Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

An update and some perspective on the Ryan Fitzpatrick situation:

First of all, relax. Just because he's hitting the open market, it doesn't mean the New York Jets are losing their starting quarterback. Sure, they would've liked to have resolved his contract situation before noon ET, when the "legal tampering" period begins. But they didn't and now Fitzpatrick can begin speaking with other teams. By rule, he can't sign with another team until 4 p.m. Wednesday.Fitzpatrick can now gauge his value around the league, which makes sense from his perspective. He and the Jets are far apart on a new contract, the NFL Network reported, so he'd be crazy to simply accept the Jets' offer without shopping himself.

The Jets have been transparent with their desire to re-sign Fitzpatrick, but general manager Mike Maccagnan acknowledged recently the process could take time and could extend into the free-agency period. Likewise, Fitzpatrick has said he'd like to return, but it's a tricky contract because of his age (33), the team's cap restraints and the likelihood the Jets don't want a long-term commitment.The Los Angeles Rams, Houston Texans, Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos are looking for a starting quarterback. The Rams make the most sense for Fitzpatrick, who began his career with the team in 2005.There's a lot of posturing taking place right now across the league. The best bet is that Fitzpatrick will return to the Jets; it just may take longer than expected.

Meanwhile, the Jets' other top free agents -- Damon Harrison, Chris Ivoryand Bilal Powell -- failed to reach deals with the team, meaning they, too, are free to shop themselves.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58824/no-deal-yet-for-jets-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-who-hits-open-market

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Are you able to rely on substance or just a strawman? Sorry too good of a mood to play footnotes and hyperlinks with ya. If you got a point, make it. If you want a sourced dissertation you'll be disappointed on a fan opinion board.  cheers though :beer:

Wow... scrambling for the exit.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Goodnight gents, the champ is tired. 

And... there it is, I get you uppity, then dbates hits you with the same jab 3 times, and done... 

Like clockwork, very whiny, thin-skinned clockwork.

This could help the jets. If nobody plays footsie with fitzy during the tampering period, mac should be able to close him. 

I don't think teams can make actual specific offers tho. 

This is why idzik got in trouble with agents, he exaggerated his interest level.

Well, that's fine. He can try all he wants, but the Jets I am very happy to say are not going to pay his unreasonable asking price. Fitz, it was nice having you. I wish you all the luck in the world. Time to move on to Bryce Petty.

What is his asking price? I've never seen a credible source say that he is asking for Bradford's deal. I've seen some say that they would ask for the same structure - Bradford's 2/36 is actually 1/22 with a team option for the second year at 14 (which presumably they would renegotiate into a long term deal if successful). They were trying to protect against failure while holding an option in the event that he succeeds, and they paid a vig for holding all the cards.

So maybe Fitz gets his payday and with the Jets paying a little extra to protect themselves somewhat if he reverts, or plays the second year as a backup.

6 minutes ago, isired said:

What is his asking price? I've never seen a credible source say that he is asking for Bradford's deal. I've seen some say that they would ask for the same structure - Bradford's 2/36 is actually 1/22 with a team option for the second year at 14 (which presumably they would renegotiate into a long term deal if successful). They were trying to protect against failure while holding an option in the event that he succeeds, and they paid a vig for holding all the cards.

So maybe Fitz gets his payday and with the Jets paying a little extra to protect themselves somewhat if he reverts, or plays the second year as a backup.

Just being honest, I think if both sides were close this deal would have been done by now. 

Just being honest, I think if both sides were close this deal would have been done by now. 

I would have said the same, but now that we know that Fitz and Bradford share an agent, and were privy to what was happening with that deal all along, it makes sense that we are where we are now.

You just can't overpay for Fitz.  Look at the last game of the year. They needed him to step up and win that, he didn't.

Fitz had a great year. But no way can you give him over 15mm per year. No way.

