Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, KRL said:

Fitzpatrick should be playing the long game.  Instead of focusing on trying to break the bank in year 1 he should be

looking for a 3 year deal (fully guaranteed) in the 6 million yearly range.  There's no reason Maccagnan would balk at

that:

- We would have our starter for 2016 and then at worst we would have a capable backup in 2017-2018

- Allocating 6 million for your QB is fair and on Fitzpatrick's end he would have the stability of a 3 year deal and a total

of 18 million coming his way

I think that's really low balling him ... But hope it works out to be accurate.

def tougher on him & his agent with limited options for him from other teams 

but ballpark of what I've often been hearing floating around.

lowend 2 year deal 8-10 per (maybe 15 guaranteed)

Why take the 18 spread over 3 years when you're basically going to make it over 2 years otherwise ... & get paid again that 3rd year?

(perhaps what I was hearing may not have been legit info)

3 hours ago, isired said:

I would have said the same, but now that we know that Fitz and Bradford share an agent, and were privy to what was happening with that deal all along, it makes sense that we are where we are now.

If a player wants a deal he tells agent to get it done.  It's on the player. 

That said, it's early, not worried that this won't get done at the right price

44 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

what gets me though Max are the Jets fans who have no complaint about the team spending big money on Revis just so New England doesn't have him, but want to pinch Woody Johnson's pennies over the best QBing performance in the club's history. How would those same Jets fans feel if they heard that Brady was retiring or (better yet) that he would be suspended for the 2016 season and then it comes out that Belichick wants to sign Fitzpatrick to fill in for the year.  

I love what Fitz did last year but would dance in the streets if the Pats went from Brady to Fitz.   

Im thinking the Pats would rather start Brady too

34 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

what gets me though Max are the Jets fans who have no complaint about the team spending big money on Revis just so New England doesn't have him, but want to pinch Woody Johnson's pennies over the best QBing performance in the club's history. How would those same Jets fans feel if they heard that Brady was retiring or (better yet) that he would be suspended for the 2016 season and then it comes out that Belichick wants to sign Fitzpatrick to fill in for the year.  

That would be awesome. He'd finally win the division for us and get us in the playoffs. 

I wouldn't compare Revis to a one-season wonder.

6 hours ago, JiF said:

It would be the coolest thing ever to happen to the Jets if Geno turned out to be the real deal. I personally dont think the team would have been much worse with him last season, so I dont think it's out of the question for him to run an effective offense.

Who knows, maybe that year behind Fitz was exactly what he needed. 

this is the Jets we are talking about.   The Jetsiest thing the Jets could do would be Geno starts, lights it up, loses in the playoffs, gets a huge contract in off-season and then reverts to the mean in 2017.    

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

If Fitz wants anything more than $5.7million for one year, he can kiss the collective Jets fans a$$ and Geno Smith is going to show the world that he is better than Fitz anyway!!!

JETSNATION/AMIDOINITRIGHT??

image.jpeg.58c0afc9d922bd25938f617183a8b

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Let's say he has a team where he is on the team this year and next. It is my hope that they can get him for less than 2 years 30mm. It is scary to think what he would have had taken last year.

3 years \ 32 million. Structure it so that he can be released in year three.

I like Fitz a lot. But damn the QB market is just insanity.

You cannot win without one, and for as "average" as Fitz is, he's still stat'ing like a top guy.... meaning the talent available is meager. 

I generally agree though, however the deal is structured, we need to be able to move on from him with minimal cap hit after 2 years.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Love how when I suggested it, this board said "that's stupid to try!!!!!! You don't pay a guy during the season who has one good year!" And now it's "come on man he would've been stupid to sign anything without testing the market!"

Heavy is the crown, my friends.

So tell me - what week were you saying the Jets should sign Fitz?  And how much do you think the Jets could've gotten him for?  I want to see exactly how delusional you are on this topic.

Even if he did say that, he's not a moron, and he's been with his agent a long time, so we can assume that if his agent told him to sit tight, that the market was about to change in his favor, I think he may have taken that advice. He can still sign with the Jets.

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Love how when I suggested it, this board said "that's stupid to try!!!!!! You don't pay a guy during the season who has one good year!" And now it's "come on man he would've been stupid to sign anything without testing the market!"

Heavy is the crown, my friends.

Jets want him to earn it but let's hypothetically assume he would've signed.

