Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fitz just wants to be wined/Dined for a couple of weeks and feel like the Princess at the ball.

Then he'll come back to Mac and take the 2/$20m deal....as it should be.

Yup. "Hit the market" does not mean "hit the street." Sometimes players and teams both use the market to determine value and then make a deal around those lines. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob said:

The Jets just can't help stepping on their dicks. Anybody who thinks Geno F'ing Smith is an NFL quarterback needs to put down the crackpipe and step away.

Can't believe I'm going back into last off-season's arguments, but seems like only option...

2 years ago: absolute $hit team.  Defense was weak and the WRs were a joke.  Decker was hurt most of the year.  Yet the team goes 8-8.

Last year:  About as easy a schedule as possible.  A much improved defense.  Smarter coaching and offensive scheme.  Possibly the best 1/2 combo at WR in the league in Marshall/Decker.  And we get 10 wins with Fitz.

How does someone look at that and say we NEED Fitz or that he's even better than Geno?

I was happy with Fitz last year, but paying him over 8mil a year is just a waste.

Draft another prospect, continue to develop Petty and roll with Geno.  Use the savings on Oline, RB, LB.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

You know you're a Jets fan when the potential of not signing Ryan Fitzpatrick feels like the end of the world. 

It would be nice to have him. I don't think this is something to wring our hands over though... 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

We all thought Geno getting punched in the face was the best thing to happen for the Jets, but, instead of finally seeing what we had with better players around Geno, we got Fitz teasing us all season until the final meltdown in Buffalo. So, we still didn't make the playoffs, Fitz throws 31 TDs, sh*tty QBs are getting paid like top 5 QBs, and here we are back to the same f*cking place we were last year except with have even fewer dollars to throw around. We're always getting screwed no matter what the scenario,lol.

And watch the same thing happen with Geno.

Dude throws for 35 TD's with 15 picks and rushes for 500 yds. and another 5 TD's and Then becomes a FA

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Trying to get paid as much as he can. Yeah what an unreasonable guy. Hey come work for me, I'll pay you half what you make now but we got a great supporting cast here. 

Well, that's fine. He can try all he wants, but the Jets I am very happy to say are not going to pay his unreasonable asking price. Fitz, it was nice having you. I wish you all the luck in the world. Time to move on to Bryce Petty.

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

Dude throws for 35 TD's with 15 picks and rushes for 500 yds. and another 5 TD's and Then becomes a FA

lol, when did Geno become Cam ******* Newton?

If I'm going to overpay for a QB that has questions marks, I'm signing Brock Osweiler to a few extra million a year. At least with Brock there is an outside chance he is a franchise QB. I LOVE Fitz, but he is older and has limited upside. 

Going into next season with Brock/Geno/Petty/Rookie is a high risk/high reward situation while Fitz gives you low risk, but also low reward. 

29 minutes ago, jgb said:

I can say, with 100% confidence, that Geno Smith will not have a good year. Not next year, not ever, not in the CFL, not in flag football, not in Madden Franchise Mode. 

Tank talk in March. #GoJetsFans

Never tank for a draft pick. Every Jets W counts in the books and is a big deal. And it doesn't work, anyways. Would you tank a few games to end up with Sam Bradford. Not worth it. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Can't believe I'm going back into last off-season's arguments, but seems like only option...

2 years ago: absolute $hit team.  Defense was weak and the WRs were a joke.  Decker was hurt most of the year.  Yet the team goes 8-8.

Last year:  About as easy a schedule as possible.  A much improved defense.  Smarter coaching and offensive scheme.  Possibly the best 1/2 combo at WR in the league in Marshall/Decker.  And we get 10 wins with Fitz.

How does someone look at that and say we NEED Fitz or that he's even better than Geno?

I was happy with Fitz last year, but paying him over 8mil a year is just a waste.

Draft another prospect, continue to develop Petty and roll with Geno.  Use the savings on Oline, RB, LB.

There should not be a "just roll with..." scenario.  Whoever it is, they need to earn it through competition.  That includes Fitz coming back.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So redo a contract now.  Extend him a couple years for cheap while he's a bargain.  At worst, he's a good backup and one thing that is certain at QB for the Jets is that we won't have to drop 20mil on a qb anytime soon.

Sure, it's too much money on the cap for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Of course it is. But think about the level of quarterback play you've had to suffer through every Sunday for the six years prior to 2015. That's what you're in for on Sundays if we head into the season with Geno/Petty/Rookie. Really, that's it. Unless there's some other sort of trade in the works, that's what it's going to be.

Think about that. Really think about that. 3 hours of your life every week, dedicated to having to force yourself to sit through that. Again. And again. And again. And again. If you're cool with sitting through an entire season of that, you are a certified lunatic.

Just now, Mike135 said:

So redo a contract now.  Extend him a couple years for cheap while he's a bargain.  At worst, he's a good backup and one thing that is certain at QB for the Jets is that we won't have to drop 20mil on a qb anytime soon.

We really dont know what we have in Geno Smith he had the worst OC in the league and the worst WRs in the league along with the worst head coach. 

4 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, that's fine. He can try all he wants, but the Jets I am very happy to say are not going to pay his unreasonable asking price. Fitz, it was nice having you. I wish you all the luck in the world. Time to move on to Bryce Petty.

