Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

10 hours ago, jetsfan719 said:

I added that picture because if osweiler isnt gona be denvers qb...then who? They surely arent drafting one at 32....i really think fitz would be their option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they proved last year they could win w/ any QB.  I doubt they overpay for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, Fitz on a career year, misses the playoffs and everyone is falling all over themselves to want him back.  

I think many Jet fans are so used to losing that losing well is enough for them.  

I have come to understand the logic of most fans, they like individual #s and not winning for some reason.  Most fans would rather have a good #s guy and lose than an average/bad #s guy and win.

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, Fitz on a career year, misses the playoffs and everyone is falling all over themselves to want him back.  

I think many Jet fans are so used to losing that losing well is enough for them.  

Come on dude, please tell me you have not fallen into this stupid trap of just trotting out playoffs as a the one and only metric to look at a QB.  The team won 4 friggin games the year before, they won 10 this past year, they choked in buffalo no question but the offense was productive all season, the top Wr had a career year and for the 1st time in years the offense was fun to watch and consistent.  People act as if it was a given the jets were going to win 12 games and be a playoff team for sure when we all know the best case scenario from most people going into the year was to get into the playoffs of be in contention.

And as usual when it comes down to dumping Fitzpatrick the same unanswered question has remained for all the months people want to get rid of him.  Who are we going to get right now, this year that will be better and give us a better chance at the playoffs?

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Come on dude, please tell me you have not fallen into this stupid trap of just trotting out playoffs as a the one and only metric to look at a QB.  The team won 4 friggin games the year before, they won 10 this past year, they choked in buffalo no question but the offense was productive all season, the top Wr had a career year and for the 1st time in years the offense was fun to watch and consistent.  People act as if it was a given the jets were going to win 12 games and be a playoff team for sure when we all know the best case scenario from most people going into the year was to get into the playoffs of be in contention.

And as usual when it comes down to dumping Fitzpatrick the same unanswered question has remained for all the months people want to get rid of him.  Who are we going to get right now, this year that will be better and give us a better chance at the playoffs?

the team was much more talented in 2015 than 2014, we had playoff talent and despite a weak sched we couldn't make it.  I want Fitz back but it makes no sense to overpay him.  he hd a good year until we needed him most but the key to that O was Brandon marshall not Ryan Fitzpatrick.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Sounds absurd to say but recently Fitz was a much better QB than Peyton.

If they can win the Superbowl with a washed up Manning they could do the same with Fitz.

I hope he goes there and does well.

Time to see what Petty has to offer.

I pretty much said the same thing in another thread.

It's a two horse race for Osweiler, the Texans are making a serious play for him.

If that's the case, it makes sense that the Broncos in turn  go hard after Fitzpatrick.

If a washed up Payton Manning can take the Bronco's to a a Super Bowl win, I expect FItzpatrick to fancy his chances doing the same.

I like Fitzpatrick on the Jets but given that we pay qb money to Revis, and a boat load of money to an aging OLIne,

I don't think we can afford anything over 10 a year with 20 guaranteed.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the team was much more talented in 2015 than 2014, we had playoff talent and despite a weak sched we couldn't make it.  I want Fitz back but it makes no sense to overpay him.  he hd a good year until we needed him most but the key to that O was Brandon marshall not Ryan Fitzpatrick.

No argument about not over paying Fitzpatrick at this point however he is going to get over paid by someone even the jets.  And we still have not answered the question, who is going to play Qb that is going to be more effective than Fitz was last year?

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No argument about not over paying Fitzpatrick at this point however he is going to get over paid by someone even the jets.  And we still have not answered the question, who is going to play Qb that is going to be more effective than Fitz was last year?

The main reason why fitz was effective last year was that he was making $4M, if the jets give him the $15-18M that he's reportedly demanding you're going to have to weaken the roster. Sign Drew Stanton for $4M and spend the money on some actual talent

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

With the easiest schedule in the league he only beat 2 teams with winning and records the Jets failed to make the playoffs because of his play in the last game of the season....

Carry on. 

