petty sucks because he couldnt even beat out Geno Smith (who goes on to lead the Browns to the playoffs for the first time in forever making @HessStation the happiest Browns fan in the world).  It will be debated till no end that Fitz has to be the starter once again because he brings a veteran presence, knows the offense, is the best available option at QB, hey! look at what he did in 2015 and worst case scenario he mentors the youngsters.  The Jets will inevitably draft the BAP at DL with the 16th overall pick, missing out on the Watson sweepstakes because they ****ed themselves out of draft position and dont have the trade capital to move up and select him.  That will lead to letting Sheldon Richardson go in FA getting nothing in return and watching him eventually win DPOY in New England and win a SB.  Fitz will start again in 2017, the Jets will go 7-9.  Bowles and Mac will be fired at the end of the season for not making the playoffs with a hand picked veteran QB on a loaded team for 3 straight seasons.  Meanwhile, the Patriots make it to their 27th straight AFC Championship game that involves a blatant cheating scandal that the league sweeps under the rug.  The Jets will outsource their new GM/HC search to Heidrich and Struggles International Inc. (heavy competitors to Korn and Ferry).  They'll hire the next up and coming Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio and some up and coming exec from the "scouting" side of the house out of Seattle to play GM.  The fan base will be sold on a "rebuilding process" to which the Jets finish 2018 at 4-12.  The Jets will go onto draft Heisman trophy winner, Jacob Eason with the 2nd overall pick who goes on to have a Ryan Leaf like career/life.

So, needless to say, I'm excited!  Go Jets! 

 

 

 

 

To anyone who is wondering certainly worth the time to read it.  Haunting and poignant.  A must read for the Jets faithful.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

FUKK FITZ.   This is like a prom date who disses you for weeks and on the day of the prom realizes her date wont show and then you still think you can take her.

Only an insecure, weak man would take her back. Thats a lot of JETS fans I suppose.

At this point , I dont care what FITZ does.  Ill come out and state it...I hope he doesnt come back.

He has NEVER, not once, seen a playoff game with a better view than me.  Why would any reasonable fan think he is a difference maker?

He has clearly shown the only difference he will make is you are certain to again MISS THE PLAYOFFS.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A lot of Vets hate training camp Favre did most of all.. It's true Fitz hasn't seen a playoff game but I'm sure some others hadn't until later in their careers as well..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

A lot of Vets hate training camp Favre did most of all.. It's true Fitz hasn't seen a playoff game but I'm sure some others hadn't until later in their careers as well..

Gannon sticks out.  Had a nice twilight of his career.  Yet, personally don't Fitz think has it.  I truly feel last year was his year to do something. But hey you never know.  When I was a kid Bruce Jenner was an Olympiad and nice old Italian woman thought it was a sign of love to feed the little fat kid.  Now kids can't even bring cookies to school cause peanuts kill people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...