To flip it, if I'm Fitz, I say I'm not happy you didn't extend me before the season ended. So I'm going to see what the market will bear. Once we know that, let's chat again. 

And the Jets will not say "You hurt our feelings! Don't bother!" They will say "We understand, let's sit down again in a few weeks." Then shake hands and go home for the day.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

#DumbIdeaMonday

if you told me last off season that the Jets would have an issue trying to resign Ryan Fitzpatrick I would have laugh you off the board .  A bidding war for a QB who has never led any team to the Playoffs .

America, what a country .

Just now, Tinstar said:

if you told me last off season that the Jets would have an issue trying to resign Ryan Fitzpatrick I would have laugh you off the board .  A bidding war for a QB who has never led any team to the Playoffs .

America, what a country .

supply and demand, what a concept.

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

There should not be a "just roll with..." scenario.  Whoever it is, they need to earn it through competition.  That includes Fitz coming back.

Of course Geno (or anyone else) would have to earn it.  But I'm not paying some qb 8+mil who can get beat out by younger/cheaper guys on the roster.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We really dont know what we have in Geno Smith he had the worst OC in the league and the worst WRs in the league along with the worst head coach. 

In another thread, you just suggested Kaep is better than Geno, because Kaep had a horrible HC situation, which implies that Geno didn't.

Here, you say the opposite.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Last year was a complete and utter waste.  Career year, best offense we've seen in decades, easiest schedule in the league, controlled their own destiny and choked in as beautiful of a Jets fashion imaginable.  Now dont get me wrong, it was enjoyable and I loved rooting for Fitz and his passion but it was all for nothing.

Which brings me back to the preseason arguments I had with 80, what's better?  Going 8-8 or 10-6 and missing the playoffs with Fitz or going 4-12 with Geno and finally either closing that chapter or finding that he can play and record reflected it?  My position was roll with Geno.  Now obviously, he made his own bed but in hindsight, 100% would have preferred that scenario because like predicted, here we are once again talking about Geno ******* Smith.

Jets baby!!!

Only if you think they would have won the Super Bowl. BTW that means that Pats fans think last year was a waste too. 

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

rather see them spend the money on younger players if Fitz wont be reasonable. He did a great job for us last year but he isn't worth mortgaging out future.

Who says the Jets are being the reasonable ones? They are far apart in negotiation, they are going to use FA to peg value. Like when they call in an expert in Pawn Stars. It's like a big green egg hatched and dozens of new Jets fans just came into the world today.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i can understand not wanting to overpay fitz, but there's just nothing we've seen that should make anyone even remotely hopeful that geno pans out.  

These are the kinds of situations that franchises find themselves in - who don't have a plan for the future. Better clubs make moves to not be in this position...

Thankfully, the tea leaves from Mac and company suggest drafting a QB is a priority. They wanted to last year, and I believe they will this year, costs be damned. Arguing over resigning a .325 record QB and a guy who gets punched in the face in august is not a recipe for success. 

Just now, jgb said:

Who says the Jets are being the reasonable ones? They are far apart in negotiation, they are going to use FA to peg value. Like when they call in an expert in Pawn Stars.

Just saying, if he is the unreasonable one and he has every right to be after his best season of his career that our money would be better spent elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

#DumbIdeaMonday

Ha, didn't think that'd go over well here, but I'd actually consider doing that. If the deal could be worked to average what a top backup would make (maybe 4/5 mil year?).  Then we have a potential starter or decent backup for say 3 years.  More than enough time to earn a new big deal if it ever came to that.

Just now, Paradis said:

These are the kinds of situations that franchises find themselves in - who don't have a plan for the future. Better clubs make moves to not be in this position...

Thankfully, the tea leaves from Mac and company suggest drafting a QB is a priority. They wanted to last year, and I believe the will this year, costs be damned. Arguing over resigning a .325 record QB and a guy who gets punched in the face in august is not a recipe for success. 

Like Patriots extending Dion Lewis during the season when he played well, while mutual affection was at a high and they controlled his rights. Should've extended Fitz in Dec. It was obvious he was going to be best available for 2016. So now Jets will have to wait and maybe pay a bit more. Not end of world but this is why everyone should just listen to me from now on.

11 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Extend Geno Smith? Do you watch football?

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Just saying, if he is the unreasonable one and he has every right to be after his best season of his career that our money would be better spent elsewhere.

You use the world "unreasonable" but then describe very reasonable behavior.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

In another thread, you just suggested Kaep is better than Geno, because Kaep had a horrible HC situation, which implies that Geno didn't.

Here, you say the opposite.

Im a big Geno Smith supporter if you had to choose between the 2 who would you choose. Both were in violatile situations.

Kaep seems to have a slight edge though I'm perfectly fine with giving Geno another shot. 

Risk vs Reward 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

The media is a JOKE! Seriously, you give me a scenario or any team giving Fitz 2 years 36 million,lmao, AINT HAPPENING!

Go Mac! Go Bowles! Go Geno if we have to! Go Jets! Say no to a grossly overpaid stop gap 33 year old QB that couldn't make 1 play we needed to get to the playoffs.

They gave it to Bradford so nothing is impossible 

1 minute ago, jgb said:

You use the world "unreasonable" but then describe very reasonable behavior.

It is reasonable for him to expect to make a lot of money and demand it. It is unreasonable to pay him said money after only one good season behind a very good offense.

Archived