The Jets beat ONE team with a winning record you dingbat in 2015. ONE.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't know the answer but I wouldn't cripple the cap by overspending just b/c another team can.  we can miss the playoffs w/ another QB next year too.

54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I have come to understand the logic of most fans, they like individual #s and not winning for some reason.  Most fans would rather have a good #s guy and lose than an average/bad #s guy and win.

Please tell me you dont actually believe your own words, most of us are Jets fans

6 minutes ago, cant wait said:

The main reason why fitz was effective last year was that he was making $4M, if the jets give him the $15-18M that he's reportedly demanding you're going to have to weaken the roster. Sign Drew Stanton for $4M and spend the money on some actual talent

Well no, the main reason he was effective was he played really well for all but about 2 games but I get your point.  A roster of Drew Stanton, Geno and petty is worth about 6 wins probably.  If the jets are going for a reset and a rebuild then so be it but Drew Stanton is not going to get you into the playoffs which is the metric people love throwing around here.  What did you have in mind for 'actual talent'?

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Let's give some credit to our offensive weapons like Marshall & Decker too. Stop looking at Fitzy through a pin hole. How many plays did Marshall make on his own? How about when he took a 5 yard pass & dragged 3 defenders into the endzone. How about the short throw that he plucked off the ground (another bad pass from Fitz) and straight armed his way to another TD. Other than running out of the pocket (where he got hurt by not sliding) nothing he did was in the spectacular realm. He just ran the offense that Chan did a great job putting together throwing to the best WRs this team has had since Keyshawn & Chrebet. 

He struggled EVERY SINGLE GAME that our running game was stifled. Which tells you that when a DC took that away & forced him into making plays in the passing game in 2nd & 3rd and long he was exposed. That's what Rex did twice. 

It really sucks that our entire season rides on whether a journeyman QB that was in the perfect position to succeed last year might leave because another team might overpay for his services because of the QB shortage in this league. Josh McCown played like Fitz 2 years ago in Chicago, it happens, but these guys always seem to slip back to the mean. We needed Fitz to just make 1 play to get to the playoffs, he did what his history tells you, forced a ball into Decker by locking into him the second he took that snap. Ivory was WIDE OPEN in the flat on that play. I'd hate to be Mac in this position not having a plan B.

Please lord let Petty be our savior! We have to get lucky sometime, right?

Quality post!

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't know the answer but I wouldn't cripple the cap by overspending just b/c another team can.  we can miss the playoffs w/ another QB next year too.

Our cap is already crippled.  Hey i am not in favor of overpaying Fitz to any gross amount at all.  If he is priced to high let him walk but if that happens we as jets fans better be ready for a rebuilding season and a pretty low win total.  I think he will be signed and for an amount that most people on here will scream bloody murder about.

Just now, cant wait said:

The patriots JV squad?

Yeah, that's about right. The Patsies were missing almost all of their main weapons. They weren't even a shell of the normal team they are. The Jets only won because the Patsies were missing so many weapons. But still they beat them, so it counts as a win against a team with a winning record. Joewilly wonka, however, thinks that the Jets beat the Redskins and they were a winning team. Well, they had a LOSING record when we beat them. Talk about exaggeration king. Anyway, he's entitled to his delirium. But I can't imagine many posters take him too seriously???

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well no, the main reason he was effective was he played really well for all but about 2 games but I get your point.  A roster of Drew Stanton, Geno and petty is worth about 6 wins probably.  If the jets are going for a reset and a rebuild then so be it but Drew Stanton is not going to get you into the playoffs which is the metric people love throwing around here.  What did you have in mind for 'actual talent'?

Stanton is really not far off from Fitzpatrick, he's played well and has proven to be a competent backup caliber talent. The jets need to pick up depth at LB and RB for one, you can't expect to fill all of these holes with draft picks

24 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Stanton is already signed for 2 years $6.5M

19 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Yeah, that's about right. The Patsies were missing almost all of their main weapons. They weren't even a shell of the normal team they are. The Jets only won because the Patsies were missing so many weapons. But still they beat them, so it counts as a win against a team with a winning record. Joewilly wonka, however, thinks that the Jets beat the Redskins and they were a winning team. Well, they had a LOSING record when we beat them. Talk about exaggeration king. Anyway, he's entitled to his delirium. But I can't imagine many posters take him too seriously???

about as seriously as we take you.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The problem with this mindset is it does not allow for incremental improvement or building a winner over time.