56 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

So it comes down to this; either the Jets sign Ryan Fitz or this family doesn't spend dollar one on watching the 2016 Jets. If Geno Sh-it somehow manages to be under Mangold's butt taking 1st team snaps in September I will be doing something other than wasting my precious time, energy, money, and emotions watching one more year of no super bowl not to mention or even a playoff appearance from the New York Jets

Until they're 3-0, lol. Fans have to stop with the BS. I said the same thing about overpaying for Fitz but I know if they start winning I'm sucked back in like a supercharged Dyson.

Just now, Maxman said:

You just can't overpay for Fitz.  Look at the last game of the year. They needed him to step up and win that, he didn't.

Fitz had a great year. But no way can you give him over 15mm per year. No way.

What if they give him 15mm per year over 4 years, but it is design to only include 3mm guaranteed this year, and 12mm of it is a signing bonus that gets amortized across the next 2 seasons or something like that... and it's done in such a way where we can walk away after his 2nd year with no real cap hit. My numbers aren't mathematically thought-out, but basically a contract like the one we gave Cromartie... what about then?

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Until they're 3-0, lol. Fans have to stop with the BS. I said the same thing about overpaying for Fitz but I know if they start winning I'm sucked back in like a supercharged Dyson.

Agreed.  I am disgusted at the thought of another Smith-led season.

But I'm stupid, and I'll still watch.  Win or lose.

Sucks, but /shrug

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agreed.  I am disgusted at the thought of another Smith-led season.

But I'm stupid, and I'll still watch.  Win or lose.

Sucks, but /shrug

i doubt bowles or mccags want it either.  let's just hope their approach to fitz's FA has as much to do with petty's development as it does an unwillingness to overpay fitz.  the proverbial ace in the hole.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Another huge plus is that he's never had to play in extended seasons by reaching the playoffs.

Ha, ha, that's correct. QBs that miss the playoffs have no "playoff wear" on their bodies. Regular season & back up QB wear gives you the opportunity to ALMOST make the Playoffs but it's very tough to get over the hump of that LAST MUST WIN GAME so that you might experience "playoff wear", which Fitz has never been a part of and still hasn't. But he's a damn healthy 33 year old.

I feel like

Im. In the twilight zone reading some of these posts. I understand not paying fitz that much. But how the hell am i reading any talks whatsoever about possibly paying geno next year if he lights it up?! Whatever dont pay fitz, but dont tell me were goin into nex season with geno at number 1...thats insanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, jetsfan719 said:

I feel like

Im. In the twilight zone reading some of these posts. I understand not paying fitz that much. But how the hell am i reading any talks whatsoever about possibly paying geno next year if he lights it up?! Whatever dont pay fitz, but dont tell me were goin into nex season with geno at number 1...thats insanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it makes you feel any better, I'm suggesting they pay/extend Geno now.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Love how when I suggested it, this board said "that's stupid to try!!!!!! You don't pay a guy during the season who has one good year!" And now it's "come on man he would've been stupid to sign anything without testing the market!"

Heavy is the crown, my friends.

You are seriously delusional if you believe your own argument.  If his agent would've allowed him to sign with the Jets late last season, it certainly wouldn't be for a cheap contract.  

25 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

What if they give him 15mm per year over 4 years, but it is design to only include 3mm guaranteed this year, and 12mm of it is a signing bonus that gets amortized across the next 2 seasons or something like that... and it's done in such a way where we can walk away after his 2nd year with no real cap hit. My numbers aren't mathematically thought-out, but basically a contract like the one we gave Cromartie... what about then?

Just a hunch but I think he's going to want a minimum of 20 million guaranteed over two years or 12 to 15 million guaranteed for one year with an option on year two.

At this point it seems rather obvious that Fitz is going to test the market and, in all likelihood, toss the best offer he gets back to the Jets and see what they have to say about it.  While he may not be highly regarded, recent years of NFL FA just about guarantees that some hyper team with money to burn is going to be willing to throw a surprising offer in his direction, so at this point I really don't expect the Jets to match once he hits FA.  The only possibility is if he's willing to take a discount in exchange for better odds at a starting gig, but it sounds like they're too far off for that to be likely.