He didn't show up for Buffalo WK17. That pretty much defines him and how badly he wanted the playoffs. 

If you feed a Harvard Economics grad his money early, he might lose whatever motivation he had to play hard and win. 

At least now we know what he's worth.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

Jets want him to earn it but let's hypothetically assume he would've signed.

He didn't show up for Buffalo WK17. That pretty much defines him and how badly he wanted the playoffs. 

If you feed a Harvard Economics grad his money early, he might lose whatever motivation he had to play hard and win. 

At least now we know what he's worth.

So since Cam Newton didn't show up for the super bowl, does that define him, and how badly he wanted to win the SB?

11 minutes ago, isired said:
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Even if he did say that, he's not a moron, and he's been with his agent a long time, so we can assume that if his agent told him to sit tight, that the market was about to change in his favor, I think he may have taken that advice. He can still sign with the Jets.

Agreed.  There's plenty of time.  He wants to play here was kind of my point, they'll get it done because I think both sides wants him on the Jets

10 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

So since Cam Newton didn't show up for the super bowl, does that define him, and how badly he wanted to win the SB?

Where have you been? According to many, when he didn't dive for the loose ball it defined him as a quitter and selfish diva.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I can't do another year of Geno. I just can't. I legit think I don't have it in me to go out of my way once a week to make time for watching that awfulness again.

******* Jets man. sh*t.

Welcome to what I saw coming 6 mos ago. 

Embrace it, D...  It's time for Geno to put up or shut up.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Only Jets fans can be depressed for 40 years about not having a QB and then place basically no value on the guy who presided over the best offensive season the Jets ever had. It's crazy talk.

Hey your crew was wrong.. no biggie.

Dust yourself off and keep fighting the good fight.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

You know you're a Jets fan when the potential of not signing Ryan Fitzpatrick feels like the end of the world. 

I hope they stick to their guns..  screw Fitzy and his penchant for the heartbreaking loss.  I wanted to, and hopefully will see what Geno can do with on the varsity squad. 

The worst thing Macc can do is go all in on Fitzpatrick.  If Geno fails it's completely logical to want to give your high 2nd round pick 1 more chance with a real team surrounding him.   Especially when he costs 1/18th of what Fitzy is reportedly seeking.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

I hope they stick to their guns..  screw Fitzy and his penchant for the heartbreaking loss.  I wanted to, and hopefully will see what Geno can do with on the varsity squad. 

The worst thing Macc can do is go all in on Fitzpatrick.  If Geno fails it's completely logical to want to give your high 2nd round pick 1 more chance with a real team surrounding him.   Especially when he costs 1/18th of what Fitzy is reportedly seeking.

You really think Macc is going to go w/ Geno as our main QB next year?  The only way I can see that happening is if we do draft a QB like Goff/Wentz who we want to sit for a year.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

fire cheers toast on fire the simpsons

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'm sure Mac can't wait to see a billboard demanding his firing every day on his way to work.

Just now, Shadetree said:

just sign Fitz please!! 

I can't believe I'll be thinking about a possible Geno-led, 2016 NYJ for the next 48-72 hrs. I'm gonna be nauseous until this gets done.

Oh, you haven't heard? Geno is actually awesome, if he started the whole year we apparently would have won the SB. Damn IK cost us a SB!

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You really think Macc is going to go w/ Geno as our main QB next year?  The only way I can see that happening is if we do draft a QB like Goff/Wentz who we want to sit for a year.

The plan was to go with Geno as our main qb last year.  From all accounts Geno handled his demotion well, learned from Fitz, and was a good teammate.  The only negatives I've heard are from the people on this board who can't even name the WR's Geno had at his disposal 2 years ago. 

Paying Fitzpatrick anything more than 8 mil is a joke..  It was actually a miracle he didn't miss games last year.  Can you imagine paying him 15 mil only to watch him go Bronko Nogurski in the first game and wind up tearing something and missing the season? 

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Geno sitting on the bench this last year puts him behind the top-tier rookie QBs, IMO.  

They actually saw some action, and I'm not convinced Geno saw anything from the sidelines. 

10 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I'm sure Mac can't wait to see a billboard demanding his firing every day on his way to work.

Just because 5 or 6 of you scream loudly about it doesn't mean your opinion is anywhere near the consensus.  Just read this thread.  Seems to me more people are in favor of letting Fitz walk while about 99% of fans wanted to see Idzik gone.

Archived