We didn't "lose well" last year, we made a massive stride from league laughing stock, worst QB in NFL, Rex Ryan is a joke 4 win team to year-long contender, broke QB team records, two great WR's, competitive and respectable 10 win team.

But clearly, for some, thats not good enough.  We must gut the 10 win team, and start over at QB every year with someone with "upside" on the off chance they get in in their 4th year at QB after 3 years of blatant failure.  And if we win 4 games, "at least we know what we have".

This is the Cleveland Browns mindset.  Blow it up, every year.  No Title means failure, so blow it all up.

We're in a perfect spot to develop our own QB, Petty, and give him time (needed, given his college system) and still be competitive, respectable and have a chance at the postseason.

But we have a material portion of our fan base who would rather lose 15 games with a Geno, or a Glennon, or rush Petty, than to be patient and build a legit competitor.

It's irrelevant that we've waited however many years, that has no bearing on how to manage and NFL team now.  This administration needs time to do it and do it right, do it like the Steelers, the Pats, like a pro.  Slow, development, grow and consistency.

What I liked last year was being competitive and professional.  And yes, winning 10 games.  Do I think Fitz is a long term title winner?  No, frankly.  But he's the perfect QB to use to bridge us to Petty, or to a 2016 Draft Pick (as needed).  To avoid the pitfalls we fall into every time, with Sanchez (rushed, no competition, never won the job) and Geno (rushed, no competition, never won the job).

It's a lost cause, lets fire Petty too, and sign Geno and trade for Glennon.  10 year deals each.  One of them is bound to win it all, right?

16 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Curious - do either of these count as beating winning teams?

When the 3-0 Bengals beat the 1-2 Chiefs who finished 11-5

when the 2-3 Saints beat the 5-0 Falcons who finished 8-8

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The problem with this mindset is it does not allow for incremental improvement or building a winner over time.

We didn't "lose well" last year, we made a massive stride from league laughing stock, worst QB in NFL, Rex Ryan is a joke 4 win team to year-long contender, broke QB team records, two great WR's, competitive and respectable 10 win team.

But clearly, for some, thats not good enough.  We must gut the 10 win team, and start over at QB every year with someone with "upside" on the off chance they get in in their 4th year at QB after 3 years of blatant failure.  And if we win 4 games, "at least we know what we have".

This is the Cleveland Browns mindset.  Blow it up, every year.  No Title means failure, so blow it all up.

We're in a perfect spot to develop our own QB, Petty, and give him time (needed, given his college system) and still be competitive, respectable and have a chance at the postseason.

But we have a material portion of our fan base who would rather lose 15 games with a Geno, or a Glennon, or rush Petty, than to be patient and build a legit competitor.

It's irrelevant that we've waited however many years, that has no bearing on how to manage and NFL team now.  This administration needs time to do it and do it right, do it like the Steelers, the Pats, like a pro.  Slow, development, grow and consistency.

What I liked last year was being competitive and professional.  And yes, winning 10 games.  Do I think Fitz is a long term title winner?  No, frankly.  But he's the perfect QB to use to bridge us to Petty, or to a 2016 Draft Pick (as needed).  To avoid the pitfalls we fall into every time, with Sanchez (rushed, no competition, never won the job) and Geno (rushed, no competition, never won the job).

Agreed, but the bolded above is a very tough pill to swallow when you are an older (middle aged) fan like myself.  So I understand the emotion behind the impatience of the fan base.  But in the end, you are correct. 

7 minutes ago, ljr said:

Curious - do either of these count as beating winning teams?