At this point, my bet would be that Geno starts at the beginning of the season, not being quite as awful as we have (reasonably) convinced ourselves that he is, but still being nothing more than decidedly mediocre.  It will hold up for a while with a number of decent performances that give some a little bit of hope, only to be sank by the one or two amazingly bone-headed plays that happen in those games to flush it all down the toilet.  At some point around the 3/4 point of the season, Petty is handed the keys to wrap up the year and see what he's got, not doing enough good or bad to have people completely convinced of his future potential, and ultimately leaving the Jets still wondering what to do at QB come this time next year.

So in other words, repeating decades worth of Jets' history.

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Fitzpatrick should be playing the long game.  Instead of focusing on trying to break the bank in year 1 he should be

looking for a 3 year deal (fully guaranteed) in the 6 million yearly range.  There's no reason Maccagnan would balk at

that:

- We would have our starter for 2016 and then at worst we would have a capable backup in 2017-2018

- Allocating 6 million for your QB is fair and on Fitzpatrick's end he would have the stability of a 3 year deal and a total

of 18 million coming his way

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Fitzpatrick should be playing the long game.  Instead of focusing on trying to break the bank in year 1 he should be

looking for a 3 year deal (fully guaranteed) in the 6 million yearly range.  There's no reason Maccagnan would balk at

that:

- We would have our starter for 2016 and then at worst we would have a capable backup in 2017-2018

- Allocating 6 million for your QB is fair and on Fitzpatrick's end he would have the stability of a 3 year deal and a total

Yea, something like this makes sense.... but "ZOMG 15 MIL PER YEAR HORROR!!!!!" seems to be all that computes with many fans.

Fitzpatrick is a great personality.  Played with a lot of heart last year and had some big plays but he also had Decker and Marshall as well as Powell and Ivory.  He made some big plays but isn't worth a HUGE contract either.  I would much rather throw big money at Brock Osweiler who is still very young and just played behind Peyton Manning and I'm sure learned quite a bit.  Look at how playing behind Brett Favre benefitted Aaron Rodgers.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

This is the ONLY time... Do you wanna come work for me, for 10% less than you're making now? Didn't think so. 

You don't have to like it, but it's the card he's got to play right now. LA, and SF are both possibilities to use Fitz in the same capacity as we would; a band aide while they groom a draftee... I don't like it much either, but thems is the breaks. 

Great point.  The guy is 33 going on 34 and will never be in this situation again.  He wants to parlay last season into his last true payday and truthfully who here can blame him?  I just don't what the Jets to be the suckers who overpay him.  

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Let's say he has a team where he is on the team this year and next. It is my hope that they can get him for less than 2 years 30mm. It is scary to think what he would have had taken last year.

3 years \ 32 million. Structure it so that he can be released in year three.

I like Fitz a lot. But damn the QB market is just insanity.

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Let's say he has a team where he is on the team this year and next. It is my hope that they can get him for less than 2 years 30mm. It is scary to think what he would have had taken last year.

3 years \ 32 million. Structure it so that he can be released in year three.

I like Fitz a lot. But damn the QB market is just insanity.

what gets me though Max are the Jets fans who have no complaint about the team spending big money on Revis just so New England doesn't have him, but want to pinch Woody Johnson's pennies over the best QBing performance in the club's history. How would those same Jets fans feel if they heard that Brady was retiring or (better yet) that he would be suspended for the 2016 season and then it comes out that Belichick wants to sign Fitzpatrick to fill in for the year.  

2 hours ago, KRL said:

that:

36 > 18

4 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

How would those same Jets fans feel if they heard that Brady was retiring or (better yet) that he would be suspended for the 2016 season and then it comes out that Belichick wants to sign Fitzpatrick to fill in for the year.  

Absolutely thrilled.

Archived