When the 3-0 Bengals beat the 1-2 Chiefs who finished 11-5

when the 2-3 Saints beat the 5-0 Falcons who finished 8-8

don't confuse\rile him

46 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Please tell me you dont actually believe your own words, most of us are Jets fans

Unfortunately I do, there's no other way when fans tell me how great Ken O'brien was, how bad Chad Pennington was, how bad Mark sanchez was and how great Fitz was.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Certainly not trolling on the playoff thing, I'm not sure how you're not seeing some validity in it.  Is the Jet offense going to better than last year, with Fitz?  I have a hard time believing they will.

I do understand the reasoning behind wanting to keep Fitzpatrick - I don't dislike the guy or the way he played last year.  I'm just a little more aggressive than most on wanting to win a championship.  I would much rather take a chance on a younger guy with the natural skill set to be a legitimate starting caliber NFL QB.  

I do not believe this team has any chance of winning a championship with Fitzpatrick.  I liked him when he was making back-up money, but if you're gonna pay him starter money I would rather go with a  younger QB with more potential upside and spend the money on other positions of need.

Denver just won a SB with the worst QB play in the NFL last season.  They just offered OZ 3/45 and he balked, which is dumb.  Like JiF said, who's paying him that?

According to the Post, NYJ are floating $8-10M a year while Fitz is looking for $15-18M per.  Fitz would definitely be an option for Denver and I think Fitz would jump on a 3/36 to 3/45 deal if Denver offered him that.

Denver has weapons and a great defense that could mask Fitz's short comings.  It would be a shrewd move by Elway.

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Certainly not trolling on the playoff thing, I'm not sure how you're not seeing some validity in it.  Is the Jet offense going to better than last year, with Fitz?  I have a hard time believing they will.

I do understand the reasoning behind wanting to keep Fitzpatrick - I don't dislike the guy or the way he played last year.  I'm just a little more aggressive than most on wanting to win a championship.  I would much rather take a chance on a younger guy with the natural skill set to be a legitimate starting caliber NFL QB.  

I do not believe this team has any chance of winning a championship with Fitzpatrick.  I liked him when he was making back-up money, but if you're gonna pay him starter money I would rather go with a  younger QB with more potential upside and spend the money on other positions of need.

No the Jets offense will not be better with Fitz, it was actually outstanding with him last year and it could be argued that a number of our loses should have been pinned squarely on the defense.  I don't disagree with your premise but I really do disagree with your thoughts on the execution of it, because this younger, promising guy with a skill set is a unicorn.

There is no one around like that to be had right now outside of the draft and the Jets will most likely draft a Qb this year, so the thought is do you give the young guy a year or so to learn or do you toss him to the lions?  Something we have repeatedly done the last 10 years.

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

who would that be?

5 minutes ago, SMC said:

Denver just won a SB with the worst QB play in the NFL last season.  They just offered OZ 3/45 and he balked, which is dumb.  Like JiF said, who's paying him that?

According to the Post, NYJ are floating $8-10M a year while Fitz is looking for $15-18M per.  Fitz would definitely be an option for Denver and I think Fitz would jump on a 3/36 to 3/45 deal if Denver offered him that.

Denver has weapons and a great defense that could mask Fitz's short comings.  It would be a shrewd move by Elway.

so if Fitz goes to Denver and Osweiler goes to Houston and Sanchez goes to back up Foles in LA, who does that leave us with?

geno-smith-broken-jaw-new-york-jets-2015

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In your aggressivity to win a championship that goes above ours ... Who is this young guy with the natural skill set you are so admiring of?

35 minutes ago, ljr said:

In your aggressivity to win a championship that goes above ours ... Who is this young guy with the natural skill set you are so admiring of?

I could think of a number worthy of pursuing.  I'm not saying these guys are the answers but I would prefer taking a shot than bring back Fitz on starter money...

Kaep, RG3, Ostweiler and yes Geno...

I realize those are either difficult gets or have proven at times to be unsuccessful.  I'm not saying they're a lock to be good, or even that there's a good chance they will be...but I believe they have a better chance than Fitz..

The final point I'm making about these guys - Everyone seems to love Fitz, yet when any of these guys get brought up the majority of this board sh-- on the idea.  

Archived